Keeps launching to VR mode

ChosenOne2000ChosenOne2000 Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222218Members
I'm not given an option to choose between a monitor and a VR mode. The game launches directly to VR mode. I made an account on your forums JUST to report this bug. Several people have brought this to your attention on the steam and unknown world forums, but the developer's answer was absurd or didn't work. I'm not going to crawl under my desk to unplug my oculus every time I want to play your game...

Please fix. See below for the threads on steam and your forums.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/4/365172547953687168/

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/143175/subnautica-launching-in-vr-mode-everytime-cant-play-regular-version-with-my-monitor-steam

Comments

• ChosenOne2000ChosenOne2000 Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222218Members
  • VachVach Join Date: 2016-08-07 Member: 221054Members
    I recall people in other threads somehow simply "switching to their monitor." If I get responses, I will post back here on their solutions.

Apparently more solid VR support is coming in the next couple weeks.
  • FarsiderFarsider Join Date: 2016-12-30 Member: 225719Members
    I played for a while in normal mode and for Xmas i got an Oculus Rift. I played in VR mode, but felt nauseous after about an hour. I decided to just go back to normal mode, however, It always wants to play in VR mode no mater what i do. I have tried:

1) starting my comp without my VR stuff plugged in
    2) deleting and reinstalling (x4)
    3) moving my saved games out of the folder and reinstalling
    4) putting it in "-vrmode none" and '-vrmode none'
    5) launching it in experimental mode
    6) making sure to stop unknown apps from starting my VR through the Oculus app

After about 5-6 hours of trying everything i can think of and have read, it is still popping up in VR mode with the mouse cursor always going back to the middle and not being able to select anything. At this point i am just not going to play the game again until a new patch and maybe that will do something. It really makes me mad as i really enjoyed the game...If anyone can think of anything else i may do that i have not listed above i am willing to hear, but at this point i have all but given up on ever playing this game again.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Farsider wrote: »
    4) putting it in "-vrmode none" and '-vrmode none'

What do you mean by that?

If you mean you tried single and double quotes, please try without any quotes, switches usually don't use them.

• zhouijzhouij Join Date: 2017-04-01 Member: 229354Members
    Any update on this? I am still seeing this issue. I have also tried everything Farsider listed and nothing works.

And the worst part is I don't even own any VR equipment!
    Move your saved games out to, say the Desktop (just move all slot00xx folders out), uninstall, reinstall. Check if the problem persists. If it's fixed, move your saved game slot folders back where they belong.

Location: \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames\
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Move your saved games out to, say the Desktop (just move all slot00xx folders out), uninstall, reinstall. Check if the problem persists. If it's fixed, move your saved game slot folders back where they belong.

Location: \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames\

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried what you said, however it is still launching in VR mode.

What's interesting is that I have another computer upstairs, and I installed Subnautica through steam on that computer. And it was not launching in VR in my upstairs computer.

So I think something is cached in Steam's computer specific config. Yet I just can't find out where or how to wipe it.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    You can also use the command line in steam:
    -vrmode none

to force no VR mode.
    Obraxis wrote: »
    -vrmode none

to force no VR mode.

Yeah I tried this as well, and it didn't help.

When in this VR mode, background is black when I enter the game. And when starting a new game, the cut scenes are black as well. And when I press ESC for the menu, it doesn't go away if I press ESC again, and can't click anything on the menu.
    Ok this time I tried removing everything Steam related, uninstalled Steam, deleted the entire Steam folder... Still didn't work. Steam seems to see my computer as a new computer for the first time, asked me for a name for it when I installed Steam again. I also turned off cloud sync.

Then when I installed Subnautica and launched it again, it's still in VR mode.

I now think it's not related to Steam at all. Something in the game is launching VR based on bad hardware analysis or something.
  • Subdude10Subdude10 Join Date: 2017-01-29 Member: 227405Members
    I have had this issue too, It has nothing to so with steam, literally nothing has worked. I've been unable to play subnautica for a long time now. The updates didn't help either,
    Subdude10 wrote: »
    I have had this issue too, It has nothing to so with steam, literally nothing has worked. I've been unable to play subnautica for a long time now. The updates didn't help either,

Yeah I think you are right. Today I tried to download a "standalone" version of this game from some forum, hoping to see if the problem goes away if Steam is out of the question. And It still happens.

I think the game is detecting something in the hardware, and decided to launch it differently. I haven't being able to play the game for a few months now.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    There are some files Subnautica uses outside the Steam folder. It could also be a registry setting.
    Ok with 0x6A7232's help, I was able to test prior versions of the game. And I found the last working version of Subnautica which did not have the VR issue to be version B1029 (at least that's the version number in the folder name).

This makes sense, because according to the upload history this is the version release in last September. This is also when I had my last Steam achievement in this game, September 2016.

And according to http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Update_History, the update after this version, released in October 2016, "Subnautica now works on the HTC Vive".

I am now almost certain that the added logic for HTC Vive is what's breaking the game. Something in this change is detecting a certain monitor or hardware setup and mistook it as HTC Vive, even though it isn't.
    zhouij wrote: »
    Ok with 0x6A7232's help, I was able to test prior versions of the game. And I found the last working version of Subnautica which did not have the VR issue to be version B1029 (at least that's the version number in the folder name).

This makes sense, because according to the upload history this is the version release in last September. This is also when I had my last Steam achievement in this game, September 2016.

And according to http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Update_History, the update after this version, released in October 2016, "Subnautica now works on the HTC Vive".

I am now almost certain that the added logic for HTC Vive is what's breaking the game. Something in this change is detecting a certain monitor or hardware setup and mistook it as HTC Vive, even though it isn't.

The actual build number should be at the top-right of the game. 35073 I think (I opened B1029 and that's what I got).

@Obraxis Not sure if this is helpful or not. ▲
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2017
    We use Unity's built-in support for Vive. We have to wait on them for a lot of fixes. Keep your SteamVR up-to-date, and we'll be upgrading to Unity 5.6 Engine soon.
  • FarsiderFarsider Join Date: 2016-12-30 Member: 225719Members
    Obraxis, do you think the Unity 5.6 will help with Occulus as well? I have tried everything i have seen with no love. I would love to play this game again but have not been able to without it opening in VR...i may just have to take some motion sickness pills and go back in VR :(
    Didn't see unity engine update on the list here: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Update_History. So the timeline for this fix might be questionable?
    The problem seems to be fixed in the newest experimental build! I can actually play the game now.
    And it's broken again following the Voice of the Deep update.
  • jjmoore02jjmoore02 Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236335Members
    delete UnityEngine.VR.dll in C:\Games\Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\Managed and just to be safe(i'm not sure this is necessary) delete OVRPlugin.dll , openvr_api.dll , OVRGamepad.dll in C:\Games\Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\Plugins.
  • pbsturtepbsturte Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236876Members
    I've been having a problem which I suspect is rooted in this as well-- when I start the game, no audio, cutscenes are black, and when I try to play despite this, the PDA seems stuck to my hand (and there's a weird thing where I have to click to get focus on it). I have a save file that got *seriously* screwed up (which I've backed up). I uninstalled and reinstalled 3x, and put it on a different drive. I tried deleting unityengine.vr.dll and the OVR plugin dlls, but no dice. I suspect it thinks I'm in VR mode and can't get it unstuck. Any ideas?
  • pbsturtepbsturte Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236876Members
    SONOFABITCH I FIGURED IT OUT.

So I'd been having a very similar problem-- and I just triangulated the issue. I'd been having issues with audio crackle while playing, so I right clicked on the speaker icon in the system tray and clicked 'Troubleshoot sound problems'. Going through the wizard, it told me to turn off sound enhancements and effects, and then if you say yes, it brings up a menu with a single option: "Disable all sound effects". I tried that and it didn't seem to affect anything, so I kept playing on my merry way. WELL, I then eventually got stuck in the bug you're describing above exactly.

I honestly don't know what those sound effects are, but disabling them seems to make Subnautica think you're in VR mode, and screw everything up!

• ChrisvzChrisvz Join Date: 2019-01-25 Member: 249308Members
    I am having this issue with the game too. I tried playing in VR and got motion sickness and found the controls and UI to be horrible. I want to try it in normal mode, but cannot get the game to launch in anything other than VR mode. I refuse to go through the hassle of unplugging my Vive every time I want to play this game. I have been searching all night for another solution and there isn't one, apparently. Until the devs get around to actually doing something about this, it will remain uninstalled from my system.
  • YallmaYallma Join Date: 2019-10-14 Member: 255019Members
    edited October 2019
    Is there any update to this? I've tried everything from the launch options to deleting various files; nothing has worked. I <i>LOVE</i> this game and wanted to play through it again before playing Below Zero but I don't want to play it in VR -_-

<u>Edit:</u> Finally got it to open not in VR!!!
    I used "-vrmode none -force opengl" (without quotations)
    Everywhere that I checked that gave these to write it wrote -force-opengl but it turns out that the - in between force and opengl was causing it to crash and/or not open correctly.
    (I launch Subnautica through Steam.)
  • ayatesayates Join Date: 2019-12-12 Member: 256350Members
    -vrmode none

to force no VR mode.

So how do I do that when its Game Pass on PC and on Microsoft Store?
  • Strudel_MeisterStrudel_Meister Join Date: 2021-05-25 Member: 270614Members
    edited May 2021
    ayates wrote: »
    -vrmode none

to force no VR mode.

So how do I do that when its Game Pass on PC and on Microsoft Store?

I got it to work by going to Subnautica in my Windows Apps folder, creating a shortcut to subnatica.exe on the desktop, then right-clicking, opening properties, and in the bar labeled "target", you paste "-vrmode none -force opengl" (without quotations) AFTER the text that's already there, don't delete anything, like Yallma said. It's a pain in the ass to get into, but that's where GP games are. You'll need to google getting into the Windows Apps folder yourself, I set it up a while ago and forgot how.