New marines items for new stealth gameplay

ReduncaRedunca Belgium Join Date: 2014-06-22 Member: 196724Members
Hello, I got this idea and somebody asked me to put it here.

Sometimes, the lack of stealth capabilities for marines makes me sad, so I got some ideas to fix this :

- Silencer for pistol (must be unlocked, buy at the prototype lab)
Shooting with pistol make no noise and doesn't reveal you on the map
- Stealth suit (must be unlocked, buy at the prototype lab)
No sound when walking (running still make a sound) + parasite immunity
- Night vision googles (must be unlocked, buy at the prototype lab)
Replace the flash light by a night vision (similar to aliens)

The idea is that, when the balance of the game just goes for the aliens, marines may escape their assaulted base to take aliens from behind.
To compensate, Aliens may unlock new passive abilities from their commander

- Smell sense (passive, skulks)
Show marines at close range
- Nervous system (infestation)
infestation detect marines walking on it, the cyst propagating the infection react to the closeness of the closest marine on it (the reaction fade with the distance, I tough of make the cyst emit some lights)

Thank you for reading all of this !

Comments

• WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Not sure what exactly pistol silencer would add.

Stealth suit would be massively OP for the pro marines and not much of an upgrade for weak marines thereby increasing the skill gap in the community, probably to an untenable level.

NVG is a terrible idea because it would almost completely eliminated the already very very very weak res biting capabilities of skulks late game - not that it's hard to spot skulks in the late game anyway.

The way arms lab passive upgrades work at the moment means that any marine comeback potential purely lies in the PvP lifeform fragging abilities of the team. Adding these alternative upgrades is simply not going to help comeback mechanics and only serve to eliminate alien comeback mechanics.

Smell sense is basically short range aura... why?

Infestation used to previously detect marines moving on it on the khammander screen via a dark ink splodge. It was a terrible mechanic because it was a free unavoidable detection method for aliens.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Wob wrote: »
    would be massively OP for the pro marines and not much of an upgrade for weak marines thereby increasing the skill gap in the community, probably to an untenable level.

^every ns2 balance change ever

But yeah, as Wob said, that smell would basically be aura and the infestation thing didn't work out in the past. Other than that there is no real need for marine stealth play - other than hiding behind a corner with a shotgun. Any advantage gained from stealth is quickly eliminated by alien mobility and how they just constantly travel through the map everywhere.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    I think they should just add a walk button if you want marines to play more sneaky.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Deck_ wrote: »
    I think they should just add a walk button if you want marines to play more sneaky.

Did anyone use it? You already have crouching.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow

I did all the time in NS1, it's nice to be able to walk silently and not have to duckwalk everywhere if you want to sneak around.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    hold shift to walk mode, shift + input keys to run?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    The problem is that marines lack the movement capabilities and compatible map design that would make this effective.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited November 2016

I would assume most players aren't going to sneak around everywhere by crouching. I think if you add a walk button, it's really easy to tell you're not making noise quickly and that it can be useful. The issue is, not really great to have a walk and a sprint button. Would be better to get rid of sprint and add a walk button imo.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited November 2016
    While the ideas may sound interesting, marines don't need stealth ups.. even as of now (on pub servers) i can easily sneak past alien packs more often than not
    Aliens are extremely mobile, so as soon as you engage an enemy your cover is blown for good. Also, the game has to have an asymmetric ability tree: granting stealth tech for marines reminds of shade hive

I do hope we get the ability to walk by pressing shift. Ducking kind of serves that purpose, but your model is bigger vertically that way because your knees stick out, so you get spotted around corners earlier...
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Why not just add a short-period cloak that would turn you nearly invisible for say... 5-10 secs.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Because multiplayer games must be balanced by pure mathematical models for them to be enjoyable.
    NS2 is asymmetrical, you can't just introduce a feature for one team without rigorously checking for all the possible ways it will skew balance.

For eg. a 5s cloak would allow 3 marines with shotguns to rush and obliterate a hive, without breaking sweat. You can't just throw in abilities which can't be countered. Even if you provide a countermeasure, you create a cascading effect where you keep balancing for the sake of balance.
    The tech-tree of NS2 is pretty much written in stone now, there can be minor changes but nothing like your idea.