Blood loss?

MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
Greetings.

Another thing I love about this game is that it allows me to (eventually) be a vegan again. :) Quite rare in a survival game.

Here it comes, though, the complaint. The food I survive on now typically fills up my hydration faster than my nutrition so I sometimes find myself going above 100% hydration.

Inexplicably, I then get the warning about blood loss and my hydration drops.

What? How does drinking water cause blood loss?

Confused.

Cheers.

Comments

• dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Michlo wrote: »
    Greetings.

Another thing I love about this game is that it allows me to (eventually) be a vegan again. :) Quite rare in a survival game.

Here it comes, though, the complaint. The food I survive on now typically fills up my hydration faster than my nutrition so I sometimes find myself going above 100% hydration.

Inexplicably, I then get the warning about blood loss and my hydration drops.

What? How does drinking water cause blood loss?

Confused.

Cheers.

If you eat too much at once you get that.
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    I know why it happens in game but my question is WHY? It makes no sense.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    If you eat too quickly the same thing you'll 'throw up', so some loss happens.

Vary your diet and don't eat too quickly and you can be Veggie again and not suffer :smile:
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

Vary your diet and don't eat too quickly and you can be Veggie again and not suffer :smile:

Hmm, that makes sense. Blood loss does not. :pensive:

And if you would be so kind as to make more vegetables and / or plants which give off fruit, I could vary it more easily. :)

Still, thank you for giving us the option of not harming the fauna. :)

Cheers.

And if you would be so kind as to make more vegetables and / or plants which give off fruit, I could vary it more easily. :)

Cheers.

Perhaps "Fluid loss" instead?
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members

Cheers.

That sounds a lot better, less misleading.
    Rezca wrote: »

Cheers.

That sounds a lot better, less misleading.

I think it used to damage you, thus it being blood loss :hushed:
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    More vegetarian options, plz!
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Get some Koosh, Spore Pods and Creepvine in the mix, if what the Floating Island provides isn't varied enough for you.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    Get some Koosh, Spore Pods and Creepvine in the mix, if what the Floating Island provides isn't varied enough for you.

Koosh and Creepvine are useless for nutrition, much like the latern fruit and bulbo tree. You can't eat enough of them for them to be viable and they don't add enough of anything to be worth growing.

You have to live off the melons and the potatoes to go vegan. The rest is just for the bioreactor. Wouldn't hurt to give players some viable options. Not like they can pack any of it to go, either.
    Indeed, we need something akin to curing (and whoever thought up that word, I wonder as I doubt the beasts feel cured, heh) for our vegan needs so we may carry it without it spoiling in a few minutes.

As for the message, I think it ought to just outright say "you vomit and lose fluids".

Cheers.
  • hmcivhmciv TX Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216033Members
    Indeed, we need something akin to curing for our vegan needs so we may carry it without it spoiling in a few minutes.

We have potatoes in the game. Do I hear a petition for adding potato chips?
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Solution: Food synthesiser appliance.

Wall-mounted unit that requires a variety of biomass to make Nutrient Blocks. Makes growing stuff viable again.

However, bear in mind it only takes one whine of "It's way too OP!" to kill an idea like this.

Example: Woefully nerfed Lantern Fruit, et. al.

Since the Aurora had those blocks and we get our technology from the ship that makes perfect sense! :)
  • VespertinestarVespertinestar UK Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221286Members
    I'll throw my vote into the mix for more veggie options too
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    We should be able to make nutrient blocks for the road. The formula should probably be big since they are so effective, maybe require a sample from numerous plants and some kind of chemical preservative that is hard to make.
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »

Why? There's already several different plants one can eat to get to 100% on both food and hydration without suffering from "blood loss detected"
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    bwc153 wrote: »

Why? There's already several different plants one can eat to get to 100% on both food and hydration without suffering from "blood loss detected"

But not in early game and even less so in the future, based on current predictions.

Kelp is the only flora you can eat early on and it's not a viable food source. Sporesacks are the next best thing, but rather out of the way. Koosh and land-flora are the final step and require several days of preparation before you're good to go. Anything to start a farm with them is equally KZ, FI, or STP material, and that's not taking into account that in the future we might need sea treader poop and other components to start a farm.

This isn't to say I wouldn't want edible plants late game - it would be kinda funny if yummy grew in the ALZ. But I do need something extra on Level Kelp. I think I've already said once I'd like for one to grow on top of the pillars in the GP. A bean-like plant or something.

But not in early game and even less so in the future, based on current predictions.

Kelp is the only flora you can eat early on and it's not a viable food source. Sporesacks are the next best thing, but rather out of the way. Koosh and land-flora are the final step and require several days of preparation before you're good to go. Anything to start a farm with them is equally KZ, FI, or STP material, and that's not taking into account that in the future we might need sea treader poop and other components to start a farm.

This isn't to say I wouldn't want edible plants late game - it would be kinda funny if yummy grew in the ALZ. But I do need something extra on Level Kelp. I think I've already said once I'd like for one to grow on top of the pillars in the GP. A bean-like plant or something.

Where are the spore sacks? I cannot find them anywhere.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    At the side of the Aurora there is a rift through the Shallows. It's more towards the south. In there are caves with Quartz and some of them have Spore Pods.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    I'm kinda dissapointed we can't make creepvine salad...
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited September 2016

Why does it talk about blood, though? Throwing up after gorging makes perfect sense.

I suppose there are... limited nice ways of telling the player they puked. Maybe "Your over-full stomach spasms, time to swab the deck!" B)

Haha, just get the voice to say "Deck contamination detected, initiating cleaning routine." Or something.

...You know you want to make a player-puking animation. ;)
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    ...You know you want to make a player-puking animation. ;)

Job Simulator for the HTC Vive has an upchuck animation when you ingest too much. And our character already coughs/gags when surfacing with critical air supply, and bleeds when attacked by fish...

...Just sayin'. :o
  • ThosarThosar Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221302Members
    hmciv wrote: »
    Indeed, we need something akin to curing for our vegan needs so we may carry it without it spoiling in a few minutes.

We have potatoes in the game. Do I hear a petition for adding potato chips?

+1 vote for potato chips
    Fathom wrote: »
    At the side of the Aurora there is a rift through the Shallows. It's more towards the south. In there are caves with Quartz and some of them have Spore Pods.

Thanks! Just found some!
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Why are the lantern fruits so darn big? I can see eating 3 fruits, a potto, a marblemelon, a slice or two of bulb tree with some kelp as a varied vegetarian meal, but everything takes up such a huge amount of inventory space. Can we shrink those? It's not like we can abuse them since they rot in 20 seconds ish. >.<
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    Why are the lantern fruits so darn big? I can see eating 3 fruits, a potto, a marblemelon, a slice or two of bulb tree with some kelp as a varied vegetarian meal, but everything takes up such a huge amount of inventory space. Can we shrink those? It's not like we can abuse them since they rot in 20 seconds ish. >.<

It's because they're seeds.
    Ralij wrote: »

It's because they're seeds.

Umm, when is the last time you saw fruit seeds that big? Hehe.
  • DarcekDarcek Israel Join Date: 2017-08-06 Member: 232263Members
    Hey Michlo,fancy bumping into you again here,last time I saw you was on the 7d2d forum.you seem to glue to good games,you got any other recommendations? ;p