YANT -(Yet Another New Tool)

harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
With the proliferation of Large Resource Nodules, it might be useful to have some sort of manual 'nodule-cracker' (reminiscent of a... nut-cracker!). While these LRN's are intended for the drill update of the PRAWN unit, it should be useful to have an alternative (but less efficient) way to gather these riches.

How about a LRN Hammer? Useful for only wacking LRN's - and breaking them into normal Basic Materials. It is a PITA to have to carry an extra tool but could be handy stashed in Seamoth Storage on in a Cyclops locker.

I haven't got the PRAWN drill yet so don't know if it will break them up or what... But something for those crazy days when the PRAWN in in the shop or you forgot it... B)

Comments

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    That's like 80% of the point of the PRAWN. The other 20% is punching things with the claw and picking up loot. For drill/claw combo anyway.

How would making the drill arm obsolete help gameplay? You already have to sit there chewing away at the nodes, it's not especially fast. Anything faster means that a Seamoth is better, and anything slower is nearly useless.
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    Ah - shudda waited till I tried the drill arm. Didn't realize it was already slow. Just saw all that good loot sitting around and wishing for a way to get some of it. :(
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I just recently got my first Prawn(and drill arm) and it made a world of difference. I think it would change the experience too much to make these lootable before getting it.
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    @narfblat - that makes sense. Guess I'll have to start working on the PRAWN.
    Yeah, you basically have to use claw/drill for that. And storage modules don't seem to stack on the PRAWN. And you have to unload manually, and cannot access PRAWN storage while the Cyclops is holding it.

The propulsion arm can't actually pick things up, nor can the grapple. At least the claw punch is one of the best ways of applying hurt to anything that comes within reach. Warpers go away right fast if you rush and whap them in the nose before they can try and teleport you out. You only get the one hit in, though.
  • P4R4D0X1C4LP4R4D0X1C4L Louisiana, USA Join Date: 2016-10-13 Member: 223086Members
    Honestly I use the drill more for offense. I fought one of the Sea Dragon Leviathans using the Punch-Drill combo while I had him in stasis. He went down pretty fast. The only pain in the fight is dealing with the annoying Lava Lizards
    I'm fairly certain that using 2 punch arms would do more DPS, but have not actually tested it much. I've killed a glitched Reefback and a few sharks, and the drill always seemed to take longer than just claw punches.