Speculation: What do you think the edible fauna tastes like?

LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
So... peepers, bladderfish, boomerangs, garryfish... How do you think they would taste if you were to do so in our reality?

I'm guessing... like tuna. Except the Peeper since I don't eat eyeballs of any sort...

Comments

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Chicken... just like Frogs Legs.
    B)
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Chicken... just like Frogs Legs.
    B)

And I always thought that tuna were the chicken of the sea. :)
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    I feel like they would taste like Banana Smoothies :)
    I have a problem.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    The only fish that actually tastes like fish is salted Hoopfish. The rest ranges from beef jerky (salted Bladderfish) to cottage cheese (Reginald). Cuisine in Subnautica tastes all kinds of weird. Personally, I think the most solid is Hoverfish.
  • BloodGod22BloodGod22 England Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219708Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    The only fish that actually tastes like fish is salted Hoopfish. The rest ranges from beef jerky (salted Bladderfish) to cottage cheese (Reginald). Cuisine in Subnautica tastes all kinds of weird. Personally, I think the most solid is Hoverfish.

All salted fish tastes like crap. Why not just kill some skyrays and fry them up? THey probably do taste like chicken, since, you know, they're birds.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    BloodGod22 wrote: »

All salted fish tastes like crap. Why not just kill some skyrays and fry them up? THey probably do taste like chicken, since, you know, they're birds.
    Considering they're from the ray family, their flesh is most likely highly poisonous.

I think Hoverfish is the only one tasting better salted and Occolus is the only one to improve in taste as the salt covers the sulfurous aftertaste. Then there's the Hoopfish, which actually tastes like fish and Holefish turns into jelly, which may be an improvement.

Reginald and especially Eyeeye may be the most foul tasting foodstuff available on the planet.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Considering the hoverfish, despite the name, looks more like a little lizard, if ANY of the edible fauna in the game tastes like chicken it's probably the hoverfish.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I would imagine cured boomerang to taste a bit like tørrfisk (or stockfish in english). In case you don't know, it's a norwegian delicacy from the Lofoten islands. Every winter, millions of arctic cod migrate south from their feeding grounds in the high north, southwards to their breeding grounds around the Lofoten islands. The local Norwegians take advantage of this massive frenzy and catch hundreds of fish each winter. Then, they cut them to form a sort of hook, and hang them on wooden logs to dry out in the sun.
    T%C3%B8rrfisk.jpg
    Hjell-oversikt.arj.jpeg
    The fish spend the entire spring hanging out to dry. The drying of food is the world's oldest known preservation method, and dried fish has a storage life of several years. Once the summer arrives, the fish are taken down. The result looks like this:
    Stockfisch.wmt.jpg
    Then, the fish are taken down and cut, and you finish with slices of this:
    buwad%20copy.jpg
    The result is a sort of dry, flaky and slightly salty fish which you can eat directly from the packet. That's how I imagine cured boomerang tastes like.
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix Florida Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215511Members
    rubbery and mostly tasteless like all seafood tastes like to me. especially with no spices.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Hoverfish tooltip says something about firm reptillian flesh so I imagine it tastes something like gator.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    The Spadefish tooltip says it's extremely salty. I'd imagine it tasting like fishy beef jerky. I think the reginald would probably taste a bit like fried cod...
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    The Spadefish tooltip says it's extremely salty.

Well that and people get really salty over the spadefish.

And I'd imagine everything tasting like sausage, for some reason... And garlic...

HYBRID1313 wrote: »
    I feel like they would taste like Banana Smoothies :)
    I have a problem.

Maybe it's the psychological trauma of being trapped all alone on an alien ocean planet?

So anyways... which fish tastes like bacon? I'd guess the Reaper Leviathan if it was edible and not dangerous...
    edited October 2016
    If the Reaper Leviathan tasted like bacon after I've been trapped on an alien planet for who knows how long I WILL find a way to kill and fry one. Stalker cavalry charge perhaps.
  • BloodGod22BloodGod22 England Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219708Members

Considering they're from the ray family, their flesh is most likely highly poisonous.

I think Hoverfish is the only one tasting better salted and Occolus is the only one to improve in taste as the salt covers the sulfurous aftertaste. Then there's the Hoopfish, which actually tastes like fish and Holefish turns into jelly, which may be an improvement.

Reginald and especially Eyeeye may be the most foul tasting foodstuff available on the planet.

I'm talking about the birds flying in the sky and around Mountain Island. They're not fish, but avian.
    edited October 2016

I'm talking about the birds flying in the sky and around Mountain Island. They're not fish, but avian.

I think it's quite possible that they're rays that have evolved to live on land. Like the dinosaurs that have evolved into the very birds we have today. :)
    Ralij wrote: »
    If the Reaper Leviathan tasted like bacon after I've been trapped on an alien planet for who knows how long I WILL find a way to kill and fry one. Stalker cavalry charge perhaps.

And if this happens, the day will come when the Reapers will run from tiny humans because it tasted like what humans love the most... scary...
  • randomstrangerrandomstranger somewhere Join Date: 2016-10-10 Member: 223020Members
    who cares about fish, i mean, just look at the size of the eggs, imagine how that would taste

also, what might crash taste like?
    probably horrible, but, theres only one way to find out
    How would Crash eggs taste like? If real life rotten eggs that explode are any indication...

Lonnehart wrote: »
    And if this happens, the day will come when the Reapers will run from tiny humans because it tasted like what humans love the most... scary...

Yep, never underestimate the power of hunger and bacon! On the plus side, being a high quality food source would guarantee their survival as a species. You will survive... so I can eat you later!

Humanity is so quirky sometimes.

• TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited October 2016
    Let's not neglect the flora side of things! Lantern Fruit is likely sweet like nectarine, Jaffa Cup is creamy like a marshmallow puff, Marblemelon is tangy and tart, while the Chinese Potato probably tastes like squash (the Personal Digital Assitant likes to have fun at the player's expense).

But my real reason for posting is for the Creepvine! It's unremarkable and possibly bland, but if it's like our kelp or seaweed... Take some fresh cut up Peeper and Boomerang, toss in some diced Crashfish Egg and Eye Stalk stems, wrap it up in some strips of Creepvine Sample, and then you'll have some of the most delectable alien sushi! :love:
    I wonder what a Floater tastes like...

???...

Never mind, I just had visions of this...

<chuckle>
    >:)
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    I would imagine that most of the fish in subnautica would have a really sharp, hard to swallow taste due to bioluminescent chemicals in their body, among other things. I can't imagine a peeper or any of the other "eye" fish being very satisfying, what with soft slimy eyes making up 70% of its body mass. And to be honest, I really feel like a vast majority of the fish on the planet would be poisonous to eat, bioluminescent chemicals aren't safe for consumption and that's a staple of fauna on the planet.
  • SGTChuckSGTChuck Sup. I like to chill. And yell "WHAT" at my TV screen. Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219590Members
    Fluffers wrote: »
    I would imagine that most of the fish in subnautica would have a really sharp, hard to swallow taste due to bioluminescent chemicals in their body, among other things. I can't imagine a peeper or any of the other "eye" fish being very satisfying, what with soft slimy eyes making up 70% of its body mass. And to be honest, I really feel like a vast majority of the fish on the planet would be poisonous to eat, bioluminescent chemicals aren't safe for consumption and that's a staple of fauna on the planet.

Fabricator removes chemicals when fish are cooked
  • SGTChuckSGTChuck Sup. I like to chill. And yell "WHAT" at my TV screen. Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219590Members
    Anyway I think peepers would taste like BBQ... Garyfish like chicken. And hover fish.... uhh.... feet? Like fried eggs
    edited October 2016
    I would imagine that most of the fish in subnautica would have a really sharp, hard to swallow taste.
    I think thats just fish in general. Except cod, after its been beer battered and fried.

Perhaps make the batter from voxel flour with a hit of fermented hanging fruit and fry the peeper in creepvine oil. We have potatoes too so perhaps adding some vodka sauce to different recipes. Bulbo tree sap may be usable to craft into rum (besides, we're stranded in the ocean and whats an ocean adventure without a bottle o' rum?) and for use as a sweetener. Better yet, we can make jam out of the various things.

Maybe creepvine oil works as a cooking oil for frying. Perhaps it works as a preservative to turn other plants into medicinals (perhaps voxel flowers have a similar effect as chamomile?) We have plenty of quartz and a fabricator to make the appropriate bottles. This is not mentioning the zillion ways there are to eat potatoes.

There's also a potential food source in things we can't pick up or plant in game. The grasses found on the island may very well be edible in the same way that wheat, oxalis, or dandelion are. There's enough of it that you'd have found a substitute for wheat so long as you're the only person on that island.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    I would imagine that most of the fish in subnautica would have a really sharp, hard to swallow taste.
    Bulbo tree sap may be usable to craft into rum (besides, we're stranded in the ocean and whats an ocean adventure without a bottle o' rum?)

Ahahahaha! I can just imagine it's only a matter of time until our survivor is sporting an eyepatch, swinging from the conning tower of the cyclops with some bulbo tree rum or distilled creepvine wine...
    Hummmmnnnn....

I'll be the bioreactor would make a fantastic still!
    B)
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Hummmmnnnn....

I'll be the bioreactor would make a fantastic still!
    B)

Maybe if we ask the devs nicely all this could happen? Though something tells me they'll have something to say about alcohol consumption in the game...