Is the predator/prey ratio at a good level?

AweFilafilOsophyAweFilafilOsophy Join Date: 2016-10-05 Member: 222877Members

Comments

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    edited October 2016
    I say too many. I like them hunting in groups but you can't seem to go two feet without running into a predator. Which should not be the case.

Depending on the predator and environment, I think we should see less predators or less so scattered about. Stalkers, for example, should stalk... try and hide and scavenge only at certain times of the day when not hunting, aka daytime.

Sandsharks should hunt in packs of three or four, but hidden under stand waiting to strike.

So on.

Obviously there should be some exceptions for gameplay purposes. Predators should patrol wreckage, but not overpopulate an area.
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    Stalkers should defend nesting ground in family groups of two. The kelp forests provide ample prey, so should support several family groups

Sandsharks, being opportunistic camouflaged predators, should operate independently and only pounce if their immediate proximity zone is breached, preferring to hide otherwise. They would be a lot scarier if they didn't make so much noise and make their presence so apparent. Searching the grassy plateaus for sandstone lumps or scrap would be a lot more risky if you didn't know where the sandshark was, and it didn't pounce until you were right on top of it.

Bone sharks I can see hunting in packs, but due to the predator/prey pyramid, only one pack should occupy a large volume of sea.

The number of those jelly snakes is OK as far as I can tell, since they employ the hide until prey is in range tactic much better than the sandsharks.

I haven't spent enough time around the newer predator types yet to make a determination, although I can tell you something as large as the crabsquid should scour a large territory individually, and would be in direct competition with the warpers.

Basically put, the biomes cannot support the number of large prey animals that are currently in the game.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited October 2016
    No option reflects how I feel. There are too many of some creatures and too little variation in threat level. There's absolutely no difference in threat between a Sandshark and a Stalker, and they're both dealt with in the same way. (Bullfight tactics mostly, let them charge then move at the last moment and swim off.)
    They need to make certain predators numerous but less aggressive unless you disturb them.

But others need to be slightly less numerous but buffed, and highly aggressive, like really, really aggressive, and only come out at night.

ie; Sandsharks hunting in big packs, but they don't attack you on sight like they always have, only if you give them cause or get too close will they all swarm you.
    And Stalkers are extremely aggressive and will actually stalk you when you escape them, but they only come out at night. They need to be like a really annoying pain in the ass that will kill you easily and chase you relentlessly. I want to actually scan my surroundings and make sure the way is clear before I continue into an area, instead of just heading over there and then dealing with whatever nasties are there.

Basically, the way you currently deal with Reapers, (try to avoid, move cautiously through their turf) that's how we should have to deal with other creatures too. (Doesn't have to be Stalkers, but come on, they're called Stalkers, they should live up to the name.)
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    Way too many predators. I love a thrill, the thrill of being hunted, but in some places the spawn rates are so high that it makes exploration almost impossible. Why can there be like 25 volteels in the koosh all in the same spot at the same time?
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am completely unafraid to go anywhere. Stalkers don't bother me, they're easy to avoid. Sandsharks are amusing. Anything else..... I wait until I can get in with the least amount of trouble. And always pack 1-3 medpacks.
    I don't understand polls like this and the posts that complain about their aggressiveness. In my opinion, neither are needed.
    I enjoy the game very much, it's a great way to relax. But, I think it needs to become a tad more difficult.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I'd like to see more passive or prey creatures myself. Even more creatures like the rockgrub, which are little more than tiny glowing crustaceans found in caves.
  • AweFilafilOsophyAweFilafilOsophy Join Date: 2016-10-05 Member: 222877Members
    Those results! XD
    59pz3n3nq8n7.png

The results NOW XD
  • crimsontwilightcrimsontwilight England Join Date: 2014-03-30 Member: 195051Members
    I think that the number of predators is ok, but that there should be more of the 'prey' species. To support oceanic ecosystems on earth requires huge shoals of smaller fish.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I'd love fewer, less predictable predators ...but ones which had more of potential to be threatening (e.g. faster).

The way it currently is you know that they'll attack you whenever there isn't a closer target, so they are a constant threat - until you get the seaglide and can simply outrun them... it makes for an underwhelming experience. It'd be nice to have something like decoys or deterrents early in the game (i.e. not torpedo based)... and to have predators that may just ignore you or may hunt you persistently... (instead of the current predictably aggressive but poor pursuers)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Also, predators not minding their own beeswax. You want them to be like real sharks, incredibly dangerous, but you can pet them.. if you dare.. and sometimes pay the price (especially if they happen to be nervous / cranky / hungry)!
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    One word, Sandsharks. Enough said.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    How about a compromise: make nightfall a reason to be extremely cautions, besides not being able to see.

Right now, since everything wants to eat you anyways, it's just the inability to see as well that makes a big difference.

What if, in the daytime, a lot of predators (esp. Stalkers and sneak up and nab type predators) kept their distance, maybe following for a bit, and then, once night time hit, stealthily closed to attack (maybe even calling in some of their buddies first for a shared banquet!).

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    How about a compromise: make nightfall a reason to be extremely cautions, besides not being able to see.

With this I'd love for the ability to be able to sleep on beds through the night.
    Have the player wake up when Solar Panels register sunlight in the morning.
  • VoilodionVoilodion Join Date: 2016-10-18 Member: 223230Members
    I like the game, but playing it when you have even a rudimentary understanding of food chains makes it clear that someone high up in the development team has decided to discard any semblance of scientific realism and just use the game's predators as an easy-to-use difficulty knob. It's too bad, because this really hurts immersion and there's a lot of potential for engaging gameplay with more realistic predator behavior and populations.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    In IRL the pred/prey balance is just about the same with SN. Aldo, there could be more preds.
  • mustangpilot12mustangpilot12 United States Join Date: 2015-06-14 Member: 205492Members
    The game does need more passive creatures, but I really want more Leviathans!