Grounding or Beaching the Seamoth

harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
I accidentally grounded my Seamoth on a sandy beach and WAS able to get it to move off. However I did get it grounded on the Aurora and it was impossible to get it off. Since I'm still pretty new in the game, this meant the loss of my primary transportation, putting be back to the Seaglide.

I scanned the net and forums for ideas on how to get it off and not much was found. One idea I did see was to get the Propulsion Cannon and try to knock it back a few feet. BUT - only having a Seaglide, and having to first get a blue print for it, then gather all the materials was a super fun-killer!

It should NOT be possible to ground the either the Seamoth or the Cyclops - UNLESS there is a tool in the game to free it.

What I ended up doing was to clone another Seamoth (ARRGH! - Now 2 blinking icons), to get all the needed parts to build a Propulsion Cannon. Once I had it I went back to the Aurora to try it out. Naturally the Cannon did NOT work in the Seamoth, so I was left with picking up and throwing crates at it till it blew up! Since it wasn't my fault that I lost the Seamoth that way, I continued on with the cloned Seamoth.

It would seem to be an easy fix to simply disallow the subs to get to a depth coordinate where they could no longer move.

Comments

• DaAngryCheeseDaAngryCheese Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222374Members
    Hate it when that happens
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Disagree on disallowing anything to do anything. It's fun to jump a Seamoth out of the water. It's my own responsibility to not beach the thing.

Instead, allow repulsion cannon to move Seamoth? Or some other way of booting it out of stuck situations.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited September 2016
    Propulsion cannon upgrade, repulsion cannon, can move larger objects. I can't test on seamoth at the moment, but I should be able to check later.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    narfblat wrote: »
    Propulsion cannon upgrade, repulsion cannon, can move larger objects. I can't test on seamoth at the moment, but I should be able to check later.

That's what I went in to test. Seamoth was unimpressed with my glowy yellow space push-gun, and the lesser version did nothing. Seems only the larger critters can move it, which is less than optimal for this purpose.

Didn't try shoving a desk into it or anything, though.
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    @EvilSmoo :
    I don't mean to limit any performance like jumping out of water or running up on the beach INTENTIONALLY. My thing is that if you get the moth stuck, the game in it's current state, gives you no way to get out of the situation. That is poor design. If the game allows you to run up on a spot where the Seamoth can no longer move (impellers out of the water), then there should be some mechanism or tool to be able to push it off. I tried a bunch of things, and all I was left with was to throw stuff at it till it blew up... otherwise I'd be looking at multiple Seamoth blips on my screen - which is already busy enough!
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I once beached my Seamoth on the Mountain Island. Used the Propulsion Cannon to pick up one of the bigger rocks and nudge the Seamoth back into the water. Damaged it in the process, but it was good to sail again after some repairs. The Aurora probably has wreckage big enough for that purpose, too. Game mechanics already exist to solve this problem.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    I once beached my Seamoth on the Mountain Island. Used the Propulsion Cannon to pick up one of the bigger rocks and nudge the Seamoth back into the water. Damaged it in the process, but it was good to sail again after some repairs. The Aurora probably has wreckage big enough for that purpose, too. Game mechanics already exist to solve this problem.

Not everyone cares to always have the propulsion cannon on hand or wishes to damage the environment more than absolutely necessary. Were it not for the Aurora's blocked entrances, I'd never have it with me. It's not a no-brainer 1x1 tool. Besides, while this solution exists, it's far from an obvious one.

The seamoth's gameplay functionality would greatly improve if it would have an anti-beaching property.
  • EpicMe123EpicMe123 Join Date: 2021-04-30 Member: 269607Members
    Ok, so I beached my Seamoth on a Degasi island. I used my big brain energy to get a large rock with my propulsion cannon, and rather than firing a rock at my Seamoth, I lightly pushed it with the rock, moving it off of the island. I guess this could be a solution applied to other beaching problems.