Suggestion: Refrigeration Locker

TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
There is a current dilemma in-game… long term preservation a.k.a. curing food is taxing on limited salt deposit resources. Despite being able to cook food quite easily, cooked food goes bad quite readily (as it should in keeping with realism/balance).

I suggest some sort of refrigerator/freezer be implemented in game. Perhaps it could be an upgrade to the existing locker (hence the title), or maybe it can be a technology gained from analyzing fragments (like the workbench). Such a technology would be late game material – available for recovery in deep waters. I imagine frozen foods would not keep indefinably, but much longer than current capabilities.

Seeing as the ability to preserve food easily has the potential to game break - considering the challenge of collecting food and water is a major part of the game’s challenge - perhaps the freezer slowly drains energy from the base/sub. Also, cured food stored in the freezer would keep for a very long time – perhaps many weeks/months.

Tell me what you guys think! :)

Comments

• TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited May 2015
    Well, I thought there would be a positive response to this, like there was on the Steam Forums, but I guess not. :neutral:  
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    From here.

Freezer

• Preserves food for long periods of time, but not indefinitely.
    • Frozen food could be cooked or cured normally like fresh fish.
    • Make dead fish rot too, so this would be worth constructing.
    • Uses power constantly, so power generating systems are necessary. More freezers means more generators are needed.
    • Freeze drinkable water. You would need ice to cool down a machine inside Aurora or in an alien town. This would unlock some new blueprints or open new paths to explore.
    • Can be used to preserve DNA-samples or other 'research subjects'.
    • Used for making some foods (ice cream!!!). Not really that usefull, but fun.
    Kind of the same idea, but I think it should also have other purposes than food preserving.

• TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    I still don't understand why this isn't a thing.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    It's going to be an extreme Power Eater though.

Refrigeration takes a lot of electricity.
    B)
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Sort of on/off topic, refrigeration for food... what is your all's opinion on using the "big" creatures for more than just threats or scenery? Say, for example, the option to slice edible pieces off of a sandshark after it's dead? Currently, I think dead "big" creatures just re-animate after a certain amount of time, so what are your opinions on "using" them?
  • TolemTolem Thailand Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219614Members

Because every living fish keep in locker are always living until it get killed so just keep fish as live one is enough. As for plants, no matter how much it rot, as long as you put it on the planter, it will become fresh again. With these 2 mechanics, refrigerator is not need.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Tolem wrote: »

Because every living fish keep in locker are always living until it get killed so just keep fish as live one is enough. As for plants, no matter how much it rot, as long as you put it on the planter, it will become fresh again. With these 2 mechanics, refrigerator is not need.

True, but these mechanics make no logical sense, and so it might be a good idea to remove them and replace them with something that does make sense.
  • AzirphaeliAzirphaeli USA Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217144Members
    Reasons why I do not think this is needed:

Curing food is not taxing on salt, because salt is generated in abundance with a water filtration machine. I always end up with excess salt from that alone, and never need to actually pick any up from the environment.

Alien Containment means fresh food is always on hand, so cook what you plan to eat at base, distill from your airsack tank, loot the filter, and then cure whatever you feel you need to take with you. Hell you can even eat raw in emergencies (and then drink to make up for the water loss). When you try farming, the "fresh food on hand" thing is even bigger a deal.

Early game, perhaps, but then it'd be added to the pile of "tech you don't really need after an hour or so of playing" taking up room in your base.

I admit that putting living things in storage indefinitely and planting rotted stuff to make it fresh are both.. silly.. and should be removed. If they were though, it wouldn't address my points about and as such, there's no need for refrigeration.
    edited November 2016
    Azirphaeli wrote: »

Curing food is not taxing on salt, because salt is generated in abundance with a water filtration machine.

Alien Containment means fresh food is always on hand

Oh yeah... Sorry, brain not working there for a sec- I even do this with my seabases, those two options completely slipped my mind. How about for preserving pieces of big creatures though? Although that brings in more of a discussion on player violence towards the environment...

EDIT: Wait, actually you could just use salt to cure pieces of big creatures (in the hypothetical scenario where that game mechanic exists). so, nevermind about the freezer I guess. Cool idea though.
    Azirphaeli wrote: »

Curing food is not taxing on salt, because salt is generated in abundance with a water filtration machine. I always end up with excess salt from that alone, and never need to actually pick any up from the environment.

Alien Containment means fresh food is always on hand, so cook what you plan to eat at base, distill from your airsack tank, loot the filter, and then cure whatever you feel you need to take with you. Hell you can even eat raw in emergencies (and then drink to make up for the water loss). When you try farming, the "fresh food on hand" thing is even bigger a deal.

Early game, perhaps, but then it'd be added to the pile of "tech you don't really need after an hour or so of playing" taking up room in your base.

I admit that putting living things in storage indefinitely and planting rotted stuff to make it fresh are both.. silly.. and should be removed. If they were though, it wouldn't address my points about and as such, there's no need for refrigeration.

But what about refrigeration of items that can't be cured?
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I think that this is a great idea! I do think that we need a way to preserve food!
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    It's kind of weird that fish can survive indefinitely in inventory while on land, or in lockers. I don't think it's an issue while you're submersed yourself, but if you're walking around dry, fish in your pockets should definitely be kind of dead after a few minutes. Same with lockers.

A second, less ornate "live well" fish tank with no see-through, for more storage than ornamentation, would be neat for the Cyclops and base storage.

And player-made space-saving food bar stacks would also be nice (from grinding up food values, not any particular things). And multi-use canteens, perhaps?
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited November 2016
    Tolem wrote: »

Live Fish need to die and then rot if out of water for a while (I.e. in your pocket while walking around on land, or stuffed into a locker), making Aquariums and Alien Containment facilities vital to keeping up supplies of meat.

This also brings up the issue of the Carar disease, and how it can spread to other fish in the same Aquarium/Tank. So Freezing them would be the best way to preserve food stores for long periods without risk of spoiling or contamination.

I don't think having a freezer in your Seabase would be game breaking.
    Sure, you can stockpile food, but you're not gonna be able to carry it with you when you go out exploring, and you can only dedicate so much space in your inventory to food.

I'd have it limited to being built in SeaBase Multipurpose Rooms, on the wall like the Water Filters. Have take and purify water from the environment to make ice, and give it the storage space of a Wall Locker.
  • JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    Solution: Use lantern fruit. Stock up a cyclops with some trees, and enjoy the free food that will hopefully be regrown by the time you need more. It does decay IIRC, but it's so easy to get that that isn't too much of an issue.
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    Solution: put live fish into a tall locker and pretend it's a refrigerator. Works just the same.
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    It's going to be an extreme Power Eater though.

Refrigeration takes a lot of electricity.
    B)

Not as much as reverse osmosis, which is probably how the filtration machine works.