Special Hull Plate Contest

ComproxComprox *chortle*Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
I have an extra hull plate that I bought when that was available and forgot about it for ages. You can read more info about this plate at the wiki. I believe the plate is #14, but I can't check it without redeeming the code. These numbered plates are not available any more so this is likely last chance to get one. All I am asking for is a reply in this thread with your favorite Subnautica story. They can be short, long, not even yours but you heard from a friend, stuff you saw on Youtube, etc. The winner will be picked randomly. You may post multiple times, but only one entry will count.

What you will win:
- 1 copy of Subnautica
- 1 numbered Hull Plate (probably around #14)
4lu1x2tgd1up.png

Replies up until 10pm MST on January 4, 2017 will be in the draw.

You can redeem just the Hull Plate if you already own the game. I don't believe the game can be re-gifted unfortunately.

Once a winner has been picked, I will contact them with the needed information. Redemption will take a while as it requires a lot of hands on work from the team.

Comments

• MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    Mine would be: Subnautica exists.
  • cloudsodacloudsoda Los Angeles Join Date: 2016-12-10 Member: 224769Members
    Thus far my "Lament of Lonesome David" is the most depressing thing I've experienced from Subnautica. ;____;
  • OatBranOatBran sequim, wa Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224541Members
    Wow, my favorite subnautica story? that is almost impossible since every single time I play the game, another amazing story is had.

I guess my favorite (recent) story was the first time I ventured into the Lost River biome. I had made a staging base in the blood kelp zone near the entrance to it and went to go check it out in my PRAWN suit, leaving the cyclops behind not knowing if it would even fit in that entrance.

Exploring the lost river was amazing. Anxiety inducing crab squids set the tension at the entrance, then coming in over a beautiful green waterfall to see the massive expanse of the inner chamber full of massive skeletons. Gathering resources and admiring the fauna, memorized by the mesmers I had begun to lose track of time.

Then proceeding onto the tree chamber, in complete awe of this beautiful massive structure with ghostrays abundant in the area. Thinking to myself this would be an amazing location for a base! As I approached the large drop off cliff that leads to the Inactive Lava Zone, I got a friendly warning from my pda that I was dying of malnutrition. Well that was depressing to hear. Realizing I had not brought any water or food, I turned back.

Climbing back up at the snails pace the PRAWN moved at, I was really beginning to worry that I wouldn't make it in time. Then taking a wrong turn on the way back and ending up in some weird root system, the anxiety really started to set in. I had reclaimed water to drink but that would push my food even lower. I pressed on down the unexplored root system since turning back would be certain death.

After coming to the end, what looked like a dead end actually curved outward towards the Grand Reef. 3% food remaining I was in a real hurry, using the grappling arm to speed things along. I finally come out into more open water and see some small fish! Crabsquids and warpers be damned, I am getting that food! So I rush in and grab a reginald, never to be so happy as to eat some sushi.

It was a long trek back but a valuable lesson learned, always bring a pack lunch with you on long journeys
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited December 2016
    My story from subnautica is the whole civil war happening right now

#notapromotion
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    On a more serious note, I do have quite the story.

It all started out when the Aurora was first released or, more importantly, when the Reaper Leviathan was implemented. I was calmly going to repair the Aurora in my trusty Seamoth, unaware of how dangerous a Reaper was. As I near the exploded bow of the ship, I hear the telltale roar of fear. Needless to say, I was not ready for what was to happened next. As I saw it, it went aggro and continued to bite my Seamoth, as it was somewhere between 10 and 15% health, I escaped. However, the Reaper was not done with me yet. It chased me past my lifepod, past my base in the Grassy Plateaus, all the way to the void where it then finally destroyed my Seamoth. It then proceeded to eat me.

Ever since then, I have never gone near the Aurora without a Cyclops again.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    You guys should just give out those plates to folks that have been "contributing" in one way or another. Doubt most people here need another copy of SN lol. I have no idea on the process of "giving" it but I doubt making them is hard, just slap a new texture on the model and call it a win.

Anyhoo gl to people that want to win one.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Mine's not much, but it's the best I have:

way back before the H20 update, on my very first saved game: Times were good. I had explored the first few biomes with eager joy, reveling at the strange and wonderful creatures that inhabited the game. I actually hadn't gotten very far, considering I'm pretty bad at survival games. However, each new foraging foray brought something different: an entirely new creature, or some stunningly beautiful sights.

Since this was back before the scanner was implemented, I actually would spend my free time (irl) drawing up bios for the creatures, which I would analyse with reckless abandon. In fact, that's probably why I had progressed so little: most of my time was spent following creatures around, marveling at their genetic traits and theorizing what survival mechanisms they might use. In several cases, these studies were carried out in... stressed environments (read: me being chased by a pack of stalkers, with a notepad, jotting down observations about their teeth).

By far the most mysterious creature for me, at that time, was the Reaper Leviathan (since I was playing without the wiki, I had affectionately taken to calling this rare-sighted creature Tim) Finally, after many hours of gameplay, and a few dodgy scenes with sandsharks ("Oh my god! Would you believe" *CHOMP* "the ambush tactics" *CHOMP* this species has perfected!"), I managed to make a seamoth. I'll never forget the feeling of freedom, zipping around from my safe shallows base to my grassy plateaus base for the very first time. Of course, now that I had the meagerest of submersibles, what would be my next course of action? Study the biggest, deadliest creature I could find... up close and personal! With rations packed and notebook at the ready, I set out for the nearest dropoff: the location of the last known sighting of Tim.

I was about 300 m deep, and gliding down between a subaquatic ravine, when I heard the roar. The sound sent a primal chill of fear down my spine- and an equally forceful buzz of excitement to go with it! Chasing the meagerest hint of a fin, I finally rounded a cliff and the huge beast popped into view (in retrospect, it probably just popped in, as in the bug, but it did not detract from the awe). Observing it from afar, I quickly began to- what else- sketch its body plan, only to look up and see it charging right at me! Scrambling for the controls, I sped away, but not fast enough! Needless to say, the reaper grabbed me with its claws, forcing my seamoth around to face it. Now, I wish I could say I gritted my teeth and wrote a detailed thesis on "Reaper Leviathan Hunting Habits." However, the reality was probably just me half-screaming, half frantically writing down anything I could make out (skin color, mandibles, number of eyes, etc). When I finally noticed my seamoth's health at around 0%, I desperately flung myself from the vehicle, hoping the reaper would drop it and focus on me. To my dismay/delight, that is exactly what happened. Long story short, I scrambled back into my seamoth and fled the scene, sparks flying inside the cockpit.

And that is how I "observed the reaper leviathan's unique hunting habits." No other game has left me so terrified, or so thrilled. By the way, if any of you out there had the immediate reaction to study a reaper while it was munching on you, please share your story! I hope I'm not the only masochistic/insane scientist out here. Oh, and sorry for the long-winded story. I don't really write much, so I've no clue exactly how bad my prose is.
    And that's just my real Subnautica story! The whole "politics" scene, and the civil war that's followed it, would be my top pick for sure, but I'm not sure how much that counts as a "real" subnautica story...
  • QuillQuickcardQuillQuickcard Deep Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-11-22 Member: 224131Members
    edited December 2016
    I was already quite familiar with Subnautica. Had been playing for about 2 months. Not much was left out there that could get my heart racing.

Then my Cyclops sank.

I was heading due Southwest, to the Grand Reef. I was drifting over some shallows, not really concerned with anything. Then I heard something RAM the hull, and the entire Cyclops lifted up. I could see the sky dead ahead. There were 2 more bangs, and the entire Cyclops spun around me. I was instantly disoriented. In a panic, I disengaged from the controls, and fell to the back of the ship. One more loud bang, and it all went silent.

The ship was tilted about 115 degrees to the right. But my character had remained perfectly vertical the entire time. I was in a blind panic. When had I last saved? Oh god, it was over 3 hours ago, before I built my Cyclops! I had to fix this! Somehow, I had to make this right, or an entire day was lost.

I knew I could could work with the game's geometry. I hopped, weaved, and waggled all around. I had to get through those doors. I had to get out of the ship! I'd never actually felt claustrophobic in a game before that moment, but now I was trapped and scared. Actually scared. It's unnerving, to have the world at an unnatural angle.

But I couldn't get out. I couldn't reach the hatch, or my docked PRAWN. I'd have to be more... Creative.

I found a small seam in the reality of the game- a tiny fracture in the Cyclops near the bottom-right corner of the engine room. I leapt at it dozens of times, twirling and bouncing like a mad ballerina in a twisted mockery of grace. And then I was outside.

But something was wrong.

The game didn't recognize I was outside. Gravity steadfastly held me to the ground. The water around me refused to drain my oxygen. The Cyclops was perched on a sandbar, tilted, like a plasteel corpse.

More panic.

I'd REALLY broken the game now. Did I dare save, and hope that a reload would fix the suddenly impossible physics of the world? Did I risk losing my entire file?

Desperation dawned... Untill I realized that I could explore. The ocean was mine to walk, unimpaired by lungs. And so my legs carried me over the seafloor, ever onward. I walked the dunes seeking wrecks and planting beacons.

But the gods do not look kindly on hubris. The world snapped back into proper order. I was drowning. I swam in terror. I had to make it, I had to make it! The world became dark, everything faded...

And with a gasp my character and I shared, I broke the surface. My heart was pounding.

I retrieved my Seamoth near my lifepod and returned to my Cyclops. Slowly, I pushed it off the reef where it had turned on its side, and watched as it tired itself.

Everything was fine, and I continued that save for another month or so, until the Bones update. But until the day I put away that save forever, my Cyclops always did seem to jump a little higher out of the water than it should have...

It was an amazing experience, and it only redoubled my love for this game, giving me in the span of a single hour all the thrills, chills, and wonders that 2 months of the game had delivered. I don't know why this happened, but I'm glad it did.
  • SunnyBatSunnyBat Join Date: 2016-08-24 Member: 221660Members
    I'm not too active on these forums, but I'll enter anyways.

I have an unconventional story. My friend was having issues with Subnautica taking a long time to load, stuttering, and crashing. Nothing really solved his issues; he'd start a new game, then a few hours later he'd start crashing. Great. As it turns out, he decided to skip on an SSD. I have no clue why. However, he decided that getting 24GB of RAM was a fantastic idea.

I suggested that he use a RAM disk to run Subnautica. This would drastically reduce load times, stuttering, and hopefully reduce the amount of crashes experienced. After helping him set it up with only minimal TeamViewer use, he tested it. 9-second load times, no crashes, almost no stuttering, and an overall smooth experience. There was a MASSIVE difference in performance, and he greatly enjoyed playing Subnautica after this. He currently has 80 hours on record, and I think about 30 of these have been after the RAM disk swap.

Here's a writeup I made for how to use a RAM disk with Subnautica. I personally don't recommend it, since it requires extra effort when starting and quitting Subnautica and has a higher chance of losing your data, however it can work if you're in a bind and can't invest in an SSD at the moment.
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    My fav subnautica story..... hmmmm.... Well my funniest is definetly when I was in a Skype call with a friend while we were both playing (not together though :( ) when I had gone into one of the abandoned life pods in the red platue. Anyway when I turned around guess what was waiting for me in the small hole you had to enter through, yup a sandshark, staring into my soul. I screamed, my friend laughed, good times.

But I want something more...... the thing is I've had so many good times its hard to narrow down. But here's another one:
    I had ventured further and further into the blood kelp. And once I heard it and tried to resurface I realized my mistake. I had gone into the section of blood kelp where the Dunes was right outside. I had to decide to try to run through the Dunes to the Mushroom Forest for safety, or go back into the Blood Kelp for safety and find my way out. I did that one cause I am wimp.

Hmmmmm anymore.... seeing the sea dragon for the first time that was fun but not enough. Ahha! I remember one now!

So I wanted to make my first Cyclops, I needed Stalker teeth and to get those I would need a Stalker to bite into some metal, so I grabbed 3 scrap metals and brought it near the Kelp Forest. A Stalker was swimming around the border and I decided to use him. And honestly I had a blast playing with this Stalker and the scrap metal dropping it so he could grab and getting stinking hyped whenever a tooth dropped, but honestly I feel like I got this thing to be my pet, once it got to the point where he wasn't attacking me, I don't know I just liked that I had made this animal who originally wanted to eat me suddenly trusted me enough to swim alongside it.....

Well thats all I have for now, would love to win, but I probably won't my stories aren't that good xD
  • kubazet99kubazet99 Czech Republic Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221450Members
    edited December 2016
    My firstime meeting with Reaper,oh god this was so terrible jumpscare!.I was on the in my seamoth way to aurora rear,hearing the tipical noise,but nowhere to see him,when i go closer to one fragment,Ther Reaper just Apear from the ground!It looks like he swim through the wall!Oh god i get heartattack!Fastest as is possible i escapte and to play return one week after this!
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Well, this looks pretty cool, so I'm going to enter with one of my favourite Subnautica stories. I've been saving this one for a while, so ehre we go :)

I had recently constructed a Seamoth and was whizzing through the ocean looking at the jaw-dropping scenery, searching for fragments, so on. I continued for about half an hour before I looked down and realised there was nothing beneath me. I turned to see the edge of the world, and how it dropped so suddenly. I surfaced and saw I was at the very nose of the Aurora. After I had figured out where I was I dived beneath the surface again and drove up and down the edge of the void to try and find any special fragments. I saw bone sharks and stalkers, and the occasional wreck, but this was about all. I decided that this would be my last scan of the edge before I made my way back to my base in the Kelp Forest. So I drove up and down the edge, and realised only too late that I had driven further than I had meant to. I felt the Aurora rumble, and I heard a roar in the distance. I turned to try and see the monster, and all it showed me was its tail beating up and down in the murk. I stared in this direction for a second before its head burst through the fog. I charged towards it and dodged at the last second, like you are meant to, and as it curved around to try and catch me I darted over its head, towards the void. It turned again to follow me, but I definitely had the upper hand. I drove further and further until I reached the drop off. In my mind the only escape was downwards, so I darted downwards keeping to the rock cliff face. I turned to look up. The water was a dark blue. I saw no reaper in the distance, so I slowly began to make my way back up. Then I heard the monster roar as if it were a foot away from me. I jumped and the mouse moved with my hand. As I faced the wall of rock, in my headlights burst the reaper from the wall. It grabbed my seamoth and shook it in its mandibles, its head thrashing in every direction. It let go of the seamoth, and I once again darted upwards. The reaper began to chase me once again, and I knew that I didn't stand a chance. I hopped out of the seamoth and used pulled out my propulsion cannon. I swam above the seamoth and with a single shot it was sent five meters further into the depths. The reaper followed and as its jaws sunk into the metal I fired a stasis shot at the beast. It sat still, and I pulled out my seaglide in an attempt to reach the surface in time. I was five hundred meters down at this point, and my oxygen quickly depleted. The screen turned dark, and I heard the roar of the beast beneath me. I died in the depths, but I locked down there a monster, and I'm proud of that.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I was already quite familiar with Subnautica. Had been playing for about 2 months. Not much was left out there that could get my heart racing.

Then my Cyclops sank.

I was heading due Southwest, to the Grand Reef. I was drifting over some shallows, not really concerned with anything. Then I heard something RAM the hull, and the entire Cyclops lifted up. I could see the sky dead ahead. There were 2 more bangs, and the entire Cyclops spun around me. I was instantly disoriented. In a panic, I disengaged from the controls, and fell to the back of the ship. One more loud bang, and it all went silent.

The ship was tilted about 115 degrees to the right. But my character had remained perfectly vertical the entire time. I was in a blind panic. When had I last saved? Oh god, it was over 3 hours ago, before I built my Cyclops! I had to fix this! Somehow, I had to make this right, or an entire day was lost.

I knew I could could work with the game's geometry. I hopped, weaved, and waggled all around. I had to get through those doors. I had to get out of the ship! I'd never actually felt claustrophobic in a game before that moment, but now I was trapped and scared. Actually scared. It's unnerving, to have the world at an unnatural angle.

But I couldn't get out. I couldn't reach the hatch, or my docked PRAWN. I'd have to be more... Creative.

I found a small seam in the reality of the game- a tiny fracture in the Cyclops near the bottom-right corner of the engine room. I leapt at it dozens of times, twirling and bouncing like a mad ballerina in a twisted mockery of grace. And then I was outside.

But something was wrong.

The game didn't recognize I was outside. Gravity steadfastly held me to the ground. The water around me refused to drain my oxygen. The Cyclops was perched on a sandbar, tilted, like a plasteel corpse.

More panic.

I'd REALLY broken the game now. Did I dare save, and hope that a reload would fix the suddenly impossible physics of the world? Did I risk losing my entire file?

Desperation dawned... Untill I realized that I could explore. The ocean was mine to walk, unimpaired by lungs. And so my legs carried me over the seafloor, ever onward. I walked the dunes seeking wrecks and planting beacons.

But the gods do not look kindly on hubris. The world snapped back into proper order. I was drowning. I swam in terror. I had to make it, I had to make it! The world became dark, everything faded...

And with a gasp my character and I shared, I broke the surface. My heart was pounding.

I retrieved my Seamoth near my lifepod and returned to my Cyclops. Slowly, I pushed it off the reef where it had turned on its side, and watched as it tired itself.

Everything was fine, and I continued that save for another month or so, until the Bones update. But until the day I put away that save forever, my Cyclops always did seem to jump a little higher out of the water than it should have...

It was an amazing experience, and it only redoubled my love for this game, giving me in the span of a single hour all the thrills, chills, and wonders that 2 months of the game had delivered. I don't know why this happened, but I'm glad it did.

@UWE you need to implement stuff like this ^ in the game mechanics (random emergencies that can bring even the mighty Cyclops to its knees). Make a way for the player to get out, but leave them in a panic. <3 loved that story. (Not saying implement it before release, but it would add immersion +300% IMHO.)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    SunnyBat wrote: »
    I'm not too active on these forums, but I'll enter anyways.

I have an unconventional story. My friend was having issues with Subnautica taking a long time to load, stuttering, and crashing. Nothing really solved his issues; he'd start a new game, then a few hours later he'd start crashing. Great. As it turns out, he decided to skip on an SSD. I have no clue why. However, he decided that getting 24GB of RAM was a fantastic idea.

I suggested that he use a RAM disk to run Subnautica. This would drastically reduce load times, stuttering, and hopefully reduce the amount of crashes experienced. After helping him set it up with only minimal TeamViewer use, he tested it. 9-second load times, no crashes, almost no stuttering, and an overall smooth experience. There was a MASSIVE difference in performance, and he greatly enjoyed playing Subnautica after this. He currently has 80 hours on record, and I think about 30 of these have been after the RAM disk swap.

Here's a writeup I made for how to use a RAM disk with Subnautica. I personally don't recommend it, since it requires extra effort when starting and quitting Subnautica and has a higher chance of losing your data, however it can work if you're in a bind and can't invest in an SSD at the moment.

If you have $30, you can use DIMMDrive (Steam store program, automagically does all of that ^ for you).
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    A Subnautica Story that is fresh in my mind because it happened just the other week happened during a Subnautica twitch stream I was watching, I believe it was Etalyx who was playing if anyone knows him.

Anyway, what happened was his viewers told him to go behind the Aurora to start his journey to find the floating island with the his new seamoth he literally just built. He went over and was just on the ridge overlooking the debris field behind the Aurora when he realised that he didn't have is radiation helmet on. He got out of his seamoth to equip it and when he was doing it a reaper came up and grabbed his seamoth. It scared him so much he accidentally dropped his radiation helmet. He was freaking out and decided he needed to find his helmet so he wouldn't die to the radiation, meanwhile a few 100 feet away the reaper destroyed his brand new seamoth. He was devastated by that but still needed to find his rad helmet so he could still survive, but due to the helmet model being fins he just couldn't find it.

He ended up dying and was devastated by losing his seamoth he just made a few minutes prior and his radiation helmet and was even more angry once he found out he couldn't just craft the individual helmet and had to craft the entire suit which he didn't need.

It was hilarious and I was there to witness it live! Shame he got very frustrated with the game and kinda took a break for a little after that.

This gave me a good excuse and place to share this story, so thanks!

PS: I am trying to collect all the Subnautica special items and my hull plate collection is almost complete! All I need is one of these ones and the Gilathiss Hull Plate.
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    I Allready Have Subnautica. So Just A Hull Plate? I Would Have It Say "The Second Defender Of Arceus Will Win."
  • themaelstormthemaelstorm Germany Join Date: 2016-11-03 Member: 223623Members
    I'm gonna go with one I posted on reddit before.
    I gotta share this with you guys... I'm playing my new game yesterday. It's my second start-over and I made it up to making a seamoth in the first, I also made it same level in this game. So I went to aurora, did things then on my way back decided to do some exploring!
    I am enjoying my seamoth, I went down to this mushroom biome with Jellyrays (I first approach with seamoth to see if they'll attack), collected some mats, I keep swimming around...
    By the way, it's 1 AM and I'm sleepy as hell.
    Anyway, I thought I could just go to my base (under my pod) and just explore the line between because I'm out of space and energy is getting low (already using my 2nd battery at this point). I turned to face my pod and it wasn't there. I figure I traveled too much and lost my sense of direction, so I look around and see it. Damn, it is FAR. I start cruising and on my way I SEE A REAPER FECKFECKRISERISEBEFOREITSEESME
    Phew. I'm good, I'm good. I hesitantly turn back to see if it followed me or anything.... Nothing. Good.
    So I keep cruising and the distance is closing but I see nothing beneath me and it's weird because I know there was a huge blood grass or whatever it's called zone.
    It feels like something is wrong so I turn on the lights.... nothing. The pod is still some distance but I should be close enough. So I decided I should be able to see things if I go a bit deeper (I'm cruising near the surface normally).
    I also started to feel this weird fear/concern/panic that the game may be bugged and nothing is loading and I haven't saved. At the same time, this somehow started turning into a fear of being lost.
    So I started descending. Still nothing. I hear Reefbacks, look around, nothing. Descend. Nothing. 100 meters or so I decided to just face the seafloor and see if lights will show anything. Nothing.
    I hear a reefback close by. I turn my face back up ANDHOLYSHITREAPERIDUNWANNADIE he grabs me and he starts shaking me and the moth wasn't in full status... He leaves me at 10%
    I just ascend like hell, I actually jumped out of water so fast that I flew a bit.
    Luckily I was facing pods direction.... but something strikes oddly... that I don't see the aurora, which should be right behind the pod. I look at other directions.. nothing.
    The previous fear just starts grabbing me but I think it's worst case a bug and the pod will be safe and I start cruising.
    Nothing beneath me. Nothing again. Green color waters! ...nothing AGAIN
    At this point, with sleep also getting to me, I'm incredibly creeped.
    I just made a run for the pod without looking down and I MADE IT! YESSS So I face down to see my lovely ba-
    WAIT WHERE IS MY BASE? WHY DONT I SEE ANYTHING????
    The fear was basically toying with me at this point. My mind can't grasp it, I thought maybe it wasn't my pod. I'm still scared shitless from the reaper but I take a chance and get out of the moth and yes, this is indeed my pod.
    Oh, there is a message. Play it. The message is just: "REMOVED"
    WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON??!
    Then I remember reading something about the pod may move? I never had it, thought it was someone who was confused... but maybe it's real? You gotta understand at this point it feels like hearing a ghost story, not giving a shit and then being subjected to it.
    I take this as the most logical explanation. Now I need to find my base. Luckily, I can make it's location by looking at aurora (it's adjacent to the thermal vent near the kelps without stalkers)
    So I go on top of the pod and look at aurora... and it's not there. In the distance I can see maybe a piece of it??
    But it's FAR. HOW CAN THIS BE?
    I gather my courage. I'm awake because of adrenaline but still sleepy-ish due to being tired, but I summon all the energy. I jump down, weld the moth and I just make a non-stop trip to Aurora.
    I remember before I saw a reaper around my current location actually and JUST WHEN I THINK OF IT, I catch a glimpse of that motherdiver and I just make a run for it.
    I don't even look back to see if it chases me, just cruise to aurora.
    Finally, I started seeing things. Then kelps. Then blood grass. Then I move around a bit and find my base.
    I almost cried. But I laughed. Then I went to sleep before I lost it.
    And this is why I will never forget this game.
    Holy shit developers, thanks for enabling this adventure :D
  • EpicrockerEpicrocker Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225367Members
    This once happened in a stream I was watching on Twitch.

So the guy streaming got glitched in his PRAWN, and was sent flying thousands of meters into the air. After 5 minutes of rising and falling, he finally reached sea level, and he and his PRAWN were sent into the abyss below. Was kind of funny just seeing the crazy bugs that could happen in this game, haha.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Oh, what an awesome idea, thanks for doing this!

My favorite SN story is - shamelessly - my own ridiculous tale of learning how certain plants work. I posted it in another thread, but here it is again if anyone feels like reading:
    Experimental game mode on the day the farming elements showed up there.

Reveling in all the decorating possibilities the update had brought, I started a lovely little underwater garden by my base. 12 planters in a 3 by 4 layout, right outside the window for the perfect view, with planters close enough to one another that the edges touched. I had them all filled with plants I dragged from various zones over time, with the two center planters reserved for the hardest to get specimen.

Once there were no more plants left for me to acquire and I still had some planting space left, I decided to fill the empty spots with acid mushrooms. I gathered as many as I needed and planted them in 2-mushrooms-wide rows all around my rare planters, because hey, they glow and it looked nice. Versailles had nothing on my garden, I tell ya.

Some time later, I did discover a plant I did not have yet, so I had to remove a duplicate from one of the rare planters to put it in. I swung the knife and... just like that, with no visual or audio warning, I died and 'woke up' inside the base that was leaking. Heavily. Before I could fix all the leaks, I even stupidly managed to die once more, because my welder ran out of power at the very last leak, and I ran out air while trying to make it to the surface.

With the damage fixed and the base drained, I started to wonder what the ever-loving-heck happened, but could not figure it out for the life of me. Finally decided that it had to be a game glitch, and went on my merry way. Imagine my shock when I visited my perfect garden, now devoid of ANY plants. Barren and empty as if I had never planted anything there. Really weird glitch, right?

Took me long, long hours to get another set of seeds and recreate it exactly like it was before. When all the plants grew up, I saw that I put one of them in the wrong place, ruining the meticulous design. Easy fix, though. I grabbed the knife to cut the offender out and... just like that, I died and 'woke up' inside the base that was leaking. I was so furious that I deleted that save, considering it irreparably broken.

Imagine my shock when, many days later, I read somewhere about the acid shrooms being explosive. I had a damn good laugh at my own expense.
  • SunseahlSunseahl Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205358Members
    edited December 2016
    It's been awhile since I posted on this place... but here's mine...

Back before there was even a shred of lore.... before wrecks, multipurpose rooms, and before Floating Islands or Bloodkelp... And certainly before I even knew that there was a third layer(Lost River) Or a fourth(Inactive/active Lava) the simplicity of simply exploring this crashed world was my highest delight. Imagine a new player constantly confusing the glowing orbs of the Grand Reef as "koosh balls" and you have the mindset I was in.

So... there I was, proud of myself that I had managed to make my way to the Aurora with only a seaglide, doge a Reaper Leviathan right at the mouth of her, and fix the drive core. That's when i found "the hole" probably a dev quick-access for debugging the drive core before more guts were added later.... Anyway... upon my exit i found a rare sight. A supply crate, stuck in the access path. gleefully I opened the box hoping the contents would be something valuable like a power cell... OR WATER! OH GODS HOW I ALWAYS NEEDED WATER!

But, casting open the lid I found myself struck by the curious oddity of a white X. Intrigued, I picked it up and "Boop! Boop! Boop!" off in the distance, hundreds of meters away was a beacon, "Large Organic Mass."

"'Organic Mass?' There's nothing that way but the Dunes and more death than i care for," I thought to myself. Still, I took back to my small 2x1 foundation and it's ring of hallways. Slowly i gathered the materials and built myself a mobile vehicle bay....

Deploying it I looked over the designs of the seamoth and cyclops, their fragments I had researched in a little device on my Escape Pod... Back them it seemed wholly easier, and it was, to build a cyclops before a seamoth. So that's what i built... If i was gonna go to Reaper country i was gonna bring the baddest mamma-jamma I could.

Gathering the parts was easy... making sure the mobile bay would build over deep enough water... Tha-at was the tricky part. luckily my base and pod were close to the Grassy Plateau where the giant Jelly Shroom Cave entrance is. Perfect depth for a Cyclops.

Once she was built i climbed aboard and, christening her Calypso, turned for the beacon. "Boop! Boop! Boop!" "Large Organic Mass." The ship ran smoothly around the kelp forest and other side of safe shallows... and that's when I heard them... Reapers... But not where I was heading.... they were... Behind me?

"Wow... I must never have been this far before!" I thought... and I was right, I hadn't. Eagerly pushing forward spindles and columns of what looked twisted earth emerged from the world just over the horizon... Creeping spires of a dead region. "This can't be right" these don't look Orga-HURK!"

Calypso banged on something, then again! I was terrified. Could there be something BIGGER and WORSE that a Reaper? When I let go of her controls the world stopped... frozen in time as if it were finally catching up with me in a ending reminiscent of The Langoliers. That's when it happened... Massive heads of mushrooms began to appear all along the nearby spires. I instantly took the controls and began backing up, desperate to make sure i wouldn't get stuck.

Once free I began to surface over the tops... noticing a gnarled, twisted mass of crust bigger than the others with the beacon still pinging, dead on at that point "Boop! Boop! Boop!" "Large Organic Mass."

Bravely I pushed forward, sure some reaper would suddenly spawn before me and gobble me from inside por Calypso. But that's when I heard Calypso's Siren Call.... A crying as if mourning the loss of their entire world as more of them began to sing... Unable to see below myself in this monstrous machine I'd constructed, I let go again and dove from the hatch into a small pod of Jelly Rays! They were floating just below my Calypso and their song both haunted and soothed my spirit and mind. I swore then and there that if I ever found a way, I'd tame one as my own and let it's call free me from this world, in death or escape.

Climbing back aboard Calypso i remarked how proud I was of this day. Of this chance to explore... And of the vow i have kept.

Every time i begin again the first place I go, provided I have a seaglide at least, is the Mushroom Forest... where i scoop a Jelly Ray egg, or two... one to hatch in an alien containment tank... and one to cure and take with me when I finally leave this Precursor forsaken world...
  • rusticleopardrusticleopard Scotland Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225400Members
    Ahhhhhh. Thanks for the givaway OP!

Story

I was collecting some peepers at the start of the game, and the AI said that the ship was about to explode! I quickly ascended to the surface, just in time to see the Aurora explode! It was brilliant! From then on, I adored Subnautica, and I have put many hours into the game now!
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited December 2016
    Lots of cool stories in here i see and love them!

Of course, the Reaper Leviathan is the real star of the game here. Since the very first time i encountered it that thing has been obsessing me very much. Heres a lil recap of my first encounter:

'The Reaper Leviathan scares the crap out you even before you see it for the first time, you hear it in the distance at first and tell yourself WHAA DAA FAAA is this thing i hear roaring in the distance .... then you get a bit closer, very slowly at first of course, then you hear that roar again, much louder :smiley:

Then bam you see it circling in the distance. You observe it a few seconds then decide to take a closer look, advancing towwards it VERY SLOWLY :smiley:

Thats when ''it'' notices you and decides to swim towards you at full speed and you (of course) freak the F*** out and try to run away but HOLY SURPRISE BATMAN! that thing swims faster than your seamoth :smiley:

It grabs you from behind (without lube, of course), making sure to turn your seamoth around so you can admire his face in all its amazing glory'ness while it tears your seamoth in pieces and leaves you butthurt naked in the midnight sea :scream: You can do nothing else but cry your life while seeing the fuc.ker swim back towards you for the killing blow .... *picked up reclaimed water*

Welcome Aboard Captain, all systems online :smiley:

Now that you've got time to kill, how bout sipping on that reclaimed water ... hope you activated that taste neutralization function on yer swimsuit beforehand :wink: ''

Nowadays whenever someone on youtube catch my attention im very anxious to see them encounter a Reaper for the first time just to see their reaction to it.

Its always immensely fun to see people freak out in either curiosity or downright horror whenever they cross path with one for the first time! My favorite all-time youtube one was definitely Morgan Wheeler (Morgan Wheeler Games , on youtube). Her reaction to meeting one for the first time was pretty intense hahaha! (skip to 9:40 'ish for the exact moments :smiley: )

Rainstorm wrote: »
    Its always immensely fun to see people freak out in either curiosity or downright horror whenever they cross path with one for the first time! My favorite all-time youtube one was definitely Morgan Wheeler (Morgan Wheeler Games , on youtube). Her reaction to meeting one for the first time was pretty intense hahaha! (skip to 9:40 'ish for the exact moments :smiley: )

If you want want good Reaper Leviathan reactions, check out Coryxkenshin's playthrough. It's a little old, but well worth it. If you look at the Subnautica playlist of his, you'll know exactly which videos contain the Reaper.
  • bactchanbactchan Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225405Members
    Best new player moment: Watching the Aurora explode for the very first time from the vantage of the top of my lifepod. Then, like a true tryhard I swam right at the ship, intent on rescuing any survivors that might have been left on board. Didn't even notice I was dying of radiation until I was halfway there, by which point I was already too far gone. At least I didn't lose anything except my rad cherry.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Rainstorm wrote: »

If you want want good Reaper Leviathan reactions, check out Coryxkenshin's playthrough. It's a little old, but well worth it. If you look at the Subnautica playlist of his, you'll know exactly which videos contain the Reaper.

LOL got to agree, that one was indeed pretty great :smiley:

• StickyPistonCinemaStickyPistonCinema Join Date: 2016-12-24 Member: 225444Members
    This was my end-of-term English Honors project, SubStranded:

SubStranded
    A science fiction story inspired by Subnautica.
    Prologue:
    The ocean. The deep sea. A vast tub of deep blue water, as deep as the deepest sinkhole. As large as millions upon trillions of skyscrapers. As ominous as a rusty steel door at the end of a long, dark corridor. There could be anything below you. Anything from a simple goldfish to a kraken with it’s tentacles poised to strike you with an acid strong enough to burn straight through your entire body within mere milliseconds. A terrible sea monster could be just meters below your pumping legs, so close to just closing its teeth around your juicy appendages. You would notice nothing, until searing pain shoots up your legs and you slip out of consciousness, seeing nothing, but blackness.
    Chapter I - Escape:
    Aaron awoke with a cold sweat on his forehead, momentarily unaware of the disaster taking place around him. Boarded upon the TS Aurora, a massive TS class interstellar research shuttle, he was dozens of meters away from any other people. However, even he couldn’t miss the sound of the critical emergency alarms blaring. Sitting up as fast as he could, he pushed away the thin but durable and comfortable blankets that were provided to each member of the research team. He quickly slid into his suit for the day, a one piece full body suit made out of a lightweight, flexible material, and ran to the door. He slammed it open, and sprinted to the escape pod bay. Jamming the passcode into the keypad, a sliding magnesium door slid open, and he pushed through. He ran into the nearest safety pod, crawled inside the entry window, and slammed it shut behind him. Aaron hurriedly sat down in one of the G-Resisting chairs, and slammed his fist into the launch button. He felt his cheeks flap as the pod pushed itself away from the Aurora at more than 500 miles per hour, and watched in both fear and awe as a flicker of flame spawned at the center of the ship. The ship imploded seconds after the capsule escaped the blast radius.

• • •
    The blood rushing to his head, Aaron tried not to scream. The interior of the pod was rapidly warming, and the heat was almost unbearable. Aaron dared to look out the window, seeing the Aurora streaking past him towards the nearest planet; a sphere of lush blue painted in many different shades. A loud boom jerked him back to reality as the pod entered the planet’s atmosphere, and a steel plate ripped forth from the wall, smashing around the spherical room until slamming brutally into Aaron’s temple. He slid into blackness.

Chapter II - Recovery:
    Aaron awoke from consciousness just in time to hear the PHOOM of the Aurora crashing into the water about a mile away from him. Wait, water? Aaron smashed the control panel for the seat, causing the emergency mechanism to release the seat lock, and shakily climbed up the ladder to the surface. First, he looked down. The lifepod was white and orange with a large 5 painted on the side. He then looked around. There was the Aurora, smoking and flaming in some areas. Everywhere else, was water. Aaron shivered. The shimmering surface throbbed up and down, seemingly innocent, but Aaron knew that there could be anything below him. As if on cue, a deep, guttural roar rang out, reverberating in the back of whatever caused it’s throat. Aaron shivered, a pulsing vibration rattling down his spine. He crouched down and clutched the sides of the escape pod, and screamed out in desperation. He didn’t know what he would do. Aaron had been afraid of the water ever since his sister had somehow found her way into a pipe leading to the septic system, before being washed away into the incinerator, never to seen again. After a couple of minutes of feeling pure fear and writhing on the airlock, he finally pulled himself together and stood. Looking around for the second time, courage surged up his throat. He bravely promised himself that he would never give up. No matter what, he would survive.
    Chapter III - Aftershock:
    Aaron got to work. Climbing back into his pod, he opened the emergency storage locker bolted to the walls and grabbed both a backpack and a processed protein bar. Hungrily sinking his teeth into the bland material of the bar, he discarded the wrapper in the pod’s built in waste burning system, which cleverly transferred the smoke into energy for the pod’s use. Opening up the backpack, and gazing in, Aaron gasped. There were two filtered water bottles, along with a titanium diving mask and small oxygen tank. There was no way that the backpack could carry so many items but being lightweight, but the engineering team had somehow pulled it off. He then realized something important: his PDA. The PDA was a small, lightweight translucent tablet with multiple functions. He pulled it out and pressed the power button, then dropped it in surprise. The PDA had made a sound, saying “Booting in emergency power mode” in an artificial, emotionless female voice. After a few moments, the screen flickered to life, and he tapped on the main icon. The PDA then instructed him to take a backpack from the storage locker, which he had already done, and then told him how it works.
    “The AirPack was designed by the Alterra Corporation. Using a classified material, it disperses all weight into the two nano-antennaes, which then discharge the energy into the surrounding air, thus eliminating all strain on the carrier. The PDA also has the ability to scan the contents of the AirPack”.
    Aaron whistled. Alterra tech had really been advancing lately. Taking one last look around the pod, he noticed the new Alterra Fabricator that he had learned about on the Aurora. Using a combination of lasers and hydraulic pistons, it formed and shaped materials into new objects. Looking back to the ladder, he climbed up for a second time. On the top of the pod, he strapped on the mask, and jumped.

Chapter IV - Below:
    The water erupting around him as hit the surface, Aaron sank like a rock. Twisting around, he gasped at what he saw, and bubbles flew out from his mouth. The mask was temporary; and would only last a couple of minutes. Aaron pumped his legs until he reached the surface, and the mask’s filters refilled the small tank with pure oxygen. He waited a few seconds until the meter read “full”, and kicked his way back down. Looking around again, he managed to contain his surprise. There was sand as far as he could see, covered with what seemed to be spilt paint. Going in for a closer look, he realized that the “paint” was actually plant life. There were lush purple mushrooms, vibrant orange coral, and schools of blue and yellow fish with noticeably large, round eyes. Looking to the horizon, he squinted and saw the faintest trace of thick, dancing green vines. Finding it harder to breathe, he started swimming back up.
    Chapter V - Salvage:
    Aaron decided to float around below the life pod. Sticking close to the sand (he was only about 20 feet down), he observed the alien marine life. As the sun creeped to the center of the sky, he noticed a glint out of the corner of his eye. Swimming closer to it, he discovered a large piece of scrap metal. Looking around, he noticed that the ground was littered with them. He paddled to each one, picking them up and putting them in his AirPack. He continued this process until his backpack was filled to the brim with both metal and pieces of quartz that he had found, and started heading back to Lifepod 5.

• • •
    Stuffing the salvaged metal into the fabricator, he jabbed his fingers on the holographic keypad that blinked to life until he found the titanium option. The lasers set to work, shaping, molding, and breaking down the metal parts until he had ten chunks of solid titanium. He then inserted the quartz and melted it down into glass. After it cooled, he used the glass and titanium to fabricate an extra oxygen tank using the preinstalled blueprints that came with the PDA. Inserting the tank into the specialized slot on the AirPack, he felt crisp air flood his lungs. Making sure that the antennae that adsorbed oxygen were sticking up and into the air, he opened the airtight hatch built into the floor of the lifepod, and jumped back into the sea.
    Chapter VI - Creation:
    After collecting dozens of chunks of quartz and titanium, he consulted the PDA for blueprints. The preinstalled Survival Knife required silicone rubber, which he discovered was collected from trailing stemmed plants such as vines. Remember back to the swishing vines, he started heading North. He kept swimming until he was a mere ten meters away from the ominous plants. They moved in a mesmerizing pattern, radiating a primalistic sense of danger. He started drifting towards the vines, thinking it was just hunger, but stopped. Hearing a noise below him, he knew that he had made a mistake. A dark shape had erupted from the thick vines, tearing through them as it darted forwards. Grabbing the upper leaves of the vine, he tore a couple away, and started frantically swimming. After a couple of seconds, he dared a look behind him, and instantly regretted it. A toothy mouth filled his peripheral vision; attached to a hideous gray creature. It looked like a hammerhead shark that he had seen from images on the Aurora, but with a lack of pity. The creature was hungry, and it would do anything to saturate it’s hatred. A burst of bubbles erupted from Aaron’s mask, and he thanked luck for his extra oxygen tank. He kicked his legs until they felt like they would fall off, not caring if it had stopped following him. He only stopped once he had made it below Lifepod 5, and let out a sigh of relief.

• • •
    Using the vines (which the PDA identified as “creepvine”), he fabricated a couple of rolls of silicone rubber. He dumped in the chunks of titanium along with the silicone into the fabricator, inserted the PDA, loaded the survival knife blueprint, and hit start. After a couple of seconds a steel knife with a rubber handle had been formatted, and he tested it in his grip. Using the leftover rubber, he also created a pair of fins so that he could swim a bit faster. Feeling confident, he headed out again.
    Chapter VII - Hunger:
    Aaron felt a rumble shake his stomach, and knew that he had to eat. But what? He had never been here before. No one had. How would he find food that was safe for human consumption? Looking into the blueprints on his PDA, he discovered one called the “Scanner”. Hoping that it would tell him more about what he could eat, he consulted the resources list.
    “The Scanner requires: 2x Titanium and 1x Battery” the PDA rattled out. Checking the resources for a battery, he realized that he needed copper wire and acid mushrooms. Presuming that acid mushrooms where the purple mushrooms that he had seen earlier, he swam out of the pod and picked up a couple. He then kicked around trying to find copper ore, and after a while decided to use his knife to smash open the chunks of limestone that were apparent across the sand. Swimming over to one, he drove the hilt of his knife into the chunk a couple of times, and it shattered. All that remained was an amber colored chunk of stone, and the PDA informed him that it was copper. Kicking up to the surface for air and then breast stroking back to Lifepod 5, he fabricated copper wire and used it along with the acid mushrooms to create a battery with a titanium shell. He plugged in the scanner blueprints and made the scanner base, and then plugged in the battery and put in glass and wire, letting the fabricator touch it up for him. A few moments later, he was alerted with a pleasant ding and went over to the fabricator. Picking up the scanner, he played around with the controls. Holding down the trigger and pointing it at the chunk of titanium that he held in his hand, it collected data from the Aurora and then used it’s the surroundings to complete a report about the titanium. The data then transmitted from the scanner to the PDA with a whirring swoosh. He opened the hatch on the bottom of the pod and dived out, and started scanning every fish that swam by.
    After a couple of minutes of scanning and draining the battery, he finally found a fish that was presumably edible. It turned out to be one of the blue and yellow fish with the huge eye that he had initially seen (which he learned to be called a “Peeper”), and had chased after it and then grabbing it. Collapsing it’s throat with a jab from his knife, he took it back to the lifepod just as the PDA informed him of calorie deficiency. He set it on the ledge of the fabricator, pressed the “cook” function, and watched as the lasers from the fabricator burnt through the flesh, evaporating the bone, and then heated it to a suitable temperature. Lifting the mask, he braced himself, and took a bite of the peeper, and was immediately surprised as flavor flooded his mouth. He decided to collect more peepers, cook them, and then headed up to the top of the pod.
    Chapter VIII - Promise:
    Aaron gazed across the ocean. He had earlier promised to himself that he would find a way out of this, and initially it was just a false sense of hope. Now, as the sun sank past the never ending ocean and the two moons rose into the sky, he knew that he could do it. Taking in a deep breath of the night air, he descended back into Lifepod 5.

• WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    For me, it's the whole experience of playing the game. I love the ocean. I wanted to be a Marine Biologist growing up but at some point I shifted focus to a more technological interest in machines and programming. Everytime I load up Subnautica it feels like I'm getting to experience something I choose to leave behind. From exploring to scanning the creatures, it really feels like I get the best of worlds. I get to continue down my engineering path in real life, and when I play the game I get to explore and geek out about all the creatures. I love building large aquariums and stocking each individual one with different biome's flora and fauna.

And the biomes themselves! The main draw in this game is difinitely all the beautiful biomes. I'm currently playing a new game and slowly wokring my way down to the Lost River. I've seen pictures, but I know from other biomes actually getting there makes pictures feel lackluster. Very excited to find all the hidden gems down there!

As for a particular story, the one that comes to mind from my playthorughs, is probably the first time I really explored the purple mushroom biome. I'd popped in briefly a few times, and this particular time wasn't supposed to be different. At least, until I lost the little cave I came in at and spent the next twenty minutes getting so turned around that at some point I just decided to explore until my Seamoth ran out of power. It's very beautiful down there, but also very scary. I had quite a few close calls with the snakes when I got out of my Seamoth to see if I could find an egg. I really regret not taking the time to explore the biome more completely much sooner but I was busy with trying to do other things. Just when I thought I'd die down there, I found another way up. It was close. A little too close for comfort, but I made it to the surface before the Seamoth died completely.

Everytime I play I find something new and I know I will continue to play this game for quite a long while. Looking forward to the completed package in the future!
  • arnyf86arnyf86 US Join Date: 2016-12-24 Member: 225456Members
    One of my favorite moments in Subnautica would have to be a story following my first close encounter with a reaper leviathan. I had known of them, but in previous plays of the game I'd managed to largely avoid them altogether. This time though, I was feeling cocky, I was heading to the Aurora in just a Seamoth, hoping to get some good items and blueprints.

As I was speeding along, trying to be cautious, looking out for any reapers ahead, I hear that horrible roar...behind me. A chill runs up my spine, and I do my best to speed along through the debris at the back of the Aurora. Just as I think I'm in the clear, my Seamoth is pulled back, and I'm face to face with the reaper leviathan, freaking out, glad I'd had my Seamoth fully repaired beforehand. As soon as I've wiggled free, I speed off as fast as I can toward the climbable wreckage, beaching my Seamoth in the process. Once I get out, I turn around to see the tail of the reaper in the air as it dives, still nearby.
    I proceeded to then explore the Aurora as normal, not thinking much about the trouble I'll have in getting around that leviathan in my Seamoth when I head to leave, but trying to get everything I can so I don't need to come back.

When I finally get out of the Aurora, having scanned and looted the ship thoroughly, even having repaired the reactor leaks, I walk out to find....my Seamoth is gone. Destroyed, apparently, likely because I'd left it partially beached on the wreckage. Then it occurs to me that, if I want to continue without losing any of my goods, I have to swim. And avoid the reaper leviathan, that I could see peaking its tail out of the water once more. That tension, that fear, that planning to try and avoid, it is part of what makes Subnautica great to me. It forces me to think, while not making me immune to feeling. I was genuinely terrified of the reaper, I was genuinely excited when I managed to get past him on the way back. It was wonderful. I love this game.
  • Xxcookid123xXXxcookid123xX USA Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224587Members
    I have a story, it's not too interesting but I'll do my best.

I have a name for the story: The Damaged Progress.
    It started after I constructed my seamoth, I was so excited! Getting the seamoth after never being able to find seaglide fragments, I immediately finished building it very quickly as from all my watches of jacksepticeye's videos, I knew where every item and recipe was in my heart. After seeing those drones build the seamoth, I went right in and started exploring immediately. I dared not to pass the aurora, for I did not want to lose my seamoth. I went on my way to find the Grand Reef; but I did not know what it looked like at all. I ended up in a very deep place, more than 200 meters, which was more than my seamoth could breach. It was a deep grassy plateaus I soon realized. I had found a big crash site, with hardly anything in it. I kept going. But suddenly, the map seemed to... Stop. The screen was showing me that I wasn't going anywhere. I didn't have a signal with me, so I couldn't see if I was actually moving. Suddenly, my pda tells me; there are many leviathan type creatures where I was. I dared to keep going. I turned around to explore, since I seemed to not be moving. Suddenly, out of nowhere, I see a leviathan! Or so I thought. As I got closer, I realized it didn't have any arms. It was a crab snake! I had never seen how powerful they were, as in the start of the game I saw one in the safe shallows, terrified, I swam away. But in this instance, I decided to get a little bit closer. The design was amazing, how it slithered along the ocean. I dared not to get closer, as I may get attacked. But then I realized, it hit me. Didn't those crab snakes only reside in the Jelly Shroom Caves? How did it get to the safe shallows? Perhaps it chased a creature? The nearest Jelly Shroom Caves was very far, as I saw it trying to attack me while I was near my lifepod. I had daydreamed too long, I could hear the screams of the reaper leviathan. I drove back to the Deep Grassy Plateaus, the bare ocean floor was too much for me there. Finding the wreck once more, so I knew I was on the right track. Thinking my cool adventure into the deep was over, I just kept holding down the gas while looking away. Suddenly, a few seconds later, BAM! I hit something. It was a small crash site! It damaged my seamoth only a little, it was very durable. I look inside, and I find a gold mine! There were about 30 fragments in there, no jokes. I had gotten most of the blueprints already, so I happily returned home with a full inventory of titanium, and about still even about 10 fragments left! Putting away the titanium, I decided not to go back to the small crash site as I had plenty of titanium for now. Time passes, I eventually find seaglide fragments in a wreck at the kelp forest. I almost didn't get them, because the entrance was at the bottom side, almost covered completely by ground. I went back and made a seaglide, soon realizing it was a waste. It took too much space, and I had to get a new battery every few minutes of use! Luckily, inside my base I had a battery charger, which I unlocked from that gold mine small crash site. So all my batteries were fine, but I stored away the seaglide and didn't use it again. I had logged off, and went to sleep with my cat, excited to play again tomorrow. One night later, I wake up without even grumbling about being woken up, as my sleep schedule usually includes waking up at 12pm and sleeping at 2-3am. Logged back onto subnautica, ready to explore. I decided it was time; I was brave enough to explore the aurora. I had feared the reaper leviathan, as I knew they spawned at the back and the front of the aurora, from my creative mode exploration of the active lava zone in another save file. I thought they spawned on the sides; too. But I was proven wrong to not find a single leviathan on the sides. I had gotten many fragments there, excited to get in, I went to the back of the aurora, trying to find a way in. Unlucky me didn't know the entrance was at the front, so I wasted time being scared and staying at 0m depth. I eventually found the entrance at the front, hearing the leviathan scream. Horrified, I got onto the ramp that lets you in. I couldn't find a way in for a while, till finding a path and getting behind a wall, to get inside the ship. The ship was surprisingly smaller on the inside, as there wasn't much to explore. I had gotten the prawn fragments, seamoth depth limit upgrade, and lots of PDA downloads. I came back home, excited to make the PRAWN. I got all the materials, went to the wiki to find out what the grand reef looked like, got the aluminum oxide crystals, the spore sacks, the titanium ingots, etc. After finally making the PRAWN, I took advantage of the power to kill my worst enemy; Gasopods and Stalkers. They may not seem very harmful to you, but my lifepod was right above a Gaspod spawning zone and just a few meters from Stalker spawns. I was attacked and hurt by them many times, but I usually escaped. My game was going great, the game was amazing and beautiful. Until, that is, the one horrible day. The day I call, the Damaged Progress. I wake up one morning after making the prawn last night, excited to progress even more. But when I look at my save, my mind starts repeating "no" over and over... My save was damaged. I didn't know why, as I saved normally, not even inside any vehicle. I try to load my save, for minutes... And minutes... until, 1500 seconds. I went to seek for help in the forums. (Also known as the recent thread post by me called Damaged Save File?) No hope was there for my save file. My gameinfo.json was completely empty. After deleting cache files, it was clear that I'd lost everything. Normally when you clear all cache, stuff is just missing and messed up. But mine; I had no items. No base. No PRAWN. No Seamoth. I was sad, I'd lost everything. And that's the sad ending to my, well, preferably, non-favorite story. Thanks for reading.