Special Hull Plate Contest

Comments

• MasaGeirevaMasaGeireva Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 225015Members
    edited December 2016
    My Favorite moment in Subnautica was when I found the cat "Keep Calm" poster.

Though a close second was when I had a grappling arm and a drilling arm on my PRAWN suit and decided to take on a Reaper Leviathan. I was doing really good, for a while, hooking to the back of his head and drilling away, every once in a while getting grabbed and munched on. I retreated to the safe shallows nearby to repair the suit, when suddenly it comes out of the ground and steals my PRAWN suit away, destroying the PRAWN in its jaws. It then started stalking Lifepod 5 for the rest of that save file's life, until I made a new one with the Precursor update.

My third favorite story is when I tried to do Hardcore for the first time following the Precursor update (and the above mentioned save). I was excited, all ready to go... and then realized that nothing had spawned. No fish, no limestone... I saved and reloaded, and still nothing. Thinking it to be a fluke, I tried a brand new hardcore save, after resetting Subnautica completely. Same result. After the third attempt, I gave up and decided that the game did not want me to play Hardcore.
  • saltyspeculasaltyspecula Join Date: 2016-12-20 Member: 225227Members
    My favourite story happened yesterday.

I left my Lost River Research Station outpost base and returned to my safe shallows first base for a few things I had left behind. I kept hearing a Reaper Leviathan screaming, even though I shouldn't. I turned to the window and there was one in the safe shallows right next to my starting lifepod. I used my remaining materials to create and upgrade a second combat focused prawn suit and then engaged the Leviathan.

It picked me up, pushed me through the ground and dropped me. I fell through the world and finally landed in the depths of the Inactive Lava Zone. I had to slowly walk my way back up from the Inactive Lava Zone to the surface and from there got out of my docked prawn, pulled out my combat knife and stasis gun. I proceeded to keep it stuck in stasis outside my base and then blunt 3 knives on it's face until it finally died.

On the upside, I got a free, completely safe Leviathan scan for my logbook now! :D
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    edited December 2016
    My favourite story happened yesterday.

I left my Lost River Research Station outpost base and returned to my safe shallows first base for a few things I had left behind. I kept hearing a Reaper Leviathan screaming, even though I shouldn't. I turned to the window and there was one in the safe shallows right next to my starting lifepod. I used my remaining materials to create and upgrade a second combat focused prawn suit and then engaged the Leviathan.

It picked me up, pushed me through the ground and dropped me. I fell through the world and finally landed in the depths of the Inactive Lava Zone. I had to slowly walk my way back up from the Inactive Lava Zone to the surface and from there got out of my docked prawn, pulled out my combat knife and stasis gun. I proceeded to keep it stuck in stasis outside my base and then blunt 3 knives on it's face until it finally died.

On the upside, I got a free, completely safe Leviathan scan for my logbook now! :D

That is EPIC! And also seriously tenacious of you!

EDIT: My impression of this subnautican adventure:
    ya3f9tsf9znd.jpg
  • PhilantrollPhilantroll France Join Date: 2016-12-28 Member: 225598Members
    My favorite story in Subnautica is when the game scared me and I almost sharted myself.
  • mmayf91mmayf91 Join Date: 2016-12-28 Member: 225603Members
    My Favorite Subnautica Moment was when i was just wandering around the Arorua and Suddenly A Reaper Leviathan Glitches Right In front of me.
    it never happened to me again but it needs to die.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
  • Crossx2Crossx2 Join Date: 2017-01-01 Member: 225886Members
    Best story of Subnautica, I was observing a reaper in what I thought was the safety of my cyclops once. It proceeded to stick its head through the window and grab me. I learned that day the long arm of the (ocean) law.
  • ProcsanProcsan Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225908Members
    My favorite moment in Subnautica was when I saw the concept art of the ghost leviathan after building my base in the lost river.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Crossx2 wrote: »
    Best story of Subnautica, I was observing a reaper in what I thought was the safety of my cyclops once. It proceeded to stick its head through the window and grab me. I learned that day the long arm of the (ocean) law.

You mean it grab'ed you from inside the Cyclops? It can do that really?! OMFG and i thought i was safe in there! i'll never feel godlike anymore in there from now on!
  • Mordecai WalfishMordecai Walfish Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164803Members
    My favorite experience so far was encountering the reaper leviathan for the first time. Literally jumped out of my seat and almost shat myself. Everything was so peaceful, just minding my own business and mining for ore when WHAM huge sea leviathan with fucking mandibles on its face grabs me and shakes my seamoth to shit, leaving it with 30% health. Once I realized it hadn't killed me I noped the fuck out of there and just observed it from a safe distance, eventually building up the guts to swim close and try to scan it after saving. I never watched any promo videos for the game or had any spoilers going into it, so experiencing what lies beneath the depths without any spoilers first has been as rewarding an experience as I could have hoped for in this game. I'm constantly discovering new, awesome stuff. Love it.
  • ZaptyZapty Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 225978Members
    I got this game in the Winter sale, so I don't have much time in it.

I was on Mountain Island, walking around, when I saw a flying stingray. I wondered if I could ride it, so I waited until it flew near the hill I was standing, then I jumped on it. It spun around and then started to fly over the island.

Then I fell off and died.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Zapty wrote: »
    I got this game in the Winter sale, so I don't have much time in it.

I was on Mountain Island, walking around, when I saw a flying stingray. I wondered if I could ride it, so I waited until it flew near the hill I was standing, then I jumped on it. It spun around and then started to fly over the island.

Then I fell off and died.

That is called a Skyray. And I must say, well done on actually getting on it in the first place. That in itself should be an achievement. I for one can't get near the things without it flying to high for me to jump on.
  • NachoboyNachoboy Join Date: 2016-12-30 Member: 225727Members
    edited January 2017
    One of my favorite moments was trying to battle the "sea Dragon leviathan".

I decided to take the PRAWN with a drill arm and a grappling hook upgrade to kill it. I traveled for ages until i ran up to the lava castle and found one of those hot little potatoes. I grappled on to it and started yelling "YEAH, YOU LIKE THIS STUPID, HUH?? DO YA??" as the drill was in his face probably dealing no damage. So the whole time it's trying to swim in circles to get me as i'm hooked onto his belly following next to him, my middle finger started to cramp during the whole thing because i couldn't let go of the grapple! The Sea dragon was trying to knock me away with no effectiveness as well as shooting random fireballs and actually hitting me despite the grappling hook pulling me around. So i just continue to drill at his eye balls or anything else i could hit while flying around hitting the terrain while enduring random lag spikes from the terrain loading/unloading, it was such a great time.

About 10 minutes later and 1 break for repairs i THOUGHT he was just bout to die, then suddenly he de-spawned and all my hard work went deeper into the abyss than the depths i was currently at >_< 10/10 would have an enemy de-spawn mid fight.
  • bradgillapbradgillap Welland, Ontario Canada Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 225992Members
    It has been a long time since a game has really sucked me in this one.

Racking up over 80 hours in a little over a week that I was off on holiday. My favorite moment so far was probably while I was in the Cyclops and took a brief moment away from looking at the sea dragon after a long slow drive through caves, stopping to pickup stuff on the way. I turned around to go deal with power and after I entered the second room my entire screen went sideways. The damn dragon took a run at my Cyclops! The Cyclops swayed around naturally until it finally corrected itself but it had shook my screen up and startled me so much that I decided it was time to leave that neighborhood.

I caught some nice screens of my adventure tonight.

https://i.imgur.com/T2lSHoh.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/B42DuzZ.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/GJtUAzu.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/Wu21r5G.jpg
  • OwlikatOwlikat Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 225999Members
    I'm quite new to Subnautica, though I've loosely followed it for a while. I don't have many stories yet, since I'm still struggling with a few technical issues, but from my time playing.. Building my second base ever (after restarting once) felt so rewarding. It's such a tiny little thing, just two hallways and a pipe going up to the surface with another glass hallway at the top, but it feels more like home than any base I've ever built in any game that allowed anything like a home base to exist. It's amazing how, after journeying across the dark, threatening ocean abyss, you can feel so happy to be inside a tiny, but well lit little tube. Scooting across the ocean only to finally make it back as the sun sets feels so damn rewarding, I don't know how the game manages to do it so well.

Here's a picture. Again, it's not much, but I'll take this thing to the dark ocean any day.

cKHsvvB.jpg

Hopefully that's enough. I'm looking forward to further optimization and polish so I can get back to playing again!
  • LordPotatoTheXXXVIIILordPotatoTheXXXVIII Wasilla, AK Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226007Members
    Your best subnautica story huh? Mine is easily my first face to face encounter with a reaper.

I was zooming around the northeast mushroom forest in my semi-new sea moth, looking for the elusive final "cyclops engine fragment" after discovering the bridge and hull when poking around the map searching for magnetite for thermal plants. When met with no success I decided to check the outer crash zone border, right on the reaper spawn.

I didn't know it was a reaper spawn, and barely knew what a reaper was. All I had seen was a lucky glimpse followed a short panic dash to the ship entrance when I saw a giant snake with pokey mandible things ready to eat me and my battery sucking seaglide. I promptly booked it to the nearest safe-ish zone available.

At the forest I was thinking of going back after ending up with a bad combination of horrible driving skills and the bright idea to leave my welder to save a single inventory slot when I run right into, literally, both a reaper and the argueably the most feared bug in the game. Yes, I had been driving RIGHT BY THE REAPER SPAWN when the son of a gun popped in right in my face. The impact with the reaper alone brought my sea moth from ~50 health to 38. Than it turned around.

Oddly calm but still very spooked I looked at my situation. Knowing that my seamoth was toast I swam as fast as I could away, back into the forest. I took stock of what I had. No seaglide, left it with the welder. Only one O2 tank with me. Figured that I could make it to the surface with 20 seconds of oxygen. So I waited. I listened to the reaper scream it's lungs out. I waited a bit past the first O2 warning.

Than I swam up. And lo and behold the reaper was right above my face. Fully panicked this time I swam sideways hoping to avoid it, not even thinking about oxygen anymore. Than the world started to fade to black. I failed to react in time to see where, exactly, was up. I gave my blind and dying character my best guess and mourned all the lithium and titanium I had acquired in my journey. Than, as if a blessing from the heavens, *foomp.* I thought I had died, realized that I hadn't, than looked down and had just enough time to appreciate the absurdity of what had just happened. I had hit an air bubble from the purple coral. Than the reaper decided to remind me of his presence, forcefully. I stared at that screen, long after the death animation had finished, so long I got food warnings, just trying to understand what had just happened.

This game is awesome, and can really scare the heck out of you when it wants to. The devs are doing a great job on this one and despite being an early access game and still full of bugs is easily one of my favorite games of all time.
  • BeckysFootSlaveBeckysFootSlave Germany Join Date: 2016-12-27 Member: 225560Members
    The best Story is Subnautica itself! Amazing Game!

Would be awesome if you decide to sell single HullPlates (with custom logo, custom text) as DLC on STEAM Subnautica Shopsite!!!

I would pay up to 5$ for it, and it would also help the Development with extra Money!

THANKS for THIS awesome GAME!!!
  • KiuxKiux Private? Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226016Members

Well, My favourite story would be the first time I launched it, and playing it for way too many hours. I suppose there's not much to be done in here, as we all experienced the "awe's" we had
  • EpiphemeralEpiphemeral GA Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226042Members
    Hmm... what would be one interesting story I have to share?

Well, when I built a cyclops for the first time in ages, I decided to go all out and FLESH OUT the entire interior of it to make it homely. I suppose those two hours of meticulous homemaking worked out at the end.
    1. A Fabricator at the bottom level next to the entrance ladder, with loads of lockers lined up.
    2. Placed a bed in the command room, so I view the ocean while I sleep.
    3. A pot of mini marblemelon so I'll never run hungry
    4. A pot of lantern tree in the living room, with a bench and aquarium next to it.
    5. A vending machine. Why not?
    6. A section allocated for 2 battery chargers and 3 power cell chargers. UNLIMITED POWEEEEEERRR!!!
    7. A picture frame in the command room to frame my handy map of the game. Helps a lot in navigation! You should definitely check it out if you haven't already :P
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=595137118
    Your best subnautica story huh? Mine is easily my first face to face encounter with a reaper.
    I was zooming around the northeast mushroom forest in my semi-new sea moth, looking for the elusive final "cyclops engine fragment" after discovering the bridge and hull when poking around the map searching for magnetite for thermal plants. When met with no success I decided to check the outer crash zone border, right on the reaper spawn.

I didn't know it was a reaper spawn, and barely knew what a reaper was. All I had seen was a lucky glimpse followed a short panic dash to the ship entrance when I saw a giant snake with pokey mandible things ready to eat me and my battery sucking seaglide. I promptly booked it to the nearest safe-ish zone available.

At the forest I was thinking of going back after ending up with a bad combination of horrible driving skills and the bright idea to leave my welder to save a single inventory slot when I run right into, literally, both a reaper and the argueably the most feared bug in the game. Yes, I had been driving RIGHT BY THE REAPER SPAWN when the son of a gun popped in right in my face. The impact with the reaper alone brought my sea moth from ~50 health to 38. Than it turned around.

Oddly calm but still very spooked I looked at my situation. Knowing that my seamoth was toast I swam as fast as I could away, back into the forest. I took stock of what I had. No seaglide, left it with the welder. Only one O2 tank with me. Figured that I could make it to the surface with 20 seconds of oxygen. So I waited. I listened to the reaper scream it's lungs out. I waited a bit past the first O2 warning.

Than I swam up. And lo and behold the reaper was right above my face. Fully panicked this time I swam sideways hoping to avoid it, not even thinking about oxygen anymore. Than the world started to fade to black. I failed to react in time to see where, exactly, was up. I gave my blind and dying character my best guess and mourned all the lithium and titanium I had acquired in my journey. Than, as if a blessing from the heavens, *foomp.* I thought I had died, realized that I hadn't, than looked down and had just enough time to appreciate the absurdity of what had just happened. I had hit an air bubble from the purple coral. Than the reaper decided to remind me of his presence, forcefully. I stared at that screen, long after the death animation had finished, so long I got food warnings, just trying to understand what had just happened.

This game is awesome, and can really scare the heck out of you when it wants to. The devs are doing a great job on this one and despite being an early access game and still full of bugs is easily one of my favorite games of all time.

This needs more awesomes.
  • KoryuKoryu Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226051Members
    Probably my favorite was the first time playing I wandered too close to the Aurora and found out it was about to explode while I was on the little bit of land next to it. I did not survive the resulting explosion.
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    I was going to the bones with a cyclops and all of a sudden steam started downloading something.
    I looked back at the game only to notice that the chunks were loading slowly and all of a sudden it was loading chunks from the jelly shrooms while also the bones too.
    I'll see if I can find my screenshot. (btw i was using mods again so likely not a subnautica bug?)
  • CrimtosCrimtos Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226109Members
    My favorite story in Subnautica was when I found all the parts to the cyclops by accident before I found the mobile vehicle bay.
  • Rising_DuskRising_Dusk USA Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221320Members
    My favorite story in Subnautica?

I'd have to say the first time I went to the Sea Treader path, as strange as that may sound. I had never seen one of these creatures before, and when I encountered my first herd it was exciting. Then, after I followed them looking for manure to power my base and started heading back, I heard the sound of a number of creatures popping into existence and... I was attacked by four warpers at once in my PRAWN suit. At the time I had the propulsion cannon and drill arm equipped, so I maneuvered in epic combat to dodge the attacks, picked up shale outcrops, and launched them at the creatures until they teleported away. I managed to do so well in the encounter that I never once got teleported out of my PRAWN, and yet the thing was sparking by the end from their claw attacks. I quickly fled at that point and made it back home.

None of my encounters with reaper leviathans or even the dragon leviathan have since been as stressful as that warper battle. Hopefully you enjoyed the story! :)
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    My favorite story in Subnautica?

I'd have to say the first time I went to the Sea Treader path, as strange as that may sound. I had never seen one of these creatures before, and when I encountered my first herd it was exciting. Then, after I followed them looking for manure to power my base and started heading back, I heard the sound of a number of creatures popping into existence and... I was attacked by four warpers at once in my PRAWN suit. At the time I had the propulsion cannon and drill arm equipped, so I maneuvered in epic combat to dodge the attacks, picked up shale outcrops, and launched them at the creatures until they teleported away. I managed to do so well in the encounter that I never once got teleported out of my PRAWN, and yet the thing was sparking by the end from their claw attacks. I quickly fled at that point and made it back home.

None of my encounters with reaper leviathans or even the dragon leviathan have since been as stressful as that warper battle. Hopefully you enjoyed the story! :)

No matter how dangerous the Leviathans get, Warpers will always be more dangerous in my book.

Good job on dodging those warp spheres, I can barely dodge one in my PRAWN.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Closing in a few hours! Wonderful stories so far!
  • TheRelmLordTheRelmLord The Void Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226060Members
    Ok. My Story Has No Pictures. But Its In Orbit. It Starts With The Rich Clan Orbiting Station Launching A Scientific Probe. One That Uses A Parachute. Reason For The Parachute? The Atmosphere Being Visible. So. It Starts Falling. Parachute Deploys. Then Its Destroyed By The Precursor Gun. Causing Use Of The Planetary Self Destruct System (A Requirement To Be Brought From The Storage Facility With Hundreds Or Thousands Of These Orbiting Gamma Ray Cannons). It Does Not Use The Gamma Ray Cannon Though. (This Is Because It Needs The Planet To Survive) It Uses Missiles Instead. Atleast 200,000,000,000,000,000 Missiles Were Launched. (I Have The Game Allready.) I Dont Know If I Would Continue This. But Im Putting This On A Cliff Hanger. Due To Writers Block.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Subnautica stories?

*polite cough*
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    And the winner is @Epiphemeral ! I will get the information to you soon. This process takes some work as the wonderful Lukas will have to do the process for the first time in ages.
    It's been great fun reading everything you guys have experienced. Feel free to keep on sharing.