Build 311 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
    LOVE infested - Its a nice gamemode, especially with friends. Easy to pick up. A bit hard to understand at first, but fun when you get the hang of it! :D
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    I must say, I really like the new lights when power is off...

First off, it looks kinda scarier but at the same time more comfortable to play in... I really hope that you could keep these lights!

Secondly, I like this patch... nothing to get worked up about :D
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Infested is hysterical and so refreshing to play.
    All paranoia and deception. :D
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Infested is great. I wonder if it would be interesting to have the infested to kill power nodes gradually making the map darker.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Infested is quite fun. However I think marines in large games need more incentive to stay mobile. The ideal strategy right now is to camp an RT and flame anyone who approaches you, which in practice involves a lot of waiting and makes you completely safe from infested. Only after your teammates screw up and lose a room to the infested do you have to travel to save RTs.

Maybe flamer ammo should be limited and require finding ammo pickups, which don't spawn near RTs?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The Infected is really fun. Especially when you're infected and pretending you're not.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    All map readyrooms have been made more spooky (Thanks Zavaro, Flatrectomy, and Samus!)
    Flat, we thought you were dead D:
    (not really)
    I am. That is why I get involved during Halloween. OOoOOoooOOoOooOo...
    What's the internet connection through an ouija board like?

666 Mbit from where I ended up in the afterlife. :open_mouth:
  • MilaniumMilanium Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176388Members
    edited October 2016
    Compared to the initial release this community patched version is so much more playable with Intel HD 4000 graphics. I recently downloaded NS2 again and had some great fun. Thanks!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Zek wrote: »
    Infested is quite fun. However I think marines in large games need more incentive to stay mobile. The ideal strategy right now is to camp an RT and flame anyone who approaches you, which in practice involves a lot of waiting and makes you completely safe from infested. Only after your teammates screw up and lose a room to the infested do you have to travel to save RTs.?
    I don't think that's the case actually.
    With larger player counts, the more infected individuals you get at the start. So if Marines team up and stay to their sectors... There's still infected in the room with them waiting for the right moment. And they have 2 whole minutes to make said move.

Almost every round I've seen where Marines do this ends up breaking down eventually, due to a false sense of trust for those you've teamed up with. A patient infected in this scenario pays off hugely. From there, Marines either start to cover the parts of the map no longer covered and are vulnerable.. or they lose because they won't become mobile and repair.

On a related note, I'm anecdotally finding infested are winning 70%+ of the time.. even on larger servers. Who knows though, maybe people are still learning how to play and it just needs time to settle. Even if it didn't I wouldn't mind.. for some reason I don't think this game mode needs a 50/50 win rate.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Right now, people are still learning how to play properly. Here's what I've gathered:

As the infested, there's two strategies:
    1. The boring one: Wait behind a corner. When a marine comes around, jump him. 95% of the time, you will successfully infest him.
    2. The fun one: Use the advantage of the minimap to call out things and confuse marines. Pretend you're part of the team, then betray them when it's convenient. E.g., claim you're defending a position, then when someone wants passage, sneak up on them. Try to make marines think their not infested team mates are infested.

As marines, there's also two main strategies you can follow:
    1. On bigger servers: Everyone pick a room. Defend that room. Anyone coming in gets flamed. This can only work on large servers, where there are more marines than RTs, and only with teams that manage to coordinate. I've seen this work really well on derelict, for example, with a team that communicated a lot. But it's also a default behavior bad teams fall into, and in those cases never work out. Had some matches on veil where people didn't coordinate; there were always some idiots camping in the skylights vent. Needless to say, they always lost.
    2. Move around and be proactive, killing cysts. Move in pairs of two (!) so if one of you gets jumped, the remaining marines can kill the attacker and the victim. Moving in pairs is something people don't seem to have figured out yet, by the way. This strategy is also much more dangerous, as you can only be ambushed when you are moving...

There's probably also a way to group up and kill each other at the beginning of the round, so that there's always/most of the time uninfected marines left. But where would the fun in that be?
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Infected is really quite fun, and very funny. I was crackin my ass up all night. Havent stayed up so late playing ns2 in 6 months.

KUDOS!
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    The camping infected is too OP... I will walk into a room prefiring on a suspicious corner and boom an infected will close the 3ft and infect me even as I empty my FLame in his face???

I'm not sure if this is a matter of him having high ping or what, but it is frustrating to "expect" an infected and even prefiring still not be safe.
    Is there a way to make a "game mode" vote? So people can switch between infected and regular periodically without having to switch servers?
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    maD maX wrote: »
    Is there a way to make a "game mode" vote? So people can switch between infected and regular periodically without having to switch servers?

Server ops can do that. You can mix Infested maps with regular maps in the map vote.
    The camping infected is too OP... I will walk into a room prefiring on a suspicious corner and boom an infected will close the 3ft and infect me even as I empty my FLame in his face???

I'm not sure if this is a matter of him having high ping or what, but it is frustrating to "expect" an infected and even prefiring still not be safe.

This is more to do with an issue with the FT currently.
    Some fixes were attempted for this game mode already, but it still needs improvement.
    After way more too much time playing this I have 2 suggestions...

1. Marines need to get more points! You get like 100 points for infecting a person; but as a marine you can kill 10 infested, kill 40 cysts, and even win but seems like you only get 8 points. As such it's advantages to let yourself get infected (if we cared about points).

2. We should care about points more! After a round wins there needs to be a scoreboard showing the round stats. Show who was infested, who died to friendly fire, who survived only to run out of air, how many some one infected, how many infected some one killed, who was the first infected....

This feels a lot like kickball in NS1 great silly FUN... well maybe a bit more stressful ;)
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited October 2016
    Really good work on the infested mod. This is the most fun ns2 mod I've played. This is refreshing and has it's own addictive quality to it. Here is my wishlist of changes:
    1) Scoreboard with points and stats. Give incentive to being a marine and killing infected players. Also give incentive for infecting people.
    2) Have awards for the round: last marine left, most people infected, most kills on infected players etc..
    3) Turn voice comms a different color when a player is dead so it's less confusing for dead players.
    4) Change how the mod works when an infected player sits around a corner from a marine. Give the flamethrower an ability to check a corner better. Either a sound effect when the flames are near a player, visual cue, or some kind of thing to help identify a player in your area.
    5) Do something fun for the last marine left, not sure what to add, but would be fun to add something.
    edited October 2016
    Ideas continued...

Pick up from killing an infected... instant reward for rines! (Maybe 50/50 chance of dropping when you kill an infected)

Reward ideas...
    1. maybe a single ops scan (shows everyone in range but not if they are infected).....
    2. Drop off infected hive vision/map for 10-20 seconds.
    3. Stun grenade... slow down the mob(or maybe accidentally sacrifices a friendly)
    4. Personal air filter works for 10-20 seconds.

Imagine being the last marine and having a few of these as you scramble to save that RT... you use your "cloak" to sprint to the RT, ping the room to verify clear, save the RT, and stun the mob of infested that came chasing. Then when the air quality is almost gone and they charge with nothing to lose your air breather extendes the round those precious few seconds!

This could raise the skill ceiling, and would encourage players to move and engage instead of camp.

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    PSA :

DO NOT USE DX11 FOR THE TIME BEING.
    Use DX9 fullscreen.

@HoSoS2 @Roddy01

Remind me again why we still have that option there?
    Also glad we have NS2's version of TTT now.
    Ideas continued...

Pick up from killing an infected... instant reward for rines! (Maybe 50/50 chance of dropping when you kill an infected)

Reward ideas...
    1. maybe a single ops scan (shows everyone in range but not if they are infected).....
    2. Drop off infected hive vision/map for 10-20 seconds.
    3. Stun grenade... slow down the mob(or maybe accidentally sacrifices a friendly)
    4. Personal air filter works for 10-20 seconds.

Imagine being the last marine and having a few of these as you scramble to save that RT... you use your "cloak" to sprint to the RT, ping the room to verify clear, save the RT, and stun the mob of infested that came chasing. Then when the air quality is almost gone and they charge with nothing to lose your air breather extendes the round those precious few seconds!

This could raise the skill ceiling, and would encourage players to move and engage instead of camp.

I think infected is great because it is simple, straightforward and accessible. In my opinion, it should stay as it is. There's two things I miss a little, though:
    1. Being able to see who was still alive/uninfected at the end of a round. Often you survive and wonder if you were the last one.
    2. Being able to volunteer for being the initial infected, so people have some control over which team they get to be on.

The second isn't really necessary, though.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can we please enable local chat on Infected servers by default?

It opens up a whole new strategy when you only want infected / uninfected people in your vicinity to hear, will also help declog all the noise congestion you get too
    I think infected is great because it is simple, straightforward and accessible. In my opinion, it should stay as it is. There's two things I miss a little, though:
    1. Being able to see who was still alive/uninfected at the end of a round. Often you survive and wonder if you were the last one.
    2. Being able to volunteer for being the initial infected, so people have some control over which team they get to be on.

The second isn't really necessary, though.

Fair enough on the simplicity point...

I think a simple award post, randomly chose 4 of the following...

1. Fool a friend: XXX(unifected killed by uninflected)
    2. Smarter then the average bear: XXX (player who killed the most infected)
    3. Sneaky sneaky: XXX (most infectious)
    4. Premature infection: (player who died of starvation with out infecting anyone)
    5. Lonely camper: XXX (player who spent 90% of time in a single room)
    6. Then there were 2: XXX (First player infected)
    7. Trigger happy: XXX (player who kills an uninflected).
    8. Groundskeeper Willy: XXX (player who kills the most cysts)
    9. Mr. Fix: XXX (player spent most time welding)
    10. One of Us: XXX (last player who gets infected to end the round)
    11. Winner winner gorgie dinner: XXX, YYY, ZZZ, ECT. (All Marlene players who survived)

What's your idea for an award????

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2016
    My new strategy in infected is find the most vocal person on the server. Follow them every round no matter what. They can kill you, which is funny. They can run from you, which is funny. Or you can both support each other and be stronger as a group. @SantaClaws was my victim tonight. He would not accept me as a partner. His counter strategy was to run away until he found someone that would kill me for him.
    edited November 2016
    @Nordic I did similar with commanderNOMA or something like that. He admited he was trolling running at people forcing team kills.... so after the 2nd he forced me to kill him I changed tactics. I chased him for the following 10-15 rounds and we died together (he never got a chance to troll again).... 1 time he was infested and he died, 2 times I was infested and Did not infest him on principle.

Trolling the troll, and listening to him complain, at a certain point you just can't stop...
    Nordic wrote: »
    My new strategy in infected is find the most vocal person on the server. Follow them every round no matter what. They can kill you, which is funny. They can run from you, which is funny. Or you can both support each other and be stronger as a group. @SantaClaws was my victim tonight. He would not accept me as a partner.

I did that with @Zavaro. We were very successful.

Something that really annoys me about Infected is that the UI takes up way too much space on the screen. Have an option to turn most of it off. And please shrink the size of the RT icons.

Also, the fade in/fade out of the infected poster is stupid and looks bad because you fade out right after you fade in. Make the fading faster and give a few moments for it to be solid.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Can we please enable local chat on Infected servers by default?
    This. +1

Also I have not noticed so maybe it already does this butt there should be sound indicators to notify of air quality changes. you know Buzz is bad, ding is good. Maybe an alarm near the end. You know that slow relentless beep sound.

---
    Where do I know that Boooooop Boooooop Boooooop ping sound that I'm thinking of from anyway? Well you can't see what I'm thinking but try anyway. Maybe its Beeeeep Beeeeeep Beeeeep