Props for Creature Interactions

FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
I must say creature AI is coming along nicely. They start to interact and react on what is going on.

Here is what happened: I was walking in my PRAWN through the Kelp Forest towards Mushroom Forest for some mining and at the border to the Grassy Plateaus I saw a Stalker and Sandshark fighting. Being always on the side against Sandsharks, I slapped it with the Claw Arm and killed it. While it sunk twitching to the sea floor, every Bleeder in the vicinity rushed in taking bites out of the still twitching Sandshark. Then Biters from the Grassy Plateaus noticed the ruckus and came harassing the Bleeders. All the while a few Hoverfish were doing circles, taking advantage of the mess in the water.
2vntwsv5tue6.jpg

Whatever you're doing with the AI, UWE, keep doing it!

Comments

• HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    Please, please keep adding interactions between the creatures of Subnautica and us in-game: I love seeing these things happen. Hint at how to take advantage of these situations in the Encyclopedia if you're worried about players not seeing them: definitely not a wasted mechanic (Ages ago, I remember seeing this as a concern of the Devs in a discussion about creature encounters). This is awesome! :smiley:

Cheers for sharing, Fathom :)
  • DaAngryCheeseDaAngryCheese Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222374Members
    Just today as I was driving towards the koosh zone I saw a little dart like thing fly past my sea moth and I turned around to see what it was. There was a mini war raging between two sand sharks and two tiger plants. Little spikes were flying everywhere killing poor innocent peeper and spadefish who got stuck in between the crossfire. Eventually after five minutes one sandshark had been killed off and the remaining sandy shark fled the scene leaving a mass of dead peepers and spades.

R.I.P
    Mr Peeper
  • SeaBuddySeaBuddy Join Date: 2016-09-22 Member: 222511Members
    I found a cave full of cool glowing plants and like 6 Tiger Plants. As I went in a Sandshark decided to follow me. All the Tiger plants just unloaded on the poor thing, all the while it was wimpering in pain and trying to escape. Alas, he died from a million spikes forcefully thrusted into him. It was sad but still kinda cool to watch!
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    OMG I love the creature interactions- especially the mesmers hypnotising other creatures and eating them! thanks for the awesome story fathom, and everyone else who commented!
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    OMG I love the creature interactions- especially the mesmers hypnotising other creatures and eating them! thanks for the awesome story fathom, and everyone else who commented!

And the mesmers that hypnotise each other like a display of dominance.
  • PikariPikari Join Date: 2016-09-30 Member: 222711Members
    I had my first opportunity to witness an encounter like that today, but it was anything but pleasant. I found a Tiger Plant Cave and went inside. There I found a single Sandshark being peppered with needles by five Tiger Plants all at once. It was brutal. After it succumbed I avenged it because I hate Tiger Plants anyway.
    cvwydvkj87oa.jpg
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
  • KitcheKitche Join Date: 2016-11-09 Member: 223771Members
    I would say that predators need a bit of work on smarter hunting techniques. Like sandsharks hiding in the sand with only the dorsal fin visible and either waiting for something tasty to pass by or sneaking up on you instead of just roaming around in droves. Also, it'd be great if dead bodies were actually eaten by the player, whatever predator killed it, and/or scavengers. It is good that they're working on the creature AI, a lot of people on the Subnautica subreddit are complaining about it, and this gives me hope that it'll be fixed soon.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    This is cool and all but I will never be happy until I can pet all the little critters in my Alien Containment tank.

I wanna touch the butt
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    edited November 2016
    Kitche wrote: »
    I would say that predators need a bit of work on smarter hunting techniques. Like sandsharks hiding in the sand with only the dorsal fin visible and either waiting for something tasty to pass by or sneaking up on you instead of just roaming around in droves. Also, it'd be great if dead bodies were actually eaten by the player, whatever predator killed it, and/or scavengers. It is good that they're working on the creature AI, a lot of people on the Subnautica subreddit are complaining about it, and this gives me hope that it'll be fixed soon.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly.

If they can also randomise predator aggression (e.g. hunger levels) and had them vary their locations (more random paths?) it'd add a lot.

Much of the current gameplay is just finding a spot amid an insanely dense cloud of predators... trying to keep a smaller fish between you and the predators... and carrying lots of health packs... which is all rather silly.