Did performance (I pray) get any better with this update?

jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes. Obviously this doesn't apply to those who didn't notice performance issues before.

Comments

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    What's a... performance?
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    It got slightly worse for me, but my PC sucks. I'll let someone else to decide this :D
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2016
    I've noticed that I have pauses more often now than I did after the last update in Sept.
    I started another new game in Freedom mode with this update.
    I'm now getting mostly between 20 to 30 FPS and still can play the game, but as I said there seems to be momentary pauses that I didn't really notice before.
    I haven't built much of a base yet and don't have the Seamoth or Cyclops, so I'll have to update this post as the game progresses.
    B)
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited October 2016
    I tend to run my games on Recommended settings with Normal water, and up until now my games would lag a bit (usually when changing between biomes and loading new textures) but it was generally smooth. After this update I finally had to drop it down to Minimum settings, as my game would lag more often and 'freeze' for a few seconds quite often. The reduced setting causes more pop-in and has more visible terrain seams, but it does run a bit smoother now. It's not entirely the fault of the game, as my current system has a good video card but is limited by the processor and 4GB of memory (sadly that's the maximum limit). :(

If I could get a solid-state drive to run Subnautica on, I think it would tremendously improve performance between the texture loading and increasing virtual memory... but until I can find a new job, I can't justify the cost. I'm also hoping that they'll remove terraforming from the game entirely (I think that's slated for November) which should also help improve game performance. The Terraformer and the ability to Dig Sand are gone, but terraforming still exists currently; you can see the game terraform automatically when you build a Reinforcement or Multipurpose Room that clips into the terrain.
    If I read things correctly, They are only going to remove the ability for players to alter the terrain with a device.

Base placement will still remove the surrounding ground if necessary.
    B)
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I tend to run my games on Recommended settings with Normal water, and up until now my games would lag a bit (usually when changing between biomes and loading new textures) but it was generally smooth. After this update I finally had to drop it down to Minimum settings, as my game would lag more often and 'freeze' for a few seconds quite often. The reduced setting causes more pop-in and has more visible terrain seams, but it does run a bit smoother now. It's not entirely the fault of the game, as my current system has a good video card but is limited by the processor and 4GB of memory (sadly that's the maximum limit). :(

If I could get a solid-state drive to run Subnautica on, I think it would tremendously improve performance between the texture loading and increasing virtual memory... but until I can find a new job, I can't justify the cost. I'm also hoping that they'll remove terraforming from the game entirely (I think that's slated for November) which should also help improve game performance. The Terraformer and the ability to Dig Sand are gone, but terraforming still exists currently; you can see the game terraform automatically when you build a Reinforcement or Multipurpose Room that clips into the terrain.

I have two NVidia 970's in SLI, a monster CPU, fast SSD, and 16 Gig of RAM. I think you'd be disappointed at this point to put a thousand dollars into your rig and see you're still in the same place you started. They have got to do major optimizing passes before the last month of development or many of us who love the game dearly are going to quit. I can play Total War Warhammer at max graphic detail 2560x1600 just fine. I'm only asking this game to do 1920x1080 at medium detail and performance (once you have medium base with lots of lockers and power & seamoth) is terrible in many regions (not all but many).
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    I have a newly built PC; Skylake processor at 4Ghz, 16G ram, Win 10, both SSD & SATA drives, and one Nvidia 960 (2G ram). I just found out about the FPS option on Steam, and gave it a go on my Sept build-now-in-Bones. Was surprised to see a lot of under 10 FPS readings, but the game still seems to be playable. Perhaps a bit slower - haven't played the Bones release enuf to be sure...
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    I'm also hoping that they'll remove terraforming from the game entirely (I think that's slated for November) which should also help improve game performance. The Terraformer and the ability to Dig Sand are gone, but terraforming still exists currently; you can see the game terraform automatically when you build a Reinforcement or Multipurpose Room that clips into the terrain.

I like terraforming... :disappointed: I understand the complaints against it in survival- it lags many games out and bogs them down, and now that they've removed the terraformer tool, it's impractical to use terraforming to customize your game. However, I really am a fan of it in creative. It allows people to customize their game, and makes the creative experience that much more... well, creative. It's fun to make massive out-of water structures, replicate real-world structures underwater, or generally mess about (like this) Does anyone agree?
    edited October 2016
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    If I read things correctly, They are only going to remove the ability for players to alter the terrain with a device.
    Base placement will still remove the surrounding ground if necessary.
    B)

That could be true, but there is this entry on the Trello for the Nov 17th update. Granted, it's not very informative and may not happen, but I'd like to hope it does. As the game stands now between having to keep the additional textures in memory, the game engine reacting to the deformed terrain and the save file having to keep up with each additional map change, I've no doubt terraforming is causing more performance issues than it is with beneficial realistic gameplay.
    I like terraforming... :disappointed: I understand the complaints against it in survival- it lags many games out and bogs them down, and now that they've removed the terraformer tool, it's impractical to use terraforming to customize your game. However, I really am a fan of it in creative. It allows people to customize their game, and makes the creative experience that much more... well, creative. It's fun to make massive out-of water structures, replicate real-world structures underwater, or generally mess about (like this) Does anyone agree?

Oh, I totally agree! I remember watching Markiplier play Subnautica and he used the Terraformer to dig down into an underwater cavern to explore with his Seamoth, then get freaked out when he accidentally buried his Seamoth with created dirt. :D The Terraformer is one of the things that is fairly unique to Subnautica, and it's a shame for the developers to put time and effort into it and not have it in the final game. If anything like you said, it should be a staple of Creative mode, since that's designed to be fun and carefree and wield phenomenal, cosmic powers! :wink:
    edited October 2016
    Yeah, I saw that one too.

I hope the hell They don't take the Platforms away, the platforms add positive numbers to our bases and it also gives us a dry place to set up exterior plant beds above sea level.
    (other than on the Floating Island or Mountain)
    B)
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    Since terraforming hurts performance right now, Is there some way to make a base without platforms then? Or maybe just 1 platform?

Another thing I was thinking about. My current base is possibly on the edge of two biomes. It's near enough to the heat vent that when I go inot aft part of my base the temperature goes way up. Bu the front part of my base is a gorgeous view of the Kelp Forest. I wonder if a base was wholly in middle of one zone, if the game would have better overall performance?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    PSA: Anyone that doesn't have Subnautica installed to an SSD, if you just had a major update, do a disk defrag, this may help a little bit (as a major update would tend to fragment the game being updated).

DO NOT defragment if you have it installed on an SSD, it's unnecessary, and will shorten the SSD's lifespan.

I, for one, hope they gain so much improvement with the optimization phase, that they add the terraformer back in to creative mode.

And, yeah, not doing optimization passes before pre-final means your optimizations will only have that final amount of time to be quality-checked. (So if optimizing introduces bugs, it's that much less likely to be caught before final release.)
    I'd like to make an additional note, that after this update my game lags more frequently now. This has been an issue in the past but now it's to the point that it will hang up for 10 seconds or longer, and has crashed more times in the last week than it has ever in the past (which it never crashed at all before this update). I realize it's still early access and things are subject to break, but this is the first time in four months of playing that the game has literally become unplayable. I don't know what's happened to change performance this much but I hope that something changes soon. :cry:
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I'd like to make an additional note, that after this update my game lags more frequently now. This has been an issue in the past but now it's to the point that it will hang up for 10 seconds or longer, and has crashed more times in the last week than it has ever in the past (which it never crashed at all before this update). I realize it's still early access and things are subject to break, but this is the first time in four months of playing that the game has literally become unplayable. I don't know what's happened to change performance this much but I hope that something changes soon. :cry:

I've experienced this as well. It's especially prevalent when moving at high speed in the seamoth, which was always an issue for pop-in, but it's gotten much worse. I saw elsewhere someone mentioned the new engine - did the new Unity update happen, and that could be the root of all this?
  • ErnieWErnieW tonasket WA Join Date: 2015-07-13 Member: 206134Members
    dont know what all that last update had in it, but it wasn't good.
    at least this time i can play it if i keep the prawn away from every other object.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I to experience a lot of stuttering, though I am not that bothered by it because it at least halts the entire game and not, like, that I'm close to drowning by the time I regain control.

The Seamoth does have it more badly than plain swimming, but my main issue seems to be complex NPCs. Just one gasopod can drag things down and I've learned to stay away from reefbacks, which are now everywhere (a little too much if you ask me), altogether.
    edited October 2016
    It may be the addition of a whole bunch of Reefbacks that is adding to the lag concerns.

There are many more in game with the recent "Bones" update.
    Go take a look at this thread: (possible fix, if it doesn't help, just move folders back where they were)

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/145963/temporary-fix-for-recent-crashes-build-40062#latest
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    Update? What update? Oh, the Steam only one. I wouldn't know.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

And who's fault is it that you didn't buy it from Steam?
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members

Heh, this guy.

MS takes weeks to approve updates (I guess to be sure no one roots the XB to give us admin access or nefarious hacking purposes?).
  • crimsontwilightcrimsontwilight England Join Date: 2014-03-30 Member: 195051Members

I think that he is referring to the VR build of subnautica, which hasn't seen an update in a while (a fact that he/she constantly reminds us of, on what seems like every thread).

Whilst I can see that it would be annoying to not have your game updated, the devs aren't doing it out of spite. They are allocating their resources elsewhere, they have to prioritise and the vast majority of players are on steam. If it was easy to port the update to VR they would have done it.
  • Moltar9Moltar9 Canada Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223568Members
    I haven't played since a few patches ago and i can saying that the total performance has gone down. Also the games total space (gigs) taken up is getting out of control... 11 gigs is quite a bit considering it advertises 6 gigs
    Moltar9 wrote: »
    I haven't played since a few patches ago and i can saying that the total performance has gone down. Also the games total space (gigs) taken up is getting out of control... 11 gigs is quite a bit considering it advertises 6 gigs

Well, your saved game slot takes like ... 2+ gigs. If you delete your cache folders, it goes down, but all terrain customization gets wiped. So you might have to deconstruct / reconstruct parts of your base (starting with the lockers / solar panels / ladders, etc) to get the dirt out of your base.

BUT, it does seem to improve performance.

I'm sure optimizing that part of the game is on the devs' long to-do list.
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members

Heh, this guy.

looool. You can't be serious. If it's not properly kept up to date on Oculus Home, THEN WHY IS IT SOLD THERE.
    edited November 2016

Heh, this guy.

looool. You can't be serious. If it's not properly kept up to date on Oculus Home, THEN WHY IS IT SOLD THERE.

Because it's still a good game even without the newest updates. :smile: Don't you agree?
    [

I think that he is referring to the VR build of subnautica, which hasn't seen an update in a while (a fact that he/she constantly reminds us of, on what seems like every thread).

Pro tip: there is nothing stopping you from playing it in desktopmode just like on Steam so this is a fail excuse for not keeping it up to date.
    And " every thread"? gimme a break. I can count the threads I;ve commented on on one hand easily over a period of weeks I might add. Try again?

Buncha white knight fan boys here holy crap.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    edited November 2016

Heh, this guy.

From the very thread you made about this:
    Azirphaeli wrote: »
    Fucking hell people.

This isn't about PC is PC as in "fixes on the normal version should work on the oculus version.

What this guy is saying is why is the Home store version (not the VR version but the version of Subnautica sold on oculus' digital storefront) not kept up to date with stable steam releases? There were a number of VR fixes in the latest version, yet the one that is on Oculus' storefront is an older build without these fixes. The two storefronts are essentially selling the exact same software (the oculus home version can be played without VR just like the steam version) yet one is out of date and one is not. If someone purchase subnautica on Home, they don't have it on Steam and can't use the latest version (supposedly.. tbh I have it on Steam because I hate Home and owned Subnautica long before I owned a rift.)

Now, as for why, there's a number of potential reasons. Some storefronts charge for patches and updates (PSN, XBLA as I understand) and others have long and tedious approval processes. Steam, as we know, is quite open and hands off to a fault (really.. to a fault.. Valve needs to work on that..) and so it could be that the devs are staggering their updates on Home in order to avoid the cost or the hassle. You shouldn't just jump to blaming the devs for something that may be out of their control. For all we know, Oculus Home might have a lengthy approval process and Unknown Worlds would rather not have multiple patches sitting in a queue.

Now, can we stop chomping at the bit to prove each other wrong about things we clearly have barely read enough to understand or requiring industry insight we don't fucking have??

If you're going to make a thread at least keep up to date with it.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited November 2016
    Throwing my two cents in here, performance is just *slightly* worse for me than before. The game will at times lag up momentarily when it starts loading in new areas, but other than that it's roughly been the same as before.

Buncha white knight fan boys here holy crap.

Being positive / optimistic doesn't necessarily equate to being a "white knight fanboy".