Flame sentry

KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
edited October 2016 in Modding
Hi,

I have exported and fixed the flame sentries from the Defense mod into a standalone mod for regular NS2 games.
The marine commander is now able to drop sentries as well as flame sentries.

Mod ID: "2ebce6c7"

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=784131783
hlmp1cnbad9l.jpg
s6q4x9jztsr5.png
cr4q7fj30xji.png
pxf1ndbjqy9y.png

Edit: Btw I am looking on a way not to change the game type in the browser (it is displaying FlameSentry instead of ns2 or ns2+)
Switching from game_setup.xml to lua/entry/FS_mod.entry seems to have fixed the issue.

Edit2: It is not fully balanced yet (flame damage, flame range, fire all the time or by burst ?, etc), feedback wanted :)

Comments

• _Grendel__Grendel_ Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204238Members
    edited October 2016
    Make it blow up and catch everything around it on fire when destroyed - friend or foe
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ideas to balance.
    30 tres per flame sentry. Only 1 flame sentry per battery. Can be placed with two other sentries.

I think it should have a relatively short range of 2 skulk body lengths. I think it should be a constant stream of fire if an enemy is within range. Damage should be relatively high but not impossible.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Nordic wrote: »
    Ideas to balance.
    30 tres per flame sentry. Only 1 flame sentry per battery. Can be placed with two other sentries.

I think it should have a relatively short range of 2 skulk body lengths. I think it should be a constant stream of fire if an enemy is within range. Damage should be relatively high but not impossible.

I generally agree, I think damage should be about 1/2 the damage of a marine flamethrower. Constant fire when in range, although with speed of skulk, and other dodging from other classes, i'd say keep the length the same as the marine flamethrower, as they are still avoidable like turrets so that should not make them OP.

• KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited October 2016
    After the testing ingame, the range seems fine (same as the flamethrower), and I reduced damages a lot (see stats below). I am also considering limiting to a single flame sentry per battery to prevent abuse in really small areas but waiting to see more games with them to be sure. So far 6.5 seems a good compromise between the regular sentry damages (could be reduced to 6 but lower it seems not worse it), the flamethrower one and the short range compare to the sentry.

Flame sentries stats:
    * Range: 8
    * Damages: 6
    * Energy damages: 1

Sentries stats (vanilla):
    * Range: 20
    * Damages: 5

Flamethrower stats (vanilla):
    * Range: 9
    * Damages: 8
    * Energy damages: 3

Edit: Forgot the post burning damages of the flame, I moved the damages down to 6.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    an interesting idea is to have the flame sentry built onto the top of the battery, so the battery is a flame turret