Have I lost 78 hours of gameplay? :(

MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
My plunge into the abyss may have taken my save game with it.

After the fall and my death, I exited to the main menu, thinking I would just load to the save I had before my accidental adventure.

The loading screen counter just went up and up after loading all of the other assets but never let me in. The compass at the top moves and the spinning disc in the lower right continues to spin. I gave up at 3600 seconds.

I backup my save game files every night when I finish so I finally thought I'd have to bite the loss of a day and go back to that one. Unfortunately, I had saved on top of the few remaining foundations of my old base, and the game is thinking I am in a base with 0 power, my oxygen going down but no way to swim up or anything.

Please advise.

Cheers.

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Only thing I can suggest is using the console to swap to Creative mode until you can save yourself, then swap back to whatever mode you were playing before (Freedom/Survival/Hardcore)
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    Only thing I can suggest is using the console to swap to Creative mode until you can save yourself, then swap back to whatever mode you were playing before (Freedom/Survival/Hardcore)

What would that do for me, please?
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Michlo wrote: »
    Rezca wrote: »

What would that do for me, please?

Pasting in from the Wiki:
    The console is an optional feature and is disabled by default. To activate it you need to press F3 and you'll see a checkbox ticked in the top left saying: "Disable Console". Press F8 to get a mouse cursor and uncheck the box to activate the console.

Pressing "~" brings up an input box to enter commands

Once the console is enabled, press "Enter"/"~"/"Ø" / "Ö", depending on the keyboard, and type one of the commands above. Whenever you restart the game, you need to press one of the overlay keys first (e.g. F3) before pressing the console key

It is recommended to close all overlays before typing a command, as entering a number does change the game settings on some overlays (e.g. on the F3 overlay).

Also, some of the commands, like the BIOME command, do not work when the player is inside the Seamoth.

That last one is important. If you use a warp/biome command when inside your base or a sub, you'll trigger that "falling to the seafloor" bug, since the game assumes you're still inside a dry area.
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    Thanks, Rezca. I didn't need to use creative mode but you lead me to a fix. I used my backup save and the kill command. Killing myself reset the biome bug.

I've lost a day of gaming but fortunately, it was mostly an exploring day, taking a break from base building. Had I lost my base, I would have been rather upset.

Cheers.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited September 2016
    Don't forget there's console commands that let you bypass issues without changing game modes (which there's nothing wrong with, but I've had issues changing modes manually in the past and the game not wanting to return to the 'proper' mode). OXYGEN lets you stay underwater until you can get free, and SPAWN lets you move slightly without having to KILL yourself. WARP and WARPME are good for moving drastically, and GAMERESET is golden for reloading a save file quickly without waiting for files/textures to reload (I wish it would become an actual menu item).

Generally I dont like using console commands to do stuff since it's kinda sorta cheaty, but since the game is currently in pre-release/beta I justify their use when the game goes bonkers and something happens that's not supposed to. o:)
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited September 2016
    I always do a "SAVE" while in my base, before I go out exploring.
    That way if I do frack-up, I can exit the game before I actually die and just restart the game from the Seabase save.

I fell off into the abyss at the northern edge of the map the other day and then ended up under the cliff facing, while in my "1050 meters" SPAWN-suit. (hadn't upgraded the pressure compensator yet)

The bottom ended up being 1277 meters deep and my suit did a whole bunch of groaning and leaking but didn't collapse immediately.
    (which surprised me)

I tried for a bit to get back up to the surface, but I didn't have the grappler arm with me, so just before the suit got to 25% health I exited the game and did a restart.

Ended up back in one of my Moonpools all safe and sound.
    Though I did lose the few resources I had collected along the way.

B)