Explorable Sunbeam.

awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
edited September 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
C'mon. The Degrasi was smaller and IT was able to be salvaged. I have seem the animation for the Sunbeams destruction and.... its pathetic. A TINY little explosion and debris that falls disappearing into nothing. No sighs of it burning up in the atmosphere. The Sunbeam is a cargo ship and it would hold valuable recourses for the endgame. So whadda ya thing? Also we wouldn't need more Aurora. Link to my MORE Explorable Aurora Poll: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/145092/explorable-sunbeam#latest

Comments

• gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    the sunbeam gets shot down? where did you see that and yes their should be more ships that was shot down too
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Don't think the devs have enough resources to fully implement another crashed ship, so my guess is it'll crash into the void.
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    the sunbeam gets shot down? where did you see that and yes their should be more ships that was shot down too
    Wiki on my iPod.

• awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    Don't think the devs have enough resources to fully implement another crashed ship, so my guess is it'll crash into the void.

But.. but LOGIC! There are no signs the debris burns up it just DISSAPEARS!
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Mind that it's an early animation. The end product might be a little more "okay, yeah, that's just ashes now".

Still, I would like another ship to explore. I got hype about the Deep Grand Reef message about an origin-ambiguous titanium mass before I realized it probs refers to the castle in the ALZ. As far as resources go, if the wiki's biome maps are still up-to-date-ish, we've got four unassigned surface areas left and I recall the devs were looking into doing something with the sandy biomes (ie, reaper territory), so another ship that can largely be created from existing models (maybe recolored?) doesn't strike me as an out-of-the-way effort.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    we've got two viable options available to us currently: twisty bridges biome and the lillypad island biome. the last biome in development that hasnt been entirely implemented is the arctic biome, which with the raising of oceanic temperatures in subnautica, seems too far out of reach past the void to justify it in the current play area without warpers.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I didn't know that was the Sunbeam being shot down in that animation!
  • kay_ziomalekkay_ziomalek ks@daklabor.com Join Date: 2016-09-13 Member: 222292Members
    I would select "More Aurora and some sunbeam" AANNDD... "Shure! That would be coool"
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    It Is A Cool Idea! And If A 3rd Ship Is Sent From A Different Team And Gets Shot Down (Its The Rich Clan Main Airship Also Its Not A Blimp) It Would Be Huge And A New Base Would Be Found. The "Artificial Island". Its A Base With A Different Interior And A Different Exterior. It Has Its Own Moon Pools. I'm Working On It On Subnautica!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited November 2016
    The Sunbeam is a 6-seater if I am to believe the transmissions correctly, so probably not too huge. Although if it's only hauling cargo from point A to point B, you wouldn't really need anything too big for the crew complement, so it could be actually quite big. Like maybe those Gallofree transports in Star Wars? Or it could be more like the Millenium Falcon, but I don't see what the point of trying to mount a rescue mission would be if it's that small.

EDIT:
    RebelTransportSize7.jpg
    RebelTransportSize11.jpg
    SWTECH03.jpg
    59c047564e805ac56536a8b4f9ea9d0d.jpg
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    I like the idea of the sunbeam being explorable it would probably crash in the koosh zone beaCAUSE WHEN I HEARD THE ANIMATION WAS IMPLEMENTED IM JUST LIKE OH YEAH and why did I do caps IDK and I played the fx etc and then I explored the area below the explosion and it was in the void but maybe it could be closer to the gun and crash in the nearest biome the koosh zone
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    C'mon. The Degrasi was smaller and IT was able to be salvaged. I have seem the animation for the Sunbeams destruction and.... its pathetic. A TINY little explosion and debris that falls disappearing into nothing. No sighs of it burning up in the atmosphere. The Sunbeam is a cargo ship and it would hold valuable recourses for the endgame. So whadda ya thing? Also we wouldn't need more Aurora. Link to my MORE Explorable Aurora Poll: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/145092/explorable-sunbeam#latest

Great idea and I think we should see it burn up and bypass the island before crashing far west of the Aurora and island. (Which is relatively far away, so maybe some good shit in there idk ;) ) Also I had the idea of a sunbeam based vehicle? It could be made by salvaging the stuff we find in there if this is implemented.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    Okay, if we take the amount of volume missing from the Aurora BEFORE it explodes, there's no way it matches the amount of wrecks there are. It would be nice to have one or two wrecks appear AFTER the Sunbeam crashes. This can give us specific fragments like the nuclear reactor, and other things. IF the Aurora is not a research vessel, but has water-based search and rescue equipment, a nuclear reactor, a bioreactor, and a dark matter drive don't make a lot of sense to have on board. Maybe if the Sunbeam is planning a long-term search and rescue, now for TWO ships, it would make sense to have a nuclear reactor, and a moonpool, Etc,
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    The Sunbeam is a six seater trading vessel (with a crew of three, if I'm not mistaken). It was passing by and picked up the distress signal sent by one of the commanders aboard the Aurora after the incident. Upon entry to planet 4546B's atmosphere it was hit by the same beam that grounded the Aurora and, since the vessel was a lot smaller than the mining ship destroyed prior, it was blown to smithereens leaving no survivors (that we currently know of).

I'd like to see it, and I'd like to explore what little Sunbeam there is, but I doubt it would be big enough to actually be a point of great interest. Maybe we could find some materials on it, but it did look very far away when it got shot. I doubt that, without this "Warper Technology" and "Arctic Biome" we'll be able to really see the Sunbea, in its full(ish) glory.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    The Sunbeam is a six seater trading vessel (with a crew of three, if I'm not mistaken). It was passing by and picked up the distress signal sent by one of the commanders aboard the Aurora after the incident. Upon entry to planet 4546B's atmosphere it was hit by the same beam that grounded the Aurora and, since the vessel was a lot smaller than the mining ship destroyed prior, it was blown to smithereens leaving no survivors (that we currently know of).

I'd like to see it, and I'd like to explore what little Sunbeam there is, but I doubt it would be big enough to actually be a point of great interest. Maybe we could find some materials on it, but it did look very far away when it got shot. I doubt that, without this "Warper Technology" and "Arctic Biome" we'll be able to really see the Sunbea, in its full(ish) glory.
    CAPSHAW wrote: »
    Okay, if we take the amount of volume missing from the Aurora BEFORE it explodes, there's no way it matches the amount of wrecks there are. It would be nice to have one or two wrecks appear AFTER the Sunbeam crashes. This can give us specific fragments like the nuclear reactor, and other things. IF the Aurora is not a research vessel, but has water-based search and rescue equipment, a nuclear reactor, a bioreactor, and a dark matter drive don't make a lot of sense to have on board. Maybe if the Sunbeam is planning a long-term search and rescue, now for TWO ships, it would make sense to have a nuclear reactor, and a moonpool, Etc,

Yeah, pretty sure given the Sunbeam's size it simply gets vaporized on impact rather than leaving wrecks. Might spawn some scrap metal for us to use, but exploring? Nah. I didn't realize it was so small though. Guess that's why it's obliterated unlike the other two ships.

Part of me thought that some of the wrecks were from past ships and not just the Aurora, the planet does have a history of missing ships after all and being Alterra in origin doesn't necessarily have to mean they came from our ship. But, they're too pristine to be old wrecks so.... :/
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    It says the sunbeam is a trading vessel maybe its a medium size ship about a bit smaller then the degasi it might just have small crew and TONS UPON TONS OF CARGO SPACE so it could be large but low matinenece
  • SnowballSniperSnowballSniper Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224443Members
    edited December 2016

The sunbeam needs to be much larger if it's going to survive the precursor gun.
  • LewsLews Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224410Members
    I agree it should not be Aurora level, but a fairly large new wreck with some useful, mid-game fragments to set us off towards the next phase of the game would be cool.
    Lews wrote: »
    I agree

You forgot to click on the agree button.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    In reality it'd probably be smaller than the Underwater Islands Wreck
    Lews wrote: »
    I agree

You forgot to click on the agree button.

and now you disagree about me reminding you that you forgot to click agree. .__.
  • Number35Number35 Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224491Members

even if it was shot down maybe we could explore its remains?
    The current thought is that the Sunbeam is so small it basically got vaporized into tiny pieces. I'd like to see a Sunbeam black box that you could download, though. That'd be a kind of cool sort-of Easter egg.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    The current thought is that the Sunbeam is so small it basically got vaporized into tiny pieces. I'd like to see a Sunbeam black box that you could download, though. That'd be a kind of cool sort-of Easter egg.

>Sunbeam black box
    >Probably nothing but screaming
    >"Cool"

S'wrong with you m8
    It would also contain trip info (source / route / intended destination / detour to Aurora accident), possibly info about the crew, and cargo manifest. So, useless trivia information.
  • Underwater_SpongeUnderwater_Sponge Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222114Members
    There really isn't any evidence saying the Degrassi was smaller, but think about this: It's a cargo ship, and maybe some cargo was HIGHLY explosive. It would explain why the Degrassi could be salvaged, while the Sunbeam just gets obliterated into tiny specs. I do agree that the explosion should be a bit more spectacular, maybe a second WAPOW after the first KABOOM, but I don't think that salvaging it, and finding it's wreck should be a thing. The Sunbeam arriving should give you hope of winning the game, only for it to be shot down, and your hope getting crushed 'till nothing's left. Making it explorable would give it a different feeling, a feeling that their deaths had use, as their ship can be looted, allowing you to survive. It should feel like their deaths were pointless, and that YOU were the reason they died. Not the PreCursors, YOU, they tried to save you, and you couldn't warn them. To make it truly feel the way I imagine it has to feel, the Sunbeam's destruction can't have any pros, only cons (your hope getting crushed).
    There really isn't any evidence saying the Degrassi was smaller, but think about this: It's a cargo ship, and maybe some cargo was HIGHLY explosive. It would explain why the Degrassi could be salvaged, while the Sunbeam just gets obliterated into tiny specs. I do agree that the explosion should be a bit more spectacular, maybe a second WAPOW after the first KABOOM, but I don't think that salvaging it, and finding it's wreck should be a thing. The Sunbeam arriving should give you hope of winning the game, only for it to be shot down, and your hope getting crushed 'till nothing's left. Making it explorable would give it a different feeling, a feeling that their deaths had use, as their ship can be looted, allowing you to survive. It should feel like their deaths were pointless, and that YOU were the reason they died. Not the PreCursors, YOU, they tried to save you, and you couldn't warn them. To make it truly feel the way I imagine it has to feel, the Sunbeam's destruction can't have any pros, only cons (your hope getting crushed).

Survivor's guilt.

A black box only containing mundane info, plus some detail about the crew (conversations they had on the way to pick up any survivors) would actually accentuate that.