Temporary fix for recent crashes [build 40062]

ChillingSoulChillingSoul Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223533Members
edited October 2016 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
I've experienced the mentioned recent crashes and stutter since the latest update as well, even with a fresh new game, latest drivers, 16 GB RAM, i7, GTX970 etc etc.

It seems to me, the persistent state of the world get glitched over time and what helped me so far, is to clear the world state.
It resets the flora, fauna, resources and so on, however you keep all your items, base, ships.

To do so, backup your savegame folder and then delete "CellsCache" and "CompiledOctreesCache" folders in your savegame slot folder.
It entirley removes the stutter and crashes from my game until the world state get corrupted or whatever.

Hope the current crashes are just a minor issue for the devs and get fixed quickly.

Comments

• AzirphaeliAzirphaeli USA Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217144Members
    Cool, I'll try this when i get home.
  • elanuvselanuvs Join Date: 2016-10-29 Member: 223458Members
    Yes! This fixed my problems. Another user suggested something similar, to make a new savegame and replace the cache files in the old savegame folder with them. Curiously, that did NOT work. Seems like it should do the same thing though?

Anyway, cheers! Gonna go build my cyclops now
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Interesting. I wonder why replacing them wouldn't work. Regardless, if the game auto-generates cache folders that don't exist, then deleting them would be much easier than making a new save etc etc like I was suggesting. Thanks, @ChillingSoul !
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Where are the Subnautica file folders, for some reason I can't seem to find them?
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    edited October 2016
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Where are the Subnautica file folders, for some reason I can't seem to find them?

Go to your Steam/Steamapps/common/Subnautica/SNAppData/SavedGames folder

In this folder you'll find folders named slot0000, slot 0001 etc, each pertaining to a seperate save.

Inside each folder you'll find CellCache folder and other saved game content.

Given each save is around 1.4-5+ gigs in size I can see why they chose to locate them in the Subnautica directory rather than the windows documents folder given most people don't want that kind of sized save files on their C: directory. (Since many of us use a smaller partition or SSD for their Windows install and would rather not have several gigs eaten up with one games save files.)

Also given the saves are gigs in size each backing them up can be rather space intensive, so instead I'd suggest making a back up of CellsCache folder (only a couple hundred mb in size.) if you feel backing it up is really necessary for some reason.
    AFAIK, your saved game is in the files gameinfo.json, global-objects.bin, scene-objects.bin, and screenshot.jpg located in the \slot000x directory

I'm not sure what the batch-objects-??-??-??.txt files in there are, but they might be your inventory, or maybe your bases, someone can test this by backing them up & deleting (I'll try later on probably today or tomorrow if no one else does).

The cache folders can be deleted, and they will regenerate, but your terrain will be reset (huge boost in performance, but expect dirt inside your bases, which can be fixed by deconstructing / reconstructing (be sure to take off solar panels, lockers, ladders, etc first).
  • YohaskanYohaskan Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222961Members
    I confirm
    Work for me, instant defreeze with delete "CellsCache" and "CompiledOctreesCache" folders
  • monthigosmonthigos Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223526Members
    My game still stutters a lot when it's loading in chunks, but so far no crashes. I noticed a string of pipes I laid out was gone, but no problem with my base since it's high enough off the ground that it doesn't use any terraforming. There seems to be a lot less sand sharks and stalkers but I wasn't really looking as I drove by. They were out of control before. Also that "CompiledOctreesCache" folder was 2.3 gigs. :s
  • IshmayelIshmayel France Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223547Members
    Thx it did fix my crashes too, maybe you should work for that company :) , you brought answer and solution that they can't figured out themself. i think their problems comes from the too much pop up creature after a while. Bravo for the solution :)
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Dropping in to give thanks. Most of my game was working relatively fine, but I'd obtained a few no-go zones that would give me a lot of stuttering and a guaranteed crash (Grand Reef around wreck #1 & wreck at LP17). Now I can get there again. Very happy to continue my game.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    While the fix works, it rebuilds a lot of the landscape. So you suddenly have stuff clipping into your base again, quite massively.
    So its not really a solution, sadly.
  • IshmayelIshmayel France Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223547Members
    as long as it works until they fix this that's cool
  • AzirphaeliAzirphaeli USA Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217144Members
    Confirmed this did the trick, giving the heads up to the devs. Thankfully my base wasn't underground.
    While the fix works, it rebuilds a lot of the landscape. So you suddenly have stuff clipping into your base again, quite massively.
    So its not really a solution, sadly.

Deconstruct / reconstruct affect parts of base, starting with lockers / solar panels attached to those parts.

Also, let's all pause for a moment of silence for XB1 players who can't access their saved game data to delete those folders...
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Silveressa wrote: »
    DaveyNY wrote: »

Go to your Steam/Steamapps/common/Subnautica/SNAppData/SavedGames folder

In this folder you'll find folders named slot0000, slot 0001 etc, each pertaining to a seperate save.

Inside each folder you'll find CellCache folder and other saved game content.

Given each save is around 1.4-5+ gigs in size I can see why they chose to locate them in the Subnautica directory rather than the windows documents folder given most people don't want that kind of sized save files on their C: directory. (Since many of us use a smaller partition or SSD for their Windows install and would rather not have several gigs eaten up with one games save files.)

Also given the saves are gigs in size each backing them up can be rather space intensive, so instead I'd suggest making a back up of CellsCache folder (only a couple hundred mb in size.) if you feel backing it up is really necessary for some reason.

Thank you.
    B)
  • ChillingSoulChillingSoul Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223533Members
    What worries me most is the lack of acknowledgement from unknownworlds.. is there anybody fixing this issue?
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    What worries me most is the lack of acknowledgement from unknownworlds.. is there anybody fixing this issue?

They know, they just have trouble figuring out the cause. Don't forget it's only been a day after the weekend.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    SO all do our parts and send them links to your saved games and dmp files. :)
  • ClovilahClovilah turn around Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223583Members
    Thank you so much for the help OP, I finally made it back to my base. It still stutters a little here and there but at least it doesn't crash. <3
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    SO all do our parts and send them links to your saved games and dmp files. :)

My save game is a tad over 5 gigs in size, where exactly am I supposed to upload this for them to use?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We're looking into this issue. If deleting the files works for you, use it as a work-around for now. However bear in mind, you might have unforeseen consequence due to the game world having to be rebuilt.
  • ChillingSoulChillingSoul Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223533Members
    Thanks for the update!
    1a) If you're going to send the devs your save game folder, at least compress it - install 7-zip, then right-click the folder, and choose 7-zip > add to slot000x.7z (If you can't be arsed to install 7-zip, at least normal zip it, right-click > Send To > Compressed (zipped) folder but keep in mind, you won't get as good compression, eg, my 1.5 GB compresses down to a 300 MB .7z, but only down to a 475MB .zip)
    1b) Upload to Google Drive, Dropbox, or similar, and e-mail the devs the link (for Google Drive, at least, you log in, right click the file, and click "get shareable link"
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    This fix worked for me. I have had a few glitches because of it - for example I went to where the 3rd Degasi base is supposed to be and it wasn't there, but I was able to make it appear by saving and reloading.
  • HarryMHarryM UK Join Date: 2016-11-02 Member: 223602Members
    Fix worked for me, thanks.
    I actually emailed support last night asking for this thread to be stickied/investigated.

Prior to this I had tried changing gpu drivers, moving Subnautica to ssd, destroying seamoth, moving base, sticking items in lockers then destroying lockers and switching from experimental to stable builds. None of these fixes worked yet a new game was smooth (and crash free) even on high settings.

On inspection my system was hitching, low fps low cpu and gpu utilisation - It felt at first like a texture or memory issue as low fps, lag then crash occurred mainly in blood kelp areas whilst loading them.

If you're crashing in a similar fashion then try this for now.

• ClovilahClovilah turn around Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223583Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're looking into this issue. If deleting the files works for you, use it as a work-around for now. However bear in mind, you might have unforeseen consequence due to the game world having to be rebuilt.

But if I didn't do this, I'd have to delete my game every time and start over again and again, etc. I am prepared to delete my saves with big updates and such, that honestly doesn't bother me as I am very used to E.D. type games.
  • amitagamesamitagames Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223649Members
    i had three crashes in a row when i found energetic gun in creative mode hope in next update will be fixed how i can send crash logs ?
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited November 2016
    Obraxis wrote: »

I was having a miserable time with my game stuttering and crashing, issues I'd not had before the October update even with my current system. The problem originally occurred when I tried to locate the Grand Reef wreck; I finally found where it was supposed to be but the actual model was gone... the various fragments and PRAWN arm were floating in mid-water. Saving, exiting and reloading the save restored the wreck but it somehow was duplicated five times; when I cut into the Sealed Doors I had to cut through each door five times (and burned up a battery for each door). After that point the game performance eventually devolved into the issues I had posted about before.

I tried the solution OP posted and it of course worked! The game became playable again and I had pre-October system performance once more. However as @Obraxis mentioned upon reloading all the terrain was restored to original order, meaning that parts of my base built near a cliff had rocks/dirts suddenly appearing in the room; but deconstructing and rebuilding the base pieces re-terraformed the proper changes again. One other minor issue was a hallway connecting a Moonpool to a MP Room lost collision, so I would fall through the floor and walk around on the Grand Reef in "on land" mode; but deconstructing/rebuilding the Moonpool also fixed it.

Bottom line is, if your game is having performance issues suddenly, try the OP solution for deleting the folders. It does make a difference and even rebuilding or relocating parts of your base is usually preferable than having to start completely over again. But huge thanks to the dev team for all your hard work, it's much appreciated! :)
  • YohaskanYohaskan Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222961Members
    I have use 2 time this tips. it's works for freeze, but not fix my crash issues.
    (when you are too close of 2 biomes)
  • MadTropicMadTropic Join Date: 2016-10-29 Member: 223465Members
    So far, so good. An added bonus of deleting the cache is a replenishment of local resources. My home shallows are once again littered with quartz, scrap metal, limestone deposits, etc...