Ideas to help new players

BlameTheGamerBlameTheGamer Canada Join Date: 2016-11-30 Member: 224393Members
I understand that a survival game should be hard. The main thing I like about Subnautica is that people need to explore to succeed. However I think the beginning of the game could be more... streamlined. By that I mean the beginning of the game should be stupid proof. Instead of showing them limestone deposits tell them that limestone deposits are where you acquire almost all your resources. Also make the basic tech you need for the early game very apparent. I was almost at the end game before I finally found the seaglide. It was buried in the sand so I couldn't find it. I think maybe the beginning of the game should be more streamlined. That's not to say I don't like the game. I love the game! I've barely ran into any bugs either which is rare for an early access game! Also, maybe the beginning tutorial should teach you to catch fish and that Bladderfish give water. These are just a few ideas. Just giving my opinion!

Comments

• kubazet99kubazet99 Czech Republic Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221450Members
    Who knew,maybe on list of Devs before/after 1.0
  • SeaBuddySeaBuddy Join Date: 2016-09-22 Member: 222511Members
    edited December 2016
    I wholeheartedly agree. Since exploration is so important, they should also maybe increase battery life on everything. Maybe even decrease oxygen reduction. Adding more battery life and oxygen will give the player a lot more freedom to find imperative fragments and items.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I understand that a survival game should be hard. The main thing I like about Subnautica is that people need to explore to succeed. However I think the beginning of the game could be more... streamlined. By that I mean the beginning of the game should be stupid proof. Instead of showing them limestone deposits tell them that limestone deposits are where you acquire almost all your resources. Also make the basic tech you need for the early game very apparent. I was almost at the end game before I finally found the seaglide. It was buried in the sand so I couldn't find it. I think maybe the beginning of the game should be more streamlined. That's not to say I don't like the game. I love the game! I've barely ran into any bugs either which is rare for an early access game! Also, maybe the beginning tutorial should teach you to catch fish and that Bladderfish give water. These are just a few ideas. Just giving my opinion!

There's others saying the exact opposite; that the game is too easy. Sounds like devs have a balance in the middle for now. Who knows, maybe after 1.0 they'll have differing difficulties within each gameplay type?
  • BlameTheGamerBlameTheGamer Canada Join Date: 2016-11-30 Member: 224393Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

There's others saying the exact opposite; that the game is too easy. Sounds like devs have a balance in the middle for now. Who knows, maybe after 1.0 they'll have differing difficulties within each gameplay type?

What I meant is the very beginning of the game could be a bit more noob friendly. More like a RPG esque difficulty curve. Once you have basic everything the "real" game kicks in a la Diablo. Teach you all you need to know instead of drop you in with little to no information and leave you to your ingenuity. Some people don't make the connection of "I got this resource from limestone deposits, maybe I'll get other things from it too" and other things. Just the very beginning of the game.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I'm sure the devs are aware of the all-at-once problem at the start of the game (people less polite than you are vocal over on Steam) and thinking of ways to amend that, but they're still in the process of finetuning the game's identity and stuff keeps getting moved or changed. I recall there even were plans to lock nearly all recipes at the start; don't know if that's still a go, but if so I imagine that'll have to be out of the way before a proper starter "guide" can be made.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    The lifepod should have a basic resource scanner, to accompany the fabricator. It's a reasonable enough synergy: scanner finds the stuff, the survivor grabs it, brings it back, and the fabricator uses it to make survival gear and rations. If you were going to design an ACTUAL escape capsule, that's pretty high on the list of needed stuff. And the locker should be packed with survival rations and bags of water, since an escape pod might land on a barren planet.

As far as actuality, maybe the pod was being worked on, so the locker is empty? Backstory could easily explain an under-equipped pod.

A far as gameplay, a fairly open world usually needs pathfinding of some sort, unless every resource can be found in most locations. And fragments in wrecks doesn't really fit that criteria. (Minecraft ore distribution DOES fit that criteria, for contrast).

So nudging a player along until they have a base, then using the base to make a Cyclops, then using the Cyclops to scan the rest seems the most obvious progression line to me. Pod gets you basic safe-shallows resources, base gets you wreck locations, Cyclops gets you mobility and pinpointing, plus the meat of the plot.
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    The lifepod should have a basic resource scanner, to accompany the fabricator. It's a reasonable enough synergy: scanner finds the stuff, the survivor grabs it, brings it back, and the fabricator uses it to make survival gear and rations. If you were going to design an ACTUAL escape capsule, that's pretty high on the list of needed stuff. And the locker should be packed with survival rations and bags of water, since an escape pod might land on a barren planet.

For gameplay purposes, the locker should not be filled up so to leave the player storage room. The current supply covers most of early game, but a scanner and a battery or two would be logical and worthwhile additions.
    DrownedOut wrote: »

For gameplay purposes, the locker should not be filled up so to leave the player storage room. The current supply covers most of early game, but a scanner and a battery or two would be logical and worthwhile additions.

I think that the storage box should be more obvious. Look at most youtubers videos and they either stumbled across it by accident or their comments told them.

I think that the storage box should be more obvious. Look at most youtubers videos and they either stumbled across it by accident or their comments told them.

Yep. Pretty sure I saw that issue in one of the Trello cards, so that'll likely be taken care of before V1.0 too.

Yep. Pretty sure I saw that issue in one of the Trello cards, so that'll likely be taken care of before V1.0 too.

Thanks for the info!