Petition to add multiplayer (preferably Co-op) once game is fully released

lolguyman3lolguyman3 Join Date: 2016-09-15 Member: 222332Members
I feel that, once the game is fully released, the devs may have more time on their hands for multiplayer. As for us, it'd be great to have our friends on. Not to mention the fact that people would want others to play, therefore more people would buy it, and so on and so forth.
Making a new game based around multiplayer, in my eyes, is rather stupid. If you can add it all in one package, do it. All this is gonna do is make things harder. (In response to this post http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144802/coop-or-multiplayer-in-subnautica-im-afraid-not#latest )

Comments

• lolguyman3lolguyman3 Join Date: 2016-09-15 Member: 222332Members
    @dealwithitdog I've already read that post. I think they can still add multiplayer, most likely after full release.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Well, they've explicitly stated that its never coming, so don't get your hopes up. As an aside after reading your post, unless you're part of the team making the game, you don't actually have any idea how possible something is.
    Well, they've explicitly stated that its never coming, so don't get your hopes up. As an aside after reading your post, unless you're part of the team making the game, you don't actually have any idea how possible something is.

Did I say I knew? No. I said I think. There's a difference.
    DagothUr wrote: »
    Good grief, how many times do the devs have to say "no" before people accept it?

I'm not giving up this fight.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    edited September 2016
    lolguyman3 wrote: »
    Did I say I knew? No. I said I think. There's a difference.
    (EDIT) After thinking about it, multiplayer in this build is actually very much possible, and with this I hope they do add multiplayer.

Not "I think it's possible" but "it is actually very much possible". You are actually contradicting yourself.
    DagothUr wrote: »
    Good grief, how many times do the devs have to say "no" before people accept it?

Alright then, just know that campaigning for one of the few things the devs have given a hard no on won't get you anywhere.

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    @dealwithitdog I've already read that post. I think they can still add multiplayer, most likely after full release.

What are you basing this on, exactly? How much experience do you have coding with the Unity engines, and multiplayer games?

...That said, I'd also be happy to see a MP game with Subnautica assets, or procedural MP stuff in another vein. Subnautica 2, where you get sent to another Precursor water world because you're the only living expert on Precursor tech with hands-on experience? :D
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Why is the American soldier holding a Luger?

Then again, looking closer, that whole picture seems kinda Photoshopped. Either that or the picture was taken at precisely noon.
  • AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    Have you ever considered they don't want to use the time or resources on rewriting much of Subnautica so that you can play with friends?

IT'S. NOT. HAPPENING.
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    Best thing is UWE or a team hired by UWE remaster Subnautica in 2018/19 and add multiplayer. I'm sure Subnautica will (has already, as well) bring tons of money for the dev team on release.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2016
    Yeah, good luck trying to get platform wide multiplayer when the Xbone is already breaking it's bones trying to get it to run. Mind you optimisations will get it to run smooth, but even that is still a miracle. Imagine adding another coding layer on top of that, that thing might just commit seppuku if it was of Japanese origin PS4 style
  • hmcivhmciv TX Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216033Members

There are 3 requirements to making such an enhancement happen.

1. The developers have the time and funding to do it.
    2. There must be a sufficiently large market to make the endeavor profitable.
    3. The developers must be passionate about the challenge.

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    hmciv wrote: »

There are 3 requirements to making such an enhancement happen.

1. The developers have the time and funding to do it.

2. There must be a sufficiently large market to make the endeavor profitable.
    3. The developers must be passionate about the challenge.

#1 is the biggest roadblock I see here. There's definitely a market for it, and the developers are certainly passionate about this game and likely would love to add a multiplayer function.... If it wasn't for that first bullet point, as is generally the unfortunate case with these things.
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    The developers wouldn't give a hard "No" to a feature they were musing about from the beginning if they didn't think it was feasible.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    PETITION TO ADD MULTIPLAYER (PREFERABLY CO-OP) ONCE GAME IS FULLY RELEASED

............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`
    edited September 2016
    @Calarand77 @bwc153 @Bugzapper @Rezca @hmciv @Kouji_San @MisterYoon @Astromancer @DagothUr @EnglishInfidel @Kyman201 @kubazet99 @EvilSmoo Look guys, all I'm trying to say is that it should be implemented AFTER full release, where they may have MORE time on their hands and, maybe, more funding. I'm not saying now, I'm saying later, cause honestly I don't see the sense in releasing a NEW game with multiplayer based around the same thing when you could just put it all in one nice, neat package.
    All I ask is you understand where I'm coming from; there's no sense in making an entirely new game that's basically a repeat of the original one, just with multiplayer.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Well, if we take the Don't Starve example, the reason why Don't Starve Together is a separate game is because of major rebalancing. Multiple players are a resource too, but unstable, and there needed to be revisions made to ensure a consistent mp experience. How even would Subnautica work as a story-driven game if mp is implemented? Can a player leave in the rocket alone? Are (in-progress) blueprints shared or separate? How does survival-dying work from another, living player's view? Or can mp only be hard mode? And should anything be added specifically to make the mp experience worth it?

Games that aren't made for multiplayer are just sometimes not that easy to convert to a multiplayer experience.
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    You know, I'm glad you've got friends to play games with and all, but this kind of mentality that "Everything has to have multiplayer" is exactly what is killing the single player scene. You don't see people marching onto MMO forums asking for singleplayer modes. The only time I've ever heard anyone even mentioning that they wish a game had single player campaign was the new Battlefront.

The whole game is built around being stranded alone in an alien ocean. Adding even one other player makes the map significantly smaller and the obstacles significantly easier. You'd be plowing through it without even thinking and the only real challenge would be to build a base that literally fills an entire biome or something ludicrous like that. Every vehicle has only one pilot and most of them can only fit one person.

You can still play with your buddies, you just have to go about it the old school way. Invite a friend over and take turns, or set up two computers and play at the same time while talking to each other, or just make a chat room while your playing to talk to your friends while they play the same game at home. Yeah you can't interact with each other in the game but you can still make a social experience out of it if you really wanted to.

It might be time to conceed that not everything HAS to have multiplayer just to be enjoyable. I'm old enough to have been a gamer for years before the internet was invented, so I know it's possible.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited September 2016
    Herugrim wrote: »
    You know, I'm glad you've got friends to play games with and all, but this kind of mentality that "Everything has to have multiplayer" is exactly what is killing the single player scene.

This is pretty much why I skipped games like Primal Carnage in favor of Dino D-Day, to give one example off the top of my head. One has functioning solo/offline play and the other doesn't. Not that DDD's bots are the brightest bulbs in the box, but they tide me over.
    I'm far less likely to buy a game if there's no functioning single player, strange as that may sound to some, and I've long since had my fill of multiplayer-only games and to a lesser extent - games that force you to run in a server-like setting even in single player, where you can't pause the game without things still trying to kill you. Not that Subnautica is one of those, thank the developers for that, but if SA gets multiplayer it's not going to be an on/off switch "in one nice neat package". The game was built from the ground up with SINGLE player in mind, and as they've said repeatedly they'd have to rebuild it from the ground up - again - to make multiplayer of any sort work, even if it's just one single extra player.

So the Don't Starve example is the best bet for what a future co-op Subnautica would look like. Having a friend or even two could still capture a desolate stranded feel, I mean you're still shipwrecked and everyone else died before, during, or after the crash, and you're stranded on an alien planet. They'd likely scale up the world to compensate for the additional players, and might boost the healthpool of hostile fauna as well.

Yes, it's going to be a long ways off. Even then, there's no guarantees. I'd love to play with one of my friends, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    @Calarand77 @bwc153 @Bugzapper @Rezca @hmciv @Kouji_San @MisterYoon @Astromancer @DagothUr @EnglishInfidel @Kyman201 @kubazet99 @EvilSmoo Look guys, all I'm trying to say is that it should be implemented AFTER full release, where they may have MORE time on their hands and, maybe, more funding. I'm not saying now, I'm saying later, cause honestly I don't see the sense in releasing a NEW game with multiplayer based around the same thing when you could just put it all in one nice, neat package.
    All I ask is you understand where I'm coming from; there's no sense in making an entirely new game that's basically a repeat of the original one, just with multiplayer.
    The sense in that is paying for the development that is required to add multiplayer. They likely removed it as the projected time, and thus cost, was out of budget for the game.
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    The final version of Subnautica is going to be a story-driven exploration game with survival elements, from the looks of things.

There is absolutely no way to shoe-horn any kind of multiplayer (coop or otherwise) into this game structure without breaking things. So it's not surprising that the devs don't want to do it, and I hope they never do.

Having said that, like the Don't Starve Together model, it might be possible for them to create a separate game that has similar assets and themes but is designed and balanced for multiplayer from the get-go. Personally I have no interest in that, but I know some people would like it. But it can only possibly work as a separate game. (Or a completely separate mode that might as well be a separate game.)
    Herugrim wrote: »
    You know, I'm glad you've got friends to play games with and all, but this kind of mentality that "Everything has to have multiplayer" is exactly what is killing the single player scene. You don't see people marching onto MMO forums asking for singleplayer modes. The only time I've ever heard anyone even mentioning that they wish a game had single player campaign was the new Battlefront.
    TBH, there are several MMOs that I wish had a single-player mode. Granted most can be solo'd through the early levels, but at some point things inevitably get locked behind party-play walls. Story can be a bit hit-and-miss, but due to their business and update models MMOs often end up with a really large world with lots of things to explore, typically much larger than standard single-player games.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Look guys, all I'm trying to say is that it should be implemented AFTER full release, where they may have MORE time on their hands and, maybe, more funding. I'm not saying now, I'm saying later, cause honestly I don't see the sense in releasing a NEW game with multiplayer based around the same thing when you could just put it all in one nice, neat package.

First off: I see you're new so welcome to the Subnautica community!

For those of us who've hung around for awhile have seen this topic crop up again and again, hundreds if not thousands of times throughout the development cycle. The answer hasn't changed. I appreciate your enthusiasm and determination to try to get this to happen, but I really think you're hitting your head against a wall here.

• CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    Let me just put my two bits in :)

Can we all just imagine what a Subnautica: Co-Op would look like? I mean it could be a really really rich experience, however so will the solo experience. The two don't complement what they offer nicely. I think the Don't Starve approach is brilliant! This would work very nicely. I don't like the idea of +4 players though, it wouldn't complement the subnautica idea itself.

I think the best approach would look something like:
    1. 0.95v early access is released
    2. 0.96v to 0.99v are internally released & tested (the public is still left on 0.95v for the last stage of Dev)
    3. 1.0v is finished and promotions (trailers etc) are readied.
    4. 1.0v is released! :)
    5. The Devs continue to work on the solo experience after release, including bug fixing.
    6. After a few months they brainstorm and way up the choice of a co op experience
    7. Assuming they decide to follow though, they hire new team members.
    8. They still focus on the main game, while Co-op begins development.

I'd be a little skeptical if coop was released within a 3-6 months of subnautica as I'd know alot of the resources dedicated towards the main game would have to had been diverted.
This discussion has been closed.