Do Polls Irk You?

ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
People are upset because polls exist.

Do polls irk you?

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I'm completely neutral. It's not obligatory to vote in a poll, you can just ignore it and continue as usual. I suppose the reason people get peeved is when there's too many polls or when the options are biased?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    We already had a poll about allowing polls on these here forums before, back when polls weren't available. Now we have a poll about "WTF git that shizzle outah here"?

We've come full circle at last!
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    We already had a poll about allowing polls on these here forums before, back when polls weren't available. Now we have a poll about "WTF git that shizzle outah here"?

I honestly think these polls are well crafted. Think more sites should use it. It displays the option on the top of your comment so you don't have to guess what the person chose, they can just go right into why they selected that choice.

But honestly this poll was more passive aggressive to be honest xD
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Maybe only polls about polls ...
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    Some do, some not.
  • ThosarThosar Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221302Members
    edited November 2016
    I suppose the reason people get peeved is ... when the options are biased?
    That.

Like putting in three options for one answer. That creates a bias away from that answer as that party is now split three ways. Wording also can create a bias, and many polls in this forum simply leave options out completely. It's actually fairly hard to create a completely unbiased poll, but if people want to get at least semi-valid results from a poll, they need to at least put some thought into it to make sure they're including differing viewpoints, and not reducing an argument to only two sides, or favoring one side over the other.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Thosar wrote: »
    That.

Like putting in three options for one answer. That creates a bias away from that answer as that party is now split three ways. Wording also can create a bias, and many polls in this forum simply leave options out completely. It's actually fairly hard to create a completely unbiased poll, but if people want to get at least semi-valid results from a poll, they need to at least put some thought into it to make sure they're including differing viewpoints, and not reducing an argument to only two sides, or favoring one side over the other.

I think you're putting too much thought into polls.

They don't need to put any thought into polls. Just as I did here. I didn't put thought into the poll, and I chose to do that. IF you don't like the poll options then you don't need to vote.

There's no need to be dramatic or emotional about a poll.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Yet another meaningless and useless poll. Not sure why I even voted I might make a poll and ask the community what I should have for dinner tonight :D
    edited November 2016
    Myrm wrote: »
    Yet another meaningless and useless poll. Not sure why I even voted I might make a poll and ask the community what I should have for dinner tonight :D

Maybe you should! It's your post after all! Do whatever you feel like doing!

I'm sure if enough people complain about it the options will change to suit each individual!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

I honestly think these polls are well crafted. Think more sites should use it. It displays the option on the top of your comment so you don't have to guess what the person chose, they can just go right into why they selected that choice.

And more power to ya, lovin' the humour up in here! Maybe imma do a poll about polls asking about polls...

And more power to ya, lovin' the humour up in here! Maybe imma do a poll about polls asking about polls...

I'm as salty as the planet this game is set in.
    edited November 2016

The fact remains that polls help discussion. They also help visualize how many people agree or disagree and bring forth a conversation then on. I don't understand how people can complain about how "meaningless" polls are... they aren't for any meaning, it's more for calculation.
    edited November 2016
    I guess we were afraid of the spammy nature of polls *ahem* multiplayer subnautica polls

But so far... Threads or polls about a subject that requires people to make a decision and have a discussion based on that... Polls win that battle to some extent I guess :)
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    If polls irk you (not counting duplicates, but any duplicate thread is a minor irritation) or indeed if anything on an online forum irks you, you should probably re-evaluate your way of thinking.
    edited November 2016
    If polls irk you (not counting duplicates, but any duplicate thread is a minor irritation) or indeed if anything on an online forum irks you, you should probably re-evaluate your way of thinking.

This post irks me :trollface:
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

I put too much thought into a lot of things.
    edited November 2016
    That.

They don't need to put any thought into polls. Just as I did here. I didn't put thought into the poll, and I chose to do that. IF you don't like the poll options then you don't need to vote.

Also, I'm not being emotional or dramatic. I made an if-then statement.

If people want semi-valid results to polls, they should put a little thought into them.

Just as you made an if-then statement.

If you don't like the poll, you don't have to vote.

Incidentally, creating polls that some people don't want to vote in is also introducing bias.
    That.

If people want semi-valid results to polls, they should put a little thought into them.

Incidentally, creating polls that some people don't want to vote in is also introducing bias.

Yeah but... who cares?

It's the Internet. Not a debate club. And polls will likely never represent every aspect of thought.

I mean what would your example of a good poll be?
    That.

Yeah but... who cares?

It's the Internet. Not a debate club. And polls will likely never represent every aspect of thought.

I mean what would your example of a good poll be?

I don't have an example offhand, nor do I have the inclination to put in the thought to create one. And I don't really care.

You put up a facetious poll, I gave a facetious answer.

I just figure people who do want valid results from polls should care. Otherwise... Why are they putting up the polls?
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    You mean polls like this? Yep, pointess