Anybody taken that plunge into the abyss yet?

MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
Greetings.

I had meant to do this at some point but then it happened accidentally. Exploring the depths near the Aurora in my Exosuit, I suddenly found myself plunging from a cliff. Unfortunately, most of the cliff face consisted of sand (and, actually wasn't really "there") so my grappling hook had nothing to fasten onto in order to arrest my plunge.

Oh well, I thought, let's do this for research. Those suits are tough!

I hadn't realised my microphone was set so low but you're not missing anything important as this was rather impromptu. Also, though the quality of the original is excellent, once it is compressed by YouTube it is down to 360p. :( I'll look into fixing that for my next, proper video.

Cheers.

Comments

• MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    Drat, now I can't get back in. The loading timer just continues to increase.

https://goo.gl/photos/dC375cZ1kQ4fp34T9

Please tell me I won't have to go back to last night's/this morning's backup save?

:(
  • Tom2121Tom2121 USA, VA Join Date: 2016-09-04 Member: 222057Members
    YES!
    4 Dame times now, 3 of them in the P.r.a.w.n Suit!
  • xReixRei Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221645Members
    I almost fell in by accident in a recent hardcore save while jetting around in the PRAWN suit. :p
    Thankfully I had the grapple and manage to snag the wall and eventually shimmy my way back up.

Thanks to my crippling fear of the dark abyss I've yet to actually EXPLORE down there properly though. Not even in the Cyclops. Just about pissed myself when I started to fall down in the PRAWN. I was fully prepared to bail out of it and let it sink. xD

Although swimming 500m back to the surface would have been a doomed endeavor.
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    I too had the grapple but was in an area where there wasn't much and then nothing for it to latch on to. :(
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    edited September 2016
    If you REALLY want to test this out, do it in creative mode and let it run for a couple hours.

EDIT: So, I tried that.... left the PRAWN falling for about 3 hours. Came back to find it at about 490,000 meters down, and when I got out it was no longer falling. Caused some crazy graphical shaking. Had to warp back to the surface to fix it.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited September 2016
    I feel off the northern edge the other day.

Went down 1277 metes before hitting the bottom.
    My PRAWN suit was only rated for 1050 meters, but held up pretty well with it taking almost 6 minutes before it's health was down to 25%.
    I got out an welded it back up to 75%, but it took almost 90% of the welder to do it.

I didn't have the grapple-arm with me, so I just wandered around for a while.
    I had somehow got underneath the cliff face and there was no way to determine how far I had to go to try and get back to the upward facing.
    Wouldn't have mattered though, since the regular pack jets would never have carried me all the way back up to a level surface.

I had done a SAVE just before dropping over the edge, so when my suit hit 25% for the second time, I bailed and restarted the game.

Was kinda scary down there, cause there's nothing but darkness, the surface you're standing on and the cliff wall.
    B)