Subnautica Burnout

JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
Do you ever get this? I've been playing this game for two months straight and finally I'm feeling a little out of charge. I'm gonna move away from Subnautica a little bit, at most until February, maybe. I'm gonna switch to World of Warcraft for a little bit, but I'll be back soon Subnautica!

For me Subnautica burnout is really, REALLY bad. And really really sudden. It just hits you that in the past month you've "completed" five or six survivals and you're spawned so many monsters in creative mode you're computer wanted to smother you. This is why it's so sudden, but why it's so bad is probably because you've still got that urge to play it but you don't because you know you just won't get that satisfaction or real fun out of it during the burnout.

In a nutshell Subnautica burnout is like a back-and-forth fight between my subconscious whilst ALSO harming me on a mental leve because I'm not playing Subnautica.

Does anyone else get this way? Not just about Subnautica, any games. Just for me personally Subnautica burnout is incredibly depressing.

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Not once.

In the two years I've played, I've only ever stopped for maybe a week at a time. There was the time where I was so frustrated with the No World Glitch that I stopped playing for three weeks, but not because of burnout. Even though I've explored almost everything, the game still continues to fill me with wonder. Be it from the Lost River to the Safe Shallows, everything is just amazing to me. Maybe its because I live in the desert and have never been in the ocean before, but the ocean, while a terrifying place of nightmares, is also such a beautiful and wondrous place. And Subnautica continues to give me that feeling, so no. No burnout for me.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited December 2016
    WoW is still a thing? I once thought about trying it again... but for me, personally, magic was killed back in Burning Crusade, arenas and kids getting free everything(that sometimes was better then top raiding gear.............) just for dying 3 times a week was like digging a hole and putting a coffin in, then came the heroics, super-heroics, nightmare mode, balls in a sack mode, 10 man, 15 man, 20 man, 3 and a half man... we stuck till WoTLK and then they killed Arthas... and we saw Naxx in the shape they put it in...it was heartbreaking and coffin was nailed so much it looked like it was made out of nails. Me and our main tank basically 3 manned it. Something that was a matter of pride once. It was like a crack and then it just went on a downhill spiral with one bad decision followed by another and another and it didn't help that I played warlock since day one. Going from nobody would ever group with you because it was a broken unfinished class to having fear button win it all that lasted for maybe half a year while there were barely any warlocks, to every single damn patch for about 4 years having another warlock nerf. I had the same character since day one till I quit and my fun times druid while you could do BGs without leveling.

Heard they also killed entire talent tree now. Instead of talents making things better now you unlock skills... so you went from a ton of utility and options to enhance your favorites to nothing. Guess it works for some things like old pallies pressing 1 button ad infinity and some other cases but in general it looked so ungodly lame. Now that I recall it all, few years after I quit Blizz banned me for something related to money... I was like... hello... I haven't touched it in ages and since I got D3 I even have bloody authenticator on it, they said they restored it all but Blizz of that time, I kind of doubt they did, probably would be naked. Then again my full t6? what ever was it at BC wasn't even "good enough" to enter dungeons in WoTLK which was hilarious.

But on topic, I play some sandboxy games and I do get burned out often enough and leave them be for a while. When a game is good you get that itch to go back sooner or later, for some games... you are just happy to be done with them and for some you you don't even want a refund, you just want to pretend it never happened.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Not once.

In the two years I've played, I've only ever stopped for maybe a week at a time. There was the time where I was so frustrated with the No World Glitch that I stopped playing for three weeks, but not because of burnout. Even though I've explored almost everything, the game still continues to fill me with wonder. Be it from the Lost River to the Safe Shallows, everything is just amazing to me. Maybe its because I live in the desert and have never been in the ocean before, but the ocean, while a terrifying place of nightmares, is also such a beautiful and wondrous place. And Subnautica continues to give me that feeling, so no. No burnout for me.

I only dropped off Subnautica twice, once because I wanted to surprise myself with new stuff, and the other time because the game was too unstable to play for extended periods of time, even with the cache-cleaning trick.

Restarting the game's always been fun for me, since I love that early game feel and the starting from scratch, and building up to exploring in deep sea biomes. I always pace myself rather than beelining towards the Island (even though I can) and such. Keeps the game more entertaining for me personally ^^
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    I almost dropped Subnautica. Was playing on Experimental, and the bugs finally started getting under my skin. Now switched to stable, but let's see.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    It's over, Dude.

So much of the greatest aspects of Subnautica are one-time things. That moment when you first jump out the lifepod into the beautiful shallows. The first thrill of fear when you hear a Reefback's groaning lament. The moment you see a Reaper over a dune and adrenaline surges through you.

You will never be able to experience those moments, ever, ever again.

My advice is don't play it until after full release, when you can experience it as a complete package.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    HiSaZuL wrote: »
    WoW is still a thing? I once thought about trying it again... but for me, personally, magic was killed back in Burning Crusade, arenas and kids getting free everything(that sometimes was better then top raiding gear.............) just for dying 3 times a week was like digging a hole and putting a coffin in, then came the heroics, super-heroics, nightmare mode, balls in a sack mode, 10 man, 15 man, 20 man, 3 and a half man... we stuck till WoTLK and then they killed Arthas... and we saw Naxx in the shape they put it in...it was heartbreaking and coffin was nailed so much it looked like it was made out of nails. Me and our main tank basically 3 manned it. Something that was a matter of pride once. It was like a crack and then it just went on a downhill spiral with one bad decision followed by another and another and it didn't help that I played warlock since day one. Going from nobody would ever group with you because it was a broken unfinished class to having fear button win it all that lasted for maybe half a year while there were barely any warlocks, to every single damn patch for about 4 years having another warlock nerf. I had the same character since day one till I quit and my fun times druid while you could do BGs without leveling.

Heard they also killed entire talent tree now. Instead of talents making things better now you unlock skills... so you went from a ton of utility and options to enhance your favorites to nothing. Guess it works for some things like old pallies pressing 1 button ad infinity and some other cases but in general it looked so ungodly lame. Now that I recall it all, few years after I quit Blizz banned me for something related to money... I was like... hello... I haven't touched it in ages and since I got D3 I even have bloody authenticator on it, they said they restored it all but Blizz of that time, I kind of doubt they did, probably would be naked. Then again my full t6? what ever was it at BC wasn't even "good enough" to enter dungeons in WoTLK which was hilarious.

But on topic, I play some sandboxy games and I do get burned out often enough and leave them be for a while. When a game is good you get that itch to go back sooner or later, for some games... you are just happy to be done with them and for some you you don't even want a refund, you just want to pretend it never happened.

I see you can actually ride a motorbike now. A freaking motorbike. WTF happened?
    And there's some kind of stupid fair ground. Holy crap.

I played WoW many, many years ago. I mean old school WoW, before BC.
    If they just made a couple of old school servers, traditional, original, so many old timers like me would play it for old time's sake. But how could I play WoW as it is now, and keep any self respect?

Goldshire I miss you.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    Do you ever get this? I've been playing this game for two months straight and finally I'm feeling a little out of charge. I'm gonna move away from Subnautica a little bit, at most until February, maybe. I'm gonna switch to World of Warcraft for a little bit, but I'll be back soon Subnautica!

For me Subnautica burnout is really, REALLY bad. And really really sudden. It just hits you that in the past month you've "completed" five or six survivals and you're spawned so many monsters in creative mode you're computer wanted to smother you. This is why it's so sudden, but why it's so bad is probably because you've still got that urge to play it but you don't because you know you just won't get that satisfaction or real fun out of it during the burnout.

In a nutshell Subnautica burnout is like a back-and-forth fight between my subconscious whilst ALSO harming me on a mental leve because I'm not playing Subnautica.

Does anyone else get this way? Not just about Subnautica, any games. Just for me personally Subnautica burnout is incredibly depressing.

This is exactly what happens to me when I play videogames. It's happened with just about whatever I've played, although like @HiSaZuL said if a game is good enough I eventually get that itch to come back and play it. I think I've dropped off Subnautica like 2 times now, I just might be getting back into it.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Not WoW, anything but that. Don't do it, you can still save yourself!

Snark aside, yeah I've burned out a couple of times, but coming back to it after a few updates makes the game fresh as ever. I usually play, sometimes obsessively so, until I hit burnout so it's a natural part of the gaming process for me.

Subnautica is one of those games I keep getting back to and it's why it's already in my top 5 most played games of all time on steam. It's hard to put it down... well until it gets cold out and I can hear the song of Sovngarde beckon me draw near.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    It's over, Dude.

So much of the greatest aspects of Subnautica are one-time things. That moment when you first jump out the lifepod into the beautiful shallows. The first thrill of fear when you hear a Reefback's groaning lament. The moment you see a Reaper over a dune and adrenaline surges through you.

You will never be able to experience those moments, ever, ever again.

My advice is don't play it until after full release, when you can experience it as a complete package.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people find games, and the game just resonates with them, they can play it for years without getting bored.

This is not me. I like finding materials and making stuff, but not ad-nauseum. I'm good for about one more proper playthrough, probably. That'll be after release. I'm game to help look for a bug or test a specific thing, but slamming through the game over and over while they add stuff isn't gonna happen. For me, anyway. Some people can probably do it, and not get bored, more power to them.
  • saltyspeculasaltyspecula Join Date: 2016-12-20 Member: 225227Members
    I know what you mean OP, I burn out of games if I play them too long. With Subnautica I'm going to be playing it slowly. Now that I've done everything that's current as of the time of this post, I'll be easing off for a bit to wait for the next patch.

I also still play WoW currently and I'm getting burnt out on their new expansion, Legion. Also, the developers of WoW have been making a lot of... Interesting ( read as: highly questionable ) design choices as of late. It doesn't help that Chris Metzen also retired a few months ago and most of WoW's core A-team of developers have been moved to other projects like Overwatch and Hearthstone. Subscriptions are slowly dropping and they are no longer publicizing those numbers. We'll just say the main city streets look a bit emptier than they used to.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    My problem is that I tend to start a new save, take ages setting up a base (Location has to be spot on with a nice view and all), get everything upgraded and all the creatures scanned, then I start making a secondary base in another biome, the objective being to get a fully equipped base in each one. Each base must have a storage room with a full locker of every resource. And by the time I've finished messing around getting the second base up, a new update is released...so I end up starting a new save.

Right now I'm waiting for the next update so I can get right into it.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    You know that feeling when you've found THE game that seems perfectly made just for you?

This game is just that for me. It has its flaws obviously like performance, since its still in Early Access, but i very rarely seem to tire of it. Whenever i havent played for like 2 days i always suddenly feel the urge of going right back to it. Ive played a few Early Access games before but never have i sank as many hours into one as this game. I'll surely reach 1000 hours before it hits v1.0 and i'll surely reach as many after 1.0.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Okay, I get that some people don't get this with Subnautica, and I've loved reading your opinions...
    WoW's on the rise, guys :( it-it's got world quests now. P-please, just... just try it again guys? L-legion's gonna be a classic, mark my-... mark my words... D-don't make me question my life choices... *sniff sniff*
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    WoW's on the rise, guys :( it-it's got world quests now. P-please, just... just try it again guys? L-legion's gonna be a classic, mark my-... mark my words... D-don't make me question my life choices... *sniff sniff*

Nevah! You won't take me alive!
    Okay, I get that some people don't get this with Subnautica, and I've loved reading your opinions...

I'm too much of a prideful sour old guy. Pandas? Catering to half wits? I would not be able to look at myself in a mirror. Reminds me of this new DeusEx: MD. Micro transactions in a single player? How low can you actually go? Main missions combined were about like 5 hours and they went literally nowhere baiting for sequel... and it's a prequel so you are always aware that no matter what, all that you do has absolutely 0 impact on DeusEx world. Ewww, I get shivers just thinking about it. Square Enix is a greedy sack of something, DLC is again not part of campaign, again you have barely any base energy and again they will offer "director's cut" where they fix all that for the full price. Touching that is like doing cannon ball into a pool of radioactive waste.

Speaking of world quests, sounds like GW2... ala 200 ppl getting 2 fps shooting big turtle. Then they all get crap. Then they repeat it tomorrow. I'm with @EnglishInfidel if they offered vanilla WoW servers, even at double the subscription price I would go. It was literally like crack to me back in the day. So much to explore, gear that let you solo entire raid of kids... but I know I won't get old playerbase, none of that old school world PvP where on our servers both sides would go to extremes to punish snot nosed brats, best memories of griefer getting put in place resulted in Blizzard trying to suspend people to prevent retribution, 2 days later estimate was at about 200 suspensions for a week, back fired real hard, they forcefully transferred that kid a day later. Tarren Mills I miss you so much, I don't really miss how often our server had server burnouts when 4+ full raids hit a city... it was like every damn weekend.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    For the vanilla WoW servers... remember what happened to Nostalrius?
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Ok I originally diddnt get the title and I thought it was a subnautica mod for burnout paradise or something. Then I realise how dumb that would be and told my brain "da fuc dude".

Any way back on topic. I do find that playing subnautica for a long time does lead to a burn out phase, and I also find this with more survival type games. The games that seem to have the longest play times seem to be turn based stratergys as they show progression in the form of a grand scale. IF subnautica did something like this such as completing pointless task for a reward such as a rare fish or shell that could decrease the burnout effect.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    HiSaZuL wrote: »

I'm too much of a prideful sour old guy. Pandas? Catering to half wits? I would not be able to look at myself in a mirror. Reminds me of this new DeusEx: MD. Micro transactions in a single player? How low can you actually go? Main missions combined were about like 5 hours and they went literally nowhere baiting for sequel... and it's a prequel so you are always aware that no matter what, all that you do has absolutely 0 impact on DeusEx world. Ewww, I get shivers just thinking about it. Square Enix is a greedy sack of something, DLC is again not part of campaign, again you have barely any base energy and again they will offer "director's cut" where they fix all that for the full price. Touching that is like doing cannon ball into a pool of radioactive waste.

Speaking of world quests, sounds like GW2... ala 200 ppl getting 2 fps shooting big turtle. Then they all get crap. Then they repeat it tomorrow. I'm with @EnglishInfidel if they offered vanilla WoW servers, even at double the subscription price I would go. It was literally like crack to me back in the day. So much to explore, gear that let you solo entire raid of kids... but I know I won't get old playerbase, none of that old school world PvP where on our servers both sides would go to extremes to punish snot nosed brats, best memories of griefer getting put in place resulted in Blizzard trying to suspend people to prevent retribution, 2 days later estimate was at about 200 suspensions for a week, back fired real hard, they forcefully transferred that kid a day later. Tarren Mills I miss you so much, I don't really miss how often our server had server burnouts when 4+ full raids hit a city... it was like every damn weekend.

I stopped during Mists (all of it) and I stopped for the second halves of both Cata and WoD. I'm back for Legion and it's very cool imo. They don't cater to idiots a lot anymore; the questing in the Broken Isles itself takes a week to get you to 110, which is the same amount of time it takes you to get from 1 to 100 now, and I'm not sure a seven year old would be able to work out the riddles and puzzles that come with these quests.

The World Quests are beneficial for everyone since there's spec-specific loot for everyone, and each person gets something different. I rerolled Demon Hunter straight away and on my Demon Hunter I get different loot than on my Warrior, but it's still all worth it. And if you do 4 World Quests for a certain faction they give you even better rewards if you visit their leader. You can also find chests in the world which I like. They added that in WoD, but I guess they added the "Selfie Camera" then as well so it can piss off. But now it's good because they don't respawn for you, so people can't camp them.

I like Legion but I can see why other people wouldn't. WoW burnout isn't as bad, let's just say.
    Heh, WoW was ENORMOUS even in it's vanilla days, long before raids. That is why it can be hard to run out of things to do, since nobody wanted to play with a warlock I ended up finishing almost all vanilla quests, then warlocks got finished and I was already doing pvp with engineering so once I had something other then grenades and shrinkray to use pvp was great then I sort of got roped into raids when my pvp buddies decided to drag my ass to MC with promises of bodily harm if I refuse. I think we were 2/3 through Naxx when we got a second warlock. My grievances were specific to my own preferences. Like lame grinds in form of dailies... god I hate that idea with passion, arenas and class uniqueness being dissolved. I may scoff at WoW but I'm man enough to admit nobody ever got anywhere even remotely close to it even in it's current form, forget the glory days... maybe EQ in some aspects. SWToR had potential and it was amazing experience(single player part of it), sadly by the time it was released Bioware sold it's soul to the devil and you could literally see at which point in development it happened, forget how EA handled online aspect of it... they almost killed it in just under 6 months, you gotta give them credit for that amazing talent.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited January 2017
    I don't have entertainment burn-outs because I've learned how to manage my ability to stay interested after the necessary trial and error. If I reach that point where "I want to play/keep playing" gets nibbled on by "meah", then it's the "meah" I listen to.

I've played every update since I bought it nine months ago except when the Cyclops despawn glitch was active, but I've always consciously held back on things I knew weren't ready yet and wouldn't give me the best experience. Like, I didn't (technically) visit the LR until the Bones update and while I've made a quick trip to the LZs when the PRAWN was released to get sulphur for the jump jet upgrade, I've only ventured in again with Bones and only slightly. I don't intend to play the next update, but would I do so (I do want to check out the new signal system and be up to date on the silver saga), I still likely will avoid the lower levels until February. I've also stopped scanning until we get a major update on that. So, yeah, that's how I don't get a burn-out.