vulkan

natostanconatostanco Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81912Members
edited November 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
did not find much talk about it through the search so, for whatever is worth and for how much unfeasible it is...
つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF VULKAN ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

pros:
- opengl sucks with amd cards :( and on linux you can only use opengl
- dx9/11/ogl...why not vulkan? mexicangirlmeme.jpg
- would lift some overhead by the gameplay lua code which i guess is still st or whatever
- vulkan games are cool, they get free press

cons:
- uh..time, money...i guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Those cons are exactly why it's not happening.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2016
    It has been discussed on the forums a fair bit over the years. Basically it comes down to that UWE does not have a software engineer available for that stuff, and the opportunity cost of time.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    In order to get Vulkan working in NS2, we'd need to steal Max away from Subnautica for a huge amount of time and... that's just not happening.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    In order to get Vulkan working in NS2, we'd need to steal Max away from Subnautica for a huge amount of time and... that's just not happening.

Are they lowlevel modding Unity or what?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2016

Would be nice though, if there was anyone that could give NS2's spark engine the needed tech push it would be the guy who created it.

Model translucency, real time reflections, physics based particle system, and MSAA are just some of the things that would greatly improve the look of the game.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited November 2016

Would be nice though, if there was anyone that could give NS2's spark engine the needed tech push it would be the guy who created it.

Model translucency, real time reflections, physics based particle system, and MSAA are just some of the things that would greatly improve the look of the game.

That would be for Spark 2.0 with Future Perfect

On that matter, any ball-park estimate as to when FP development will resume?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    coolitic wrote: »

Nobody knows. :(
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2016
    coolitic wrote: »

Isn't going to happen while UWE still makes that sweet subnautica money.

All the respect to UWE but NS is my main interest and until I feel like I got enough of a return from the time, money, and interest spent supporting NS2 and NS2 alone then I'm abstaining from purchasing any other product of theirs.

Of course I know I sound entitled and I am well aware that the main reason they can fund their renewed interest in NS2 is purely based off the extra income generated by subnautica, but if I don't feel like NS2 was ever finished then how can I justify spending money on their other projects?