Subnautica Precursor Update Released - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica Precursor Update Released - Subnautica

A new Subnautica update is available on Steam! Our latest update is chock full of new secrets to unravel. Previously, you may have noticed strange, high-tech cubes – or bases – placed throughout...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ATLAS_MoonATLAS_Moon Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224931Members
    Can't wait to play it. Seems like one of the greater updates, the amount of polish that went into this update looks amazing!
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Two more minutes to complete download. Eager to dive back in!
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Well I know what I'M doing tonight... and at lunch.
  • AzirphaeliAzirphaeli USA Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217144Members
    Did this fix any of the ongoing VR issues (moonpool, cyclops) and did this fix the issue where your save could go bad and then crash after playing for 2 min every time you load it until you delete a few of the folders?
  • ThethunderviperThethunderviper France Join Date: 2016-06-15 Member: 218613Members
    Yaaay I was waiting so much in attempt to play the game after this uptade ! This holydays will be great !
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    HUGE Disappointment!! Yeah all the cool alien gun shit is nice - but the damn Cyclops still has the SAME lame camera-controls it had in September release. AND - going in a few minutes in Creative just to check the Cyclops out it crashed when I quit to the desktop. I have Microsoft Visual Studio installed and enclosed is the crash message:

44a4ex17atvd.jpg
  • ivanrocaivanroca Madrid Join Date: 2016-11-09 Member: 223775Members
    Hey!

The update solved the problems with drop FPS, freezes and crashes of the previous update? The old savegame is compatible? or recommended new game whit new savegame?
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
  • LeoD2LeoD2 Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224996Members
    Very excited for this update! Me and my girlfriend will spend many hours in this over the coming weeks :)

The crashes slow me down, but do not deter me. If it was a fully fledged completed game, it'd probably infuriate me, but we can see regular updates, so we know you are getting to it!

Wishing the developers all the best, I'll be back with feedback once I've spent some time on it
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    harrzack wrote: »
    HUGE Disappointment!! Yeah all the cool alien gun shit is nice - but the damn Cyclops still has the SAME lame camera-controls it had in September release. AND - going in a few minutes in Creative just to check the Cyclops out it crashed when I quit to the desktop. I have Microsoft Visual Studio installed and enclosed is the crash message:

44a4ex17atvd.jpg

Some of us remember when the cyclops didn't have cameras. Or light controls. Or collision detection.

Try to see what is good in the new update and not what isn't done yet. Remember it's EA and they're constantly working on the game, and can only do so much at once.

I've had the quit to desktop crashes before. Rebooting the computer seems to help.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Yaaay, for the update and new stuff to explore.

Booo to the folks bee-itchin' about thingz not yet done in a STILL-BETA-GAME.
    B)
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Has terraforming been removed yet?
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Has terraforming been removed yet?

Nope. Cory Strader has explained yesterday the process they' have to go through on the Steam Forums.

"Terraforming removal is NOT part of this upcoming update.

Much of the groundwork was done in preparation for it, however. Disabling terraforming is easy, it's just 1 line of code. However, a very large refactoring of the base building code had to be done, so that they will work with proper collision detection with the terrain, among many other things. The nice side effects of which have been that many buggy elements of the building code have been fixed up, such as some modules disappearing when others are built. This stage stage of refactoring was the hardest and most time consuming part.

The next stage is underway, to tweak buildable elements placement code in order to raise up minimum height requirement, and that stage is much simpler, and hopefully won't be more then another week or two to work out. Once that is done, and things seem to be working properly, we can remove the terraforming of terrain when bases are built.

However, even at that point, that simply means that we can THEN go in and start work on taking advantage of the new static terrain to help with further optimizations in the game. So, yeah, this is a big ongoing task, and not one that is easy to estimate out, so the roadmap deadlines for it have always been approximations. Such is game development."
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    OH MY GOD! SO COOL! I have been waiting forever:3 The update looks so polished. Cant wait to play.
  • RomaninloveRomaninlove Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 225009Members
    When is the game next to go on sale?!?!?
    I HAVE TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TrueBlackEyeTrueBlackEye USA Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 225011Members
    This update makes my game crash A LOT it has never crashed before, but now its done it twice in 5 minutes
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Terrain seems to load slower (more clipping issues) but much more smoothly - so we're already seeing improvements.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Yeah I had a crash to desktop after (successfully) saving a game and then opting for exit to desktop, with Precursor. Oh well, at least I was able to save my progress first. :smile:
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    So, I have to ask. Is there still a ton of lag when entering a new biome?
  • IxchelAvianIxchelAvian United States Join Date: 2016-12-10 Member: 224798Members
    I know in the past you had to start a new game when an update came out like this. Do we still have to? I just got my base the way I wanted lol
    Also I was waiting for this update and of course it comes out when I'm at work! Dang it Guess I'll have to drool over the pictures for the next....uh, 2 1/2 hours
  • SpacenSpacen Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211427Members
    i hear no sounds from Ocean waves when i standing on the lifepod...
  • chavito34chavito34 spain Join Date: 2016-07-17 Member: 220348Members
    I had never had crash meanwhile I was playing...till now....Now the game is crashing all the time. i realize that there are certain places I can't go because every time I go there it crash. I stop to play subnautica because it's a nonsense
    I know in the past you had to start a new game when an update came out like this. Do we still have to? I just got my base the way I wanted lol
    Also I was waiting for this update and of course it comes out when I'm at work! Dang it Guess I'll have to drool over the pictures for the next....uh, 2 1/2 hours

You should probably still start a new game if you want to experience everything they've put in. I'd imagine the more subtle changes like PDA while in seamoth (YAY!) would carry over, but you might not get all the hot precursor action in an old save.

Also, in case anyone's curious, Lost River brine deals you damage now. I'm guessing it has in experimental for a while, but it's now stable.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    You're not supposed to have to start a new save if you stay in stable, as they have scripts to upgrade your save. But that doesn't always work. Usually a cache cleaning will give it the kick it needs to be fully up-to-date, though (as it has to re-generate the world data, so if it got skipped in the update, it should be fine after).
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Skope wrote: »
    So, I have to ask. Is there still a ton of lag when entering a new biome?

The only way you're going to get an absolute answer for this is to play it for yourself. Everybody's computer is different; different hardware, different software.
  • SkizzamSkizzam Join Date: 2016-12-18 Member: 225110Members
    edited December 2016
    I've been massively enjoying this update. But suddenly, A massive part of the interior, of the precursor base has randomly disappeared. I entered the base and everything was fine, but the second time I came back to the precursor array, Most of the building is missing and inaccessible, I have done absolutely everything I can think of to remedy this problem but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything I can do...anybody have any ideas?

*EDIT* Deleting the cache files seemed to have fixed the issue, Leaving this post incase anybody else has this problem
    I have had several instances since the new patch where the walls and ceilings of various structures (wrecks, the Aurora) are completely or partially not there. So far all I've had to do to remedy is save and quit to menu then reload my game.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited December 2016
    Anybody else find that their PDA screen has gone somewhat opaque while playing?

Never mind, I restarted the game and it's fine now.
    B)