Build 310 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

1235»

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2016
    Therius wrote: »
    Weren't you supposed to be gone already?

He is waiting to get banned?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited October 2016

Did you really expect that to last?
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Before I started getting forced to Marine all the time (and subsequently complaining about it) hive showed over 95% of my time spent on Aliens...

Don't you always complain how hive doesn't work properly? Well, people like you are the reason. Stay in your goddamn team and matches will be better. No, don't tell me that you don't switch after shuffling, I won't believe you. Either you do or you didn't play alien nearly as much as you claim - which in turn validates 2cough's stats.
    Either way, you lose.

• MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members

I am gone from NS2... it's already uninstalled..

But I still loved the game despite the toxic community, so I will continue posting.

Because, unlike in-game, the toxic individuals can't do anything to me here...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

I am gone from NS2... it's already uninstalled..

But I still loved the game despite the toxic community, so I will continue posting.

Because, unlike in-game, the toxic individuals can't do anything to me here...

I was finally pushed to give up NS2 after 3000+ hours due to how toxic this community has become...
    How ironic
    high skill elitist jerks are saying the problem lies with me. Clearly the problem is them.

(Also why are you still on the forums, then?)

Because the moderators haven't deleted or banned my account yet..

I still love NS2 but too many high skill players are too hostile for me to be able to enjoy it..

And it's not all directed at me either.. There have been countless times just in the past 6-8 months where I've had to tell some elitist to shut up when they're trash talking and/or trying to votekick a rookie who is just trying to learn the game.

So... you love the game, but hate how people interact about it, so you stop playing the game, but stay on the forum, which is basically exclusively people from the game interacting with each other, because you haven't been banned yet?

It's like you WANT to suffer, seriously.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The situation won't be helped if @MoFo1 is tormented wherever they post.

Try to stay on topic everyone.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2016
    maD maX wrote: »
    Hive2- everyone seems to get/lose a different amount of ELO. Some get/lose ALOT some almost none... this brings up the question as to why? We assumed that it was based on contribution

This is roughly* determined by how many games hive2 has seen you in. Your skill updates will be proportional to 1/sqrt(games) + small_number. The lower bound for how much hive2 will update your skill per game is half of what it was for hive1, so players who have played a lot under hive2 will have more stable scores than before.

*In actuality, it's the sum of squared gradients for your skill, so if you joined late, or the game was stacked, it doesn't contribute much to your sum of "games".
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Nordic wrote: »
    A
    As Moultano put it on discord the other day, if your win rate is above 50% then your hive skill will go up until your win rate is at 50%. If your win rate is below 50%, your hive skill will go down until it is at 50%. I am going to assume that since hive 2 was launched you have won more games than lost, and those you saw go down have lost more games than won. Expect large changes to your skill value for the first several games in the new system. It should correct itself over time.

Well, that's not entirely correct as there is no matchmaking and shuffle isn't always used. A lot of the matches recorded in Hive don't have equal teams. The 50% winrate scenario would only happen if the system always decided who plays against who, which is not the case with ns2.

Yeah to be precise, your skill changes until hive's prediction of the probability of winning matches the actual probability of winning on average.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Mouse wrote: »
    The situation won't be helped if @MoFo1 is tormented wherever they post.

Try to stay on topic everyone.

If you think the torment on the forums is bad.. you should see the garbage that made me quit the game...

@F0rdPrefect

The forum is different from the game... People can't scream over a mic at me, or lie to try to have be kicked... Here all they can do is rage post their toxic comp attitudes...

I also go into the game to have fun.. The same is not true of a forum... Plus most of the people here aren't the ones who are super toxic in-game...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2016
    @MoFo1 I think you could probably play the game again if you change your in-game name and don't use a mic. No one would recognize you. Then they wouldn't troll you.

If they still troll you, and you specifically, maybe you are doing something.
    moultano wrote: »
    Yeah to be precise, your skill changes until hive's prediction of the probability of winning matches the actual probability of winning on average.
    Towards the tails, or extremes, of the distribution I think it can certainly be a measure of how hard they can carry or hold back a public team. For example, Wob had a stable hive skill value of about ~4500 while having a 68% win rate.

@MoFo1 I think you could probably play the game again if you change your in-game name and don't use a mic. No one would recognize you. Then they wouldn't troll you.

If they still troll you, and you specifically, maybe you are doing something.

I can't second this enough. Change your name, use teamchat instead of mic, and try playing on servers you usually don't. Some European ones, maybe. Also consider changing your steam name and profile, or using a smurf account. It might really change your perspective on the game.

Oh, and it's a two way street. You tend to be very... enthusiastic when you voice your opinions. I don't know if you are like that ingame, but if you are, it certainly doesn't help.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Using the trigger hand to pull the bolt? :s
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I don't know why people keep complaining that the servers are toxic. Unless you suck at commanding, people usually act pretty decent in-game.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My history of knowing mofo:

As a rookie - this guy is a pretty good bird.

As a vet - this is a decent team. (including mofo)

As a comp player - great we have a dude whose just gonna sit around in a corner and defend a power node while yelling at the team to do something, then rage the second we start losing, and muted.

Change your personality dude and maybe you won't get trolled...
    edited November 2016
    coolitic wrote: »
    I don't know why people keep complaining that the servers are toxic. Unless you suck at commanding, people usually act pretty decent in-game.
    I can see why. It is a common experience to find some random wannabee pro (RWP) who screams, rants, and raves at some silent incompetent player. Yes the player is incompetent, but these RWP's are not even doing anything. It mostly stems out of them feeling like they are losing, not feeling in control, and they can see one guy sitting in a corner defending a powernode. This isn't even that bad though. I can just see why some players would think it is toxic. It is just negative behavior.
    edited October 2016
    random wannabee pro (RMP)

...something doesn't add up there. :P
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    random wannabee pro (RMP)

...something doesn't add up there. :P

Seems he missed the second RMP though....