Would you still purchase the preview

smash1987smash1987 Join Date: 2016-12-28 Member: 225589Members
So there is a lot of mixed emotions on this forum. Im really looking for the early adopters. Knowing how things have progressed and how long that progress has taken. Are you still happy with your preview purchase? I just found this game yesterday and feel like its worth 20 bones however I'm afraid I might be setting that money on fire from some of the posts ive seen on this forum. Let me know what you think because I'm very intrigued by this game. Second question, Do you think the xbox project will finish our do you see the dev abandoning it for PC only Avenue?

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    It works perfectly fine in Creative mode if you don't farm. That's the issue. (My son has like 30x of each sub spammed all over and a decent-sized base going on, and doesn't crash).
  • CristofCristof Join Date: 2016-11-10 Member: 223778Members
    I've purchased both the PC and Xbox versions, and regret neither of them. I'm not as early as some others here, I've been playing for a little less than a year, but I've seen a lot of progress and active involvement from the developers that are continuing to make this game great. The only complaint is how long its taking to catch the Xbox version up to the current steam patches, but that's not their fault, it takes weeks to go through microsoft to get each patch released.

Don't let the negative posts about bugs dissuade you. The game is an amazing experience and I can't wait for it to be completed, where I'm sure it'll lock in on the list of favorite games of all time.
  • Angelic_RazgrizAngelic_Razgriz USA Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217379Members
    I've been watching this game since last year and when it came to xbox preview I bought it immediately. The build I first played vs the build its on now (which is 2 to 3 updates behind of the pc build) has real solid content progress. However the playability is super low because of the fps issues.
    I consider my purchase as an investment into a game I hope to see come full circle. And I think I speak for everyone on the forums on that.

Honestly to me it's 100% worth it, there is no other game like it on the market right now and it deserves success. But if you can't stand waiting on an investment that may not pay off in don't recommend it, because I know the devs are struggling a lot with the xbox version. Right now moral on the forums are low and it doesn't look like the game will work on xbox. But I am putting faith in the devs they can do this.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I don't have the XB1 version, but I have been around since the first months of 2016. So I can talk some on the game's progress.

I will start with the negative, which is that ever since September, the game's performance has been getting hiccups that have reached a low during the Bones update. I like to think we've gone through the worst, but who knows what the future holds? For a new player, it is important to have the perspective that SN is currently in a deep transitional period. Huge steps forward are taken, but it is messy in the meantime and some steps trip and cause a tumble down the stairs. For the XB1, this mostly translates into update delays (for what it's worth, latest news on Discord is that they've fixed the bug that had them miss the Xmas deadline with hopes for an early January deadline). V1.0 won't be until May, so if you feel hesitant, you could choose to sit it out a few months more.

I don't believe UWE will abandon XB1. In case you haven't visited Trello (and don't mind spoilers!), give it a go. The roadmap, development, and polish are all good reads, with several cards (or card comments) mentioning XB1.

Speaking as a PC owner, I am still very happy with my purchase (as I suppose most are who dwell here). Bugs aside, every update is a delight of new content and small improvements that would go so easily unnoticed if you only know the final product. I have a weakness for gasopods just for that, because I've been around to see them get their "diseased horse laughter" sound and bucking animation when startled and it makes them so much more lively (note: recently added; XB1 might/does not have these updates yet). I'm currently looking forward to see the hoverfish get animation and floaters improved on. I can't really comment on new content without risking spoilers, but they've been and are set to be good.
  • mk21dvrmk21dvr Join Date: 2016-12-28 Member: 225607Members
    I wish I had read these forums before I bought the game and asked the same question you did. I bought it on Christmas Day and enjoyed the heck out of playing it for about 2 hours. After that I had to quit playing for the day and I powered it down. The next day I booted it back up and it has been in an unplayable state due to extremely low framerate since then. I've tried some of the suggestions in these forums like hard rebooting my xbox (several times), but nothing works. I suggest you hold onto your 20 bucks until they get this issue fixed.
  • ReaperTech1994ReaperTech1994 uk Join Date: 2016-12-28 Member: 225618Members
    I am sadly disappointed after getting the free trial it kept crashing so I deleted and redownloaded it. Now I have had to buy the game preview to actually play the game and I've been sitting here for 20-30 mins waiting on it to actually load and play. @mk21dvr I agree with you there as its not worth the purchase at the present moment.
  • GRAW2ROBZGRAW2ROBZ Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225373Members
    I bought this early on. Only difference is last update it created a bad lag and still the frequent crashes. I still save frequently if it lags it up or not. Not losing any data. Bad enough the one time I didn't save after a hour looking for silver I lost 3 pieces then game crashed. Hopefully the lag vanishes with the new update in January.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Play Creative mode until they fix it. What causes the lag is resource gathering and terrain deformation.
  • mk21dvrmk21dvr Join Date: 2016-12-28 Member: 225607Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Play Creative mode until they fix it. What causes the lag is resource gathering and terrain deformation.

Thanks for the tip! Sadly, resource gathering is a major part of the enjoyment of this game for me. I'll just have to wait for the patch.
  • EHoK360EHoK360 Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225654Members
    Frame rate is crazy. Gives me a headache sometimes, but just go play something else oce it gets to bad. I love playing with my son in this game as it stetches the limits on what he needs to accomplish. I hope they fix it soon so everyone can enjoy a smooth gameplay. Early stages, hope my 20 helps.
  • DeepSea7DeepSea7 Join Date: 2017-01-01 Member: 225840Members
    edited January 2017
    mk21dvr wrote: »
    I wish I had read these forums before I bought the game and asked the same question you did. I bought it on Christmas Day and enjoyed the heck out of playing it for about 2 hours. After that I had to quit playing for the day and I powered it down. The next day I booted it back up and it has been in an unplayable state due to extremely low framerate since then. I've tried some of the suggestions in these forums like hard rebooting my xbox (several times), but nothing works. I suggest you hold onto your 20 bucks until they get this issue fixed.

I came here to see if anyone else was having this problem. I can play for hours on a new game with no problem, but as soon as I load a save I get 1-2 fps. Sucks.