Why can't I make self-charging power cells?

ImmortalHunterImmortalHunter Surrey BC Canada Earth Join Date: 2016-10-04 Member: 222853Members
Please Devs let us make self-charging power cells or at least let us take them out of the life pod.
I don't see why not.

Comments

• CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    I'm sorry but I don't think that power cells can charge themselves. I'm pretty sure in the life pod, they are solar powered. If you have solar panels on your base, and set up a powercell charger, that's as close as they come. You cant just hold a powercell and expect it to charge itself.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Please Devs let us make self-charging power cells or at least let us take them out of the life pod.
    I don't see why not.

Oh, this is an easy one. I'll tell you exactly why not: it would make every single other power source obsolete. Instead of nuclear, or bioreactor, people would just stack up zero-effort self-chargers. And if they ignored depth, they would be used deep as well. And they would function in cold areas, so no need to put thermal gens near a vent and send the power over to a base in, say, Lost River.

That, and they're really just solar panels hardwired into the pod.
  • ImmortalHunterImmortalHunter Surrey BC Canada Earth Join Date: 2016-10-04 Member: 222853Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    I don't see why not.

Oh, this is an easy one. I'll tell you exactly why not: it would make every single other power source obsolete. Instead of nuclear, or bioreactor, people would just stack up zero-effort self-chargers. And if they ignored depth, they would be used deep as well. And they would function in cold areas, so no need to put thermal gens near a vent and send the power over to a base in, say, Lost River.

Ok but why not just let us make them on a mod bench?
    Why not just make it really hard to find the blueprints?
  • IlexLegionIlexLegion Join Date: 2016-09-21 Member: 222475Members
    Why not make them rechargeable cells that can be placed on a wall that will increase the power storage limit of a base?
  • ImmortalHunterImmortalHunter Surrey BC Canada Earth Join Date: 2016-10-04 Member: 222853Members
    IlexLegion wrote: »
    Why not make them rechargeable cells that can be placed on a wall that will increase the power storage limit of a base?
    Ohh I like that!
    edited October 2016
    I don't see why not.

Because it is still a zero-effort power source. No fuels required (bio, nuke), no depth limitation (solar), no location limitation (thermal). Just stick in some cells, and done. Boring.

And saying "just make it harder" just extends that out a little. It would still become a new standard.
    I don't see why not.

Because it is still a zero-effort power source. No fuels required (bio, nuke), no depth limitation (solar), no location limitation (thermal). Just stick in some cells, and done. Boring.

And saying "just make it harder" just extends that out a little. It would still become a new standard.

Yeah I guess it would be boring for a base.
    What about for the Cyclops? Or Seamoth?
    Each self-chargeing power cell is only 25 "power"(I still don't know what "power" is it volts? Amps? What?)... Hmm... I'm starting to think this is a bad idea...
    Look, having self recharging power is like having a locker that fills up with titanium over time. The game is about finding resources and blueprints, and grinding for materials. You don't have to recharge the power cell in creative mode. You are asking for creative mode elements to in put in the survival mode. That takes away a lot of what the game has to offer.
    Thanks all for slapping me straight :D
    Power, in this sense, is probably capacity. Capacity is the amount of electricity a battery can deliver at a given voltage or amperage. This is expressed by Q=IT, where Q is the capacity when discharged at a rate of one amp, I is the total amperage being used, and T is the time it takes to use up all of the electrical charge within the battery. POWER. Not quite, power, but in this sense I think it works.
    Math hurts :( Wait if you didn't know the capacity how would you find out the discharge rate?
    You have to drain the battery to find out. Those numbers typically come from the manufacturer. The equation is usually used when you are using multiple batteries together. Wired in parallel, your capacity increases, your amperage stays the same, but your voltage drops over time. And vice versa with wiring them in series.
    edited October 2016
    Having used programs that simulate electron flow on a very detailed scale, I'm telling you that we want absolutely nothing to do with the real math. I've graphed the charging and discharging of capacitors. Let it stay in RL. :p

Power is an integer, roll with it.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members

I like that idea. When I made Thermal Plants for my last base I added Solar Panels to increase the maximum power value the base could hold. I was slightly disappointed that the max level of thermal energy didn't overflow into the storage capacity difference that the solar panels added. I realize solar panels only charge during the day, but why have separate energy storage values if the base draws power from a single source?
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    No, you can't craft them because that darn peeper says that it is cheating. Sorry about that. Ohh, and self charging power cells are also considered contriband in any Warper patrolled biome so everywhere basically. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Tarkannen wrote: »

I like that idea. When I made Thermal Plants for my last base I added Solar Panels to increase the maximum power value the base could hold. I was slightly disappointed that the max level of thermal energy didn't overflow into the storage capacity difference that the solar panels added. I realize solar panels only charge during the day, but why have separate energy storage values if the base draws power from a single source?

It's worse than that, actually. The base drains only one power source at a time, but they can all charge. So what you end up with is multiple generators that the base never touches, and a few perpetually drained gens, which are at the top of the list. Only when the base outstrips the rate of one gen does it even start on the next.
  • SaladExistsSaladExists Canada Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219747Members
    it makes the game too easy. duh
  • tickeratickera Australia Join Date: 2016-05-06 Member: 216399Members
    That'd be incredibly overpowered.