No "end of game" Please!

harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
Subnautica is such an open world, so many things to discover - I just can't see how the concept of "end game" could even be considered. Hopefully, after release there will ongoing expansion of biomes, refinement of tools etc. This is one game I wouldn't mind paying for (good) DLC packages.

Flying around in the Seamoth is such a satisfying experience - all that might be needed is to have some re-spawning of things to find and places to explore. Perhaps a volcanic eruption could cause a major upheaval of the seascape - and volia! More things to explore....

Just can't see where "end" fits into this world...

Comments

• JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    You can play the entire story without finishing the game. Some people might find it satisfying to end the game the way it will end, but others (like me) will probably save, fly away and then reload and just explore forever :)
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    It is a game that really begs for DLC - I agree.

I also really do hope that they introduce a persistent mode sometime in the future (with something like seasons, or base failures, to keep the challenge going).
  • ThosarThosar Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221302Members
    Get in the rocket,
    Blast off,
    Something goes wrong,
    Crash land on a new plateau!
  • SamNauticaSamNautica Join Date: 2016-08-22 Member: 221596Members
    Maybe they could have a story mode and a sandbox mode and you just choose what you want.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Making this game story based is honestly a HUGE mistake if you ask me. I bought it expecting a gritty survival game in a cool alien setting. What I'm getting instead is a cartoony story based game.
  • killmeplease911killmeplease911 hanging out with ur mum Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217424Members
    i dont want them to get greedy and start making us pay for dlc...
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    DONT. YOU. DARE. DLC. I WILL KILL YOU.
    i dont want them to get greedy and start making us pay for dlc...

I think DLC is perfectly okay, as long as it's fairly priced for what it gives you.
  • IcremunIcremun Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222276Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Making this game story based is honestly a HUGE mistake if you ask me. I bought it expecting a gritty survival game in a cool alien setting. What I'm getting instead is a cartoony story based game.

Um.......... that's nice

And it is only slightly more story-based than doom and only if you go round collecting all of the PDA's.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Thosar wrote: »
    Get in the rocket,
    Blast off,
    Something goes wrong,

I mentioned sometime ago in a post before, that "end of game" could have you escaping the planet on the Sunbeam only to be shot down again, in essence starting a "New Game+" mode on the other side of the planet. You'd have to start over again with no resources, no bases or anything premade, but you would have all of your blueprints/tech unlocked from the start this time around.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    Updates every month. Forever
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    CAPSHAW wrote: »
    Updates every month. Forever

IKR? :blush:

The best option at this point (where the story is being implemented) is to be able to choose from "Story mode" and "Sandbow"/"Freedom" IMHO. I would love that!

What if the player would be required to complete the story mode first? That would unlock other mode/modes?
  • stevenwojostevenwojo Texas, USA Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222252Members
    edited October 2016
    Or you could unknowingly fail to disable the giant pew pew gun and it shoots both your rocket and the Sunbeam down, then you start all over again as a survivor of the Sunbeam, only now, you have access to whatever is left from the original survivor's bases and such. Maybe start in a new area, but find the PDA of the original survivor and have to make your way to the original starting point and figure out what went wrong. I guess that would be Subnautica 2, a whole new game!! Maybe even coop multiplayer with the original protagonist and sunbeam survivors working together.

Or better yet...

After disabling the giant gun, it turns out that all the machinery was not just powering the gun, but was also stabilizing the environment so it would be perpetually tropical. Now that it is off, winter is coming with a vengeance and the ocean surface starts to freeze. Your final decision is to leave the machine off, and watch the planet die as you escape aboard the Sunbeam, or turn it back on and be stuck there forever (and are allowed to continue playing, forever as well)...
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    edited October 2016
    Meh. You want to keep exploring instead of beating the game then do just that. So far there is nothing to force you into finishing the story.

I like the idea of needing to infiltrate the deepest depths in order to "finish" the game. It give us something to work for, which is especially important now that with all the nerfs getting to that point takes three times as long as it used to. Right now there's nothing to do after building the Cyclops and given the amount of work it takes to get to that point, we really need a reason to push further.

I'm all for DLC, though if they keep nerfing features I won't be playing the game anymore either way. But I doubt giving us a whole new rearranged set of biomes to explore would be on there. That would be like making an entirely new game.
  • ImmortalHunterImmortalHunter Surrey BC Canada Earth Join Date: 2016-10-04 Member: 222853Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Thosar wrote: »
    Get in the rocket,
    Blast off,
    Something goes wrong,

I mentioned sometime ago in a post before, that "end of game" could have you escaping the planet on the Sunbeam only to be shot down again, in essence starting a "New Game+" mode on the other side of the planet. You'd have to start over again with no resources, no bases or anything premade, but you would have all of your blueprints/tech unlocked from the start this time around.

Maybe Idk crash land on the moon?
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    I kinda wonder if there will be some sort of ending where the player ends up staying on the planet to protect it... like the ending for the Android game "Mines of Mars"... hmm...
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    How about give the player a moral dilemma:
    1. If they leave the planet, they "win", but the planet looses.
    2. If they stay, they save the planet, but are a self-appointed caretaker.

How the planet "looses" is up to the devs -- but it could be somthing like an eventual rebirth of the disease, killing off all life. The player could prevent this by periodically producing and distributing the cure.