A Natural Selection 1 mod of NS2

RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
edited October 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
I tried to play Natural Selection 1 again for nostalgia, but unfortunately found no one plays it anymore.
You can't even download it from the official website and the forums have been disabled.

I think it would be great fun to be able to play NS1 in the NS2 engine. I don't want to stop playing NS2 and replace it with NS1, I'm just saying they are both very different games with different strategies and tactics, so I would enjoy being able to play NS1 for a change of pace and to experience some of those classic NS1 style battles.

You could use all the assets currently in the game, requiring very little new things to be created.
-Remove powernodes.
-Bring bad old balance, old abilities, old mechanics for weapons, buildings, hives, upgrades, and evolutions. Almost all of this would not require new assets to the game, but simply tweaking what is there.
-Remove all weapons/abilities/structures unique to NS2.
-Robotics factory becomes the turret factory. Siege turrets are built as the deployed form of the Arc.
-Turret limits removed.
-Building limits removed.
-Use the Deluxe skin as the base marine light armor model because it looks more like NS1 marines. Use the Assault elite skin as the Heavy marine model. Unique marine models would be disabled for this mod so that we can recreate the light and heavy armor distinctions.
-Make some of the vents and doors weldable (this would be one of the few things that would not be a simple tweaking of existing data).
-Aliens no longer have commander. Gorge builds everything from a menu.
-You can cause alien buildings to naturally spread creep around them, as though they were a cyst, just for atmospherics. It would have not have a functional role beyond looking cool.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2016
    First of all you can still download ns1 from here: http://sllegacy.unknownworlds.com/files/ns/ns_install_v32.exe . The normal link somehow broke for modern browser when the website got migrated to new servers in 2012.

Secondly the Natural Selection forum is still avaible at http://forums.unknownworlds.com/categories/natural-selection

And lastly xDragon started a ns1 mod for ns2 called ns2:classic a long time ago that just never went popular and now needs somebody else to maintain it https://github.com/xToken/NS2c

PS: ns1 is even available for Linux these days via https://github.com/fmoraw/NS/ ;)
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Look i don't mind teaming up with 1-2 other people atleast if you want to get it off the ground, i can do all the sounds/maps, animations/models for conversion, it's just that i need the coders to get the physics and or movement correct, what a pain in the ass that is, i am slowly working on all the assets but that takes time.

A few years ago there was a mod called marine/movement classic that actually felt pretty good, it was very smiliar to NS1 you could double jump and you had air control values similar to that of NS1 (it was using ported goldsrc movement, different then the NS2C mod)
  • RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
    edited October 2016
    It hadn't yet occured to me about replicating movement physics as well.
    I would be content to start off by just replicating ability and weapon behavior/stats, along with building mechanics, and then go from there to see what else can be done. I would even do as much as I could to avoid the need for new animations and models as much as possible, focused primarily on the replication of NS1 gameplay.

If we could have a dedicated server for it that allowed for people to download the mod as they try to join the server, then perhaps more people would play it.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2016
    No they wouldn't it was tried with NS2C people just complained that the physics and the models weren't there. damage values were trialed for a while and were changed to better suit NS2, there was even an option for Classic movement which could be toggled, however it wasn't like NS1 movement at all simply due to the code just not being there. edit:That and some people making mods decide to change/tweak things themselves to what they think a better version should be but it actually feels like crap(in the case of tb's skulk movement mod)

Successful mod would have had a chance if it was released maybe 3 years ago with all models and simply just bunnyhop + marine doublejump/wiggle walking/sliding off walls.

However in saying that, the main problem is that NS1 was way to fast paced for the modern shooters, i simply play NS with NS2 players and destroy them because they don't know how to react in time,