Raising A Baby Reaper: Aquatic Guard Dogs + Making A Powerful Ally

04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
It'd be cool if we could find Reaper Eggs.

Only in the Dunes around where Reapers Spawn
And picking one up instantly aggros ALL Reaper Leviathans in a vast area, causing them to go berserk and attack and pursue you relentlessly while bellowing a new, even more frightening roar. And if you have one in your inventory when a new reaper spawns in, that new reaper will also become hostile.

Hatching a Baby Reaper would take 5 in-game days, and another 5 for it to reach "adolescence".
To make the Baby Reaper your ally, you would need to hand feed it, similarly to Stalkers, as it grows into its Juvenile form. It would also eat all other lifeforms in the Alien Containment while you're not looking.

If you do not hand feed it, it will simply swim off upon release.
If you hand feed it enough, it will stay near you, and attack anything that attacks you, as well as regularly hunting smaller fish to feed itself. It will even follow you if you enter a Seamoth, Cyclops, or Exosuit, since it will be quite capable of keeping pace with you.

After a certain number of kills, the Reaper will reach adolescence, where it will leave you, and swim off to find its own territory, swimming to the Dunes, and then out over the void until it despawns.

And finally, after saving, turning the game off, and coming back after at least 3 real days, there would be a small chance of a "friendly" Reaper spawning in place of a hostile one in any location. "Friendly" Reapers will still grab vehicles like Seamoths and Exosuits, but will not roar at you when it grabs you, nor will it try to smash your vehicle. This, of course, still does damage to the vehicle, since the big oaf doesn't understand the concept of restraint. However, attacking the "friendly" Reaper with any sort of weapon (Not including the Repulsion Cannon or Stasis Rifle) will then turn it into a normal hostile Reaper, which will proceed to wreck the entirety of your shit. Only 1 friendly Reaper can spawn at a time.

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited December 2016
    wait shit I thought this was suggestions
    screw me for having 14 tabs open

I guess I'll post the inspiration as well

If we can make friends with Tiger sharks, we can make friends with biblical alien sea monsters
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    What if it licks the front of the seamoth instead of roaring? Like some kind of giant dog happy to see its old owner? :smiley:
  • smellslikebleachsmellslikebleach Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225337Members
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    wait shit I thought this was suggestions
    screw me for having 14 tabs open
    What if it licks the front of the seamoth instead of roaring? Like some kind of giant dog happy to see its old owner? :smiley:

Yes. That would be awesome.

But I highly doubt the devs will ever let us make friends with the ocean.
  • yungmewyungmew United States, California Join Date: 2016-12-24 Member: 225432Members
    It'd be cool if we could find Reaper Eggs.

Only in the Dunes around where Reapers Spawn
    And picking one up instantly aggros ALL Reaper Leviathans in a vast area, causing them to go berserk and attack and pursue you relentlessly while bellowing a new, even more frightening roar. And if you have one in your inventory when a new reaper spawns in, that new reaper will also become hostile.

Hatching a Baby Reaper would take 5 in-game days, and another 5 for it to reach "adolescence".
    To make the Baby Reaper your ally, you would need to hand feed it, similarly to Stalkers, as it grows into its Juvenile form. It would also eat all other lifeforms in the Alien Containment while you're not looking.

If you do not hand feed it, it will simply swim off upon release.
    If you hand feed it enough, it will stay near you, and attack anything that attacks you, as well as regularly hunting smaller fish to feed itself. It will even follow you if you enter a Seamoth, Cyclops, or Exosuit, since it will be quite capable of keeping pace with you.

After a certain number of kills, the Reaper will reach adolescence, where it will leave you, and swim off to find its own territory, swimming to the Dunes, and then out over the void until it despawns.

And finally, after saving, turning the game off, and coming back after at least 3 real days, there would be a small chance of a "friendly" Reaper spawning in place of a hostile one in any location. "Friendly" Reapers will still grab vehicles like Seamoths and Exosuits, but will not roar at you when it grabs you, nor will it try to smash your vehicle. This, of course, still does damage to the vehicle, since the big oaf doesn't understand the concept of restraint. However, attacking the "friendly" Reaper with any sort of weapon (Not including the Repulsion Cannon or Stasis Rifle) will then turn it into a normal hostile Reaper, which will proceed to wreck the entirety of your shit. Only 1 friendly Reaper can spawn at a time.

I feel like the idea is that the Reaper Leviathan's nature is to be the top-of-the-line predator, and as such, it would be very unlikely that you could imprint upon a Reaper Leviathan to the point it would consider you an ally.

At best it'll not kill you because it remembers you give it food, but nothing more. Infact it might not even care if you raised it, it might kill you anyways.

Fish usually dont have the mental capacity to think further than basic needs, and the PDA log says it's mostly just muscle anyways.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    yungmew wrote: »
    I feel like the idea is that the Reaper Leviathan's nature is to be the top-of-the-line predator, and as such, it would be very unlikely that you could imprint upon a Reaper Leviathan to the point it would consider you an ally.

At best it'll not kill you because it remembers you give it food, but nothing more. Infact it might not even care if you raised it, it might kill you anyways.

Fish usually dont have the mental capacity to think further than basic needs, and the PDA log says it's mostly just muscle anyways.

Wolves are top of the line predators, but we still keep dogs. They're smart in the wild and when domesticated, since when hunting Wolves know to take on the smallest of the herd, and separate it first, and all that.

Then again, Reapers barely know what glass is.

I suppose the Cutefish might grow into a sort of guard dog? Or we could have another pet that runs around your base, and you can install a cat flap and it bursts out whenever it wants and swims in the vicinity with four flailing legs.
  • CristofCristof Join Date: 2016-11-10 Member: 223778Members
    Wolves are also pack animals.... Imagine if when you saw a reaper, it was herding you towards a PACK of them behind you... >.>
  • yungmewyungmew United States, California Join Date: 2016-12-24 Member: 225432Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »

Wolves are top of the line predators, but we still keep dogs. They're smart in the wild and when domesticated, since when hunting Wolves know to take on the smallest of the herd, and separate it first, and all that.

Then again, Reapers barely know what glass is.

I suppose the Cutefish might grow into a sort of guard dog? Or we could have another pet that runs around your base, and you can install a cat flap and it bursts out whenever it wants and swims in the vicinity with four flailing legs.

Wolves are mammals with the capacity to think.

These are fish. Fish rarely have any intelligence to them, save for a very specific few (no dolphins are not fish.)
    It would be highly unlikely a Reaper Leviathan evolved a brain that knows anything more than "ITS A FISH, GET IN MY MOUTH"
  • TheMontgomeryTheMontgomery Twin Cities Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226458Members
    edited January 2017
    These are fish. Fish rarely have any intelligence to them, save for a very specific few (no dolphins are not fish.)
    It would be highly unlikely a Reaper Leviathan evolved a brain that knows anything more than "ITS A FISH, GET IN MY MOUTH"

To be fair--as this is an alien world with a likely different abiogenesis than Earth's--these are not "fish" in the strict phylogenetic sense, despite similar outward appearances. The lifeforms of Planet 4546B could very well be under very different selective pressures for cognitive ability and have very different evolutionary relationships than analogous organisms on Earth. Even if one were to classify these organisms by cladistics for Earth creatures, there are features that make the Reaper Leviathan and the Stalker unlike any known chondrichthyes or osteichthyes, such as the extra mandibles, or the vertically-undulating tail fins.

So, I guess that's a long-winded way of saying that the intelligence of the sea life here is up to the devs, subject to change in an early-access game, etc. ;)
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members

So, I guess that's a long-winded way of saying that the intelligence of the sea life here is up to the devs, subject to change in an early-access game, etc. ;)

In addition, the stalkers seem to show basic signs of intelligence beyond "IT'S A FISH, GET IN MY MOUTH."

The brain is a muscle c:

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    If you scan the Reaper it says it has no brain.

Lucky the Reaper can survive the zombie apocalypse;-;
  • SerpentMaster1000SerpentMaster1000 Utah, USA Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226053Members

In addition, the stalkers seem to show basic signs of intelligence beyond "IT'S A FISH, GET IN MY MOUTH."

With their smaller size, and maybe greater intelligence, I believe Stalkers have a greater chance at becoming human ally's.
  • SerpentMaster1000SerpentMaster1000 Utah, USA Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226053Members
    edited January 2017
    And actually, I had designed a creature that you could train (and make it VERY hostile against you if you didn't). It is a snake approximately 2-3 meters long, has an awesome purple color (the same as my plush snake actually), and had its own island, on witch you would be attacked by another human, who thinks you are a hostile alien when she first catches sight of you (who, actually, has lots of serpentine ally's on the island).