Glass roof

Comments

• dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    sabin77 wrote: »
    BENSKI wrote: »
    xry6ira1v06q.png

Seriously @sabin77, don't be so pushy. It's not fair for the developers.

The ball is in their court now. Have some patience.

I'm just ask if there any word from the great developers

if there is one itll probably be in this thread, so chill
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    If you're "just" asking over and over again, in more than just this one dedicated thread, almost every single day, then you are being pushy. You asked, that's enough, now wait patiently for an answer until it comes. Or not.

• sabin77sabin77 edmonton Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207081Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    If you're "just" asking over and over again, in more than just this one dedicated thread, almost every single day, then you are being pushy. You asked, that's enough, now wait patiently for an answer until it comes. Or not.

I'm sorry don't mean to be push, I just got to know, it driving me nuts.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Fantastic both of you.

The glass dome would be the cheapest way to get some kind of glass dome or bigger greenhouse.

And a giant planter base together with a full multi story MP tower allows to fit the big plants inside.

I'd love to have a tower representing each Subnautica biome.
    Anyway, so what if you build a reinforce top on your base just like the have a reinforced plate for walls. it would be interesting.
    Captagear wrote: »
    Fathom wrote: »
    where does this leave the observatory? What purpose does it give that a multipurpose room does not?
    DagothUr wrote: »
    Thing is... once you've added eight glass walls, a glass roof and a glass floor you've just made the observation room completely redundant.]

Umm why do a lot of people seem to think this would be the case? Off the top of my head, I can think of three advantages to building an observatory if this feature was implemented:
    1. The observatory is a compact design made of enamelled glass, hence it only reduces integrity by 3. A large room, however, made of glass roofs, ground pieces, and windows would not make sense to be nearly as stable. Just make the roof and ground components subtract alot of interity. Simples :)
    2. The observatories are more compact and can placed better in some scenarios (where two rooms wont fit).
    3. aesthetically it would look a lot niftier (imo) to a massive glass room.

-Capta

p.s. don't eat me alive, I know how passionate some people can get on these ideas haha :)

But people do want it and you don't have to build it if you don't want to, and observatory is too small in my opinion.
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    where does this leave the observatory? What purpose does it give that a multipurpose room does not?
    Thing is... once you've added eight glass walls, a glass roof and a glass floor you've just made the observation room completely redundant.]

Umm why do a lot of people seem to think this would be the case? Off the top of my head, I can think of three advantages to building an observatory if this feature was implemented:
    1. The observatory is a compact design made of enamelled glass, hence it only reduces integrity by 3. A large room, however, made of glass roofs, ground pieces, and windows would not make sense to be nearly as stable. Just make the roof and ground components subtract alot of interity. Simples :)
    2. The observatories are more compact and can placed better in some scenarios (where two rooms wont fit).

-Capta

p.s. don't eat me alive, I know how passionate some people can get on these ideas haha :)

But people do want it and you don't have to build it if you don't want to, and observatory is too small in my opinion.

I think you are missing my point... I am saying I think that this could work without making the observatory useless, as in it would still have its place as a base component.

-Capta

I think you are missing my point... I am saying I think that this could work without making the observatory useless, as in it would still have its place as a base component.

it not a bad thing to have choice in games, glass dome or observatory take your pick.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I just want something without the extra panel at the top - so you can look up without looking through two panes of glass.
  • Cynical_ScrubCynical_Scrub England Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214540Members
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    @BENSKI
    Perhaps the roof should remain without until you build something in the center, Upon which the center 'pillar' with the spokes appears, But only as structure and without extra glass..
    The point of the glass roof is to create an open atmosphere after all, and if its just gonna have a ceiling as low as the standard one its not gonna make it much less claustrophobic.
  • BENSKIBENSKI Join Date: 2016-08-07 Member: 221063Members
    Perhaps the roof should remain without until you build something in the center, Upon which the center 'pillar' with the spokes appears, But only as structure and without extra glass.

That's an interesting idea, but it would mean that you could only build a glass roof in rooms where there was already something in the middle of the MPR ... which to me seems too restrictive.

A better idea would be that the glass roof automatically constructs a pillar in the center of the MPR to act as structural support which is simply overwritten when you build a bioreactor or any of the other centrally oriented appliances in the base:

bh7d1cq7u7dv.png

Vice versa, if you have already built a nuclear reactor, aquarium etc. then the roof just builds without adding a central column.

However, I can see how adding a central column by default might be problematic as it would clip through other appliances and objects which are not centrally-oriented but just happen to be built in the centre of the room ...

Then again, that might be OK so long as it doesn't restrict how appliances can be built, and players can build around or through the column as they please:

4s4qbvda2s2l.png

Appliances such as the interior planter may even act to nicely conceal the column.

It would be even more aesthetically pleasing if the column acted as a light source so that it had a more decorative and functional purpose:

qy246iqfzadl.png

^^^ This would be about as big as the column could get before it starts excessively clipping into things ... but it wouldn't need to be any bigger in my mind.
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    @BENSKI
    Oh, There appears to be a miscommunication. What i intended was that if you don't construct anything in the middle then you'll just have a domed roof without the supports, And not that you can only construct it if there is something in the middle. : )
    (_[) >not: (]_[) .
    These designs are amasing but the pillar is a bad idea
    Any word from the dev.
    Any word from the dev.

You gotta chill out. This probably isn't high on the priority list.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    They're buried pretty deep in getting the story, lost river, and lava zones working so it'll be a bit until they can get around to quality of life stuff again I'd imagine.
    Ralij wrote: »
    They're buried pretty deep in getting the story, lost river, and lava zones working so it'll be a bit until they can get around to quality of life stuff again I'd imagine.

true but they could give a yes or no on this matter.
    Ralij wrote: »

true but they could give a yes or no on this matter.

Even an answer isn't high on their priority list, nor should it be. This is a pretty insignificant thing, and I'd be surprised if they answered anytime soon.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    xry6ira1v06q.png

9jpat6c4ti58.jpg
    I'm sorry for this or am I?
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    xry6ira1v06q.png

9jpat6c4ti58.jpg
    I'm sorry for this or am I?

That Gasopod is a spy!
    edited October 2016
    jpinard wrote: »
    Sabin - you have to understand how game development works. I'm sure hey looked at that and said, "ohhh nice we'd like to do that!" But they can't say "yes" because they have to finish all their other work first and it may not make it into the game. And if they say "No" then people can be disappointed and wonder why developers won't go the extra mile. If they pay a bunch of attention and don't say either way, and there are nasty bigs in next version people would say, why were you wasting time looking at future stuff not critical to the game while letting all these gamebreaking bugs in". At this stage of the game unless they'd already designed it, this can just be a lose-lose for them to comment on.

And maybe... a pioneering modder could add it to the game, and they would not want to dissuade someone from trying it themselves with a maybe answer. The idea though is beautiful.

I'm sorry for the trouble, this game is wonderful, all I want was to try to get the glass roof in the game,is that so wrong. sure I was persistence about but I wasn't mean about it.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    I just want something without the extra panel at the top - so you can look up without looking through two panes of glass.

That might not be a good idea.

If the glass roof was only the outer curved surface of the MPR it would mean the interior roof surface would no longer be flat ... which would make appliances such as the bioreactor, nuclear reactor and the large aquarium abruptly end in the middle of the room which would be very unappealing.

If the glass roof or glass floor is to be deployed, it needs to preserve the position of the roof and the floor in the generic MPR so that the dimensions don't change.

xufkcwv5sofq.png

As I posted earlier, the current observatory model uses a double-pane glass roof and floor design. Using a similar structure for a MPR glass roof/floor would ensure aesthetic consistency.
    ij6a1ibsrm99.jpg

In addition, the double-pane structure makes the glass roof/floor look more robust and better suited for coping with exterior water pressure than a single curved glass pane.

Further, adapting this already existing model would potentially mean less work for the developers if they choose to deploy this feature ...

PS: Hi developers :)

One solution might be to retain the beams from the structure... but not have panes on the inner beams... The framework can still be there... it just doesn't all need to be covered in reflective glass...
  • BENSKIBENSKI Join Date: 2016-08-07 Member: 221063Members
    edited October 2016
    Avimimus wrote: »
    One solution might be to retain the beams from the structure... but not have panes on the inner beams... The framework can still be there... it just doesn't all need to be covered in reflective glass...

That's certainly an option ... the extra glass pane would still be needed if the glass "floor" was implemented, obviously.

At the moment, glass is not rendered to be reflective or shiny and I'm pretty sure that windows are transparent (at least when viewing them from the interior of the base) ... so worrying about whether or not there are extra "reflective glass" panes might be a mute point in the end ...
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    From passed experience it's really hard to get the devs to chime in on an idea such as this.

You got to look at it from thier view.

1) if they did decide to comment on this topic or more specifically this post, there could end up being rampant speculations that they are indeed putting glass roofs into the game

1.5) when people find out that they are infact NOT being implemented people start posting down the devs throats demand in to know why not.. then people start quoting the devs responses to the original thread ( this one to be exact )

2) say the devs are working on this idea right now as we speak but it's not working right or they just don't have the time to devote to the project at the moment, and they hint at this project is under way.. that leads to even more people posting down their throats asking when when when..

My case and point to this happens to be in my eyes the biggest controversial topic on this forum... multiplayer.

basically from the moment it was talked about people where asking/demanding if,when and where! almost weekly new threads where sprouting up about the topic.. every time a new patch or update came about or was announced it ended up turning into a multiplayer thread, in stead of the topic at hand.. just recently it was announced that this iteration of subnautica will not have multiplayer.. which lead to the posting down thier throats asking why not? people claiming the devs lied to them..others demanding they reconsider..

lmao sorry for rambling.. this was a very long winded way of being in agreement with @BENSKI.. just relax and wait and see what the devs say about it.. they are gearing up for another update, and are getting closer ( from what it looks like ) to the full launch!!

And my experience with this is, beginning of summer I posted 6 or 7 of my own designs / blueprints that I had a blast creating, as much as I would have loved to have the devs comment on them, I came to realize what I had write above!

Getting people's responses to what I had posted was great thing in its own! AND who's to say the devs have not seen your blueprint up there and are talking about it behind the scenes ;) lol that's what I told my self haha
    any word on dev opinion on glass roofs.
This discussion has been closed.