I think the devs should add a "fast-travel" for the cyclops.....

Bobthedog1Bobthedog1 US Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214175Members
I think the cyclops should be able to navigate and drive itself while you can just sit, wait, and/or craft, tell me what you think!

Comments

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    There's no map or anything to tell it where to go. You have put forward an idea with ZERO apparent thought as how specifically to accomplish it.

I suppose if you could designate beacons as destinations? So the Cyclops could do a simple ground-follow pointed at the beacon, and when it gets blocked, just shut off the autopilot? Basically ANYTHING that triggers the prox alarms should probably turn off any autopilot.

Could work, possibly. Put some floating beacons near the surface in various areas, and have it auto-drive itself around, while you do other stuff. If the beacons are on the surface, you only have to worry about the shallowest places, the mountain, floating island, and Aurora.
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    edited September 2016

@Bobthedog1

I think too many people would rely on this if the system was robust. Hypothetically the system works perfectly, it still brings up issues as a design choice:
    • Manually driving the cyclops allows it to slow the pace of the game and set the mood.
    • The game is largely an exploration game. It is pieced together with beautifully hand-crafted biomes which are home to sheer awesome and scary life. The player would miss a lot of those moments when a creature (i.e. leviathan) just jumps in front of you without any warning. A new player might miss a biome they have never seen on their way back home. I mean I still want to move through the water myself after hours and hours.
    • Say the Devs saw this post and said "great, lets do that!" They then procced to spend a week (I'm being generous here) to design a robust pathing system for the cyclops. In all that time they spent they could've been working on a new creature, base component, or new land-based mechanic (crouching for example). For what? So you could drink a soda pop while playing? Or craft some metal salvage into titanium?
    • Why add something to the game when travel time isn't really a problem, the slowness is intended to be felt. It's why it feels so great to switch to the Seamoth.
    • The map isn't the biggest and it's suppose to take dedicated time to get to new and wacky places

This is all assuming that the system is perfectly integrated, which is a whole issue in itself:
    1. The cyclops already spasms when the player interacts with it while it's stationary, I'd hate to see how bad it is while thrusting along.
    2. Depth becomes a really problem, imagine putting a beacon say in the lost river say, it's just gonna head straight down until it slams into the ground. No help.
    3. The tail is so long it would be a "*****" to program. I mean technically you could do this with the Seamoth and it would cope alot better but...yeah please don't suggest that.
    4. When I said a week, try maybe weeks, plural, of dev.
    5. Does it avoid things? dynamic things (i.e. creatures) or b-line?
    6. What happens if you deploythe Seamoth/PRAWN while it'' in autopilot?Or take the power cells while it's max throttle?
    7. If you exit out the front hatch will it kill you?

- Cheers Capta
  • QelsarQelsar Lansdowne, MD Join Date: 2016-05-09 Member: 216536Members
    I did vote yes, but maybe if they implemented an option for a speed module that takes the max speed to 150% it would serve both sides. I don't need it to go Seamoth fast, but I do like a little extra cruising power.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I would be in favor of autopilot if I believed it was possible to program (within the time and financial restrictions UWE has). I don't think that's possible though; I can think of a lot of difficulties to be found on that path, considering not even the NPCs move without colliding.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    Why on earth would anyone want fast travel in a game 100% about exploration that takes place in one of the most creative and imaginative landscapes that has ever been crafted for a map that isn't even big enough to warrant fast travel.

I'm almost convinced that anyone who wants fast travel in a game like subnautica doesn't even enjoy playing the game, literally a majority of the fun of the game is getting to see every nook and cranny of a beautiful oceanic alien world.
    Fluffers wrote: »
    Why on earth would anyone want fast travel in a game 100% about exploration that takes place in one of the most creative and imaginative landscapes that has ever been crafted for a map that isn't even big enough to warrant fast travel.

I'm almost convinced that anyone who wants fast travel in a game like subnautica doesn't even enjoy playing the game, literally a majority of the fun of the game is getting to see every nook and cranny of a beautiful oceanic alien world.

So just to put this out there.......... I've been playing Subnautica for about 10 months (hundreds of hours played). I've explored the lay of the land quite extensively. My base is mainly near the wake of the Aurora, which means if I want to take the Clops over to Floating Island, the Lava Zones, or elsewhere it takes me a little time. I'd just like an option to get me along a bit quicker. For a diver who has spent 30+ minutes just watching the movements of shuttlebugs in their habitat, I have thoroughly enjoyed the vast and amazing SN world. Until the full release comes out, I just find new areas to setup mini bases and staging grounds. I still enjoy messing with reapers, sandsharks, and the lot but I'm ready for a little extra content =D
    I'd like to see new continents. And a reason to visit them.

As to how? Make a large floating barge. Something like 6 MFRs and 2 moonpools, plus a Cyclops dock and power system. So you can load up everything into the barge, dock your stuff, and trundle off to... procedural maps or wherever.

Upside is the obvious mobility.

Downside is, the 2 moonpools are stuck at the surface, along with the rest of the stuff. So you need subs, and bases in deeper areas.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I drive my underwater boat... It's all about the journey, not the destination!
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited September 2016
    As others pointed out before one of the big focus of the game is exploration. While i'll agree that right now its hard to see much of anything from inside the Cyclops thru the front window, you can still use the cameras to maneuver it decently and watch your surrounding while doing that.

Plus, somewhere around official release (maybe before it hopefully) we are supposed to get some kind of fast travel meanings via the Base Teleporter system. How it will work exactly remains to be seen tho.

Also, as a side note, Cyclops Dock is in there as well. Hopefully this is something that will happen since the community has been asking for it since forever :wink:

So playing a bit earlier I noticed that the Cyclops has a higher engine sound output. I have nothing to gauge it off of, but does it travel a bit quicker now........... or do I just have wishful thinking over here?
  • vielviel Russia Join Date: 2016-06-02 Member: 217973Members
    edited September 2016
    Under "Fast-travel" i think it may be forward auto navigation between 2 beacons by going with standard speed near waterline (zero depth) like cruise liner (with or without player) :) Such implementation should smash down routine about comebacks (POI -> base and vice versa), endue beacons with additional functions and have no affects on any game mechanic. Plus player must make his route safe by avoiding shallows and mere reefbacks. I think it must be a player's headache, not about developing comprehensive autopilot.
    I think it will be more relevant addition after teleporting comes to life.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members

Unless "fast travel" just means auto-lock on visible signals, otherwise...

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Bobthedog1 wrote: »
    I think the cyclops should be able to navigate and drive itself while you can just sit, wait, and/or craft, tell me what you think!

Sorry. Awful idea!
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    Plus, somewhere around official release (maybe before it hopefully) we are supposed to get some kind of fast travel meanings via the Base Teleporter system. How it will work exactly remains to be seen tho.

Yeah, using warpers to develop stationary structures that can link to eachother is fine. I don't see a problem with warping between bases if the only way you can do it is by killing/ researching warpers in their natural environment (which will probably be somewhere very dangerous) to get that technology. It should require that you study warpers, have a lot of exotic materials, and have a ton of energy at your bases.
    I had an entirely different idea. Imagine fast travel between bases, which was not through the use of a teleporter. Instead the player had to lay the lines for tubing which would act as a high pressure transport system. Kinda like futurama:
    Tube-Transit-System-Blog-Image-1-e1376659293733.jpg

I am mostly just laughing behind the idea but it could kinda work :P

- Capta
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    edited September 2016
    Futurama tubes would certainly be cool. Though I doubt the engine could support it, especially animating the journey itself.
    From the commit logs it sounds like they're currently in the process of adding fixed-location teleporters that can be used towards the late game. They seem like they'll only work for yourself alone, or possibly for the small subs, but I doubt they'd work with the Cyclops. Not sure if this is instead of or in addition to the suggested base-to-base transport.
    edited September 2016
    Mirality wrote: »
    Futurama tubes would certainly be cool. Though I doubt the engine could support it, especially animating the journey itself.

Lol I was thinking that, but if you fixed the camera to a degree angle i.e.
    what-is-obtuse-angle.PNG

Then you write it to render things within the visible range. Decrease the transparency of the tubing from the internal fluid (allows things out of a certain range to not be visible, hence no being needed to render). The terrain is preloaded in pathway of the tubing, which occurs while the player sits in the tube bay with a countdown (1.2.3.4.5). I don't work with 3D games haha, but that sounds like a **** ton of work. Still just mostly a joke idea :P
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Futurama tubes could be made by using current generators mechanics and having the player 'swim' in an air filled tube. So he gets pushed at velocity towards the tube exit. Every tube has a current within itself going this way or that way, depending on the side you enter. Transition into the floating environment can be done like a Hatch. Definitely possible with what we have.
    Fathom wrote: »
    Futurama tubes could be made by using current generators mechanics and having the player 'swim' in an air filled tube. So he gets pushed at velocity towards the tube exit. Every tube has a current within itself going this way or that way, depending on the side you enter. Transition into the floating environment can be done like a Hatch. Definitely possible with what we have.

Disagree. Traveling with a sub seems to be about the maximum speed that the engine can handle pop-in of terrain. Certainly lower spec machines would choke on any more speed. Teleporting (just via via the warp command currently) also hits extreme pop-in issues, but that could be covered by a few seconds of flashy lights.
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    NOPE. That idea is about as bad as the Da BOI meme is stale. Autopilot I would support. But instant fast travel? No thanks.http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/115/575/0b8.gifaq8mse3zajzb.png
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited September 2016
    As slow as the Cyclops moves, I'd like it to have some form of autopilot system travelling to pre-set up destinations the player creates, similar to current beacons but not actual beacons, as I hate having the HUD cluttered with too many pings. That said, it's assumed at some point we can research Warpers to mimic their teleport ability, and eventually be able to warp around the map in some limited fashion like they can. I mean, there has to be a reason the WARP console command exists if not to test a future game use?

IMO Fast travel should be implemented but as a late-game option and be more resource-intensive to use. Like if warping becomes a thing, have it require 1000 Energy per use and a limited cooldown between uses. Personally I'd want it to use as a risky emergency escape clause: If you're suddenly attacked by a Reaper you can risk using it to run away; you're safe from the immediate threat but you find out it teleported you 800 meters away from your base into a school of Bonesharks. :wink:
  • ThosarThosar Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221302Members
    edited September 2016
    Fast travel: no
    Speed increase: not necessary, it's supposed to take time to move what is essentially a mobile base.

I wouldn't mind seeing not an autopilot but an auto-run. That is, line up the cyclops, hit "go" and then be able to leave the steering wheel to do other things while it travels in a straight line. Things like manage my onboard storage, or duck out to harvest materials as the cyclops goes past. This does of course bring the risk of losing it to the open abyss area, but it'll eventually run out of power, and it has a beacon, so even if that happens you could recover it with a solar powered seamoth. This would become even riskier once the cyclops is able to be damaged by running into things. I think all of that would add some dimension to the post-cyclops game, and remove some of the tedium of piloting the cyclops across the map, without reducing the time it takes.