ns2_trash

KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
edited September 2017 in Mapping
The time has come to unveil.... trash... *\o/*

This is a custom map i've been working on, the hope is that the map will play similarly to maps like Jambi or Tram, but with a hint of pinwheel to it too.

The theme of the map is a waste disposal facility.

Layout:
coxIcHe.jpg

The map can be found here

Mod id - 2e57564f

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Looking forward to seeing how this plays! Judging solely from the minimap though, central makes me nervous. Looks like a VERY important room. That route heading east out of central might need to be moved to connect eastern to east routing. Just a prediction though... best wait for actual playtest results.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing how this plays! Judging solely from the minimap though, central makes me nervous. Looks like a VERY important room. That route heading east out of central might need to be moved to connect eastern to east routing. Just a prediction though... best wait for actual playtest results.

Definitely an interesting idea I will keep in mind. I think Central will be an important room, I hope it isn't ridiculously imbalanced from the start, but i'm prepared to make pretty large changes if needed... we are in layout testing after all XD
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    It looks unique, looking forward to more updates.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    xtcmen wrote: »
    It looks unique, looking forward to more updates.

HE LIVES! HELIVESHELIVESHELIVESHELIVES!!!
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited October 2016
    Changelog:

- Started basic detailing in north-west RT
    - Added connection from east routing to eastern RT
    - Added additional ceiling cover in eastern RT
    - Added ceiling cover and props to the hallway connection Eastern RT, Far east and south east TP.
    - Added a vent connecting Eastern RT, Far east and the hallway that connects the two.
    - Increased the floor height of half of Far East.

Thanks to everyone that has provided feedback so far, keep it coming, its really helpful!
    edited October 2016
    Changelog:

Basic Detailing on the hallway between marine start and southern expansion.
    South Routing has been rebuilt from scratch.
    Alien Expansion has been rebuilt from scratch. (Thank you @Mephilles )
    Altered the connection from east routing to eastern RT.
    edited March 2017
    Changelog -

- Altered the entrances (and connecting rooms) to North West RT
    - Continued to do some basic detailing
    - Fixed some commander invisible and pathing issues throughout the map
    - Added a few props to marine start
    - rerouted the connection from north west RT to north west TP (now called "the pass")

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please note that all areas that are detailed are still in very early detailing stages.
    Everything can and likely will be changed by the time the map is "released"
    edited March 2017
    Changelog -

- Rebuilt West routing from scratch.
    - Renamed west routing to "routing".
    - Added basic detailing to some of east routing.
    - Altered the lighting of the whole map to stop it being so dark and flat.
    - Fixed some commander invisible issues.
    edited September 2017
    Here are a few teaser screenshots of the next update. mostly theme and basic detailing work. Enjoy.

Pics no longer exist...
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I think you should rename the map, because this, Sir, doesn't look like trash at all.
    Get this ready for sunday!
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Well @pSyk0mAn it depends on how fast I get my work done. Hopefully will be ready for sunday
    edited September 2017
    Mephilles wrote: »
    Well @pSyk0mAn it depends on how fast I get my work done. Hopefully will be ready for sunday

There is no "Hopefully" meph, i've been waiting for you to do that 1 room for months, i've managed to rebuild, theme and texture 4 whole rooms and redo the lighting of the whole map in that time... c'mon man, get yo shit together! :P
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

But yeah, as meph has said above. I'm just waiting on him to finish work on central and then i'll do commander invis etc, the map WILL be published by sunday SCC... I'll make sure of it.
    edited September 2017
    Changelog:

Rooms are now named (testing and mo0h are temporary names)

A minor layout change has split the middle of the map a little to make it less marine OP
    Central has been rebuilt from scratch (thanks Meph)
    South routing has been rebuilt from scratch
    Applied basic detailing to the rooms formally known as, east routing, eastern RT and south east TP.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Played my first game on it today and I'm glad you are doing something about the middle of the map.
    Other than that it looked solid.
    pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    Played my first game on it today and I'm glad you are doing something about the middle of the map.
    Other than that it looked solid.

well, I released the big change 4 - 5 hours ago, so its possible that you played the updated version... was the center of the map a blueish colour with insanely basic textures?

so, if you played on the updated version, do you think central needs updating more? if so in what way? (you'll also notice your own influence on Trashs most recent update... it is pretty obvious XD )
    Here's my POV of ns2_trash from today's playtesting:
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Map is looking pretty good so far, but man you need to remove those vents in that TP room. Or at least make them marine accessible. There's no point in playing much further right now, because they completely break the map. (Marines can't hold anything in there.)
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Map is looking pretty good so far, but man you need to remove those vents in that TP room. Or at least make them marine accessible. There's no point in playing much further right now, because they completely break the map. (Marines can't hold anything in there.)

He means the north-west TP. We were forced to relocate there after a baserush, and our slim chance of coming back evaporated when two gorges appeared in each vent and pwnd our structures :D
    edited March 2017
    To be honest, The north-west techpoint is currently an experiment (and the main reason its called "testing") in all likelihood, it will be totally revamped if it doesn't work as it is, and based on what i've just heard (and now have seen)... it doesn't.

Also, the minimap is equal in all directions beige (relating to what you said in the video) so, I'm not sure what i'm supposed to do to change the sync :/ (the hole that is in routing has been fixed for the next build, which shouldn't be too long away)

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kasharic wrote: »
    To be honest, The north-west techpoint is currently an experiment (and the main reason its called "testing") in all likelihood, it will be totally revamped if it doesn't work as it is, and based on what i've just heard (and now have seen)... it doesn't.

I wouldn't say that yet. We haven't really played the map yet at all.
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Kasharic wrote: »

I wouldn't say that yet. We haven't really played the map yet at all.

yeah, but from watching, I saw a lot of issues or maybe "potential" issues that haven't arisen yet. The vents are nasty, but moving them down to the floor would likely fix that for the most part, they would still function the same, but they would prevent that situation occuring again. and thats what i'm going to try first. mainly because i'm working on the other side of the map at the moment trying to get rid of the blue-lighting Grey walled rooms, making them thematically the same as the rest of the map so that it isn't so jarring moving from room to room.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited March 2017
    @BeigeAlert in your video I heard someone complaining about teammates not showing on the minimap. This hapens on trash, jambi and mesh now. Is it known why that happens so far?
    Mephilles wrote: »
    @BeigeAlert in your video I heard someone complaining about teammates not showing on the minimap. This hapens on trash, jambi and mesh now. Is it known why that happens so far?

No, not a clue why that happens. :( I'll investigate when I get some time.
    edited March 2017
    This is my entity setup:
    RLw9CXO.jpg

Make sure the location entities are high enough and cover everything in the map (they are huge in my map).
    Don't forget commander_camera.

In the readyroom i put:
    -fog_control
    -gamerules
    -pathing
    -skybox
    plus all the readyroom entities needed of course
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    Why do you have pathing in the ready room?
    It doesnt matter where you put those 4 entities, but they are global entities and I like to put them in ready room to find them easily or have other mappers find them easily.
    Nothing more annoying than checking out another map and flying through it searching for that pathing entity in a random room.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    I thought you meant the actual pathing nav mesh stuff. Cant you use the auto pathing thing in Spark to generate it now instead?
    edited March 2017
    Changelog:

Altered the vents in Testing, should no longer be so easy for aliens to assault in the event of a marine relocate.
    Removed the underfloor vent in Transfer.
    Added vent from Routing to Transfer.
    Rebuilt Mo0H from scratch and renamed to Waste Pipes.
    Replaced a few props in The Pass to make the room less strong for marines.
    Played one round of trash today, here's my pov: