Yet another case for coordinates in subs

harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
I've been ragging on the idea that seeing coordinates are is essential part of this game. They should be displayed along with the compass direction. Since so many player want to share their finds, sending coords to friends and posting on the forums is a no-brainer!
Does this make the game "too easy"? No way! This is a big world, and finding your way around "by chance" doesn't even make sense.

And of course one will want to record ones own discoveries and go back. The Buoys are certainly helpful, but not every discovery warrants one.

Comments

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Displaying a map of a 3d world would be incredibly hard. 3d points scattered around a HUD, how do you propose to filter them? I've been playing Space Engineers, which has GPS coordinates on the HUD. And it's getting pretty cluttered, even with them auto-hiding text in an intelligent manner (it's a good system).

If you turn off fog, you can see how it loads in terrain when you move. Attempting to load in many chunks rapidly for a proper map might be a very bad idea.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I don't think anyone really wants a map based off the terrain, but I'm sure it could be done fairly easily if the SeaGlide can generate 3D terrain visuals on the fly. No, what OP and me (and likely others) want is a coordinate display on the HUD, or at least a device that can be equipped similar to the Thermometer or Compass. It's not something that's even needed 100% of the time, just turn it on to get your XYZ coordinates for a point in the game and then turn it back off. It would save the hassle of trying to hobble your way back to find your spot again, or having to carry around excess beacons that clutter your inventory and HUD display.

Also let's be honest... the coordinate system already exists in game, if the console command WARP is any indication. It's just a matter of making it available somehow through the game client itself. :)
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Don't see why it's necessary. There's no ingame reason to need coordinates, and other games that use systems like this (Minecraft is a great example) have them displayed in the debug menu because you don't need them otherwise.
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I don't think anyone really wants a map based off the terrain, but I'm sure it could be done fairly easily if the SeaGlide can generate 3D terrain visuals on the fly. No, what OP and me (and likely others) want is a coordinate display on the HUD, or at least a device that can be equipped similar to the Thermometer or Compass. It's not something that's even needed 100% of the time, just turn it on to get your XYZ coordinates for a point in the game and then turn it back off. It would save the hassle of trying to hobble your way back to find your spot again, or having to carry around excess beacons that clutter your inventory and HUD display.

Also let's be honest... the coordinate system already exists in game, if the console command WARP is any indication. It's just a matter of making it available somehow through the game client itself. :)

THAT might be doable. A display screen with a set of coordinates and a heading to each would be neat. And/or a VR headset that lets you see outside the Cyclops in a enhanced "no-camera" view, with any waypoints displayed on the HUD.

The Seaglide map is very local, it's pulling from already-loaded terrain, just like the Sonar. A larger map would need to be aware of the entire map, in 3d. Seriously, turn off fog via console and you can see what's actually loaded.

I liked the beacons in Minecraft. Beams of light spearing into the heavens. I imagine that would be VERY power intensive (without invoking "it's maaagic" like Minecraft), but having one of those punching up from a Blood Kelp trench helping you navigate if you can see it and/or the sky would be neat. That would need some very rough occlusion to look mostly realistic.
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    All I am suggesting is to display the same coordinates that are shown when you hit F1: 234 23 -1234, etc N/S Depth E/W - a nice panel-meter type display along the bottom edge of the scree. No special 3D graphics - just some simple numbers to be used as the player chooses. Having to go to a debug menu to find where you are is poor game design.

@dealwithitdog: I don't think you've ever played Minecraft with "Rei's Minimap" (or equivalents) as having location info as well as direction makes a HUGE difference in the game. You say you don't see how coordinates are necessary... OK - travel for 3 minutes away from your base - any direction. Take note of what you see - now return to your base. Then do a little fishing or work on the base - change your orientation. NOW - go back and find that spot you went to that is 3 minutes out from your base... Good freekin' luck with out coordinates! The compass will help a little but but you will still struggle - and if the spot you went to had no features - it would be even more impossible to find by "dead reckoning".

Subnautica is an EXPLORATION game in a finite world (unlike space) which has been designed on a Cartesian coordinate grid: 0,0, 0, 0,0 is dead center of this world, at the surface. Coordinates are your Subnautica Friend and need to be readily available - not as an afterthought or hidden on some debug panel.

@Tarkannen: - think it would be just as easy to have them "free running" as in a sort of panel-meter display at the bottom of the screen. In that position, would not distract from the view and always be available as needed, and one less click to turn them on/off.

• MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    edited October 2016
    With your player character's current location displayed in XYZ, you don't even need GPS directional arrows to waypoints. If you wrote down the coordinates of something you wanted to return to, it's not too hard to navigate your way back there just watching the coordinate display. And I agree, this would reduce the need for beacons and clutter.

Combining beacons with another often-requested feature of being able to cycle what is displayed on the HUD would be nice. If the beacons displayed their name along with their coordinates, or distance from them, and could be cycled on and off, navigation would be a lot more friendly.

However, this might go against the dev's desire for you to explore the whole map. Making navigation easier might end up acting like fast travel in big games where you get in the habit of getting "head down" watching the display and not exploring. I know in the real world, as soon as I got a GPS, I promptly lost the ability to navigate on my own, even on simple trips.

If you don't have navigation aids, it forces you to actually commit the map to memory so you can eventually find your way around it like the neighborhood you grew up in. It's very tough starting out, but makes the time commitment much more rewarding when you can recognize individual terrain features and orient yourself automatically. If the devs implemented an in-game coordinate display or waypoint system, I would expect them to make it late-game stuff, by which point you would be navigating well on your own anyway.

Remember, the devs WANT it to be tough starting out, and they want you to experience the stress and nervousness of being hungry, vulnerable, and lost on a big map. The growth involved in learning to fend for yourself, make shelter, and begin to farm excess and stockpile all leads you to have the confidence to strike out and explore more of the world on scouting expeditions.

It has been talked about elsewhere, but plopping down a grow bed and planting kelp vines in it makes an excellent visual marker path system, especially in the dark places, and doesn't clutter the display (except for being able to see them through the terrain because they act just like base pieces). You can start doing this very early on because the scanner is one of the easier pieces of tech to build, and the floating island is accessible almost immediately if you're willing to make the long swim out there.

Cheers,

J
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2016
    How do they create a set of coordinates to map out, when there is no 'Set Point' when your life pod splashes down and the pod is damaged at that point and is also drifting?

Technically, we shouldn't really have a reliable compass, since there's no way to know with our limited tech, if the planet actually has a magnetic North and/or South pole.

For all we know, the lines of magmatism could run horizontally through the planet instead of vertically. and constantly change.

In order for you to have a reliable set of coordinates, you'd have to place markers/becons at a minimum of Four places some distance from the lifepod, to act as ping markers for your computer pad to generate longitudes and latitudes.
    There are no satellites in orbit for us to bounce signals off for GPS and there's no sextant blueprint in the game.
    B)
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    The beacons are already a pretty good navigation system. We just need some minor improvements to them, such as the ability to show/hide them on the HUD (eg. via some options in the PDA).
    Here's a notion. Have the player place a scanner room at a central base in Safe Shallows. Then have them place two special scanning beacons 1000m in two cardinal directions. East/west and north/south, one of each. They're gravity pulses that can be sensed at any range on the map.

Once that is done, the player gets XY coordinates.

A third beacon 1000m opposite those would give XYZ coordinates. Like if you choose west and south, and a third to the northeast, you use the pulses the beacons emit to track your location with gravity GPS.

This reminds me a bit of scanning in EVE Online, where 4 probes can pin down a signature.
    1. One probe gives you a yes/no, that the signature is somewhere inside the sphere.
    2. Two probes gives you a circle in 3d space, the signature is somewhere on the circle.
    3. Three probes narrows the circle to only 2 points, the signature is at one of them.
    4. Four probes nails it down to one point, and then you zero in by using more power from decreased range.

The best part, is that they could hide the coordinates system from the player, and use this in its place, attach the compass and GPS to an arbitrary direction the player chooses. A bit late now, but new players could have fights about which way should be the new North! Mountain? Aurora? Floating island?
    My God - you guys sure want to make an easy task hard!

First - all I'm suggesting is to display coordinates as a running display at the bottom of the screen. No extra clutter, no Buoy-name-distance-data... And don't forget - this IS a game to be enjoyed, and if we can suspend disbelief and allow that a compass "just works" - how does this "spoil" or make the game too easy?

As an exploration game, not having any way to note where you are is just dumb, and does NOT make for a "challenge" but creates endless wasted time trying to get to a previously visited spot. Plus you don't HAVE to use the coords - they are just data.

I've only got about 150 hrs in the game, and I can tell you that aimlessly wandering around, not knowing WHERE you are or if you've been here is NOT fun.

Simply adding the coordinates display would take little coding as they are already being generated. Your choice as to what to use them for, but at least they would be there.
    Or you could just drop beacons.

If you really want coordinates, look in F1. But beacons are the intended method.
    edited October 2016
    It would seem to me that when the Aurora was attacked and started to fall towards the planet, the computer would launch a satellite to enter orbit and broadcast a distress signal for other ships. The game mentions a 'bounceback' signal once the Communications Array is repaired, but if it's being broadcast from the planet's surface instead of from space, then it reduces the chance of the signal realistically being picked up. The story could use this satellite as reason to provide the GPS signal for us to use for coordinates.

Mirality wrote: »
    Or you could just drop beacons. If you really want coordinates, look in F1. But beacons are the intended method.

Beacons are intended to find a location again that you've marked, but it's not ideal for navigating multiple locations. I don't really care to carry 10+ beacons around in my inventory nor have my HUD lit up with blips just to navigate the world. I do use beacons, but I wish they were a bit more informative. The signals the game generates can pinpoint exact coordinates and show us distances, while the beacons we make ourselves can't even do that. It's likely because system-wise signals are coded to show fixed points on the map to give us exact locations. But that doesn't quite make sense gameplay-wise, since there's no indication of a GPS satellite or functional navigational array on the Aurora for the PDA to pinpoint these locations.

Bottom line is the coordinate system already exists in game, so let's merge it into the gameplay. Make a GPS/Radar build option that can be unlocked say, from the Modification Station. This way it doesn't spoil the early game to make it easier but gives us a better late-game option for navigation. Maybe it could tie into the Scanner Room as an upgrade since it seems to have a radar of sorts already for tracking. Just a thought! :)
    I have no problem believing your PDA can inertially plot a grid coordinate system based solely on your movement. We've had inertial navigation since, what, the 1950s? With sufficient advancement, I would believe the PDA in-game would not be as susceptible to inertial drift as our current technology. You wouldn't need a GPS satellite.

This would even make sense for 0,0,0 being very near your spawn point. Your PDA, or the lifepod, could establish the base point upon impact, and every movement since then is plotted from there. You woke up several hours after planetfall, and it's not unbelievable your lifepod could have bounced or drifted before the "gravity tether" thing took hold.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2016
    Essentially, what's being asked for here is a "cheat"...

And there is already one of those in the game..., Hit F1 and yer all set.

B)
    @DaveyNY I'm not asking for a cheat function for the game, as the coordinate function exists already and the game operates off of it as is. You're correct that F1 pulls up a debug screen which shows information such as coordinates, but that's for testing protocol and not part of the normal gameplay functions (as in there's no way to get this information without using the debug screen). It's just bothersome that exploration is key part of the game and yet there's no way to accurately return to points on the map without relying on multiple navigational beacons.

Also like @Mirality said earlier, too many beacons clutter the display HUD. It would be nice if we could toggle beacon pulses on and off to keep the noise down - such as when you no longer need to return to your Lifepod once you're completely self-sufficient with bases.
    OMG! DUDES! - having some data on where you are at any given time is NOT A FREEKIN' CHEAT! They are just a bunch of numbers that only YOU can give meaning to!

@DaveNY - You are missing the point entirely. Going to the debug panel will NOT be part of the finished game. Just give the game some data on where you are, in and of itself is not a cheat. If YOU go out of the game and go to a forum or You Tube and acquire some coordinates of a special place - THEN that may be considered a cheat... it also depends on what you get at the location. If a friend sends a coord of a cool vista that he/she has found - and would like to share it - how in the world is that 'cheating'??!

If you go out of the game to get info on where wrecks and awesome stuff is located - THAT may be considered a cheat. All this also depends on how you define 'pure' in the game... and it IS a game to be enjoyed!

Beacons are great but a bit heavy handed for recording every cool thing you see in the game. Being able to make notes on where you are can be easily done and don't require any extra coding in the game.

Ok - if knowing where you are (by coordinates) is to be considered a 'cheat' - then SEEING where you are (by vision) is an even bigger 'cheat'! I guess to be totally 'pure' in the game we should paint all the view screens black and just ramble around in the dark and get out of the sub from time to time to see if anything interesting has shown up.

Sheesh!
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    I do use beacons, but I wish they were a bit more informative. The signals the game generates can pinpoint exact coordinates and show us distances, while the beacons we make ourselves can't even do that.

Exactly my thoughts on the subject. "Signals" give an exact distance, including the beacon signals to other lifepods. Why can't our OWN lifepod's beacon show distance? Why don't our craftable beacons show distance? Why don't the Seamoth and Cyclops beacons show distance?

I'd feel better about hauling beacons around to mark locations with if the Seamoth had a little of its own built-in storage — INSIDE the Seamoth, accessible while inside the Seamoth, and in it from the start, not an upgrade — that I could carry a few beacons or spare power cells around in until I need them. Four to eight spaces would be plenty. The storage upgrade on the outside should be much larger than it is; if I can carry 48 spaces of stuff in my wetsuit, an outside storage locker bolted onto my Seamoth ought to hold a lot more than four.Even the storage bin in the lifepod holds 32, and it's about the exterior size of the Seamoth's bolt-on locker.
    The prawn has some built-in storage available without upgrades.
    And interestingly, apparently you can only add 1 additional storage module worth two rows, no matter how many of the upgrade slots you fill with storage modules. Thus a problem I ran into as depicted over in the bug forum.
    edited October 2016
    None of the upgrade modules stack, in anything. (Except possibly the scanner room, but that's broken in general anyway.) So I'm reasonably sure that this is intended.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Can't you see your co-ordinates by hitting F1?
    @EnglishInfidel Yeah, you can, but it's already been mentioned above by @harrzack and myself that the current F1 display is for debug use and (most likely) won't be part of the final game. We'd like to be able to know what our position is in game as a natural readout (O2/food/water), via a possible HUD upgrade (compass/thermometer) or some optional base upgrade (scanner room etc).
    There's no particular reason to assume that debug screens will be removed in the final game. Just look at Minecraft.
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    The storage upgrade on the outside should be much larger than it is; if I can carry 48 spaces of stuff in my wetsuit, an outside storage locker bolted onto my Seamoth ought to hold a lot more than four.

...Doh! Of course having now GOTTEN another one, I sheepishly remember that it's not four spaces, it's four by four, sixteen spaces.

...Which, nevertheless, is still only a third of what I can apparently stuff inside my wetsuit.
    There's been a couple of first- and third-person games over the years that allow you to input a code that shows on your character model all of the things you're actually carrying, and it is often as ludicrous as you might imagine. The quartz crystals are each about the size of the player character's torso. I would love to see a depiction of 48 quartz crystals stuck all over him, like a giant swimming blob of quartz. Or an inventory's-full of titanium scrap.

Inventory hammerspace is a gameplay convention with which I have no complaints. Right-sizing for gameplay purposes and internal consistency would be nice, but that's something I leave entirely to the devs to work out according to their plan.
    Mirality wrote: »
    None of the upgrade modules stack, in anything. (Except possibly the scanner room, but that's broken in general anyway.) So I'm reasonably sure that this is intended.

I meant like the storage modules on the Seamoth. You can add 4 of them and get 4 storage compartments, each equal in size. I thought it reasonable to expect the same result on the PRAWN, especially since the storage modules are common and interchangeable between the two vehicles. It might be inappropriate to bring up outdated gameplay mechanics, but until recently, the depth upgrade modules did stack, on both the Seamoth and Cyclops.

Cheers,

J
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Here's a notion. Have the player place a scanner room at a central base in Safe Shallows. Then have them place two special scanning beacons 1000m in two cardinal directions. East/west and north/south, one of each. They're gravity pulses that can be sensed at any range on the map.

Once that is done, the player gets XY coordinates.

A third beacon 1000m opposite those would give XYZ coordinates. Like if you choose west and south, and a third to the northeast, you use the pulses the beacons emit to track your location with gravity GPS.

This reminds me a bit of scanning in EVE Online, where 4 probes can pin down a signature.
    1. One probe gives you a yes/no, that the signature is somewhere inside the sphere.
    2. Two probes gives you a circle in 3d space, the signature is somewhere on the circle.
    3. Three probes narrows the circle to only 2 points, the signature is at one of them.
    4. Four probes nails it down to one point, and then you zero in by using more power from decreased range.

The best part, is that they could hide the coordinates system from the player, and use this in its place, attach the compass and GPS to an arbitrary direction the player chooses. A bit late now, but new players could have fights about which way should be the new North! Mountain? Aurora? Floating island?

You should post that in its own thread.
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    MrRoarke wrote: »
    I have no problem believing your PDA can inertially plot a grid coordinate system based solely on your movement. We've had inertial navigation since, what, the 1950s? With sufficient advancement, I would believe the PDA in-game would not be as susceptible to inertial drift as our current technology. You wouldn't need a GPS satellite.

This would even make sense for 0,0,0 being very near your spawn point. Your PDA, or the lifepod, could establish the base point upon impact, and every movement since then is plotted from there. You woke up several hours after planetfall, and it's not unbelievable your lifepod could have bounced or drifted before the "gravity tether" thing took hold.

This sort of navigation plz. It would make perfect sense. It would seem a believable solution for an Alterra PDA that is set in emergency-mode. In the beginning, in your lifepod, the PDA obviously starts in emergency mode, which could set the 0, 0, 0 coordinates right where the game begins.

Also:
    - Beacons need to show distance
    - We need a way to turn the beacons on/off. Through PDA or a separate base module. Or both, or something.
    edited October 2016
    So in my new playthrough for October, I went through the early game getting resources, unlocking tech and advancing ahead. Once I had my Seamoth built, I went out to the Grand Reef to set up my base. I've found I like it there best; you can find a lot of tech there and in the nearby Sparse Reef, there's a lot of thermal geysers for steady power at the base, plenty of fish for survival and no natural enemies (save for the occasional Warper appearance).

But I was dismayed as this time around I couldn't find the alcove where the thermal vents are for my base! After several minutes searching the area in game (and comparing data online) I found out that the assets didn't load. After quitting and reloading my save file, I was able to find both the Wreck and my lovely alcove with thermal geysers. I decided to log the coordinates so I can find it in future playthroughs: if anyone's interested in the sweet spot, the area is located at coordinates -375.0 -160.0 -725.0.

The point I'm getting at is that while beacons are great for marking points of interest that you come across, they're not great if you're not able to find those areas again easily on future playthroughs (or if something happens and you lose progress in your game). And since the world map doesn't change at all between each new game, it only makes sense to have a better method of navigation to help replayability. If we had in-game access* to coordinates via some method, it would make exploration and navigation more natural. Plus, with coordinate data access you can share map data and points of interest with other people, like I did just now with you guys! :) Please developers, consider this request for an optional coordinate display in a future game update or game tech upgrade. :blush:

*Before it's mentioned again, yes pressing F1 displays debug data including coordinates. It can't be assumed that information will be available once the game officially launches, since it also has access to debug tools and developer gameplay options that shouldn't be available for a retail game.
  • ThosarThosar Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221302Members
    it makes no sense to have a better method of navigation to hurt replayability.

Fixed.

Knowing exactly where things are hurts replayability, and prevents exploring
    a second time and rediscovering wonderful places.
    edited October 2016
    Thosar wrote: »
    Knowing exactly where things are improves immersion, and allows exploring
    a second time and rediscovering wonderful places.

Also fixed.

I understand your point and agree with you, but even without exact navigation the game still plays similarly every time. The Aurora always crashes in the same spot, and technology fragments/creatures/wrecks are always found in the same biomes. If the game had the terrain to be procedurally generated and everything was loaded randomly with each new playthrough, I would be fine without coordinates. However, since that isn't the case (of which I'm fine with it being as it is) and biomes/wrecks/bases are always found in the same place with every playthrough, predetermined pathing is going to happen to every player eventually at some point.

That's why I say make coordinate displays an optional upgrade for players that want it, and those that don't want it can just ignore it. You don't have to have a Compass or a Thermometer to enjoy the game, but they're very nice features which help add to the gameplay value.