Can you think of any features that could be removed?

Comments

• TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    edited November 2016
    Mouse wrote: »
    ...think of any features that don't really need to be there?
    Maybe they:
    • are awkward to use
    • just don't get used much
    Arcade tab
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Nordic wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »
    I think the purpose here is to remove features that contribute to bloat, especially useless abilities like stab.
    Which is exactly why I made my post. Supposedly being bloat is not enough justification to remove something.

Unnecessarily contributing to bloat is a good reason for removal. And most of the things you listed I would not consider bloat.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2016
    The old axe animation was amazing
    The position of the "Play Now" button should be second in the list...still click "Play now" instead of server browser... ;)
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    The position of the "Play Now" button should be second in the list...still click "Play now" instead of server browser... ;)

Yeah what's up with the axe animation? It's pretty dumb now, no offense. The old one was way better
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Yeah what's up with the axe animation? It's pretty dumb now, no offense. The old one was way better

I'm not sure why it was changed, but it was the only reason I still played NS2 was messing around with the axe.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Nobody mentioning cysts?

Cysts
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nah, cysts are cool. They're an excellent noob trap
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Bicsum wrote: »
    Nobody mentioning cysts?

Cysts

Why cysts?
    They're an aspect of controlling the spread of infestation; which in turn controls where the aliens can build. So they serve a clear purpose at the very least.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    There has been a small group that has been asking for cysts and powernodes to be removed for a long time. Removing infestation could improve performance is one reason to remove them. Infestation is also a defining feature of NS2.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Terrible idea keep cysts
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2016
    Nobody mentioning cysts?

Cysts

Why cysts?
    They're an aspect of controlling the spread of infestation; which in turn controls where the aliens can build. So they serve a clear purpose at the very least.

We were promised something more amazing though, then cysts game along to solve the inherent game performance and play issues :tongue:
    What arguments for is there beside improved performance tho?
    I just find it kind of contradictory competititve players asking for this considering their record of going mad over the smallest balance change
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    There has been a small group that has been asking for cysts and powernodes to be removed for a long time. Removing infestation could improve performance is one reason to remove them. Infestation is also a defining feature of NS2.

I'd be fine with removing both cysts and powernodes but I'd like the infestation to stay as both as an artistic feature and alien room control indicator.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2016
    I just find it kind of contradictory competititve players asking for this considering their record of going mad over the smallest balance change

Giving new players a visual hint as to what to attack by providing a shiny orange bubbly bubble (the newbie trap :D ). Instead of the original idea, where only the flamer and grenades could damage and removed the actual infestation.

And by having a visual representation on the map for Khamanders/players alike, also to spread infestation using bubbly bubbles instead of random mouse gestures to coax said "dynamic" infestation into a direction you want. I do miss George's minicysts though!
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter

There is a difference between good and bad balance and gameplay changes.

There is a difference between good and bad balance and gameplay changes.

Yea for dumbing down its top tier gud
    Fuck it, don't remove anything
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited December 2016
    Nobody mentioning cysts?

Cysts

Why cysts?

OR the aliens may build anywhere and the infestation grows towards structures automatically.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the purpose here is to remove features that contribute to bloat, especially useless abilities like stab.
    Which is exactly why I made my post. Supposedly being bloat is not enough justification to remove something.

Unnecessarily contributing to bloat is a good reason for removal. And most of the things you listed I would not consider bloat.

As easily as one could argue they are bloat, another could argue they are not. It goes both ways.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nobody mentioning cysts?

Cysts

Why cysts?

OR the aliens may build anywhere and the infestation grows towards structures automatically.

what was that again about cysts not dying in their own being a huge problem because could theoretically build stuff in marine territory?
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2016
    Nobody mentioning cysts?

Cysts

Why cysts?

what was that again about cysts not dying in their own being a huge problem because could theoretically build stuff in marine territory?

We had that already... Not dieing cysts is a terrible middleway that combines the Bad things of both worlds. Removing cysts would be great for the game, but you would need to change a whole lot for it to work.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited December 2016

As easily as one could argue they are bloat, another could argue they are not. It goes both ways.

Yes, I can also argue that the color yellow is yellow and another may argue that it is green.

That is why we have this thread, to find ways to improve the game through discussion.
  • OlioOlio Join Date: 2010-12-17 Member: 75738Members
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members

Yes, I can also argue that the color yellow is yellow and another may argue that it is green.

That is why we have this thread, to find ways to improve the game through discussion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress
    Clearly it is white and gold.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited December 2016
    Another gameplay feature that would add a whole lot of depth to marine is if when you reload your SMG before emptying the magazine completely you throw away unused rounds.
    It's not for realism tho, it's about pressing the R key being more a conscious choice with advantages and tradeoffs and less automatic.

Ideally, i love the suggestion.
    But realistically, that would only cause 80% percent of players to run out of ammo in 30 seconds, whine for the com, and destroy the eco by wasting ammo
    And considering rookies, it's an outright terrible idea.

The only thing I can think of that ought to be removed is a useless ability is stab.
    I'd love to see a stat about how many games it is researched in (corrected only for those games where the required biomass level is reached) :D

EDIT:
    But as a general rule, ANY ability, however useless it may seem in general, can grant you a tiny edge that will allow you to survive...
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @RevanCorana @.trixX. Right, basically that wouldn't really change the decision making of marines, it would just add more busywork for commanders.
    Remember I suggested this in the context of having different ammo types and ammo that costs pres.

And for stab, I dont think it needs to be removed, it is quite an interesting upgrade that in theory has a clear purpose: make fades deadlier.
    So instead of removing they should fix it. One good way is to make it more intuitive to use for example by removing the need to swap weapons so if you keep left click pressed the swipe starts to charge and turn into a heavy attack the longer you wait the harder it hit.
    I already suggested this a while ago here.

To add on that not being able to blink is a sensible tradeoff but not being able to jump means losing all momentum so its never worth it for a fade, definitely remove that if you want to see anyone using it at higher skill levels.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited December 2016
    I agree that it should be kept and improved, fades need a late-game upgrade too (I consider adv meta (late)mid-game, I dont know where you guys put it)
    Those two suggestions would definitely make it more useful, hold-to-charge attack is intuitive, but being able to jump could make it OP for really good fades...
    Maybe the energy requirement could be increased, so they cant blink immediately afterwards, only use their previously built up momentum to hit&run.