Are Eggs Too Simplistic?

ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
Eggs do not represent what creatures do in real life... while I do not care as much for realism, I feel this would add much more to the game in terms of complexity if each animal had its own defense for their eggs.

What do you think? Should eggs be more thought out in terms of placement and species?

Comments

• ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    edited November 2016
    The poll is a little unecessary in hindsight but we have it so...

Anyway, I propose the following changes to eggs of the most common creatures in Subnautica.

Gaspods: Thier eggs are layed in the open, but once a creature approaches it it secretes the same acid adults use. To avoid this, you must pick it up quickly after its first acid cloud fades.

Stalkers: They lay their eggs in their territory, in little nests made by metal salvage, usually hidden in deeper parts of Creepvine Forests. Stalkers are very territorial during the day, the ideal time would be to wait until night when Stalkers are hunting to retrieve the eggs.

Sandsharks: They have two methods of laying eggs. At night the Sandsharks tend to leave their eggs in the open to attract Biters, then consume them once they get close. During the day the females push sand on top of the egg to bury it while they hunt other prey.

Biters: They breed like most earth fish do: lots of eggs. Biters hide clumps of tiny eggs in seagrass on the Grassy Plataues. Ruffling through the grass will cause the eggs to fly up in to the air. Biters breed in large numbers and with many eggs, but only once a month (Subnautica time). Sandsharks are typically the most active and aggressive at this time, to protect their eggs from Biters.

Bleeders: They lay their eggs in other animals. Once a female attaches themselves to a victim, they lay various microscopic eggs which hatch and then are released through any orifices they can scurry out from. The babies are not much larger than the eggs so many creatures may not notice that the babies are released except through minor bleeding in some orifices.

Crash: Once a Crash explodes, it sends it's seed. They then grow the capsule with the baby Crash inside. The capsule is like a womb that the Crash never leaves until released when a predator or unknown creature is nearby. They are similar to a weed in this sense. The baby capsule is easily removable and can be planted elsewhere.

Reaper Leviathan: Reapers give birth rather than lay eggs.

Peepers: They lay eggs in clumps, thus they lay them inside coral tubes or caves alongside other prey in that area.

Bladderfish: They lay their eggs in the open. They are clear for the most part and often mistaken for bubbles. Thus they plant their eggs nearby areas with lots of bubbles to confuse potential predators.

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Kinda wish I could change my vote, so ignore the "Don't care" vote and see it as a "Yes, some changes could be nice" one.

I think it was said that Stalkers guard their eggs viciously, but I don't really see that reflected in the game (yet). Having them get doubly aggressive if you near an egg would be nice, perhaps dropping what they're doing to chase you off.

Don't think there's any Bleeder eggs? Not sure why you'd want one either :wink:
  • DragonMaster54DragonMaster54 United States of America Join Date: 2016-11-02 Member: 223612Members
    edited November 2016
    Me personally i think the eggs should be hidden, i mean if the mother of these eggs left them out in the wild they would be eaten by predators or taken by us, or maybe the dev's have future plans for the eggs that we don't know about yet.
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    I don't "need" any changes, except tweaks of spawning rate and things like that. It is enough for the game IMO. You find an egg, you hatch it. I would prefer devs to concentrate on other issues.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    ShuryCZ wrote: »
    I don't "need" any changes, except tweaks of spawning rate and things like that. It is enough for the game IMO. You find an egg, you hatch it. I would prefer devs to concentrate on other issues.

It's true that there are more pressing issues than this, but this will be good just to let the devs know what players want.
  • DragonMaster54DragonMaster54 United States of America Join Date: 2016-11-02 Member: 223612Members

It's true that there are more pressing issues than this, but this will be good just to let the devs know what players want.

I agree mabye these things can be added after V.1
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2016
    1689310_Red_sw?wid=18&hei=18Yes, they need to be hidden, numerous, or protected in some way

Eggs over easy anyone?

Also changed my mind :tongue:
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members

Well I say this because I think eggs should be the starting point of implimenting predator behavior, which can give eggs a challenge to collect and more fun, and can give a starting point for creature behavior.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited November 2016
    It doesn't need to be Ark-level difficulty where incubating eggs is concerned (As in, spending potentially dozens of hours carefully watching the egg and feeding the infant) but maybe the alien containment aquarium could be planted with flora native to that creature's biome to speed it along? For example, a stalker would hatch quicker if the aquarium contained creepvine & peepers or maybe it would become "friendly" to you when released. I'm just spouting half-baked ideas here.

I'd like to see the eggs placed in areas that made more sense though. I agree wholeheartedly with ResolutionBlaze.
    I know that many sea animals have little to no parental instincts (Shark pups are born as full-fledged hunters and have to swim for cover as soon as they're born lest their mother or other predators devour them) but it'd be nice to see some sort of defensive reaction from some creatures if they catch you thieving their eggs.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited November 2016
    These "Yes/No" polls always irk me. Put more thought into poll options or don't use a poll at all. We have the "Agree, Disagree, and Awesome" buttons for basic "I like this" voting, and people can express their agreement or opinion in the form of a reply. We don't need a third layer.

Now on to the actual topic, the vast majority of animals, especially fish and sharks, lay their eggs then leave, giving 0 f@$ks about what happens to them. Hell most sharks care so little that they'd even eat their own babies if they swam in front of them. Currently, the behavior of creatures not guarding their eggs is accurate.

Only thing I'd change is having them spawn in a nest, or partially buried in sand, or in clusters of multiple eggs. A bit hard to believe every creature is a single-egg laying species.

I'd also like to be able to cook and eat eggs, for a delicious breakfast.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I have seen multiple bird nests and all of them were hard to spot and guarded.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Live-Birth leviathans?!?
    But I wanna have baby leviathans in my alien containment!!!
    edited November 2016
    These "Yes/No" polls always irk me. Put more thought into poll options or don't use a poll at all. We have the "Agree, Disagree, and Awesome" buttons for basic "I like this" voting, and people can express their agreement or opinion in the form of a reply. We don't need a third layer.

I do what I want. How about that?

You select a poll answer... You state why you chose the poll... then people can proceed to agree or disagree with your answer. Not a hard concept really.

#mysassisreal
    Live-Birth leviathans?!?

They'd probably die of starvation or just the lack of space to move about. I'd estimate that a new born Leviathan would be the size of a PRAWN suit laying on its back. The small size is so that Reapers can still hunt whilst pregnant, so the baby simply slithers right out and is ready to go.

Honestly a little terrifying, because it would show how relentless Reapers are, so relentless that nature literally allows them to hunt until they are full.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    edited November 2016

Agreed! Though I voted in this poll I often don't as so many are meaningless and serve no real purpose. I'd rather see a poll that has some real relevance to the gameplay.
    Myrm wrote: »

Agreed! Though I voted in this poll I often don't as so many are meaningless and serve no real purpose. I'd rather see a poll that has some real relevance to the gameplay.

God forbid I want to calculate how many people agree or disagree on a broad level!
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Yes God forbid indeed :D
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I didn't vote as the poll options don't fit my opinion. I find them quite often in the early game but never pick them up as they have little use or value. They can be used for Bioreactor fuel, but you can't build it until you get the Seamoth. They can be grown in the Alien Containment, but you need the Exosuit to even build the AC to begin with; and fish raised in the AC can't be used at all for food or fuel.

What I propose instead is that the Eggs we find can be processed into a food substance for the early game. Maybe have them become poached eggs, or part of a recipe for something akin to the Nutrient Block but not nearly as much food value. As much as I like fish for food, relying solely on fish makes for an imbalanced nutritional lifestyle. Having another food source makes more sense and gives the early game more use for these items.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    edited November 2016
    Live-Birth leviathans?!?

They'd probably die of starvation or just the lack of space to move about. I'd estimate that a new born Leviathan would be the size of a PRAWN suit laying on its back. The small size is so that Reapers can still hunt whilst pregnant, so the baby simply slithers right out and is ready to go.

Honestly a little terrifying, because it would show how relentless Reapers are, so relentless that nature literally allows them to hunt until they are full.

Size of a prawn? So how come the devs are planning to add baby Sea Dragons which can fit in an AC AND cook fish for you, while being larger than the Reaper at full size?

Whenever I see Reapers in the dunes, they always seem to be swimming over particular "Monuments", like these:
    7ccdgdi194og.jpg
    b1mqcinbdp8j.jpg
    1u7tiwdpbp12.jpg

Perhaps these could become nesting sites where the mothers guard the eggs?
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    Size of a prawn? So how come the devs are planning to add baby Sea Dragons which can fit in an AC AND cook fish for you, while being larger than the Reaper at full size?
    There are currently no plans to add baby Sea Dragons.

• dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »

There was some talk about it though, on Trello I believe. The idea was to have it have eggs and when you hatched them in an AC, it would then be able to cook whatever fish was inside with it.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited November 2016
    Morph_Guy wrote: »

There was some talk about it though, on Trello I believe. The idea was to have it have eggs and when you hatched them in an AC, it would then be able to cook whatever fish was inside with it.

I haven't heard any news about it for a while though, so I think it might have been scrapped.
    I don't think having baby leviathan are a good idea... I think the fact that they can't be contained or you can't breed them makes them scarier. Almost a feeling of no control over them.