What do you think about a Subnautica sequel?

SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
Now, don't go clicking that disagree button just yet. Let me explain. I realize that Subnautica isn't even fully released, so any kind of sequel will most likely come in a couple years. But with all these questions about adding new content to Subnautica, I thought maybe these could be realized in a sequel. Such as the Lilypad biome, the Phantom Leviathan, and the ever important Rock Puncher along with many other concept creatures didn't make the cut. These things are unlikely making 1.0, but I could see them making it in for a game in a different part of Subnautica's ocean, a place beyond the void of Subnautica. But that's just my thoughts.

Comments

• IcremunIcremun Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222276Members
    It has been mention before but I always envisioned it to be on another planet.
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Honestly, I just want my "promised" stuff in one game. Why would I want a sequel based on material the original game still needs to be a rounded experience?

They never promised that..... it's just ideas they had.....this isn't No Man's Sky
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited December 2016
    NerdyEric wrote: »
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Honestly, I just want my "promised" stuff in one game. Why would I want a sequel based on material the original game still needs to be a rounded experience?

They never promised that..... it's just ideas they had.....this isn't No Man's Sky

I put "promised" between quotation marks. Obvs it's not promised in the literal sense of the word, but it's def more than "just ideas" by now.

For the record, it's not a money issue. I've already said a handful of times that if UWE needs/wants more money, they can have it because 20 bucks is well below what I consider this game worth. I just want stuff that's meant to be together to be together.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    "Why are we even discussing this" as in, 'of course!', or as in, 'why would anyone want that?'
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2016
    DUDE!

STAAAHP!

First let's get this puppy released first mon :trollface:

On a more serious note, I don't want to see subnautica go into space. This should be contained to a cute little area like we have right now, much nicer to create a story and that isolation is also part of why it works.

What I do want to see for Sub2, if the tech is finally available... Is procedural and or random generation, while still being able to provide the level of detail we have now with the handcrafted world. Would also be "easier" 39.gif to add content and replayability... And of course, 3D voxel based world, you could go the Terraria route, by having to upgrade your tools using tiers (ie: pickaxe) to be able to access certain areas or resources.

But, can it be different enough from what we have now and as such, an improvement? Cause that would also be a requirement if it is to be a true sequel instead of a "oh hey water world again with bigger-worldNmore-stuffs"
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I'd rather the content be released in DLC form tbh. I have no idea if that makes a mess of things if you end up having multiples of them, but I'd rather them come sooner rather than later and use the world and assets that already exist than having to start an entirely new map. With the quality of the game as is, and its fantastic cost to playtime ratio, I'd trust UWE with doing DLC right and I can't say that for many developers.

That said, if UWE decided to do a sub2 project you can count me in for the kickstarter/alpha/prerelease/stuffs.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    I agree with @Ralij, I think more content in subnautica would be WONDERFUL, seeing what the devs have done with the content we have already. However, I think it would be really great with DLC, so it could merely add onto the game instead of requiring the resources of an entirely new title. I also think another viable option would be to continuously update the game after release.

One last thing I really like is the idea of procedural generation- I highly agree with @Kouji_San, and it reminds me of this thread, where the potential of that idea was heavily discussed and some really nifty solutions were proposed.
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    how bout a multiplayer prequel play as the degasi survivors?
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Were the Phantom Leviathan and Lily Pad biomes officially cut?
  • MottSpottMottSpott Spa-aaace!! Join Date: 2016-11-02 Member: 223615Members
    I mentioned this when they stated that co-op wouldn't be in the works: Having Subnautica 2 be "we come back and colonize this world" would be interesting. Maybe have less focus be on survival and more on building. AND they could bring back the theme of 'Our Impact on The Environment' that they seemed to be courting back when you could over fish an area and kill the ecosystem.

But I also think it's wise to wait 'til the game comes out before we get too lost in daydreams. As fun as daydreams are. :)
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    MottSpott wrote: »
    I mentioned this when they stated that co-op wouldn't be in the works: Having Subnautica 2 be "we come back and colonize this world" would be interesting. Maybe have less focus be on survival and more on building.

Or it could be after a Colonization effort goes dark and you have to find out what happened to the rest of the Alterra Team

So it'd be like now but with more exploring abandoned bases and facilities.

Or it could be about establishing a colony in an area outside of the Quarantine Zone (The Subnautica 1 Map) and battling against the Natives, Avatar style.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Why are we even talking about this?
    I hate the talk of DLC, never mind a second game. If people are talking about DLC before a game's even released, I get worried. It's all backwards and just plain wrong.

If they have ideas, they should put them in 1.0. We can wait.
  • MottSpottMottSpott Spa-aaace!! Join Date: 2016-11-02 Member: 223615Members
    If people are talking about DLC before a game's even released, I get worried. It's all backwards and just plain wrong.

Can't speak for everyone, but my daydreams are less about the game lacking something and just that I've fallen in love with Subnautica's world. I want to see more of it than would really make sense for a story about a lone survivor trying to get home.

But I get what you're saying!

• TribeofoneTribeofone Eagle River Alaska Join Date: 2015-08-22 Member: 207365Members
    I would like a co-op or Multiplayer before a subnautica sequel.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited December 2016
    Were the Phantom Leviathan and Lily Pad biomes officially cut?

There's still a good chance they're going to be in the game, but only a future update after v1.0.
    Why are we even talking about this?
    I hate the talk of DLC, never mind a second game. If people are talking about DLC before a game's even released, I get worried. It's all backwards and just plain wrong.

While there are some things from the concept art that I would really like to see v1.0, I'd be fine with having DLC after release. Rember that just because it's DLC doesn't mean it has to cost money.
  • SackboyNiekSackboyNiek Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224467Members
    Skope wrote: »
    What do you think about a Subnautica sequel?

Yes, just so we can have multiplayer.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    So to alleviate all questions about why I created this thread, my original thought process was that "There is so much content that could be drained from what the devs have said, and the giant list of concept art. However, not all of them fit into the world, or would be too much work to implement. How about giving the devs a much deserved rest after 1.0 releases, then in 3-5 years later, they get to work again." Personally, I think that it's a pretty good idea, were they to actually think about making a sequel.

But hey, that's just a theory

7ple9gwc7oew.jpg
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    That's how game development (or any development) works though. You throw a whole bunch of random ideas at the wall and see what sticks, then work on those, then cut some of them because they didn't work as well or you run out of time or budget. There's always things left out, and often it's better that way.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited December 2016
    If it actually doesn't flop financially and devs want to they can just release xpacks. They aren't greedy enough for the dlc scam... but you never know. There is plenty of ways to continue the story after leaving 4546B... including coming back to study advanced alien technology.

I would like to know how they are doing financially and emotinally on the subject tho. Investing yourself into things that aren't going to happen is... well... it is disappointing for starters.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited December 2016
    My dream would just be to get to a Fully Functional v1.0

Then, I'd start thinkin' about "wishes".
    B)
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    If there is a Subnautica 2, then it will be on a different planet or have a different protagonist. If the devs want a specific feature or creature like the Rock Puncher after the game launches, then there is no point in waiting for the sequel when it can be added to the current game.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    Dude wtf, subnautica isn't even close to being a finished game, and they're gonna keep updating it presumable for years after it is actually officially released. A "Subnautica 2" is so many years in the future that it's not even worth thinking about.
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    maybe a subnautica sequel would be nice maybe even prequels? play as degasi survivors maybe a rescue team who came to see the planet after you escape at the ending of subnautica and the precursors who capture your team are there and enslave them and its your job to rescue the team and beat the crap out of the precursors but it would be more of a bad horror game where you can just stay away from that area then escape again (subnautica is all about escaping eascaping the planet ,reapers AAANNNNNDDD now im rambling again
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Subnautica: Alterra Exploits
    It's a single player pseudo mmo where you get dropped off at a procedurally generated part of the Subnautica planet and tasked with exploiting the resources. Every day there is a delivery collection and your proceeds and mail orders are processed. Prices vary depending on the amounts generated by other players and awards are given out for today's most prosperous. You have to balance the risks of delving deeper for more rare resources, the limited capacity of the launch devices and using found resources for expanding your endeavor.
  • slasher222slasher222 Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224512Members
    edited December 2016
    God dammit this game is not even finished and you allready want to do another? Just finish this until it's best first!
    If we want this game to be the best, we have to focus on this first. Then think of anything else.
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    Better engine. Unity is not good; leave it for mobile, start-ups and amateurs.
    Unreal Engine is better in every way.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited December 2016
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    Better engine. Unity is not good; leave it for mobile, start-ups and amateurs.
    Unreal Engine is better in every way.

If they do that I want an original Subnautica port to the new engine. Will pay extra.

2uz5hcg.jpg