Compulsory Storyline?

EnderknyteEnderknyte New Zealand Join Date: 2015-10-10 Member: 208388Members
Hi, just wanted to know if it's compulsory to follow the story line after fixing the Aurora, (Whether it impacts gameplay if you don't?) Or if after the radiation is contained you are just able to build seabases and stuff rather than having to doggedly pursue the story line or else face the destruction of planet 4546B. Thanks :smile:

Comments

• MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    Certainly in the current builds you can sandbox derp around as much as you like.

In the upcoming storyline there's going to be something that seems time-sensitive to push you through the midgame story but as far as I am aware it's triggered by finding something specific and isn't really timed, so you should still be able to continue messing around as long as you want both before and after triggering it.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Procedurally generated infinite "Seabox" DLC when? No Aurora, no story, just a pod and the sea.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited September 2016
    As Mirality said, in the current builds you don't need to follow the story at all - even when not in Creative. Aurora blows its top, and you can just keep on going. Can shamelessly loot the place and fix the engines, but don't need to go any further if you don't feel inclined to do so.

To the best of my knowledge, there's no real important areas that deny you access if you don't follow the story. There is the Aurora Interior though, which only is accessible outside of Creative now that they clogged up the side entrance. I can't even manually trigger the explosion with the debug console if it's set to Creative - so no looting the ship unless you allow that much of the story to run its course. I'd argue that those areas are indeed important, but if you're not following the story then there's not much to be done there anyway :P
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    4546B will be fine. I'm pretty sure I saw a Trello card about there being two means off the planet, one by following the story, another by just getting yourself the technology to go. So, there's no story obligation or story rushing except the Aurora explosion and that mid-game thing.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    I think if you just get the technology to leave the planet and then just leave you could trigger the "bad ending"...
    Either you get blown up by the cannon on the island as you attempt to leave, or if you do escape you infect the Universe with that virus you got infected with when you first arrived on the planet...
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    I think if you just get the technology to leave the planet and then just leave you could trigger the "bad ending"...
    Either you get blown up by the cannon on the island as you attempt to leave, or if you do escape you infect the Universe with that virus you got infected with when you first arrived on the planet...
    That is a good idea! Leave the planet without curing yourself the G.U.N. is programed to eliminate all infected so it will target the rocket and BOOOOOOM!