Best way to ensure workshop items are up to date on your server?

TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
NS2+ has modupdater and Shine has Workshop Updater plugin.

Do they do the same thing?

Is one better than the other?

Am I right I should pick one or the other?

Will they both run if I tried?

Is there any reason to run both?

Comments

• KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2016
    You inspired me to investigate this for myself, thanks for that.
    TinCan wrote: »
    Do they do the same thing?
    Yes. Both periodically check the workshop and see if your server has updated mods that will prevent players from joining. Both will periodically display a message in the server if a mod needs updating. Both will automatically change the map if a mod needs updating and the server is empty. Both allow you to customize the mod check interval and in-server notification interval. Only Shine allows instead to force a mapvote when a mod is outdated, either immediately or at the end of the round.
    Is one better than the other?
    I've had them configured wrong this whole time (again, thank you), so in practice I'm not sure. But from what they claim to do I would prefer Shine's because of its customization options. EDIT: Actually Shine's version turns itself off if you have a backup server, and I don't see how to turn it on. So if you have a backup server, use NS2+.
    Am I right I should pick one or the other?
    Probably yes. I think probably you will get in-server notifications from each, which might be annoying. If you disable one of those, though, it shouldn't matter, especially because...
    Will they both run if I tried?
    NS2+'s version will disable its change-map part if it detects the Shine plugin.
    Is there any reason to run both?
    I don't see one, unless you're dumb like me and mess up configs :^)

EDIT: Info taken from Shine wiki and NS2+ GitHub. Note that the Shine plugin disables itself if you have a backup server, which I forgot to mention.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    The BEST thing to do is to use the vanilla workshop backup server, which acts as another location to download mods.
    Last I used it, the shine plugin disabled its updater function, as the workshop backup server is superior in all behavior.