Base beacon?

MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
Greetings,

newcomer here. I'm 17 hours in and really enjoying this fantastic game. I actually waited for my new gaming rig (delivered Friday) before installing Nautica. I'm glad I did as I'm able to see everything at max settings (for the first time) and it is gorgeous. :)

I did a search and I only saw people speaking of subs, moonpools and the like. Since I'm trying to avoid spoilers I hope you don't mind that I ask it here.

My lifepod has drifted a lot since I started. Not a terrible inconvenience as it still stayed in the general vicinity. Now, however, it has drifted away so far I can't even see it. That's fine, my little base only needed the medical fabricator and transmission unit and now, it has both.

The question, of course, is are we unable to build something to mark our base? I still see the lifepod marker but since I can no longer navigate by it I've had to build a vertical tube reaching three sections out of the ocean to give me a landmark for finding my base. :)

Now, back to exploring for my Seamoth blueprints.

Cheers.

Screenshots so far: steamcommunity.com/id/Michlo/screenshots/

Edit: Oops, one more question. I have my base to 51% hull strength. Is there an actual need to take it to 100? Thank you.

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited September 2016
    One of the items you can make from the start is a beacon. It's one of the deployables. You can drop one wherever you please and name it whatever you like (find the panel after deploying it). And pick it back up if you want. It's a little crude for bases not to have a mounted signal device, but the beacon works fine.
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    @Michlo
    Hey! Welcome to the forums :)

1. The life pod isn't currently meant to drift, although you're not the first to have noticed. Another user thought it was an intended feature but then said. :)
    However, the pod drifted back, and I had read since that it's considered a bug.
    2. There is a beacon that does just that! It's built as a deployable via the fabricator :)
    3. Ripped from the wiki "Hull Integrity is a feature that currently affects Seabases. When the player is building their seabase they should pay attention to the hull strength, as it drops each time the player adds a module to their seabase. Once the seabase's hull strength, or Hull Integrity reaches 0 the seabase will flood with water" It's not measured as a percent as far as I know, but rather an actual value. The wiki link is in the spoiler but it may be too much of a spoiler :)
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    I love those beacons. I use them to mark my base AND the Mobile Vehicle Platform (I can't call it a bay because to me it's not some gigantic room where vehicles are made). When I build a seabase I place the bacon under the foundation (I always build one then the base on top of it). Placing bacons on the Mobile Vehicle Platform is a bit more tricky though as I somehow ram them with my Seamoth once in a while...
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    Why mark the Mobile Vehicle Platform? You can pick it back up to store it somewhere by looking at the floor while standing on it.
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    I added this thread suggesting we should be able to place a beacon directly onto our bases, support it if you think it's a good idea. :blush:
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    Thank you very much, everyone. :)

Cheers.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    It is really annoying though - there is no way to turn the beacons on and off selectively (unlike the signals). So the screen gets cluttered!
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    Aye, I can see that which is why I'm using them sparingly.