Banned, 8bit server

VlaadVlaad Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161403Members
Please move the thread in its not for general. This is more of a note for server owner.

Have been banned from 8-bit server. No drama or whatsoever, a troll was using my name and.. well trolling people. A known UK accented guy, hes been around for a long time under various names.

Anyway, have been slapped with ban in his place. Or so I hope.

Comments

• jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    edited December 2016
    Well u deserved it. And why spam these fora about it? Server admins choice...

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    jrgn wrote: »

Did you even read what he said?

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    i have a guess of who this person is.
    edited December 2016
    Kasharic wrote: »

Kasharic wrote: »

Waht? :)
    Ban goes for steamid not username?
    Anyway should complain at said server op, not here.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    2cough wrote: »

Difficult to ban him if he uses smurf accounts.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    wouldnt ban him. highly entertaining.

anyways i think if banner looked up payers in console, displays in game name and steam id. could be, since names identical, just banned first one he saw.
    but still, why posting here?
    makes no sense at all
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    but still, why posting here?
    makes no sense at all

Probably doesn't know who the admin is... heck I don't even know. There's all these mysterious servers that just sorta appear in the browser.
  • VlaadVlaad Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161403Members
    It seems resolved.

Thanks for support people, happy holidays and happy upcoming year!

Cheers!
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow

hmm............ a troll player from the UK? hmm....... i know his smurf account: easymode. i give you a hint what his real account is: B___A
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Well you can ban by name you know... :p
    Should use a ID, but you can. :D

Yeh.. I perhaps should do a ask around and update the topic in the server section since, obviously, end users arent in the server ops discord.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2017
    Also need to lower the ping kicker a little big 325? i just hit that milestone, around 320ms in server tab :( still kicks me and Sylvi.

Try 280? maybe

Thanks fazza :)
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold

When Rammler and I played on the same server with him, he kept spamming racist insults the whole time. Maybe he just had a bad day that day, but maybe he's really just an idiot.
    Well, not sayin I endorse what he does or says. Just that for me, its kinda like sitting in a park and watching a kid run through all the flocks of birds to chase/piss em off. Not really a point to be taken from it, other than it's sometimes funny to watch the birds freak out.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2017
    Bicsum wrote: »

When Rammler and I played on the same server with him, he kept spamming racist insults the whole time. Maybe he just had a bad day that day, but maybe he's really just an idiot.

Players like this make NS2 look bad. They make any game look bad, but that is not the point. NS2 is smaller and struggling.
    That is your very personal opinion. I think 99% think this kind of behaviour that B-a shows is bad for any server. I played with him a few days after xmas and he got literally muted by every player on the team, then turretfarming and arcing his way through the game. But since noone likes him and couldn't communicate either way. Of course we lost. But i guess that is his tactics to get as much hive skill points as a comm... ;). Wonder how many ppl have left servers and quit playing because of him and stupid ppl defending his behaviour as "being entertaining"...
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Well, not sayin I endorse what he does or says. Just that for me, its kinda like sitting in a park and watching a kid run through all the flocks of birds to chase/piss em off. Not really a point to be taken from it, other than it's sometimes funny to watch the birds freak out.

Congrats. You get to live that for the next four to eight years! Hope you are entertained.
    edited January 2017
    Still salty I guess. But you're welcome anyways.

When I was growing up, I was taught "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." This is as true now as it has ever been, however the modern interpretation seems to be "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words ESPECIALLY HURT ME."

I do not subscribe to this. Nobody should. I was offended and irritated by him quite a lot for years. But I have come to understand him. We've all got vices. I'm still NOT saying that I endorse, agree with, or care to participate in what he does. But what I am saying is that ppl are entirely TOO sensitive in general. You will encounter persons like this throughout your life. If you cannot tolerate and accept somebody like this, you cant ban them from life. you cant ban them from your job (unless you're da boss.) You have to learn to live w/ these people and NOT be so perturbed by them to come making silly and poorly thought-out political analogies at their expense. In this way, you let hate and stupidity beget more hate and stupidity. If you cant take the high road, who really is the worse person?

"We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it."
    -Baberham Lincoln

So yes, you can sit in the park and see the kid chasing the birds and let yourself be SUPER PISSED off about it. You can waste your energy and your effort trying to change the kid, in futility. You burn yourself out. I was like that with him for a while, I thought he was pure toxic waste. Or your other option is to take from it what you can, not let the kid get to you individually, and enjoy what you can of the arbitrary scattering of the birds.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited January 2017
    When I was growing up, I was taught "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." This is as true now as it has ever been, however the modern interpretation seems to be "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words ESPECIALLY HURT ME."

Two things about this:
    1. Have you ever been bullied as a child? My guess is no.
    2. There's a difference between being a little sissy that's hurt by Bad Words and not taking the bullshit of someone whose assholish behavior ruins both specific matches and the community at large in a game that already has such a small playerbase that it becomes hard to avoid them.

Take a look at the Law of Jackassery on tvtropes. NS2 has reached the where it sits firmly at the very right of the spectrum, and at this point we shouldn't put up with dicks like that simply because we don't have to.
    We are talking about a video game here. You can ban people like that. Don't get pissed about it. Just ban him and move on.

Quick note about the "You will always meet people like that in real life"... My father usually says the same, but he adds that you always have three options: Take it, change it, or leave it. He personally favors the leave it option: If an environment is toxic or just plain sucks, don't waste your energy on it. Just go somewhere else. Clearly, you favor the take it option: Just endure.
    But we are talking about video games here. We have modding and banning tools. We have the option to change the situation.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I 100% agree with @F0rdPrefect, but I don't think banning him is the appropriate solution. I don't think any toxic players should be banned. Admins should use Brute's excellent PermaMute mod. This lets them play on your server, but keeps their toxic behavior to themselves.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited January 2017
    Come on guys, there's a rotten egg in every basket. (which is why NS2 should never be f2p, because that increases the influx of them :D)

Regarding his voice spam: You can always mute a player. If someone engages him and perpetuates the drama, mute them too.
    It's a choice everyone can make: either participate or blissfully ignore and keep playing.

Regarding his tactics: Turret farming is a valid strat on pub, you can't blame him for deviating from the norm. If you find the strat boring, then vote eject. It's that simple.

Every player have the tools in-game to cope with basterds like him. If all you do is whine about it and act butthurt, while ignoring those tools you have, you're also the problem, because he gets his audience and thus his fun x)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nordic wrote: »
    I 100% agree with @F0rdPrefect, but I don't think banning him is the appropriate solution. I don't think any toxic players should be banned. Admins should use Brute's excellent PermaMute mod. This lets them play on your server, but keeps their toxic behavior to themselves.

Well, I have no idea what he did, but it sounded like he was also trolling as a comm. That's where that came from.

Frankly I only wanted to make a witty comment but it somehow turned into a rant
    edited January 2017
    1) I'm pretty sure nobody was actually "butthurt" by what he said. It's just annoying to get spammed by the same macro sentence again and again.
    2) It is not a valid choice to mute him. Why should one team be disadvantaged by having a player it can't communicate with? Banning him is the only option, which is a choice HE made. He obviously WANTS to get banned.

When I step in shit, I don't say "Oh, well, I'll just endure this shit on my shoe and try my best to ignore it untill it leaves by itself." - no, I take a stick and scratch the shit off my shoe and move on.

Two things about this:
    2. There's a difference between being a little sissy that's hurt by Bad Words and not taking the bullshit of someone whose assholish behavior ruins both specific matches and the community at large in a game that already has such a small playerbase that it becomes hard to avoid them.

Yes, I was bullied in elementary school, lots in middle school, and lots in highschool. So all of my formative years. It put hair on my chest and I wasnt a pussy about it. In my adult life I've encountered old bullies in public who didnt quite "make it" in their own adult years, and to see them shitting their pants and avoiding ME for once is a gratifying feeling. Thankfully I had good friends and parents to keep a good perspective on things. I feel that's why I'm so attached to "bullying" sentiments because frankly, i dealt with it a lot and I made it thru just fine. I can be so much more toxic to myself than any other person could hope to be to me.

My honest opinion is that the anti-bullying campaigns, especially one w/in like the past 10 years actually make bullying victims feel a lot worse. Kids are going to be little shits no matter how much you try to encourage the opposite. Bullying WILL always exist, as it ALWAYS HAS. I am not saying it's a good thing. I was never a bully and I'm the youngest of my siblings so I couldn't bully anyone at home and was really never interested. But the fact that it won't go away coupled w/ these over-in-you-face campaigns just make the victims of bullies feel SO MUCH WORSE than they might. If I'm a kid in middle school with a bully and there was just this huge anti-bullying thing at my school that everyone had to participate in, and I'm still getting bullied during and after the event, that would make me feel a LOT more attacked, isolated, singled out since it's such a huge "NO NO" at my school now, acknowledged by everyone. But the fact that there was some stupid campaign doesnt change the fact that there will always be assholes. The better option in my opinion is to teach kids to be thick skinned about it, take the power of "hurt" away from the bully, and focus on their own lives. Obviously when being outnumbered and there's potential for physical violence, there's less to be done about that but hope that there's enough good eggs around to stand up for them when they need it, and hope people start raising their damn kids.

Anyways, point of all this is that bullies/trolls are reactive beings like anybody else. If you're not baited by their shit, understand that they're a sick person to be pitied and not envied, you'll have a much better time. There's not enough servers or control for trolls to be put on their own "planet" of servers so the rest of us dont have to deal w/ them, but they will always exist. Smurf accounts are EASY. Ban them, they'll be back. Deal w/ them, play w/ them, get on. And tbh, the person I think the OP is referring to is right 90% of the time, but the way he goes about how he communicates it is 100% wrong. If you could read through the troll and play along, you will have successful games w/ him of all people too. After all S10 CHAMP AMIRITE?

The internet is pure trash in the first place. Everything on internet should be taken w/ healthy spoonfuls of salt.

/rant
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited January 2017
    yeah we're quite offtopic here... but it is a zeitgeist problem in the broader terms, so it's not surprising to see it overflow here :D
    Bicsum wrote: »
    1) I'm pretty sure nobody was actually "butthurt" by what he said. It's just annoying to get spammed by the same macro sentence again and again.
    2) It is not a valid choice to mute him. Why should one team be disadvantaged by having a player it can't communicate with? Banning him is the only option, which is a choice HE made. He obviously WANTS to get banned.

When I step in shit, I don't say "Oh, well, I'll just endure this shit on my shoe and try my best to ignore it untill it leaves by itself." - no, I take a stick and scratch the shit off my shoe and move on.

1) I've seen people leave the server because of him(?), so i'd consider it as acting butthurt
    2) You may have something there, but there are also a lot of players without any communication... so i don't think it's that big of a deal
    3) Sure, you do move on and not start stomping on the shit again to get revenge :]

These people are a nuisance, but who am I to police his expressions over a microphone? I just mute anyone who annoys me after a time.
    If he wants to get banned, then that's another reason not to get rid of him, don't do him any pleasure xD
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I wince every time I read accounts like this. No one need habitually tolerate (or "mute") overtly selfish and unsavory personas in their gameplay. Just as in society at large, there /are/ NS2 spaces created and maintained for the sole purpose of being filled exclusively with generally well-behaved, imperfect people creating and sharing collectively appreciated contributions.

Yeah, yeah, I run one of them, but there are others and it's not even about TGNS -- it's about everyone understanding that, with just a bit of effort, you can choose to participate in one of these spaces instead of "the Internet" when you play NS2. And, with admittedly more effort, you can help create or maintain one.

Just don't feel /forced/ to tolerate it. That's all I'm saying. Choose it if it suits you ("thick skin", and all that), but don't feel forced.
  • RysskRyssk Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175441Members
    edited January 2017
    Where's the pm sent - wyz?

Guys, you've got show Bubba more love, he deserves it.. i think he practicly made all russian servers empty by this time?
    edited January 2017
    .trixX. wrote: »
    3) Sure, you do move on and not start stomping on the shit again to get revenge :]

You know.. I just wanted to make sure nobody else steps into shit, just because it's funny to watch for some : ).

Ok, maybe a little revenge.

Two things about this:

Yes, I was bullied in elementary school, lots in middle school, and lots in highschool. So all of my formative years. It put hair on my chest and I wasnt a pussy about it. In my adult life I've encountered old bullies in public who didnt quite "make it" in their own adult years, and to see them shitting their pants and avoiding ME for once is a gratifying feeling. Thankfully I had good friends and parents to keep a good perspective on things. I feel that's why I'm so attached to "bullying" sentiments because frankly, i dealt with it a lot and I made it thru just fine. I can be so much more toxic to myself than any other person could hope to be to me.

My honest opinion is that the anti-bullying campaigns, especially one w/in like the past 10 years actually make bullying victims feel a lot worse. Kids are going to be little shits no matter how much you try to encourage the opposite. Bullying WILL always exist, as it ALWAYS HAS. I am not saying it's a good thing. I was never a bully and I'm the youngest of my siblings so I couldn't bully anyone at home and was really never interested. But the fact that it won't go away coupled w/ these over-in-you-face campaigns just make the victims of bullies feel SO MUCH WORSE than they might. If I'm a kid in middle school with a bully and there was just this huge anti-bullying thing at my school that everyone had to participate in, and I'm still getting bullied during and after the event, that would make me feel a LOT more attacked, isolated, singled out since it's such a huge "NO NO" at my school now, acknowledged by everyone. But the fact that there was some stupid campaign doesnt change the fact that there will always be assholes. The better option in my opinion is to teach kids to be thick skinned about it, take the power of "hurt" away from the bully, and focus on their own lives. Obviously when being outnumbered and there's potential for physical violence, there's less to be done about that but hope that there's enough good eggs around to stand up for them when they need it, and hope people start raising their damn kids.

So... you're saying that words do hurt?
    I wasn't trying to make a point about bullying, just about the "words are nothing" attitude.

And it's nice if you have a thick skin like that, good for you, but there's people who don't.

• WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Wyzcrak wrote: »
    I wince every time I read accounts like this. No one need habitually tolerate (or "mute") overtly selfish and unsavory personas in their gameplay. Just as in society at large, there /are/ NS2 spaces created and maintained for the sole purpose of being filled exclusively with generally well-behaved, imperfect people creating and sharing collectively appreciated contributions.

Yeah, yeah, I run one of them, but there are others and it's not even about TGNS -- it's about everyone understanding that, with just a bit of effort, you can choose to participate in one of these spaces instead of "the Internet" when you play NS2. And, with admittedly more effort, you can help create or maintain one.

Just don't feel /forced/ to tolerate it. That's all I'm saying. Choose it if it suits you ("thick skin", and all that), but don't feel forced.

I'm glad you didn't feel /forced/ to continue your obscene moderating policy which ironically lead to the highest levels of trolling on this forum.

This discussion has been closed.