Bones update - start new game or continue old one?

jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
It's a question we ask each month :) I'd like to see if performance has improve (dear God I hope so), but with as long as it took me to get to where I am not sure if I can test properly.

Comments

• EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Well I started a new game today anyway, as I never actually bothered to play the Dangerous Creatures update properly.
    Performance seems steady, though I never really had any real problems before. I haven't built a Seamoth yet though, that will be the real test.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    New save, then just slap in nocost in the console and go nuts.

I run the risk of burning out, though. It's not procedural, so I'm just going through the same motions every time. The first time, I actually went to the wrecks methodically and scanned everything. As time went on, I started rushing the process because it wasn't new. Now, I just load everything in and go tootling around, when new stuff gets added.
  • JudgeRhadamanthusJudgeRhadamanthus The Internet Join Date: 2015-10-01 Member: 208246Members
    edited October 2016
    This question was asked in the steam forum...(Linky) a dev replied, second comment) saying that there was no need to update unless you have a base in an area that has changed.
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    My old safe did not load the new terrain in Lost River, it was all weird and without detail :( I had to start new game, but it's ok, this can happen.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2016
    I kept my previous game from the Sept. update, but started a new Freedom mode version with this one.
    So far, it's been a bit of a crapshoot, my FPS is up in the 25-35 range at times but I'm noticing quite a few more pauses while playing.
    (which I didn't see with last months update)
    B)
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    I kept my previous game from the Sept. update, but started a new Freedom mode version with this one.
    So far, it's been a bit of a crapshoot, my FPS is up in the 25-35 range at times but I'm noticing quite a few more pauses while playing.
    (which I didn't see with last months update)
    B)

It's important we get the developers to focus on optimizing a big chunk of the game now instead of just before release. The game will get less than optimal word-of-mouth and fewer people will be playing deeply to find bugs because it becomes a chore to play when the game chugs. The performance killers have been known for a long time. Deleting objects doesn't free up resources, each power generation module saps fps, the sea moth issues, the new zones from last month, and there was one more I can't remember.

With power generation it appears the game is simulating that real time outside the base. I realize they may have done this so there's no load time going from the sea then into your base via airlock, but at this point I'd much rather the game mark the time you leave, stop ALL of the background simming with ALL base objects, then do a load and calculate everything when you re-enter the base based on time away. Yes, we may have to wait there for several seconds while the game calculates the power you should have, plant growth, locker contents, fish reproduction, etc. But that is much more favorable than what we have now. I know they're programming their hearts out, but it is concerning performance has just gotten worse and worse over time.