Seaglide upgrades

ShirotoraShirotora USA Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207784Members
edited September 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
The Seaglide is indisputably a handy tool, however, I feel there's room for improvement. At the moment, there are only three other vehicles, but each have mods. I think doing the same for the Seaglide would be a welcome addition.

Possible mods could include speed upgrades, power efficiency, and an on board airtank. Of course, being smaller than the Seamoth and Cyclopes, one could limit the number of mods allowed on it to one or two.

Comments

• dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    I assume at some point they'll fix the Powerglide, so yeah.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Gill upgrade? Inefficient artificial gills that require speed to refill oxygen. Trades batteries for O2.

Maybe even a ram attack boost? It builds pressure in a small external tank, and then spends it for a burst of speed. Serrated edges in the front.

Minimization unit: makes the Seaglide smaller in inventory, at the cost of efficiency?

Plus all the other obvious upgrades. Trade between toys, energy usage, upgrade space, and speed.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    ironically, not that many people looked into this; but that the seaglide is technically the hardest to control vehicle, due to the nature of small hand carried diver propulsion. managing angle, buoyancy, power, etc.
  • stevenwojostevenwojo Texas, USA Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222252Members
    It would be nice if the seaglide could be treated as other vehicles, in that it wouldn't have to go in ones inventory, but could just be let go of it when it's time to stop and explore/harvest. For an upgrade, mounting points for O2 tanks could be crafted so those could be removed from inventory as well, allowing for bigger hauls when farming resources. Once the seamoth is crafted, maybe have seaglide mounting points on it as well. the mounting points could even be an alternative to the seamoth storage module as being able to remove the 3x3 seaglide and two 2x2 O2 tanks (for those that use that loadout) would be more space efficient.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I finally stopped using the SeaGlide after they made it energy inefficient. I realize it's early-game tech and not meant to be used as primary travel, but it running for three minutes before dying is not worth the effort to craft it, especially since you likely can't recharge the battery at that point. Personally I'd like for them to replace the Battery with a Power Cell and double the energy capacity, in order to make it somewhat worthwhile to craft.
  • ShirotoraShirotora USA Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207784Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I finally stopped using the SeaGlide after they made it energy inefficient. I realize it's early-game tech and not meant to be used as primary travel, but it running for three minutes before dying is not worth the effort to craft it, especially since you likely can't recharge the battery at that point. Personally I'd like for them to replace the Battery with a Power Cell and double the energy capacity, in order to make it somewhat worthwhile to craft.

Everything (or almost) has been made less energy efficient. It would be over powered if batteries and power cells lasted as long as they did and can also be recharged.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Shirotora wrote: »
    Tarkannen wrote: »

Everything (or almost) has been made less energy efficient. It would be over powered if batteries and power cells lasted as long as they did and can also be recharged.

The seaglide has been hit very badly though. As it is, I only use it early in game to get seamoth parts and then never again. I suppose technically it might still be of use as an in-between before upgrading the seamoth to go deeper, but with the inventory space it takes it's not worth it to me compared to extra oxygen. Extra oxygen helps me out within (complex) wrecks, extra speed + brick in my face doesn't.

I would prefer a compromise by increasing the seamoth's battery life with 50%, or in other words 75% of what it was prior to the Power Nap update. Half-ing it was an ill-estimated balancing move that made the seaglide underpowered. The future lithium upgrade might amend that a little, but wryly so considering it will only restore the seaglide to its former semi-glory (not to mention how late game the mod station currently is). Meanwhile, various additions continue to be made that make the other vehicles increasingly more worthwhile.

I've requested some vehicle upgrades a while back, and a "vehicle workbench" to customize the seaglide (and jetpack) was one of them. I wanted to request modules too, but thought that may be too much. Glad to see others feel like this. Speed is a specifically good upgrade for non-protective vehicles and I dig the oxygen idea too. If there's a good way to incorporate it in the screen, I'd be interested in something like a rear-view mirror.

I'm partial to only one module for small vehicles.
  • KaybeKaybe Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222425Members
    edited September 2016
    I got the Seaglide early on (like most), but because of the power consumption issues, I stopped using it entirely until I got the battery charger ... in the same wreck where I got the Seamoth, lol. Now I use it a fair amount and always carry four spare batteries on me for that and the rest my tools.

By the way, I'm reading hearsay on the Steam forums that the power cell vehicles got the same power consumption bat to the face today. Not sure if it's true, but I'll find out when I get home. I don't have the power cell charger yet.

EDIT: Confirmed. Power Cell usage in the Seamoth is through the roof now. On top of that, it drains even faster when you come in from the water and are regaining oxygen levels. I had to look online to find out where the power cell charger was and do a mad scramble to find it. Five minutes of Seamoth usage and my cell was down to 25%. Yikes.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Well, a solar charger Seamoth should be fine.

I suppose that you could park a few thermal generator Prawns by a shallows vent, and use them as power chargers? :P
  • KaybeKaybe Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222425Members
    edited September 2016
    Solar charger Seamoth (or PRAWNS) are a much later acquisition. Not really viable for new players who just start using the Seamoth and who don't have a moonpool or vehicle mod. Although now I'm curious if there's a solar power modification lying around in a wreckage somewhere.

Honestly, when making changes of this nature, or commenting on such, it's important to note that new players do come into this game that don't have all the advantages older players, with their vast constructions, have had access to from some time.
  • ShirotoraShirotora USA Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207784Members
    Yeah, I lucked out and found the battery and cell chargers pretty quick. Now, I use the seamoth to get to deeper areas and the seaglide to explore deeper.
  • ArtoriusArtorius Indiana USA Join Date: 2016-09-02 Member: 221998Members
    Battery consumption seems excessive. But the game is accelerated about 40x. The day-night cycle is super fast. And the submarines can travel VERY fast compared to todays subs. If you account for that, the drain seems less out of sync. However, it does get annoying when an entire storage locker is full of dead batteries awaiting a charger or fabrication.
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    Artorius wrote: »
    Battery consumption seems excessive. But the game is accelerated about 40x. The day-night cycle is super fast. And the submarines can travel VERY fast compared to todays subs. If you account for that, the drain seems less out of sync. However, it does get annoying when an entire storage locker is full of dead batteries awaiting a charger or fabrication.

I personally almost like the energy drain (little tweaks), but I can see the storage issue being a problem. I don't know how you can solve that though without changing the drain speed. :/
  • FlappybatFlappybat Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165519Members
    The battery issues were horrible until I got a seamoth. It's fine when you have a seamoth as your main transport so needing a modification station to upgrade the seaglide probably pushes back the time you can upgrade it to it already being your secondary transport.

I'd still consider giving it power efficiency, solar charging and a boost (left click) upgrades.
  • stevenwojostevenwojo Texas, USA Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222252Members
    Not sure if it's a bug or a conscious decision on the devs part, but two depleted batteries can be used to make a fully charged power cell. Once you have the sea glide and are using it to scavenge for seamoth fragments, all those used batteries can go into making power cells to keep your seamoth charged while rounding up the charger fragments. If the wrecks/escape pods are investigated as they become available, it feels pretty smooth in progression, in my opinion. In the end, I end up with a decent amount of backup power cells and just enough batteries.
    Well, unless one builds a power cell charger on the cyclops. That's just broken, since you can use the 6 power cells that come with it to charge everything, keeping the cyclops, the seamoth and the Prawn suit all fully charged just by cycling those 6 power cells through the on board charger.

Though I do remember when I was just learning the game and didn't know to not leave the safe shallows until I was ready to deal with the sand shark invasion, that starting the game was pretty rough. Maybe an AI warning when you leave the safe shallows for the first time stating that leaving is bound to attract attention from predators. (I'm assuming here that sand sharks/stalkers in the safe shallows is somehow linked to leaving the safe shallows).