Subnautica War Thread

subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
It is a period of civil war. Rebel (communist) spaceships (subs and forces), striking from a hidden base (in the lost river) have won their first victory against the galactic empire. Alright, that's enough of that star wars reference!

However, it is a period of civil war. The powers that govern the Subnautican planet have devolved into inevitable hostilities. On one side, the Communists, led by the Greater Communist Shoal Conglomerate. Their forces include the Warpers of the Public Health/Safety party, and (questionably) some members of the Safe Shallows. They fight for communism, and to retake territory they thought was at risk. On the other: The Conglomerate, an alliance of some of the most unlikely allies in the ocean. The Conglomerate consists of the Neo-Luddite party, commprised mainly of crabsquids, and the Republic of Koosh as well as the National Violence Party. The Rebublic of Koosh has traditionally feuded with the NVP, howver they have banded together in an effort against the Communists. This is the scene set for war.

-The Rules- (yes, there are rules, this is a civilized society and we shall have codes of conduct for warfare)
1: NO use of precursor weaponry or devices, other than their intended purposes. For the Array, it cannot be aimed at any biomes, considering its intended purpose was to keep ships out. Portals may be used, but not detonated. Additionally, ion crystals in precursor caches may not be detonated. The reasoning for this is merely that they would end the war in seconds, similarly to mutually assured destruction. Nothing would remain.

2: Now watch and learn, here's the deal: He'll slip and slide on this banana peel!
Have you ever played risk? Because that's how it's going to go down. (If you haven't played risk, see the spoiler at the bottom of this page) On this here map beneath, there are the biomes and borders laid out. Each biome will function as a territory, holding a certain number of "armies" (marked by the icons of each species). As per Risk rules, I will be doing any and all dice rolling (Seeing as I'm functioning as a neutral entity) for each attack. As for turns, each party will get a turn to move/attack. Turns will go in this order: N-LAP, NVP, the Republic of Koosh. Followed by the GCSC, and then PH/SP. In terms of how one gets armies at the start of a turn, it will be 1 army per biome controlled. "biome controlled" just means that one member of your species is in it- biomes that are controlled by members of your alliance without your species in it don't count.

3: Species advantages:
Seeing as each species has distinct traits, I've decided that each one receives a slight advantage during combat.
NVP: Gets to add 3 to any attacking dice role value (because VIOLENCE!) (oh, and reapers count as 3 armies)
GCSC: Gets to add 1/2 the number of armies they have to any attacking dice role value (because strength in numbers, comrades!) <--example: Attacks with 4 armies, gets to add 2 to attacking role value
PH/SP: Get to attack or move 1 biome over from any adjacent biomes (they can teleport through 1 biome when attacking or moving)
N-LAP and R of K: Get to negate 1 unit/army (of choice) from any attacking/defending force (Mesmers have hypnosis, Crabsquids have EMP)
If The Greater Ambush Association takes part: GAA forces get +3 added to their attacking roll when attacking 2 or fewer armies (because ambush!)
UCR = have a 1/10 chance to "happen to have reinforcements" consisting of a snekzilla. If this happens, then they automatically win the engagement.

The War Map
-species/party key-
Biter/Blighter = GCSC
Crabsquid = N-LAP
Reaper/Stalker = NVP (stalker = 1, reaper = 3)
Warper = PH/SP
Crabsnake = UCR
Mesmer = R of K
GAA (if they decide to fight) = sandshark
EPCA (only because it was televised that one of their number had been militarized by the GCSC) = reefback (3 armies)

n27k1qgkoke7.jpg

Regular Risk Rules:

In regular risk, the goal is to take over as many territories as you can. This is the same goal for Subnautican war.
To do that, you have to own territories. You own territories by keeping armies on them. For Subnautican war, the territories are biomes, and the species icons are armies.
Each side has armies. At the beginning of each turn, you get armies based on how many territories you control (for here, one army per biome). You can attack territories that are adjacent to territories you have armies on during your turn
When someone attacks during their turn, they attempt to move their armies onto the occupied territory. The attackers decide how many armies they want to use to invade a territory, to a maximum of 3 armies, and the defenders can defend with a maximum of two armies. the two sides roll dice equal to the number of armies (so in this case 3 for attacking, 2 for defending). Then (it's convoluted) you order the dice from highest to lowest value and match them up- in each pair, whoever has a lower dice value will discard an army. Since this is kind of (a lot) convoluted, here's a picture:
an39bdayichj.png

You can continue attacking until all but one of your armies is defeated- because in order to occupy a territory, you have to have at least 1 army on it. For the defenders, you can defend down to the last man- and if everyone dies then the attackers move in and occupy the territory.

After the attacking portion of your turn, you can move your armies. You can move your armies anywhere within the boundaries of your territories (provided they are adjacent- you can't send reinforcements to a territory surrounded by the enemy).

So, just to be clear, the turns go like this:
1: Get new armies based on the number of biomes you control. Distribute them however you want between your territories (By the way, for each alliance you can move your armies through their biomes, but may not attack with their armies- with the exception of there being no one there to take the turn of a party *cough* *PH/SP* *cough* @Enderguy059 )
2: Attack with armies (can opt out of this)/take territories
3: Move armies

And no, we will not be playing with Risk cards or any of that other nonsense.

Comments

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    With all that said, LET THE GAMES BEGIN! as per turn order, N-LAP can move first. Plan carefully.
    Oh, and I'm so sorry about that dice-rolling example. THE GRAINYNESS! IT BUUURRRNS!
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Announcement: I lied. It's not an announcement. It's actually a question: Do you all trust each other, as people, to play fair? Because I think it would be much easier to just have an outside person roll the dice if/when I can't. I think an even more efficient version of that plan would just be to have whoever attacks roll all the pairs of dice. However, this would rely heavily on the goodness of humanity. Even though it is the holiday season, I don't think I have that much faith in humanity. However, if you all think this is possible, it would streamline the attacking process much further. If you all agree to this, and I begin to see fishy outcomes... well. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that.

What do you say?
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    edited December 2016
    CONGLOMERATE MOVE 1:

1) I get 2 armies and put one in the Grand Reef and another in the Sparse Reef.

2) I'm not going to attack this turn, I'll leave it for a bit.

3) I'm not going to move my armies anywhere; my primary directive is to protect the Conglomerate.

Also after you've made your moves, please do a little bit of roleplay! It'd be a bit bland if it if you didn't, but you don't have to if you don't want to :)

CONGLOMERATE PREPARES FOR WAR:

That's right, we are preparing for war. We are amassing armies within Conglomerate borders and are assuming control of the island above. We have taken steps in the deconstruction of the portal on the surface of the biome, just in case. We have also been in touch with the survivor in the Aurora, and have come to some agreements that I will not discuss or reveal here.

It's time to let this cold war turn a corner; it's time to fight for the oceans.

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited December 2016
    With all that said, LET THE GAMES BEGIN! as per turn order, N-LAP can move first. Plan carefully.
    Oh, and I'm so sorry about that dice-rolling example. THE GRAINYNESS! IT BUUURRRNS!

Ok just to start off, I have never played this game and here are a few things im connfused about.

for my millaterised reefbacks can i switch 1 army with another in their place, and if one of my reefbacks loses an army would it become 2 biter shoals or would it be recorded as being 2/3rds of a reefback.

another thing can reefbacks/reepers defend as the count as 3 units or will they have to be cut up into 3rds aswell

WOOOOOOOOO 200TH POST WOOOOOOOOO
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    >Reapers count as 3 armies

What do Sea Dragons count as
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members

O.P

Ok just to start off, I have never played this game and here are a few things im connfused about.

for my millaterised reefbacks can i switch 1 army with another in their place, and if one of my reefbacks loses an army would it become 2 biter shoals or would it be recorded as being 2/3rds of a reefback.

another thing can reefbacks/reepers defend as the count as 3 units or will they have to be cut up into 3rds aswell

basically, they get cut up into smaller units when they are moved or when an army among them is defeated. They can defend as the maximum number (2 units), if one or more of them gets killed they turn into the smaller units.
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    1) So do I get three new armies or one? Does the Conglomerate count as a biome or is it the individual biomes? If I oly get one I'll put it up in the Blood Kelp, but if I get three I'll distribute them through each of my three biomes.

2) I'm not going to attack this turn, I'll leave it for a bit.

3) I'm not going to move my armies anywhere; my primary directive is to protect the Conglomerate.

Also after you've made your moves, please do a little bit of roleplay! It'd be a bit bland if it if you didn't, but you don't have to if you don't want to :)

CONGLOMERATE PREPARES FOR WAR:

That's right, we are preparing for war. We are amassing armies within Conglomerate borders and are assuming control of the island above. We have taken steps in the deconstruction of the portal on the surface of the biome, just in case. We have also been in touch with the survivor in the Aurora, and have come to some agreements that I will not discuss or reveal here.

It's time to let this cold war turn a corner; it's time to fight for the oceans.

Conglomerate area (sparse reef, Grand reef) counts as 2 biomes- sparse reef and grand reef. Let's just say the floater island is part of the Grand Reef, though the mountain island is a bit tricky. It's controlled by warpers, but the biome surrounding it is controlled by NVP.

we will see if it gets to that :wink:
    edited December 2016
    well seing that the N-LAP landed on freeparking and did nothing.

Il attack Northen Dunes from the greater blood kelp blighters

(since its 3 units do i get 1.5 extra armys, how would that work would the highest i could roll on the 4rth dice be a 3? im not attacking untill i know this btw, i dont want to make a terrible mistake)
    well seing that the N-LAP landed on freeparking and did nothing.

Il attack Northen Dunes from the greater blood kelp blighters

(since its 3 units do i get 1.5 extra armys, how would that work would the highest i could roll on the 4rth dice be a 3? im not attacking untill i know this btw, i dont want to make a terrible mistake)

you get to add 1 extra point to any of your attacking dice rolls, let's round down when it comes to the GCSC special ability. I'll leave it up to you to roll the dice.
    2j8xpmviq82e.gif

Additionally, I think I'm going to make an impromptu risk board and keep track of this irl, posting updated maps when I can. I would suggest you all have some way to keep track of developments.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    edited December 2016
    CONFEDERACY MOVE 1:

1) I add two stalker armies to the Aurora Crash Site. I add two Stalker armies to the North State. I add one Stalker to The Dunes.

2) I send a Reaper from the Aurora Crash Site to liberate the closest Grassy Plateau in Highly Contested Land.

3) I move one Stalker from NVP Outposts to The Dunes

THE DEVORANDUM CONFEDERACY ATTACKS:

Stalkers have joined the cause, most of them retreating into deeper waters to join the Devorandum Confederacy.

Using this newfound advantage, the Confederacy sends a Reaper to liberate the Grassy Plateau near the Aurora Crash Site, in hopes of freeing Sandshark allies in hiding and to put a stab through The Shoal's territorial lines.

o3r2ke4n8kgk.jpg
    A Reaper Leviathan reigns victorious while hundreds of fish are freed from the tyranny of the Shoal

fc7rbuh4vm96.jpg
    Stalkers move into Dune territory to prepare for any attacks from the Shoal by digging trenches
    iv created a room for dice rolls https://rolz.org/ iv pryvet messaged the party leaders the room names
    edited December 2016
    (dice rolls attack)

phantomfinch: [ roll d6 = 3 ]

phantomfinch: [ roll d6 = 1 ]

phantomfinch: [ roll d6 = 6 ]

brian tell me what this mean

(dice roll for defence)

phantomfinch: [ roll d6 = 4 ]

(dice rolls attack)

phantomfinch: [ roll d6 = 3 ]

phantomfinch: [ roll d6 = 1 ]

brian tell me what this mean

(dice roll for defence)

phantomfinch: [ roll d6 = 4 ]

KK here's the deal he'll slip and sli- GOD I have to stop doing that you match up your highest numbers: you rolled 2 6s, he rolled a 6 and a 4, so you kill 1 army b/c 6 > 4 and you lose 1 army b/c 6 = 6 and draws end in favor of defender
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    THE KOOSH REPUBLIC TURN 1 (done so to keep the pace)

1) Place one unit in the Koosh Zone
    2) No units moving
    3) No units attacking
    edited December 2016
    THE COMMUNIST HAVE CLAIMED THE FIRST LIVES OF THE CONFLICT.

The crabsquid commander "Squiddy Mcsquidface" has be slain thanks to the armys of the blood kelp
    but at a lost of the 4th blind battalion led by "Ol pete" he will be missed by the shoal
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Just made a few of these. Hope you like them :)

4xlny3pft9wo.png

1bzbb5mdkbmd.png
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    As everyone is busy with war tactics and all that, and the UCR is probably not participating, how would you all like if I took pictures of your "roleplay" in the actual game like how @ResolutionBlaze did? If so, just put what you want in the pictures in italics, so I can easily identify what is wanted. If not, then I'll probably just do it of my own accord. ;)
    Skope wrote: »
    As everyone is busy with war tactics and all that, and the UCR is probably not participating, how would you all like if I took pictures of your "roleplay" in the actual game like how @ResolutionBlaze did? If so, just put what you want in the pictures in italics, so I can easily identify what is wanted. If not, then I'll probably just do it of my own accord. ;)

Oh. Oh yes. That would be amazing, and I would appreciate it very much.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members

Oh. Oh yes. That would be amazing, and I would appreciate it very much.

I shall get to it then. Screenshot power's activate!
    edited December 2016
    Moved to Grand Reef Gubernatorial election.
    So, vaguely off topic, but where do the Bonesharks, Sea Treaders, Ampeels, and all the Rays fit into this? Are they all considered refugees, or just neutral?

We should keep discussion like this in the General Election thread.
  • CalvinTheDiverCalvinTheDiver A place Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222971Members
    edited December 2016
    How do I join

Well, what party do you want to represent? Alliances?

EDIT:
    Let's see... I think there's the Greater Ambush Association, sandsharks- understandably allied with the NVP. I think there's also the Spadefish, they joined together with the GCSC a while back.

Also, As per the turn system, the N-LAP gets to do the next move.
    edited December 2016
    War Map after the end of turn 1

5o9zzzli576u.jpg
    THE SHOAL'S OFFICIAL PLAN OF ATTACK

edited December 2016
    UHH there seems to be a time fracture in the nrothen dunes by the word dunes

anyways iv already planned my move and if things happen how I plan then I should fracure the boarders even more and "TAKE OVER THE TRISTATE AREA"
    edited December 2016
    xferitbx9ae3.png

IT COSTS SO MUCH MANA

EDIT: unless you can repeat that ability without end, provided enough mana. I take it back. 100% worth it
    xferitbx9ae3.png

IT COSTS SO MUCH MANA

EDIT: unless you can repeat that ability without end, provided enough mana. I take it back. 100% worth it

BUT HE IS NUMBER 1