[ SPOILERS ] Signals, story, slowing, stumped.

MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
Greetings,

I'm a little stumped. I am now 74 hours in and still loving the game. I've spent a fair bit of time exploring (of course) and lately, transferring the contents of my old base, stripping it all down and building my new and vastly improved base. Along the way, I have spaced out going out to search the locations of each of the signals I've received.

At least a couple of those seem to have been duplicated. Also, at first I thought it was a rather clever way of the game directing us to places we needed and places which would continue the story. After visiting another geological formation (which was interesting but had no blueprints or story elements) and the one I saved to last, the Pulse origin, which turned out to be a placeholder, that theory has been thrown overboard.

I know there has to be more for me to discover as I've seen talk of Precursor items and also, I have blueprints which require the modification workbench yet I've not yet found that workbench. Finally, I have 1/3 blueprints for the nuclear reactor. Whilst I don't need or want the reactor, this means I have more to discover.

But where?

I've searched the Aurora, including the laboratory. I've been to the Floating Island and its environs, the nearby Northern Island, the red grass area, the mushroom area, the deep area with an abandoned base and bioluminescent flora.

I'm trying to avoid looking up spoilers but if anybody could give me a hint as to whether I should be searching for more signals, I'd appreciate it. In total I've located 18 signal areas.

Cheers.

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    For the nuclear reactor, I could only suggest looking in the Dunes or Mountains wrecks.

As for the signals... I always just assumed that most of them were merely to direct players to Points of Interest, and you'd use them mostly just to easily locate a biome and only a few of them would be story-related. While the smokers do have some use with the thermal plant building, I'm not sure what use the geological formations are other than being interesting to look at. Recently I got a "Secret Cave" signal that just pointed me to a little nook in a cliff by one of the Mushroom Forests, but there wasn't anything inside.

The only other signals I know of come from listening in on your Communications Relay, these pointing you to the Jellyshroom Base (Though sometimes you end up getting that one while swimming around, but AFAIK only after you repair the relay or build a new one) and pointing you to the destroyed lifepods.
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    There's two sources of signals. The ones from the comms relay are generally to important story or loot elements (sometimes they only point near an object, and it has moved a bit since then). These don't get duplicated.

Another source is the loot crates scattered around the world. These are subject to RNG, so you can end up with duplicates. They're generally to interesting terrain features but not anything interesting story or loot-wise. AFAIK these are getting phased out (and might already be gone in Experimental.)
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    edited September 2016
    Not to sound rude but I had the nuclear reactor within the first 3 hours of my first serious play through. I found all the fragments in the grand reef, although that playthrough was months ago.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    In the early game, I use one or two of the signals as 'free nav beacons' that help me keep track of where I am, when combined with the default one for my Lifepod. After that, they are almost never of any use to me, and I'd rather have something else in those two equipment slots (compass, thermometer, etc)
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    Fluffers wrote: »
    Not to sound rude but I had the nuclear reactor within the first 3 hours of my first serious play through. I found all the fragments in the grand reef, although that playthrough was months ago.

Congratulations? This isn't a race. Good thing we may all play at our own pace.

After this post, I went on another couple of expeditions. I just chose a cardinal direction and went. Each lead me to wrecks I hadn't yet encountered. One of which gave me wall plants (which I was actually rather happy about) and the other gave me the Stillsuit. :)

Obviously, I just need to keep on exploring.

Cheers.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I think further, not yet implemented signals, will lead you to the sights south, following the Degasi survivors down into the Lost River. Along that trek, you will most likely discover the more end game fragments.