Explorers vs. Survivalists

subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
So I was reading through a thread and found an interesting quote from @Ralij...
Ralij wrote: »
40 Minute days? Did that change in experimental? It's closer to 20 last I had checked.

This looks like another clash of the explorers vs survivalists thread to a degree. Personally, I've never really had to worry about oxygen outside of large wrecks and caves systems. With two tanks it's more than enough, even without the upgrade for them, to look around and appreciate the scenery. Why can't you look around while in the Seamoth if the air mechanic bothers you?

This got me thinking, and I realized that a lot of the discussions on here end up being a discussion between those two sides. Examples, off the top of my head, are the "A few suggestions" thread, the "make creatures more aggressive?" poll, and/or the various discussions about resource management and the removal of base pieces from starting blueprints.
Seeing as arguments are usually divided into these two sections, I decided to make this poll. Are you a gamer who is more focused on the exploration aspect of this game, the beautiful sights, etc? Or are you more focused on the survival-based challenges, gathering resources and crafting things?

-EDIT-
WARNING: This thread only addresses two aspects of the gameplay, and in no way is meant to represent two completely polarized points of view. I recognize that the exploration-survival preference is a spectrum, and that there are other aspects of gameplay.

Comments

• AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I like both! Exploration is best when you have to plan it if you want to survive...

Most expeditions walked a thin line between death and success (whether in the Arctic or the Amazon)
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    You miss the most important entry in your poll which is a savant mix of the 2

What makes a good survival game usually is the fact that exploration keeps you interested enough while you try your best to survive and adapt in this new and often strange world. If exploration is all you're after in this game then you'll get bored very fast cuz since this is all hand drawn (meaning no procedurally generated terrain) then once you've been everywhere then you've seen it all.

I like the survival aspect of games usually and love to see how long i'll last in an unknown world (intended pun there!) but if the exploration part is disapointing crap then i'll also loose interest pretty fast. So all in all for me, a good mix of both is essential, probably why i dont play creative mode since the survival part isnt there.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    You miss the most important entry in your poll which is a savant mix of the 2

What makes a good survival game usually is the fact that exploration keeps you interested enough while you try your best to survive and adapt in this new and often strange world. If exploration is all you're after in this game then you'll get bored very fast cuz since this is all hand drawn (meaning no procedurally generated terrain) then once you've been everywhere then you've seen it all.

I like the survival aspect of games usually and love to see how long i'll last in an unknown world (intended pun there!) but if the exploration part is disapointing crap then i'll also loose interest pretty fast. So all in all for me, a good mix of both is essential, probably why i dont play creative mode since the survival part isnt there.

I personally think that this is one of the things unknownworlds does best, mixing these elements of gameplay. Subnautica mixes survival and exploration better than other games out there (*cough* *maybe NMS* *cough*). However, I think that on the forums people tend to gravitate to one aspect or another. I don't mean that by choosing options on this poll, you're aligning 100% with either side. I just wanted to illustrate whether people prefer certain aspects of the game.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    You also forgot the story, even though it's not finished.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    You also forgot the story, even though it's not finished.

Yeah, it's a pretty two-valued poll, but I wanted to focus only on this aspect.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I like both, especially learning about the native life forms.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    It's a tough one. I like the exploration and very much love that this is a survival game with a world that makes exploration for the sake of exploration its own reward with the scans and the story bits and all that. But I think ultimately I view it as an aspect of survival. I take a great deal of pride in completing the alien database, but a sense of progress comes from every blueprint or ingredient I can take home with me to improve said home and make my life a little easier, a little more luxurious, or a little more my choice.

Mind that I do not view survival games as a genre that inherently is "hardcore" (something many devs think they are, hence why I have trouble finding survival games that fit my tastes). Like, Submerged isn't a survival game at all but creates that illusion through its story, which works for me. So, I'm not saying that SN has to be a tough act to appeal to me. But I do like some challenge to make the blueprints and ingredients worth the effort without ever reaching a point that any of it loses its usefulness.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Both. Survival by itself would be boring. As would exploration after you easily explored all there was to explore (because, what's to stop you?).
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    I Like Creative Mode. And Survival.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    Neither one of those two, without extras or each other neither is worth it. I do prefer exploring rather then tedium of what is currently the mega "survival" hype... but that is just me. I'm also a story/world snob. The amount of games I can call good that didn't have coherent and consistent lore/story behind them would fit on one hand. I can overlook a lot, if the story itself is worth it... but no matter how good exploration is or gameplay or what ever else, if the story is shit and it's buggy then I call it trash(dishonored 2 lol)/overhyped butts simulator(skyrim)/mindless gore fest(insert just about any shooter made in the past decade... ala CoD 2312317237, MW 381283712361). Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy some of those... I liked Prototype, well before they decided to kill the interesting protagonist and replace him with an angry "bro" from the hood god the verbal diarrhea of that combination makes me all sorts of salty but we must appease everyone!!! So lets insert black guy into norse mythology because REASONS.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I like beating up sharks with my mech suit
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I like beating up sharks with my mech suit

i remember the very first time i threw a vortex torpedo @ a Reaper Leviathan, hit him dead center of its body so the poor sod completely disappeared into the vortex and never came back :smiley:

That def. is in my top 3 of most satisfying moments of playing this game lol
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    it should say I mainly just get myself all the vehicles a small base place a beacon at my base then dock my Seamoth/P.R.A.W.N suit into my cyclops then just explore
  • kubazet99kubazet99 Czech Republic Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221450Members
    I like amazing good combination between survival,exploration and cool storyline!
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Both. As others have said, the survival elements balance out the exploration so that it is not thoughtless. I also like how much there is to discover and it seems that just as you've seen everything a new update comes out with new things to find.