'BOREALIS RISING' - A Subnautica Story V2.0.

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Dang, NS2 has got nothing on this action.

Or gore for that matter. If you excuse me, I'm going to go throw up.
  • CalvinTheDiverCalvinTheDiver A place Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222971Members
    This has more views than Aurora Falls got while it was being written. Congratulations!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    This has more views than Aurora Falls got while it was being written. Congratulations!

FTFY.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    This fight is exciting, but needs one more thing...

"Distant roar"

Oh noes...
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    This fight is exciting, but needs one more thing...

"Distant roar"

Oh noes...

I'll bet you set a trail-cam up for Santa, too.
  • CalvinTheDiverCalvinTheDiver A place Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222971Members
    (drags thread up from the depths and gives it CPR)
  • CryleveCryleve U.S Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219723Members
    This is either the End for Selkirk's Operation or still just the beginning!
    Uses CPR again
    (Julian got banned and brought a lot of threads to the top, somehow burying this one.)
  • TheRelmLordTheRelmLord The Void Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226060Members
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    Hello Bugzapper! Just wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed reading Borealis Rising! I've followed Aurora Falls since the start, and I just wanted to say thank you for writing this!
    Just one thing: is it just me, or is Rising significantly shorter than Aurora Falls? I mean, Selkirk discovered the Lost River, went to assist the colonists in the Lava Castle, and then actually evacuated the colonists to Kaori-san no-shima. Heloise and Selkirk hooked up, construction on Borealis began, and then there was a meeting with Father of Tides. After that, Selkirk went to investigate the Lava Castle, met with Keeper of Memories, killed Polyakov and his team, went back to Kaori-san no-shima, and now has returned to the Lava Castle a second time to purge it of Kharaa.

What I'm trying to say is it seems kind of early to be at the climax already. I'm not trying to offend you or anything, I'm just wondering how Borealis is so short compared to Aurora Falls.
    @the_mariner I admit to a certain amount of time compression in the storyline of 'Borealis Rising', although it has little bearing on the actual length of the story.

I usually step up the pace whenever I sense folks are getting restless. Most times, I rely on my own gut feeling to crank things up.

Rest assured that 'Borealis Rising' isn't a quickie sequel. We're up to 120 pages so far, and there's quite a bit more story to come. If the updates seem to be coming in too slowly, please bear in mind that I'm still in holiday goof-off mode. Just kicking back a little, that's all.
  • Quantum_AnomalyQuantum_Anomaly Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218496Members
    I honestly didnt think this was the main climax. There are a LOT of ways the story can go from here, and things can get MUCH more dangerous, especially dependent on if the respawners in Kaori bring back any analyzed Kharra DNA on our hosts from the lava castle before their last respawn. (Kaori could be turned in to a hive while everyone is outside of comms range in the lava castle) Then we have a LOOOONG trip back to civilized space, where you can get in to real interpersonal drama, not to mention that all hell will likely break loose when criminal Selkirk the android gets put up on charges when he returns, that is if society is even cohesive when he gets back.

Anything can happen, and I trust Bugzapper to ensure that we have no idea what's coming until it hits us in the face.

Take your time and enjoy your holiday break!
  • Tmart94Tmart94 u.s Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216043Members
    I hope it's not the case. But I can't help but think that Héloise is too exposed to pass through this unscathed. I would hate for it to happen, but innocent people dying due to his actions seems to be a trend in his existence. At any rate I am completely entralled. Keep up the great work bugzapper!!
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    In its own way, that gaunt silence was infinitely more terrifying.

Kind of like how Bugzapper's silence is terrifying. Come on, @Bugzapper , one last push before the end! I've been on pins and needles for days!

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    What's going to come first? The dragons in game of thrones or a page in borealis rising?
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    edited January 2017
    We had to compress a three metre-thick wall of mattresses into a 200mm-thick barrier layer. That alone involved some serious effort... And, Baat Torgal's exceedingly shiny basalt table.

Suck it, corporatism! :D
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    edited January 2017
    Second paragraph Mr.Zapper I noticed a small error your tired eyes may have over looked!

In fact, the true magnitude of the explosion was far more obvious through the soles of our feet. The basalt floor of the foyer rang like a huge, dull bell underfoot. My sensors detected two discrete detonations, almost perfectly overlapping. Precisely how I wanted it to happen. Those seismic charges may have been may have been much-needed lower in mass than the 50 or so kilograms of Molanex embedded in the door, although those charges were loaded with a particularly powerful compound called GelMax. Seismic survey techniques require a long, steady boom to image deep geology clearly, and GelMax is the right stuff for the job. Most definitely a case of 'more bang for your buck'.

Sorry to just point it out like that!

But back to the point! The way this is shaping up I feel like for better or worse our dear Selkirk and Co. Are about to under go somthing very dramatic and or "life changing"
    Second paragraph Mr.Zapper I noticed a small error your tired eyes may have over looked!

... Those seismic charges may have been may have been

Tired eyes, indeed. I was completely hammered by 01:30. Good catch!

Thanks! :)
    I've a feeling Selkirk is going to regret a certain amount of knowledge about the Valkyrie field that certain individuals possessed prior to their assimilation. Assuming the Kharaa can actually use that to their advantage (ie, capture, not kill, thus preventing its activation).
    edited January 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I've a feeling Selkirk is going to regret a certain amount of knowledge about the Valkyrie field that certain individuals possessed prior to their assimilation. Assuming the Kharaa can actually use that to their advantage (ie, capture, not kill, thus preventing its activation).

Unfortunately, the Lava Castle's Valkyrie Field is currently offline, due to massive damage to the base's power grid. The only operational Field is on Kaori-san no-shima.

And it won't work on Selkirk... He's an android.

If the Kharaa Hive wants to use the Field to resurrect their own warriors, they'll have to reverse-engineer a working version and tailor it to suit their physical characteristics.
    Might be a tricky proposition for a species that doesn't directly use any form of 'hard' technology.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Unfortunately, the Lava Castle's Valkyrie Field is currently offline due to massive damage to the power grid. The only operational Field is on Kaori-san no-shima.

And it won't work on Selkirk... He's an android.

I was under the impression Selkirk didn't need one due to daily backups while he dreams (same for the AIs although they're actually kind of omnipresent IIRC?). So that means bad news for Heloise then, unless there's a way to manually trigger a Valkyrie field upon return (maybe by bringing a body back? But the Kharaa.. so you'd need to override it I'd think?)

I'm just thinking that the Kharaa are going to want to assimilate Selkirk like the Borg Queen wanted to do to Data, but I don't know if that will work given the safeguards built into an Android mind.

I guess it'll be interesting to find out! Looking forward to it. (:
  • BootzBootz Netherlands Join Date: 2017-01-24 Member: 227200Members
    Truly an amazing story so far dude! Both Borealis Rising and Aurora Falls are incredible stories. I remembered the title of your story during class today, it was very painful to wait until the end of class. I finally got home and immidiatily started my reading marathon.

Keep up the good work, Bugzapper!!
    Also is it okay if I putt all the posts in a document??