Are the creatures too aggressive?

2»

Comments

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    ... Any creature would know instincitvely that leaving offspring alone is stupid and is a great way to cause your species to go extinct.

eggs, if left alone, should be in VERY well hidden nests or have mothers nearby or a defense mechenism...

You need to brush up on your knowledge of animal life on Earth ;) There are many many creatures that lay eggs and then leave them and the resultant young to fend for themselves. The sea turtle springs to my mind immediately. The mother comes ashore, digs a hole and lays eggs. She covers them up and then goes on her way. When the eggs hatch the baby turtles frantically scamper to the sea and then they are left to find for themselves.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I'd like fewer predators but with smarter AI, making them inherently more dangerous individually.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2016
    Myrm wrote: »
    ... Any creature would know instinctively that leaving offspring alone is stupid and is a great way to cause your species to go extinct.

eggs, if left alone, should be in VERY well hidden nests or have mothers nearby or a defense mechanism...

You need to brush up on your knowledge of animal life on Earth ;) There are many, many creatures that lay eggs and then leave them and the resultant young to fend for themselves. The sea turtle springs to my mind immediately. The mother comes ashore, digs a hole and lays eggs. She covers them up and then goes on her way. When the eggs hatch the baby turtles frantically scamper to the sea and then they are left to find for themselves.

Salmon Parents dig a ditch..., lay the eggs..., fertilize them and then die.

The world of the sea is rife with many offspring being left to fend for themselves.
    There are also instances where the Male parent tends the young (Seahorses), so there's no "one way" that's right or wrong or dominant over another.
    B)
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    Poll is crappy. A simple slider or dip switch could fix this problem for everybody, not that it would stop people from setting the game to easy/casual and still complaining that said game is 2eZ.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    edited October 2016
    @Myrm & @DaveyNY

I think the original point about egg guarding still stands in this case- seeing as many animals in Subnautica lay eggs seldom and far apart. With not that many eggs, and with many eggs not camouflaged too well, I think it would be natural for these creatures to practice (at least partial) parenthood.

Some notable exceptions to this are probably the jellyray/boneshark- because I feel like I cannot go 3 feet in the koosh zone or Mushroom forest without finding one of these. Another exception is probably the stalker as well- I could see those eggs being disguised as a fallen creepvine seed or possibly a lump in the creepvine's trunk.

EDIT: I would actually like to see some variation in creature parental styles, I think it would add to the way players have to interact with the environment and add more flavor to the animals.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    How about a compromise: make nightfall a reason to be extremely cautions, besides not being able to see.

Right now, since everything wants to eat you anyways, it's just the inability to see as well that makes a big difference.

What if, in the daytime, a lot of predators (esp. Stalkers and sneak up and nab type predators) kept their distance, maybe following for a bit, and then, once night time hit, stealthily closed to attack (maybe even calling in some of their buddies first for a shared banquet!).
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    The aggression is perfectly fine. Once you get the PRAWN most things don't even take a second glance at you. A quick smack to the face sends anything else swimming for the underwater hills.

However, I'd like to see the Warper's ability to teleport players out of vehicles removed. Besides not making much sense, the ability is simply a nuisance, and a cheesy way to introduce difficulty. I'd rather see the Warper Focus more on teleporting the entier vehicle into dangerous circumstances. Perhaps the Warper can have an effect upon power systems.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Heh, Warper teleports power cells to Precursor base. xD
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    edited November 2016
    ... Any creature would know instincitvely that leaving offspring alone is stupid and is a great way to cause your species to go extinct.

eggs, if left alone, should be in VERY well hidden nests or have mothers nearby or a defense mechenism...

You need to brush up on your knowledge of animal life on Earth ;) There are many many creatures that lay eggs and then leave them and the resultant young to fend for themselves. The sea turtle springs to my mind immediately. The mother comes ashore, digs a hole and lays eggs. She covers them up and then goes on her way. When the eggs hatch the baby turtles frantically scamper to the sea and then they are left to find for themselves.

Key word COVERS UP. Actually puts effort into protecting them via hiding them.

You need to brush up on your arguments. Because arguments mean nothing if you agree what what I say, and based on what you said you do.

There are multiple methods of breeding and protecting young or reproducing. They all have different methods but until you can point me to ONE ANIMAL that is not extinct that lays eggs out in the open with nothing to make up for it, then this argument is null.

I mean, yeah there are animals that lay hundreds of eggs in the open water but they have numbers on their side to make up for it. Eggs here aren't protected, hidden, or numerous. Any other animal would be extinct.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    To be honest it really only seems like they're too aggressive because the encounter rate ratio of Passive to Aggressive creatures is astronomically imbalanced.

Aggressive creatures are in your face and messing with your day a lot more than say, Rabbit Rays, so you notice them a lot more than you do the passive ones.

I'd say lowering the number of hostile creatures, apart from special ones like the Sea Dragon and Reaper Leviathans around the Aurora, and greatly increasing the number of passive creatures, would do a lot to make the game feel more natural and less like a shark feeding frenzy 24/7.

And we still need a hell of a lot more creatures to spice things up between biomes.
    I mean, sure, recolors like the Lava Boomerang are fine, but the latest creature we got is yet another hostile sea monster in the form of the River Lurker.

I want some gosh dang Space Otters to play with.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I think that SN is a bit too aggressive. It could definitely be dialed down.
    edited November 2016
    ...but until you can point me to ONE ANIMAL that is not extinct that lays eggs out in the open with nothing to make up for it, then this argument is null.

Frogs.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    ...but until you can point me to ONE ANIMAL that is not extinct that lays eggs out in the open with nothing to make up for it, then this argument is null.

Frogs.

Large numbers (a) and hiding mechanisms like the surinam toad's (b)
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited November 2016

You need to brush up on your arguments. Because arguments mean nothing if you agree what what I say, and based on what you said you do.

There are multiple methods of breeding and protecting young or reproducing. They all have different methods but until you can point me to ONE ANIMAL that is not extinct that lays eggs out in the open with nothing to make up for it, then this argument is null.

I mean, yeah there are animals that lay hundreds of eggs in the open water but they have numbers on their side to make up for it. Eggs here aren't protected, hidden, or numerous. Any other animal would be extinct.

Sharks...

Most sharks and skates lay strangely shaped eggs sometimes called a ‘mermaid’s purse.’ These consist of an egg case in a thin capsule made of collagen. They often are square or rectangular with stringy or pointy corner horns, but can come in a variety of odd shapes. A few sharks, such as the Port Jackson shark, have helical egg cases which are secured into the sand like drill bits. Shark eggs can wash up on the beach and are often hand-sized, although the largest recorded was over 2m long.

Female sharks lay fertilized eggs onto the sea floor where they stay until they hatch, not needing any more attention from their mother. Some shark eggs contain several baby sharks which cannibalize each other before hatching to ensure that only the strongest baby survives.

Most of the eggs found in the game have a very hard outer shell that most likely protects them from any kind of predatory destruction.
    Some of them actually have barbs that would tend to discourage anything attempting to eat/swallow them.

Also, in the shallows, most of the eggs are round and tend to drift quickly down to the lowest levels, which is probably another defensive tactic for survival.
    "Outta sight, outta mind"
    B)
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Chickens. Not always, but sometimes, they will just leave their eggs around. Of course, without humans domestic chickens would probably go extinct pretty quickly, so that may not count. Unless you consider being useful to humans a survival strategy. Of course, in the case of chickens it's an artificially created adaptation.
  • WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
    I don't find them too aggressive. The only issue I have is that predators ar too obvious. THey will ALWAYS charge you if you're near. I would very much prefer not knowing if they would attack or not. Let's say they should be aggressive for a period of time, then be peaceful. Of course, the fun part is you never know...
    DaveyNY wrote: »

Sharks...

Most sharks and skates lay strangely shaped eggs sometimes called a ‘mermaid’s purse.’ These consist of an egg case in a thin capsule made of collagen. They often are square or rectangular with stringy or pointy corner horns, but can come in a variety of odd shapes. A few sharks, such as the Port Jackson shark, have helical egg cases which are secured into the sand like drill bits. Shark eggs can wash up on the beach and are often hand-sized, although the largest recorded was over 2m long.

Female sharks lay fertilized eggs onto the sea floor where they stay until they hatch, not needing any more attention from their mother. Some shark eggs contain several baby sharks which cannibalize each other before hatching to ensure that only the strongest baby survives.

Most of the eggs found in the game have a very hard outer shell that most likely protects them from any kind of predatory destruction.
    Some of them actually have barbs that would tend to discourage anything attempting to eat/swallow them.

Also, in the shallows, most of the eggs are round and tend to drift quickly down to the lowest levels, which is probably another defensive tactic for survival.
    "Outta sight, outta mind"
    B)

Still, though, a little bit more diversity might be a cool feature. What you're saying works very well for sandsharks- which have spines all over their eggs- and rabbitrays, who have very small eggs. Jellyrays have large numbers of eggs (and purportedly toxic flesh) to make up for their squishy eggs, and bonesharks have hardened cases over their eggs. However, eggs like the gasopods' or ampeels' offer a unique opportunity for an interesting game mechanic- for example, the ampeel's egg has electic nodes covering it, it might be cool if the egg was capable of a low-level shock as a defense mechanism.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members

Frogs.

Or it just ingests them until they're ready to hatch.

Frogs.

Or it just ingests them until they're ready to hatch.
    220uj6vuwnl2.png

unfortunately, this is no longer a reality (to the best of my knowledge). Although, with the help of de-extinction, it could become reality again! Crossed fingers!