Fabricator Slowdown - killing my game!

harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
First - I have a decent machine, plenty of ram, CPU/video. And this is on release 38227.

The Fabricator has been working like a charm - until 'recently'. Currently the Fabricator is taking TEN MINUTES of wall-clock time to complete an operation! :'(

This appears to be tied to my seabase as I went back to Lifepod5 and the Fab still works nearly instantly. Beneath that Lifepod is my first seabase - just a couple corridors. There is a Fabricator in there as well - and it works instantly.

In the new base where I've been playing for a few days, I have 650 power units, 3 multipurpose rooms and a Moonpool.
I don't think this is tied to power as when the Fab is running, there is no sign of power usage: 650/650 is being shown.

Also have tried deconstructing the Fabricator and relocating in on other walls - no joy there either.

The one somewhat major event I've completed (after which the slowdown began), was to fix the radiation leak on the Aurora.
I'm wondering if there is a timer that the Fabricator (and Medical Kit Fab) uses that has been walked on or munged up in some way. I haven't timed the Med Kit Fab - but it appears proportionally slow.

Sure hoping there is a fix for as I'd really hate to toss 80 some hours of play and start over with a new game!!! This may be the only way out as at this point this game is pretty much unplayable... ARRGH!

Any ideas?

Comments

• harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    Also want to add this is on Win10 with DirectX12...
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited September 2016
    Have you tried turning the fabricator off and then back on again? Have you updated the fabricator video drivers?

Actually, seriously, is it the one fabricator, or do others in the base do the same thing? In the same module or different modules? Different bases nearby? (Use nocost from console to build random crap.)
    @EvilSmoo :smile:

Note this system WAS working until AFTER the Aurora containment repair - the only significant change in the game before the slow-down began.

Have just done number of tests. First added a new multipurpose room to the existing base. Deconstructed the Fab and installed in in the new MPR - same same.

Next, recreated it in a corridor - same slowness.

Next created what I assume would be a new base, but near by: 1 MPR - 1 corridor & hatch, and one solar panel for power. brought in the deconstructed Fabricator, installed - and same 10 minute craft time. Note also along with this, the Med Kit Fab appears to be non-working, but I'll bet this time-delay thing is causing IT'S timer to run super long as well.

As mentioned earlier - the Fab's at my first seabase (right under Lifepod5) works well, as does the one in Lifepod5. I've also gone so far as to update the video drivers (move of desperation!) and naturally that had no effect.

Seeing how the slowdown appears to be affecting both fab-machines, I'm thinking the timer they use as been walked on somehow...

I guess the next test would be to go some real distance away from this area and see if building a new base would make a change. I actually started a new survival game - and OMG - I've come so far!! I REALLY don't want to have to go thru all that again... GAK! :(

Oh and yes - I've been working with just one Fab/Health Fab in this base. Haven't tried 2 or more since the one seems to be so hard-slow...
    Have just ran another test. Using NOCOST - created a new seabase some distance from the existing one. Basic powered MPR - and created a second Fabricator - and it too runs at the 10-minute craft time.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    What happens if you build a second fab in the same base where one runs slow? If it runs faster, if you delete the original, does it still run faster?
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    harrzack wrote: »
    The Fabricator has been working like a charm - until 'recently'. Currently the Fabricator is taking TEN MINUTES of wall-clock time to complete an operation!

A video showing the fabricator being slow while the game is running at normal speed would help. Also: log files please!
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137003/how-to-report-gameplay-bugs#first

@LumpN -

Thanks for the heads-up on sending a vid. It is DEF visible when you click on the craft-in-progress; you get a little progress-wheel that shows percentage done. I didn't know a screen-vid could be done - will tackle that on Sunday when I get back home.

I did send a email with log to Unknown Worlds today.

Can a log-file be included in a forum post? Will be happy to provide anything that will help solve this.

Last thing I tried today was to use the console command "speed x". First I tried 1 thinking that it had been walked on. No change. Just for fun I set speed to 10... Yikes! The bouy-icons were like strobe lights! But the Fab completed almost immediately- so something in the fabricator timing system has been munged. Is there a local file where this is held, and could be fixed with a simple edit?
  • KumquatKumquat Florida Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226425Members
    I am currently having this same issue of the fabricator running very slow on my sub (the Cyclops). It also affects the plant grow time (grow time is slower on the sub that my plants on the surface). A work around I figured out for the fabricator is to look at the item being created, showing the %complete, and then start taking screen shots. Each F11 screen shot adds 10-15% completion of what is being made in the fabricator (take about 5-6 screen shots to complete, instead of waiting 10 minutes for the item to be made. No idea why it works, but it does.

I have verified all files and even moved my save files to a newly installed game and the slow fabricator issue is still present, so it is in the saved files somewhere. Any help to resolve would be nice and I will also submit a complete bug report for this issue when I have exhausted a few more attempts to isolate.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Kumquat wrote: »
    I am currently having this same issue of the fabricator running very slow on my sub (the Cyclops). It also affects the plant grow time (grow time is slower on the sub that my plants on the surface). A work around I figured out for the fabricator is to look at the item being created, showing the %complete, and then start taking screen shots. Each F11 screen shot adds 10-15% completion of what is being made in the fabricator (take about 5-6 screen shots to complete, instead of waiting 10 minutes for the item to be made. No idea why it works, but it does.

I have verified all files and even moved my save files to a newly installed game and the slow fabricator issue is still present, so it is in the saved files somewhere. Any help to resolve would be nice and I will also submit a complete bug report for this issue when I have exhausted a few more attempts to isolate.

What are the numbers at the top right of your screen?
  • KumquatKumquat Florida Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226425Members
    Experimental build 42886 is my current build with this issue. Please let me know if you want me to upload the save files.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Kumquat wrote: »
    Experimental build 42886 is my current build with this issue. Please let me know if you want me to upload the save files.

It can't hurt, and it might help the devs, so yes.
  • FrustratedFrustrated Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223643Members
    I found that sometime if I stood close to a fabricator it was very slow, but if I went to another room, same object was done before I got to the doorway! I built two in the end and just went between them, was quicker when working two machines at once.

It's not been so bad just recently, I thought it had been fixed.
  • ArxeonArxeon Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226687Members
    I've noticed that when the fabricator bugs out, the big red moon that normally moves around the sky also doesn't move anymore. The same tricks like screenshoting and moving the character around to progress the fabricator will "progress" the red moon. I'm uessing they both tie in to a common piece of code that tracks timekeeping