How do I find places in game without going to You Tube or the forum?

harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
I've been trying to play the game in Survival, as "cleanly" as possible using only what is available in the game. Early on I did have to break down and go outside the game to get help figuring out how to get Moonpool plans, and what "crashes" were, and how to find them.

It seems there is no real way in the game itself to find out that there are cool places to visit or explore. The navigation aids we are given leave us to only to wander around randomly and hope we stumble across something great. I've got about 150 hrs in the game, and still have not come across the "Lost River" any of the other places loudly touted in the update info.

Of course I can go to You Tube to the forum and get coordinates - but how are you supposed to find this stuff using only info and tools provided in the game? Sheesh - I was wandering in the the Void, and didn't even know until I happened to bring up the debug console! I was dutifully exploring, thinking "any minute now something awesome will appear" - only to discover I was in LaLa Land!

Comments

• TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    You missed my point - I KNOW I can go on the web and find info - I'm looking for the how the GAME is supposed to let us know where stuff is. As it stands, if you DON'T go outside the game - you could spend a lifetime wandering around at random and never find anything of value. Seems like there should be something in the game that sort of "hints" or guides you to discover stuff....
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    You get hints from transmissions and PDAs where some stuff is. I'd guess they add more of these later in development with the story getting implemented in its final form.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    You don't. Part of the game being in Early Access means stuff still gets moved around and directions to get to them or hints they even exist aren't yet established. And as much as I love leaving my Seamoth at 200m or 300m and dive that last part to get to the goodies, it is true that if you don't know you are are supposed to go passed your vehicle's limits, if you don't know what kind of stuff lies in wait for you, you aren't all that likely to figure it out. More so with those warpers being a bother past 200m nowadays.

Playing the game cleanly at this point is possible, but it requires patience and determination beyond what a game normally asks.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2016
    I'd assume what with exploration being one of the biggest points of the game. And after a while you'd learn the map and recognize stuff. You're bound to know where to go for certain stuff after a while.

Besides as @DrownedOut said, stuff still moves around as part of early access :)

stuff is a word used too many times, I do apologise xD
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited November 2016
    Finding out for yourself is one of the main appeals of the game for a lot of people. We don't want to have our hands held, or be told where things are, thus removing the experience of finding out for ourselves.

You're basically asking for continuing and persistent spoilers, and spoilers suck all the life and fun from a game. PDA alerts about a vague, general direction to go and check out are fine, but anything more is just obnoxious and patronising to the player. Leave me alone to find out myself.

Even the stupid "Break stone" and "Cut vine with knife" pop-ups are extremely irritating. What else was I going to do with this knife I just crafted, scratch my arse?
    And "Swim to surface" when your air is low? Oh really, that's very informative.
  • VoilodionVoilodion Join Date: 2016-10-18 Member: 223230Members
    As DrownedOut said, currently you don't. I am less confident, however, in the implication that this is just because the game isn't finished and that sufficient clues, signals, or (God forbid) in-game maps will eventually be provided. Hopefully they will, because I completely agree that right now a player could wander the map for many many hours and never stumble across the specific wrecks that contain the particular blueprint fragments he or she needs next.

Having to tab out to the internet for basic maps which would be part of the survivor's technological capability (several in-game items already display topography), as well as the locations of many very specific items, is very immersion-breaking. If the game goes to 1.0 in this current state it will be very much the worse off for it.
  • QelsarQelsar Lansdowne, MD Join Date: 2016-05-09 Member: 216536Members
    So I did the same thing @harrzack . Early on I wanted to just do it myself. I have over 240 hours in the game and just love exploring the small things. I started out over a year ago, so I do have a bit of an edge. I picked up the Seamoth and then after I found the "Island" and was able to have a sustainable food/water source, I just lept in the Moth and drove around. It took me a bit to find the Moonpool, but I made a few powercells to tide me over until I did. Yes materials were a pain to come by, but I did a ton of exploring and knew where to find what I needed. I would say that BEACONS really help. I placed them everywhere. I marked places that I combed over thoroughly and also ones that I knew I hadn't done so well. I'd go back to those places and would find unfinished areas. When updates would come out I would revisit those places to see if they had been changed. I don't want to provide any spoilers but the places that I checked back had been updated. Sometimes it was a LARGE update, sometimes just small things. Pretty soon I knew the lay of the land and most likely what areas would lead to where. The Jellyshroom cave for instance........ cool area, but most likely not going to have any added areas attached to it(Maybe in the future it will have something). The large deep areas were ones that I checked back on more often than the other ones. Everytime a big update comes out I redo my save and hustle to get my gear/vehicles setup. I do my rounds to see what was changed and what wasn't. I was a bit confused when they took a lot of the fragments out from around the biomes and placed them in wrecks, BUT....... wrecks were the last place I looked. So to be fair, I just had to keep digging. So in short. BEACONS = AWESOME ......... TIME DRIVING AROUND EXPLORING = DISCOVERY. Hope that helps mate!
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited November 2016
    Here. Save this (one or more of the maps), put it in your screenshots folder, and it will always be there on your PDA. I used to have maps by all exits to my base so I could give it a glance if I need to before I leave (if I really couldn't be bothered searching for ages and wanted to go and get a specific mineral) though at this point I don't need it any more, it does makesa nice, realistic picture to go on the wall. Just pretend the Aurora had already mapped the planet before the crash so you have access to these maps. I'm pretty sure mapping will be in the full release, and if it isn't, it should be, but until then here you go.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Mapping_Subnautica?file=Subnautica_map2.png

You're basically asking for continuing and persistent spoilers, and spoilers suck all the life and fun from a game. PDA alerts about a vague, general direction to go and check out are fine, but anything more is just obnoxious and patronising to the player. Leave me alone to find out myself.
    Who here is asking for continuing and persistent spoilers? Got a quote from anyone in this thread who has said anything remotely close to that? No, you don't, because nobody has. Try responding to what people actually say.

There's a balance to be struck between being overloaded with alerts and hints which take the challenge out, and getting virtually no information on what is even attainable, much less where to go to get it. Both extremes are bad for the game, and both currently exist in the game. As you mentioned, we don't need the "hit this rock" alerts. But by the same token, a new player who relies only on in-game information has only the tiniest chance of upgrading their fins or O2 tanks in any reasonable amount of time because the game gives zero information on the fact that a modification station can even be made which will do that, much less where to find the very few and specific wrecks which hold its blueprints. So they're left with wandering aimlessly at no deeper than 200m (since the Moonpool is equally well hidden) for as many hours as it takes to randomly pass over the dark canyon where they might happen to look down and see the vague flicker of wreckage another 100m below, where, if they whimsically brought a laser cutter, a rebreather, a seaglide, and 3 O2 tanks, they can find a Modification Station fragment and eventually build it to see what it does.

So yes, some kind of in-game map which can be combined with radio messages to show a "large wreckage worth exploring somewhere here" circle would be just the thing to strike that balance, and I don't think anyone in this discussion was asking for more than that level of information.

edited November 2016
    Voilodion wrote: »
    Who here is asking for continuing and persistent spoilers? Got a quote from anyone in this thread who has said anything remotely close to that?

This guy is. And here's the quote.
    harrzack wrote: »
    I'm looking for the how the GAME is supposed to let us know where stuff is. As it stands, if you DON'T go outside the game - you could spend a lifetime wandering around at random and never find anything of value. Seems like there should be something in the game that sort of "hints" or guides you to discover stuff....

To me, that would be massive spoilers. As well as being completely wrong. As the game stands, the alerts leading you towards places give you great rewards. Lifepods, the island, the Aurora. This guy claims you wouldn't even be able to build fins without being told, but as soon as you see a creep vine, aren't you trying to pick the yellow pods out of curiosity? Then the craft menu isn't greyed out because you can build fins from rubber, and so on.
    The craft menu itself has TONNES of stuff right there for you to make, and it includes the recipes for EVERYTHING you need to start making stuff. The only guidance really needed is the craft menu, and as long as you don't somehow overlook the fabricator I don't see how you could miss it.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be in game however. I'm saying if it is in game, it needs to be in a natural way, not just obnoxious pop-ups or more PDA "Go here for the next interesting thing, now go here, next here" because that just feels like checking chores off a list. As I already said, the PDA alerts are okay, but what they should do is lead you towards building a facility or device that allows you to start mapping and scanning for resources. This should be the function of the scanner room (as it's currently worse than useless) and once you've got it up and running it should reveal a map like on the wiki. As long as it's balanced and not overpowered, that's acceptable, believable and satisfactory.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    I just want to say how much I like the ambiguous beacon signals that you get, akin to the downed lifepod coordinates. The ones that say "Large organic mass" or something like that, for example. I found that those were ambiguous enough to allow for discovery of new things, but still mysterious and compelling enough to make me strive to discover them. I think we could do with a few more of these in the game. Say, for example, a "Large Organic Mass" marking the gigantic skeleton in the lost river- seeing as a few people have trouble getting down there.
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    I feel like the devs are expecting us to do it old school like Lewis and Clark or Hernan DeSoto or Magellan. Technologically speaking in-game, your survival PDA has short-range sensors. There's no GPS satellites, and the PDA has little to no prior knowledge of this planet.

You sortof have to learn your way around by memory, or by getting out actual pen and paper and drawing a map. Your player character has consitent movement speeds, as do the vehicles. You could draw up a map using in-game compass to make a grid, and measure distances in seconds travelled. If you wanted to be more hardcore about it, you could measure the time it takes to to cover the distance to one of the distance-displaying signal markers, and convert that to your movment speed, thus giving you distance measurements to other landmarks. Once you've plotted the major landmarks, you could then fill in the biome boundaries, and then swim a regular waffle-pattern search grid to fill in the interiors of the biomes.

Within the cave systems, you can follow a maze-running strategy of always keeping to one wall and only turning one direction to map out boundaries. You can also drop markers to identify where you've been before. Laying a planter bed and planting a creepvine seed is a popular choice around here.

All of this sounds labor-intensive, and it is, but it adds to the challenge, and I have often wanted an auto-map function because I too find myself swimming in circles and unable to find my way to where I want to go, but I don't think the devs want to make it easier.
    Voilodion wrote: »
    Who here is asking for continuing and persistent spoilers? Got a quote from anyone in this thread who has said anything remotely close to that?

This guy is. And here's the quote.
    harrzack wrote: »
    I'm looking for the how the GAME is supposed to let us know where stuff is. As it stands, if you DON'T go outside the game - you could spend a lifetime wandering around at random and never find anything of value. Seems like there should be something in the game that sort of "hints" or guides you to discover stuff....

To me, that would be massive spoilers. As well as being completely wrong. As the game stands, the alerts leading you towards places give you great rewards. Lifepods, the island, the Aurora. This guy claims you wouldn't even be able to build fins without being told, but as soon as you see a creep vine, aren't you trying to pick the yellow pods out of curiosity? Then the craft menu isn't greyed out because you can build fins from rubber, and so on.
    The craft menu itself has TONNES of stuff right there for you to make, and it includes the recipes for EVERYTHING you need to start making stuff. The only guidance really needed is the craft menu, and as long as you don't somehow overlook the fabricator I don't see how you could miss it.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be in game however. I'm saying if it is in game, it needs to be in a natural way, not just obnoxious pop-ups or more PDA "Go here for the next interesting thing, now go here, next here" because that just feels like checking chores off a list. As I already said, the PDA alerts are okay, but what they should do is lead you towards building a facility or device that allows you to start mapping and scanning for resources. This should be the function of the scanner room (as it's currently worse than useless) and once you've got it up and running it should reveal a map like on the wiki. As long as it's balanced and not overpowered, that's acceptable, believable and satisfactory.

So...you feel that "something in the game that sort of hints or guides you" is equivalent to "continuing and persistent spoilers" or "massive spoilers", in your words. Sorry, those phrases don't mean the same thing. And harrzack said nothing about fins, only the Moonpool and crashfish powder. I mentioned the fins upgrade, which you don't find any clue about until you see it in the Modification Station UI.

I think you and I are on the same page as far as how informative and immersive clues ought to be. I agree completely, for example, with what you said about the Scanner Room. It's just that for too many things in the game currently, the in-game clues to even their very existence in the game world add up to zero, and I think you're exaggerating how much more information others here are asking for.
    You're correct, and I do apologise for jumping the gun. It's just that this is not the first thread of this kind, every now and then we get these discussions where people really do seem to want their hands held and it's kind of tiring to go over the same points arguing against too much "tutorial" content.

But you're also right when you say "something in the game that sort of hints or guides you" (without it being an actual mechanic, like the scanner room for example) is, in my opinion, a spoiler and should be avoided. I do consider the beacons leading you to places spoilers too, but acceptable spoilers, within the setting and mechanics of the game. I know I'm a minority, but I'd be happy with absolutely no guidance what-so-ever, because I love finding things for myself, even if it takes hours. If I've played for 150 hours and I'm still stumbling into things I didn't know, I'm happy, and not many games have that factor any more.

This applies even more so if it's not your first play through. I would fully support an option from the new game menu to select exactly what help you desire. First play through, turn on hints and beacons. After that, I already know where these places are, so I'd like to be able to turn them off for some added navigational difficulty. Of course, I don't have to use the beacons anyway, so I suppose it doesn't really matter as self-imposed rules are something I'm always willing to go for.

I still stand by the craft menu giving you 90% of things you need right off the bat, though. As soon as you stumble upon the upgrade station fragments for example, you're curious as to what exactly can be upgraded, and as soon as you build one you'll see you can upgrade the fins. I think that's acceptable as it is, without any clues other than finding the fragment on your own. I don't see any need for the game to somehow tell us "You could find the fragments and then upgrade things" as that, I'm afraid, would definitely fit into the category of "massive spoiler."
    edited November 2016
    You're correct, and I do apologise for jumping the gun.
    Accepted. Spoken like a gentleman, as the saying goes.
    But you're also right when you say "something in the game that sort of hints or guides you" (without it being an actual mechanic, like the scanner room for example) is, in my opinion, a spoiler and should be avoided. I do consider the beacons leading you to places spoilers too, but acceptable spoilers, within the setting and mechanics of the game. I know I'm a minority, but I'd be happy with absolutely no guidance what-so-ever, because I love finding things for myself, even if it takes hours. If I've played for 150 hours and I'm still stumbling into things I didn't know, I'm happy, and not many games have that factor any more.
    It sounds like "something in the game that sort of hints or guides you" triggered "alert box or pop-up" in your mind. I'd agree that those are intrusive, but I didn't picture that. Things like the beacons and PDA messages are what is needed. The PDA already says right at the start, "I'm programmed to help you survive" or some such phrase, so it would make perfect sense to make it elaborate on the crash debris, a la, "Large pieces of the Aurora have been detected landing in the water within five kilometers. They may contain useful supplies or data for your survival." And then let the player craft a wall-mounted scanner that identifies wreckage sites with 500m diameter circles on a crude map. Enough to let you know an area to aim for, but no more. Tweak the circle size and reveal rate (i.e., every X hours, it locates another wreck) as needed for balance.

Finding new places and things after many hours of play is indeed fun, IF they are not essential things that gate a lot of other content. A lot of the deeper creepy zones do this well, with beautiful locations you didn't know were there. The problem is when you have things like it being very difficult (though not impossible) to learn about, locate, and acquire the blueprints for the Moonpool without a Seamoth depth upgrade, which can only be crafted in the Vehicle Modification Station you build in the Moonpool. Things like that drive people to forums and wikis to learn the one quirky sequence you must follow to get those things (get the prebuilt upgrade off the Aurora, etc., etc.). Important progression items need multiple strategies and locations you can pursue to acquire them.
    This applies even more so if it's not your first play through. I would fully support an option from the new game menu to select exactly what help you desire.
    A good idea as well.
    I still stand by the craft menu giving you 90% of things you need right off the bat, though. As soon as you stumble upon the upgrade station fragments for example, you're curious as to what exactly can be upgraded, and as soon as you build one you'll see you can upgrade the fins. I think that's acceptable as it is, without any clues other than finding the fragment on your own. I don't see any need for the game to somehow tell us "You could find the fragments and then upgrade things" as that, I'm afraid, would definitely fit into the category of "massive spoiler."
    I'll have to disagree somewhat. The fabricator works well at telling you what's needed for what it can make, but says nothing about even the existence of things it can't. Let's look at what's needed to "stumble upon" the Modification Station. Currently only two wrecks contain its fragments. Both are deeper than 300m. Both are in "fringe" biomes far away from the Safe Shallows. One biome is inhabited by multiple reapers. The other location has the wreck tucked into a dark and narrow canyon that is easy to miss in a biome which is otherwise relatively barren, lowering the likelihood of a player aimlessly exploring it for very long in the first place. Without some kind of a vague "maybe something worth checking out over there" indicator, I see very few players stumbling upon it without having heard about it or looked it up outside the game.

And regarding the clues, I'm not talking about wiki-style "you can make a modification station to improve your fins" sentences. We already get signals to the broken lifepods and they already have PDAs to pick up. Make them then reveal the existence of Mod stations and Moonpools with narrative reveals, like recorded messages, Aurora maintenance logs, and that sort of thing. There are plenty of ways for creative developers to keep players from tabbing out to the wiki, and still retain challenge.

• BDelacroixBDelacroix Florida Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215511Members
    edited November 2016
    I am trying the same thing and so far I have pointers to several life pods and the floating island. That somewhat leads you to find the ruined base in the purple cave. Doesn't say to go to the purple cave, though, I just figure that's the one they mean in the PDAs you find.

The Aurora is a natural place to want to visit. After that, I don't know.

Now, not all the stuff is in the game. For instance you get the power signal at the mountain islands but nothing is there yet. Perhaps some bread crumbs will be there when that alien base is in.
  • maximo101maximo101 Australia Join Date: 2016-10-27 Member: 223413Members
    I am new to the game and find myself getting lost. Im also teying not yo look up things. But a compass would be great. I used a beacon on my base and get my bearing from that but when its behind me i have no idea what direction im going
    edited November 2016
    *Deleted, forget it, null & void*

(There is a compass in game, but if you're trying not to look things up, I won't tell you more than that.)
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Like @subnauticambrian pointed out, you can find signals (or at least you used to be able to... my current playthrough I've found none) that pointed to various natural features that would aid in exploration. That's how I found the ILZ for the first time - I got a signal that wanted me to go 1100 meters straight down, and I was GOING to find out what was there, goddamnit!
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    You get hints from transmissions and PDAs where some stuff is. I'd guess they add more of these later in development with the story getting implemented in its final form.

Just explore a lot. I know it seems huge, but it's really not as big as it seems. Spend a lot of time getting familiar with the "surface" (anywhere that isn't caves or super deep), get used to knowing where the major biomes are in relation to the aurora. The mountains are towards the front of the ship. The floating island is directly behind the engines of the ship, and the grand reef is just below that. The lost river is connected to the grand reef. You can get to the dunes by looking at the side of the aurora you're usually facing, turning around 180 degrees and going straight. The underwater islands are between the mountains and the dunes, and the blood kelp zone is below them/ kinda adjacent. There's a massive cave entrance in the blood kelp zone, and it's the easiest way to get into the lava zones. The jellyshroom caves have small entrances all around the edge of the safe zone and in the redgrass zones. The koosh zone is on the rear side of the aurora near the mountains.

Just look around on your own, spend time just exploring, that's what subnautica is all about. Also finding the coordinates in the aurora helps finding the lava zone entrances.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    It's called EXPLORING, fam.
    *Deleted, forget it, null & void*

(There is a compass in game, but if you're trying not to look things up, I won't tell you more than that.)

I swear there was no compass in my inventory yesterday! Just logged in and i have a compass!
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    It's called EXPLORING, fam.

Yeah this...

...and build a compass soon.

I also build a bunch of bases to help me navigate... kindof like wayposts. Beacons can help for this but are terribly ugly and can't be turned off without turning off the whole hud (F6 key I think?)
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Finding out for yourself is one of the main appeals of the game for a lot of people. We don't want to have our hands held, or be told where things are, thus removing the experience of finding out for ourselves. You're basically asking for continuing and persistent spoilers, and spoilers suck all the life and fun from a game. PDA alerts about a vague, general direction to go and check out are fine, but anything more is just obnoxious and patronising to the player. Leave me alone to find out myself.

I realize where you're coming from, but this reminds me of a post i made in another thread. You don't want to be spoiled by knowing things beforehand, and want to enjoy discovering things naturally. I completely agree with you in that regard. But like in my related post, how the game engine operates and generates the terrain, the world map and design is the same with every playthrough. While you can change how you approach events that occur in the game, ultimately the stuff you find in the game will remain the same no matter how many times you play.

If the game could support procedural generation and make item/structure discovery in the game truly random, then I could get behind not having maps or coordinates at all. But since that's not the case, not having access to basic maps or navigation in the game at all is a questionable system mechanic. I think a good compromise is having access to a static map in game but it only reveals itself as you navigate the biomes, similar to how World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XIV "reveal" the map as you personally uncover it.
    edited November 2016
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I think a good compromise is having access to a static map in game but it only reveals itself as you navigate the biomes, similar to how World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XIV "reveal" the map as you personally uncover it.
    A map with a 'fog of war' would be good. Or even if it was more involved like you needing to 'scan' areas to then have some geographically information to import into a map

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Not wanting to sound rude but the way you find things is you open your eyes and look as you explore. In other words, you put some effort in and find things for yourself. For me that's the beauty of the game. When i find something after searching high and low for it, without resorting to youtube or google, i always feel a moment of triuumph.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    I've said it before, Cyclops needs some sort of scanning facility to find things a bit further out. That, and a way to sleep at night, because exploring is a LOT easier with extra light filtering down.

Combing the map is obviously fun for some people, but other people find it repetitive and boring. After poking around a while, it becomes a chore to grid-search the entire map, just on the off chance of finding something new.
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    Well - you ARE being rude! You obviously didn't understand the point of my question, and such lame answer/suggestion as you have given simply underscores that. Sheesh!

Myrm wrote: »
    Not wanting to sound rude but the way you find things is you open your eyes and look as you explore. In other words, you put some effort in and find things for yourself. For me that's the beauty of the game. When i find something after searching high and low for it, without resorting to youtube or google, i always feel a moment of triuumph.

• MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    That, and a way to sleep at night, because exploring is a LOT easier with extra light filtering down.
    Supposedly the beds are going to get that ability at some point.